Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

redgubbinz posted:

All this talk of remote PC, and nobody's posted one of the best channels on youtube yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLUE-m2B5xA

Guy pretends to be a sucker falling for tech support scams, wastes hours of their time, pushes the envelope on meme-ing them and finally either reveals what he's doing or "redeems" the "gift cards" they wanted on his fake google play website. Usually the scammer calls offering some sort of nebulous "refund," uses a program like teamviewer to change the target's bank webpage so it shows way too much money, claiming they refunded the target "too much" and demanding they return their money in the form of gift cards. They have scripts to follow and are usually terrible at dealing with curveballs, like for instance a guy pretending to be another scammer as well as the target and getting into a rap battle with the scammer. They're long videos so I just listen in the background most of the time.

Same guy who does this but then hacks them and dumps wanna cry on their network? I love those videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Elviscat posted:

Kastein's going to get real familiar with PO, since his nearest big box hardware store is our craptastic Lowes.

Dunno, with the purdy bridge the gig harbor home depot may be closer for him. Either way, that home cafe up the street from him does a pretty good burger.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

redgubbinz posted:

All this talk of remote PC, and nobody's posted one of the best channels on youtube yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLUE-m2B5xA

Guy pretends to be a sucker falling for tech support scams, wastes hours of their time, pushes the envelope on meme-ing them and finally either reveals what he's doing or "redeems" the "gift cards" they wanted on his fake google play website. Usually the scammer calls offering some sort of nebulous "refund," uses a program like teamviewer to change the target's bank webpage so it shows way too much money, claiming they refunded the target "too much" and demanding they return their money in the form of gift cards. They have scripts to follow and are usually terrible at dealing with curveballs, like for instance a guy pretending to be another scammer as well as the target and getting into a rap battle with the scammer. They're long videos so I just listen in the background most of the time.

On this tangent, there's an excellent two part episode of Reply All in which the host wastes the time of Indian tech support scammers.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Doccers posted:

Dunno, with the purdy bridge the gig harbor home depot may be closer for him. Either way, that home cafe up the street from him does a pretty good burger.

True, they're more equidistant than I thought, the GH HD is a navigational nightmare, but the store itself is much better than Slowes.

I need to start getting back down to Penrose Point down there now that the State Parks are open again.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Elviscat posted:

True, they're more equidistant than I thought, the GH HD is a navigational nightmare, but the store itself is much better than Slowes.

I need to start getting back down to Penrose Point down there now that the State Parks are open again.

We've taken to referring to that area as "the seven circles of hell". Count em.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was gonna say, I've been to both of those as well as the PO MallWart.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm playing the buy a new car game again. Decided I really want a Hakone Edition 86.

Trying to find a dealership willing to play ball is proving frustrating though, only one so far has quoted me pricing and they basically just quoted me msrp and said they couldn't offer more info atm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Repairs are up to $6900 so far and two of those are just estimates based on photos and room dimensions. Deductible is $2K so we'll come in okay on this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Doccers posted:

We've taken to referring to that area as "the seven circles of hell". Count em.

Thankfully I work at Bangor, so I can just stop at the Silverdale one on my way home, pretty much just go to GH for the restaurants, well did go I guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm playing the buy a new car game again. Decided I really want a Hakone Edition 86.

Trying to find a dealership willing to play ball is proving frustrating though, only one so far has quoted me pricing and they basically just quoted me msrp and said they couldn't offer more info atm.

you probably aren't gonna do that well for a single-year "limited edition" that dealers don't get allocated by default

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Elviscat posted:

Thankfully I work at Bangor, so I can just stop at the Silverdale one on my way home, pretty much just go to GH for the restaurants, well did go I guess.

Once stuff open up I want to drop into tides tavern again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban lawn chat:

This Ego mower just made a believer out of me. Since Monday, we've had over 4 1/2" of rain. On the highest setting, the mower still had grass 5" above the deck. I used my first small battery to get maybe 1/8 of the yard done before it died. Put it on the charger to finish up after the main battery died.
Never needed the small battery again, the main battery did everything else.

The neighbor stopped me and said "What IS that thing? I'm struggling having to bag every 2 swipes and you're just walking back and forth!"

It's that good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you probably aren't gonna do that well for a single-year "limited edition" that dealers don't get allocated by default

That's why I'm shotgunning dealers across the province. I can afford the car, I just need to find someone willing to sell it to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

That's why I'm shotgunning dealers across the province. I can afford the car, I just need to find someone willing to sell it to me.

good luck, post pictures!!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I bought some fresh yeast the other day and.. and I was (still am) kind of clueless what to do with it. My friend who told me that's all she uses when baking said to divide it into 10 pieces and freeze it. When I unwrapped it, it does NOT SMELL GOOD at all, but my friend said when she was a little girl in Europe in the 80s her Grandma use to let her eat some as a treat when baking so she urged me to give it a try. So, as I was packaging it up, against my better judgement, I ate a small amount of some. Definitely less than a teaspoon. If I had to guess, half of one. Tasted actually fairly neutral - better than it smelled... but really not exactly something I'd call pleasant and certainly not what I would call a treat.

But then, about an hour or so later... it began.

I had gas for about 2-3 hours that was worse than I've ever had. Paint peeling, neighbors calling Hazmat disposal bad. Worse than when I was on an all burger king diet for 3 days driving across the midwest US bad.

I'd let one go, the cats looked at me, ears flattened.. couple seconds later let another one go, and they ran away. Mrs. Slidebite came downstairs rounded the corner and let out a WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT???! IS THAT FROM YOU???? (Mrs. Slidebite is a very meek, quiet, lady like woman). At that moment another one slipped out, so there was no denying it. and I was banished out to the garage. I needed to open the overhead door to let it out, it was worse than 20 year old burned diff oil. People were walking by (I live in a neighborhood with lots of couples walking around in the evening) and I noticed some people looking towards the open garage, but I dared not make eye contact. Pretty sure I heard mutterings along the lines of "what the christ is that?" at least twice.

After about an hour, I had a group online Taekwondo workout so I came back in and headed to the basement. I had an evil glare from the Mrs. as I sheepishly re-entered the house and immediately took the hard left downstairs. Grabbed my uniform and commenced the online training. Every major leg movement (remember this is TKD so legs move a lot) another one would go, and then another one. Finally around 10PM it subsided but I slept in the spare room to be safe and left a window open on the main floor to air out the residual.

Moral: No. Do not eat yeast straight up. Ever. In hindsight, I think it might have been especially bad because I had a nice glass of pineapple juice before I ate the yeast so I suspect the yeast was very happy devouring the sugars , but yeah. Don't do it... European "treat" be damned.

Photo of fresh yeast. Just don't buy it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Suburban lawn chat:

This Ego mower just made a believer out of me. Since Monday, we've had over 4 1/2" of rain. On the highest setting, the mower still had grass 5" above the deck. I used my first small battery to get maybe 1/8 of the yard done before it died. Put it on the charger to finish up after the main battery died.

The neighbor stopped me and said "What IS that thing? I'm struggling having to bag every 2 swipes and you're just walking back and forth!"

It's that good.

Yeah these things own. We're supposed to have rain all weekend so by the time I get to mow again my yard will probably be in a similar state only not nearly as pretty.

Seriously though that's a nice lookin yard

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ego chat: Pops is incredibly hard to get gifts for. The Ryobi 40v string trimmer has been a big hit. No more struggling with 2 strokes ate up by ethanol.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
There are two hazing gags in the beer industry. One is eating a slug of brewer's yeast, dried or liquid, and the other is eating hops. You found the yeast outcome, hops will numb your mouth for quite a while.

Also, drinking a lot of unfiltered beer like homebrew will start you down the gas warfare path.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Suburban lawn chat:

Yep, I was blown away how mine (Ryobi) would just plow through thick grass that my gas mower would bog down in.

Never going back to gas powered yard tools again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Oh and a coworker just gave me his ego string trimmer and a 2.5 amp/hr battery because he bought a new model. Needs a new trimmer head but gently caress yeah free tools.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

Oh and a coworker just gave me his ego string trimmer and a 2.5 amp/hr battery because he bought a new model. Needs a new trimmer head but gently caress yeah free tools.

He probably got the "new" one (came out last year IIRC) that does automatic winding when you need to refill the head with string.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

half a teaspoon in a nice warm anaerobic environment with lots of sugars is like, ideal for yeasts

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah these things own. We're supposed to have rain all weekend so by the time I get to mow again my yard will probably be in a similar state only not nearly as pretty.

Seriously though that's a nice lookin yard

Thanks. I was introduced to "lawn dominance" by the husband of my wife's best friend. There's a guy on Youtube that espouses the benefit of dominating your neighbors. I laughed when he suggested it, but since then, I've realized that is exactly what I've been doing for a couple decades.

The lawn situation in suburbia is for real, yo.

My secrets -- overfeed. I have a 15000 sqft lot, but I put down the fertilizer for 15000 sqft of space. My house and mulch beds have huge footprints, so actual grass area is around 9000sqft. This gets the grass just to the burnout threshold. Over time, it makes the grass stupid dark and green. The other secret is to keep the grass long. That lets the grass self-shade during the summer, which helps in the burning/drought months. Plus, it makes the grass thrust its roots down during that time.

The reality, though, is that my yard took one hell of a hit last year, either from heat or grubs, and it is 20% dead space right now. It's a bit of a bummer, but hopefully the overseed I did last week will help fill in before it browns out by mid June. :rolleyes:

suburban life is hard.

Geoj posted:

He probably got the "new" one (came out last year IIRC) that does automatic winding when you need to refill the head with string.

Probably. That new head looks baller, but the battery he gave away did 1/8 of my yard. All the Ego batteries are interchangable and the little ones can get you out of a bind when using the mower.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Another 'secret' is to pay extra for the good seed from a grass seed retailer. The stuff you get at the hardware store, even the premium label, is crap.

For example: https://www.preferredseed.com/category/?cid=55

There is a national turf seed rating program where they grow all kinds of grass in different climates in the US, NTEP, if you want to dive in deep. Some of the newer grasses just turn darker green when they go dormant, they don't turn brown.

meatpimp is absolutely right about length, something like 3-5" is a good spot and with good grass it will feel so soft and lush. Additionally, you stress the grass more when you cut off larger amounts of the blade, so longer grass (and more frequent cuttings) will help keep stress as low as possible.

re: dominating, I overheard my neighbor complaining to guests that our improved lawn made hers look bad 🥰

taqueso fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 23, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My horrible boss I've had for the past two years is leaving my office! He hosed everything up and made it 5x as hard to get work done as necessary, so I'm smoking some pork butt, and my coworkers are gonna come over for beers in celebration.

gently caress yeah.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The thumbnail looks like you've got a small scale steam locomotive going there. I bet your neighbors are all wishing they had some smoked pork right about now, drat

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

taqueso posted:

Another 'secret' is to pay extra for the good seed from a grass seed retailer. The stuff you get at the hardware store, even the premium label, is crap.

There is a national turf seed rating program where they grow all kinds of grass in different climates in the US, NTEP, if you want to dive in deep. Some of the newer grasses just turn darker green when they go dormant, they don't turn brown.

meatpimp is absolutely right about length, something like 3" is a good spot and with good grass it will feel so soft and lush. Additionally, you stress the grass more when you cut off larger amounts of the blade, so longer grass (and more frequent cuttings) will help keep stress as low as possible.

re: dominating, I overheard my neighbor complaining to guests that our improved lawn care hers look bad 🥰

God drat. You just upped my game.

Elviscat posted:

My horrible boss I've had for the past two years is leaving my office! He hosed everything up and made it 5x as hard to get work done as necessary, so I'm smoking some pork butt, and my coworkers are gonna come over for beers in celebration.

gently caress yeah.

gently caress yeah, indeed!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

gently caress yeah.

How are you liking that smoker? I've read things about the auger loving up on it and not getting enough or too many pellets.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Goddammit Ohio two beauty salons, a tanning salon, a tattoo parlor, a barber shop and a tobacco store

:ughh:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 22, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I love it, I've burned through about 140lbs in pellets since I got it last summer, did my family's Thanksgiving turkey on it, which was amazing, I never use the oven for any sort of meat anymore, since you can dial in any temp you want, pretty much. You don't get much extra from turning it way up to do burgers and dogs, but it's extremely convenient to do so.

I've had a few issues with reliability when all the way down at "smoke" temperature, since the low-temp cutout that turns the auger off is a little too far inside the hysteresis of how evenly it can control temperature. No other reliability problems, word is that they're trying as hard as possible to rebound from the quality issues they had switching manufacturing to China. Repair parts availability and repairability seem pretty decent.

My neighbors might be jealous, but their only chance of seeing/smelling me is when they drive by, there's no visible houses from my house.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

Godspeed, 86s are fun as hell despite not being all that fast in a straight line. Definitely feels faster than it is.

I'm looking to pick up another one in a month or so (RIP my previous one, died to financial uncertainty) but I'm thinking of grabbing something in the neighbourhood of a 2015 since I'd rather just write a dealership a cheque and hand them my garbage Impala and drive away with no strings attached. At worst I'd maybe cover dealership fees and whatnot with a line of credit and then just pay that off ASAP since I have no other debts and I don't want to go back to *that* crap.

e: The dangerous part is having to check every single carfax because any sports car or similar originally purchased and eventually sold in the Vancouver area is likely to have at least $3000 in easily-avoidable damage claims to it. Anything priced suspiciously low is likely to be north of $10k in claims but still a clean title, probably due to separate incidents.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 23, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

86’s seem particularly bad about having accident damage. Any time I see a decent price on a FRS/BRZ/86 I google the vin and see nice pics of the front end destroyed.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Same guy who does this but then hacks them and dumps wanna cry on their network? I love those videos.

Oh, Malcolm Merlyn? Him and a couple others do that, even shutting entire call centers down with call flooding so they can't use any of their lines.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I love that kinda stuff. What are they gonna do about it, sue? Telemarketers and scammers breaking the law are great fun to gently caress with.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Anyone else receive their EIP payment on a prepaid debit card? I was suspicious at first but after some googling it appears this is A Thing.

The website sucks rear end.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Surprise! The owner is a mechanic!

I'm not STR, there's no blow by blow account here - so just have a laugh at the latest victim of this loving car's unbelievable ability to humble anyone that touches it... because the motor that came out also completely and utterly refused to start and the motor that went in was a known working one

The car is cursed, obviously. It won't matter what engine you put in it - it's the car.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So twice now, Amazon decided to charge me for a show that was supposedly included in prime video, halfway through the series.

Basically it's "included" until you get invested in the series, then all of a sudden you are not allowed to watch unless you pay, and you're going to pay because you're not going to just stop watching halfway through the season right? What a loving racket.

Bajaha posted:

Time to fly the Jolly Roger.

This, And I refuse to feel guilty when they pull that poo poo.
Also, when there *was* just a couple of services I could subscribe to and pay for what I want to watch, but now there's, what, six of them? And ccost more than cable did in the bad old days. gently caress off.

meatpimp posted:

Suburban lawn chat:

It's that good.

Hmmm.
I will consider that one when my 20 year old MTD finally dies (if it ever does - old-school side-valve Briggs. It's been a trooper, but I'm getting tired of gas small engines.) My other candidate is Ryobi 40V, and the matching weed whacker.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Coredump posted:

86’s seem particularly bad about having accident damage. Any time I see a decent price on a FRS/BRZ/86 I google the vin and see nice pics of the front end destroyed.

Mmmyep. Dudes who think they're in a Fast and Furious movie like to do the pedal dance and then go sideways without knowing how to make the car go straight again.

Last night I saw a 2014 FR-S on autotrader.ca for $11,900 CAD, which is super low (median is like, $15k CAD). Carfax report had two separate collisions totalling $10k in repairs and an unknown reason comprehensive claim for $3.5k (so probably a hit and run). Definitely going to pass on that one.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

if it ever does - old-school side-valve Briggs..

Enjoy your forever mower.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

taqueso posted:

meatpimp is absolutely right about length, something like 3" is a good spot and with good grass it will feel so soft and lush. Additionally, you stress the grass more when you cut off larger amounts of the blade, so longer grass (and more frequent cuttings) will help keep stress as low as possible.

re: dominating, I overheard my neighbor complaining to guests that our improved lawn made hers look bad 🥰

I live in a new neighborhood. They bulldozed all the soil right down to clay and threw sod on top. It used to be lush farmland before they developed it. Could have been promising but the developer hosed it.
Everyone in my neighborhood struggled to keep their sod alive for 2 years; watering daily, constantly feeding and seeding and whatnot. It was useless.
I had spent the time slowly adding gypsum and topsoil and mixing it in. I have a nice thatch layer that is the dead sod so my yard doesn't wash away completely. It looked like utter poo poo while everyone else had some semblance of "grass" which would get constantly taken over by weeds.

This past fall I finally bit the bullet and put one last layer of topsoil down followed by a couple applications of fertilizer. That week it rained a lot and the next weekend I overseeded the hell out of it after it got cold and all the geese left.
This spring I had the greenest most lush lawn in the entire neighborhood. loving clovers the size of your hand. It is amazing. Yes, I let the clover live. I love clover and it's very good for the soil.
I had to mow that thing like every 4 days while everyone elses' sod is finally giving up. My poor neighbor puts like 10 hours a week into her lawn to get it to just stay alive and my other neighbor gave up completely and his lawn is just dirt.
I'm still mowing like every 4 days.
I got a shitton of spring chikweed but I'm about to weed-and-feed tomorrow after it rains tonight and I'm sure I'll be in for another bout of "holy gently caress my lawn won't stop growing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I live in a new neighborhood. They bulldozed all the soil right down to clay and threw sod on top. It used to be lush farmland before they developed it. Could have been promising but the developer hosed it.
Everyone in my neighborhood struggled to keep their sod alive for 2 years; watering daily, constantly feeding and seeding and whatnot. It was useless.
I had spent the time slowly adding gypsum and topsoil and mixing it in. I have a nice thatch layer that is the dead sod so my yard doesn't wash away completely. It looked like utter poo poo while everyone else had some semblance of "grass" which would get constantly taken over by weeds.

This past fall I finally bit the bullet and put one last layer of topsoil down followed by a couple applications of fertilizer. That week it rained a lot and the next weekend I overseeded the hell out of it after it got cold and all the geese left.
This spring I had the greenest most lush lawn in the entire neighborhood. loving clovers the size of your hand. It is amazing. Yes, I let the clover live. I love clover and it's very good for the soil.
I had to mow that thing like every 4 days while everyone elses' sod is finally giving up. My poor neighbor puts like 10 hours a week into her lawn to get it to just stay alive and my other neighbor gave up completely and his lawn is just dirt.
I'm still mowing like every 4 days.
I got a shitton of spring chikweed but I'm about to weed-and-feed tomorrow after it rains tonight and I'm sure I'll be in for another bout of "holy gently caress my lawn won't stop growing."

Hmm. Spend lots of money and time fertilizing and watering your lawn so you can spend more time and money mowing it twice a week.

What a deal.