Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Can shocks please rotate out already so my cost barrier to standard entry is lowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Played the Ayara Brawl deck and noowww I get it! Resolved Bolas's Citadel and do random sacrifice combos and eventually the other guy dies :3:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is double masters coming to arena/going to be historic legal?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kashuno posted:

Is double masters coming to arena/going to be historic legal?

it's very unlikely that any non-standard set ends up on arena with how they're doing it right now, jumpstart being an exception

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

flatluigi posted:

it's very unlikely that any non-standard set ends up on arena with how they're doing it right now, jumpstart being an exception

theyve already said theyre bring amonkhet later this year lmao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gridlocked posted:

Can shocks please rotate out already so my cost barrier to standard entry is lowered.

There are extremely strong mono- White/Red/Green/Black decks right now

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sampatrick posted:

theyve already said theyre bring amonkhet later this year lmao

you know what I meant, dude, don't be an rear end in a top hat

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

flatluigi posted:

They've said that this is the last anthology for a while because of other supplements that are coming to arena instead - how many "exceptions" do there need to be for this to stop being "unlikely"?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Jumpstart lands after M21, Amonkhet lands after Zendikar Rising and Pioneer Masters should be in the dead time of the set after that which takes us to 2021.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gridlocked posted:

This but 6 months ago

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Eej posted:

Jumpstart lands after M21, Amonkhet lands after Zendikar Rising and Pioneer Masters should be in the dead time of the set after that which takes us to 2021.

Amonkhet and Kaladesh aren't part of historic right now?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

flatluigi posted:

you know what I meant, dude, don't be an rear end in a top hat

i have literally no idea what you meant

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Faced my first Arena dev and beat them :smug:

By the way I own a Lamborghini.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jabor posted:

They've said that this is the last anthology for a while because of other supplements that are coming to arena instead - how many "exceptions" do there need to be for this to stop being "unlikely"?

it's very unlikely that a new product they put out in paper ends up on arena, jumpstart being an exception. they've said they're not adding commander products to arena for the time being because of stuff like sol ring, there's zero chance they're adding in a set with mana crypt and stuff of that power level.

the stuff they're doing for arena digitally like the remasters and the anthologies are not coming out on paper and are not what i was talking about.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/ZKiihne/status/1263658959715602434

This is a fun deck

Tezzeract posted:

Amonkhet and Kaladesh aren't part of historic right now?

No. They are very averse to just throwing in packs of non Standard sets into the game because then people will be mad they have to drop currency on opening packs of mostly garbage (because the marginal cards don't get to shine in Standard because they're not in Standard) to get Historic stuff.

e: TIL Siren Stormtamer can counter Ulamog's cast effect lol

Eej fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 22, 2020

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Lmao I completely missed they added timely reinforcements in HA3. I lied Lukka will be all over this format.

Nexus is finally the good guy.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I think this is my first ever 7-0.
I didn't think it would work, not enough 1-cyclers. Weaponize did the most heavy lifting. And I got to cast Wilt twice despite the single green source

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Any final cuts here?

https://www.17lands.com/deck/420b4899d3e24dee85b65da9a61c321a

I got Seas, Thundermane and Startling Development as my first three picks and kinda built from there but it feels a little light on finishers, hence picking the Patagia Tiger, and taking a late Pteron over another cycler.

I never saw any of teh really premium cycling payoffs unfortunately, but hopefully the Seas might be enough to get me over the line.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sedisp posted:

Lmao I completely missed they added timely reinforcements in HA3. I lied Lukka will be all over this format.

Nexus is finally the good guy.

Rampaging Ferocidon is incredible against it at least.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Eej posted:

The Jeskai Lurrus deck is pretty good though

Featherless Feather deck

Does anyone have a list for this?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I just started playing historic and I am thrilled to see that the old standard mono-blue deck based on curious obsession and evasive 1-drops is still viable there. :sickos:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just finished the FNM historic artisan with a selesnya enchantment deck. Was pretty fun. Mono red still seems really strong but all that glitters is just crazy once you get some board presence. Best card was destiny spinner though because being able to poo poo out giant land monsters with trample finished most of the games I played. I can't afford any of the historic cards so it's nice I can just use what I have to play in these.

As always if anyone has any spare codes for the event I'd appreciate one.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Chadzok posted:

I think this is my first ever 7-0.
I didn't think it would work, not enough 1-cyclers. Weaponize did the most heavy lifting. And I got to cast Wilt twice despite the single green source

Congrats! Weaponize is also responsible for my first 7-0 of the format:
https://www.17lands.com/deck/26df6466207e4610ab370b18864ac6e2/3

Card's bananas.

Obosh was P3P1 and I couldn't quite get there to companion it, but it was great as just a card in the deck.

I have to say drafts and games are getting wayyyyy tougher at platinum, winrate has dropped quite a bit.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Osmosisch posted:

I have to say drafts and games are getting wayyyyy tougher at platinum, winrate has dropped quite a bit.

are draft pods put together by rank? I'm thinking they aren't but I have no evidence either way

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Rahu posted:

I just started playing historic and I am thrilled to see that the old standard mono-blue deck based on curious obsession and evasive 1-drops is still viable there. :sickos:

I'm playing my old deck too, its good stuff.

Eej posted:

No. They are very averse to just throwing in packs of non Standard sets into the game because then people will be mad they have to drop currency on opening packs of mostly garbage (because the marginal cards don't get to shine in Standard because they're not in Standard) to get Historic stuff.

Ah alright, I guess it'll be good to do a flashback draft to AHK/HOU.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rahu posted:

You can drop Lurrus into it with the mana base being so good and have recurring Stormtamers or Tricksters. Absolute sicko poo poo.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Rahu posted:

I'm running the artisan version in the event and it's just as disgusting as the regular version

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Loving this so far. All the incidental value beaters they added really made this deck less of a pain in the rear end to pilot. People are still mad as hell about this deck, I'm encountering ropers every other game :negative:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fadam posted:

Loving this so far. All the incidental value beaters they added really made this deck less of a pain in the rear end to pilot. People are still mad as hell about this deck, I'm encountering ropers every other game :negative:

what's in the sideboard?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

AngryBooch posted:

what's in the sideboard?

4 dispute
2 negate
3 gust
2 shifting ceratops
4 love struck beast

Or something very close to that

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

what's in the sideboard?

4x Gust 4x Dispute 2x Negate 2x Drake and 3x Triceratops that I’ve literally never brought in. They’re there for the match up against the highest IQ deck in any format ever, poverty mono-u, but everyone is either playing Caveman Gruul or some Yorion pile. I suspect I’ll probably replace them with Blink of an Eye or more Borrowers because 3cmc Teferi is a big problem.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I played against a deck in plat last night featuring Umori as companion, instants only (!), and a scattering of Erebos'/Thassa's Intervention, Heartless Act, Lazotep Plating (RIP my dead weight/Mire's grasp combo), and Commence the Endgame to refill their hand and put a big zombie body on board. and 35 counterspells, obviously.

also ran into a deck using Offspring's Revenge, Mire Triton, and Tymaret Calls The Dead to cheat out poo poo like Drakuseth, Cavalier of Flame/Night, and recur Fenlurker. Complimented by Syr Konrad, Bastion of Remembrance and Luminous Broodmoth. :haw:

didn't even mind losing to those, felt cool as hell and got me thinking about other deck possibilities.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I don't think Blink of an Eye or Brazen Borrower are particularly great cards against Teferi. I'd try Questing Beast, which even has the minor upside of being a real clock in the mirror.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ungulateman posted:

I don't think Blink of an Eye or Brazen Borrower are particularly great cards against Teferi. I'd try Questing Beast, which even has the minor upside of being a real clock in the mirror.

If you have your infrastructure set up you can bounce Teferi then immediately go off. I’ve found creature based solutions are too slow/expensive/prone to getting chumped.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 22, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Questing Beast seems like way too fair a card for Nexus, you aren't playing any board control cards to help it connect. Just spending 2 mana to bounce Teferi the turn you go off seems like a better plan.

The best creature based answer to Teferi is Sharknado but you're already playing those anyway.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ungulateman posted:

It works great against teferi. Bounce, go off. Don’t bounce until you are ready to use rec

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Questing Beast seems like way too fair a card for Nexus, you aren't playing any board control cards to help it connect. Just spending 2 mana to bounce Teferi the turn you go off seems like a better plan.

The best creature based answer to Teferi is Sharknado but you're already playing those anyway.

Both sides of Sharknado have overperformed in every game I’ve cast them in. Turning your Nexus loops into attackers is situationally spectacular.

It, Uro, and the shortcut to float all mana have made playing this deck substantially less of a pain in the rear end than it used to be.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 22, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Funkdreamer posted:

I'm running the artisan version in the event and it's just as disgusting as the regular version

Can you post the list?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Just beat Jeff Hoogland pretty bad in trad Historic with mono B. He was running mono G Ulamog, just durdled around while I blew poo poo up, stole his hand and ground value out of my one-drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TipTow posted:

Just beat Jeff Hoogland pretty bad in trad Historic with mono B. He was running mono G Ulamog, just durdled around while I blew poo poo up, stole his hand and ground value out of my one-drops.

Mono B looks pretty sick in Historic, not gonna lie.

I'm still gravitating to trying to make Historic Humans happen. Hoping there's a shell that features Meddling Mage, Thalia, and Kitesail Freebooter that disrupts just enough to sneak in 20 damage just across the finish line.