Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Happy New Year!
This poll is closed.
Happy New Year! 38 22.22%
This year's going to suck too! 78 45.61%
Wait, it's still 2019! 17 9.94%
Zzzzzzzzzz 38 22.22%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been a regular listener to the ANNCast for like a decade and this news just feels so unreal. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, the Isekai Quartet episode about dodgeball has shaken my faith in Japan as an advanced society.

I mean, ketchup and mayo as condiments for chicken wings?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
do you by any chance live in the high fructose corn syrup states of america

everything about condiments in japan and many other countries is more advanced than in the us. i dunno about mayo but i've had ketchup made with tomatoes and sugar and wow is it good and completely different

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Frysause is delicious and I wouldn't even begin to imagine how it would taste with japanese mayo instead of ours.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Space Flower posted:

everything about condiments in japan and many other countries is more advanced than in the us. i dunno about mayo but i've had ketchup made with tomatoes and sugar and wow is it good and completely different

Superior ketchup and mayo are irrelevant. Chicken wings are a hot sauce delivery system.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Space Flower posted:

Hold up what do you mean ketchup made with tomatoes and sugar?

That's ... all ketchup right?

Do Americans ... not use tomatoes in their tomato ketchup?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

super-redguy posted:

Dunno where you're from but tomato ketchup has tomatoes in it in :911:. Added sugar and HFCS too, but it's mostly tomato.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the best thing about working in a restaurant that makes their own ketchup is the boomers who would come in and leave heinz packets (one time someone left a whole heinz bottle in their table's caddy)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

super-redguy posted:

Hold up what do you mean ketchup made with tomatoes and sugar?

That's ... all ketchup right?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lmao

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Superior ketchup and mayo are irrelevant. Chicken wings are a hot sauce delivery system.

???

We're talking about Japan here. Nothing in that country is spicy. Even the spicy poo poo. :colbert:

Now, their coffee consumption is a different story.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlternateNu posted:

???

We're talking about Japan here. Nothing in that country is spicy. Even the spicy poo poo. :colbert:

This is the problem, yes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

I remember this guy calling the dies irae translator a nazi for saying posting cult propaganda was bad. Good times

I get that the guy had a lot of dumb opinions, but maybe don't relish in his death and poo poo in an open grave.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i forgot but yeah the black kimono girl is from

Cuntellectual posted:

himegoto by the hatsukoi zombie guy

"good himegoto" aka himegoto juukyuusai no seifuku

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

I get that the guy had a lot of dumb opinions, but maybe don't relish in his death and poo poo in an open grave.
i wasnt doing that but if you want me to i can

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i forgot but yeah the black kimono girl is from

"good himegoto" aka himegoto juukyuusai no seifuku
*takes off sunglasses* what if i told you there was no bad himegoto

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

more like hatsukoi zombie is by the himegoto guy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I read the other himegoto, its pretty medicore

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

has there ever been a mecha series set when mechas are like being obseloted as a technology like battleships in the early 40s.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hime Gotou :3:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stairmaster posted:

has there ever been a mecha series set when mechas are like being obseloted as a technology like battleships in the early 40s.

Has there ever been a series that answers why robot war vehicles would have an obvious weakness like mechanical, jointed legs in the first place? Like, I know it's stupid of me, but I've never been able to see one of those mechas without wondering why nobody just blows the legs off one of them and leaves it flopping around on the ground barely able to move.

I think it comes from a lifetime of studying IRL armored vehicles.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Has there ever been a series that answers why robot war vehicles would have an obvious weakness like legs in the first place? Like, I know it's stupid of me, but I've never been able to see one of those mechas without wondering why nobody just blows the legs off one of them and leaves it flopping around on the ground barely able to move.

It doesn't answer it, but Hands off the Eizouken asks this very same question, about how a humanoid mech for fighting would be woefully inefficient compared to other options when developing a war mech.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

*takes off sunglasses* what if i told you there was no bad himegoto

i trust snooze's research enough to keep the meme alive just once

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Has there ever been a series that answers why robot war vehicles would have an obvious weakness like mechanical, jointed legs in the first place? Like, I know it's stupid of me, but I've never been able to see one of those mechas without wondering why nobody just blows the legs off one of them and leaves it flopping around on the ground barely able to move.

I think it comes from a lifetime of studying IRL armored vehicles.
because its cool, op

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

I remember this guy calling the dies irae translator a nazi for saying posting cult propaganda was bad. Good times
That reads like a really dumb opinion/thing to say in general. Still a shame he bought the farm, though.

Also, pure-rear end sliced tomatoes > ketchup, especially if the sandwich/burger/hot-dog is solid as it is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

homeless snail posted:

because its cool, op

I know this but I just can't feel it myself because an annoying part of my brain is always screaming "shoot the leg shoot the leg" or wondering how much the unit cost of those mechs got increased because of the decision to base them on the human body. It's an absolute curse, I tell you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the best mecha justification is in like episode 2 of macross when hikaru shoots down a regult and a 30 foot tall zentradi crawls out of it, and roy focker is like "this is why we built the robots, so we'd be on even terms with the aliens"

in stuff like gundam and patlabor they're derived from industrial robots, basically forklifts with legs. do forklifts need legs idk

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Powerful Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Go8bY3Jms&t=1258s

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't the Kill 6 Billion Demons author known for designing far-out mecha designs for a tabletop RPG or something?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

There's not really a reason to shoot for the legs and maybe incapacitate it rather than just aiming for the center of it and blowing it up in a cool explosion. Also the legs are an excuse to basically just draw humans fighting eachother but instead of humans its cool gundams instead.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Powerful Scene

This scene is 99% of the reason I will not cancel SDF Macross for its transgressions.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

This scene is 99% of the reason I will not cancel SDF Macross for its transgressions.
is this scene the other 1%, or is is the knife fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPDQsxici0

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
watching KILL LA KILL for the first time

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

verbal enema posted:

watching KILL LA KILL for the first time

It was a good show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Not quite obsoleted but the plot of Dai Guard is a company piloting a 12 year old decommissioned Robot to fight alien monster invaders

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

is this scene the other 1%, or is is the knife fight

They really failed to make Milia seem like an ace pilot in the show, especially with her losing to a sandbagging Maximilian Jenius.

In conclusion, I've decided the other 1% is My Boyfriend is a Pilot.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Not really mecha being obsoleted but in Gundam Wing they start bringing in AI-controlled mobile suits and it upends everything, which is neat.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't the mechas the earth-bound characters have in Aldnoah.Zero also notoriously crappy due to being explicitly obsolete compared to what the antagonists have?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Cappy posted:

It was a good show.

Mato slapping the poo poo outta the Ryuko Senkentsu amalgam has me rolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Full Metal Panic has some boring rear end mechas but the girls are cute so ya win some lose some