Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Lost meant a lot to a lot of people, and while it's obviously fine to cut on it under the zeitgeist opinion that it was worthless pointless hogshit I think directly calling those people out is in poor spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm sorry but if you actually had faith :lost: was going somewhere then lol
It wasn't like there was a bad finale and suddenly everyone turned on it, people were making fun of its trash nonsense writing for years before it ended.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Daikloktos posted:

Lost meant a lot to a lot of people, and while it's obviously fine to cut on it under the zeitgeist opinion that it was worthless pointless hogshit I think directly calling those people out is in poor spirit.

It took me a few years to accept the fact that nobody in my social circles liked Lost as much as I did.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Solitair posted:

It took me a few years to accept the fact that nobody in my social circles liked Lost as much as I did.
Yeah, it's frustrating that it's one of my favourite media and I just have to quietly laugh along when people start bagging on it so hard. Even generally empathetic people who will grant your perspective when you explain what you appreciate about popularly-questionable things will flatly shut you down. Maddening.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I didn't really have a problem with the Battlestar Galactica finale because that worldview was set up pretty early on in the series, but the later seasons definitely struggle a lot with reconciling the characters' journeys with how they wanted to end, and have a bunch of plot twists that kind of come out of nowhere.

I've never liked Lost, so the ending being widely panned didn't particularly surprise me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes endings can be so heinously disappointing and unearned that it calls the entire project into question and retroactively consumes the goodwill.

The best example is Game of Thrones. I’ve only watched the first 3 seasons with my brother and we’re both enjoying it, but that show was literally the most popular program on TV maybe ever. You couldn’t log on or really go anywhere or do anything without hearing about GoT and then the ending was so terrible that its entire ravenous fan base basically stopped giving a poo poo overnight.

People still worship comic books and movies and video games from 20 years ago, but no one at any convention or nerd festival wants anything to do with Game of Thrones anymore, because the ending was apparently such garbage it retroactively makes the rest of the show bad. My understanding is LOST was essential the precursor to this phenomenon, sounds like BSG was pretty bad as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean the BSG ending was okay, I enjoyed it fine to be honest. It just felt kind of insulting how blithely it abandoned all its promises of tying up loose ends and long-predicted coherent answers to things and gave an emotionally satisfying, yet just kind of confusing and dull, conclusion.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The first half season eight was fine, but yeah, Game of Thrones just kind of ends, in a way that makes it feel like there wasn't really any point to all the intrigue or some overall theming that got wrapped up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GoT turns into hyping up the series finale after all they ran out of book material. It was very much and they have a plan being toter in front of you for years.

That makes all the hype meaningless. There were good season finales but they always felt like they were still hyping up the series finale.

First 3 seasons is probably right I'm not going to check you might have 1 more good season. I also bet if you know the series ending is disappointing you wont hop on the hope train so you might actually like it. Hype is a bastard.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked all of GoT, for what it's worth, and I didn't mind the ending. It was just obvious that they didn't know where to pivot the series after the books ended, so they didn't pivot to anything, so it just ends with a shrug.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m just saying that in my community/age group it was literally the only TV show I can remember absolutely everyone being completely into. People from disparate social circles could all talk about GoT and took spoilers super seriously, etc. and then seemingly overnight it turned into like a Voldemort style bad word where everyone tried to just memory hole something they were hardcore obsessed with for years.

Bojack’s ending makes me want to just watch the show again, in comparison, but not yet. I’m not very stable because of the pandemic, I don’t know that I could make it through any single season without a full on weepy breakdown, this show gets me in the feels like a laser guided missile.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

“I want to give them something terrific,” he says. “What if I gently caress it up at the end? What if I do a Lost? Then they’ll come after me with pitchforks and torches.” - GRRM, The New Yorker, 2011

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I didn't really have a problem with the Battlestar Galactica finale because that worldview was set up pretty early on in the series

I didn’t hate it the way most people seem to, as well. It leaned a little too hard on God did it as an explanation, and some of the character endings were frustrating. But some like Roslin’s death and Adama’s reaction to it were gutting and excellent. And yeah: Bear McCreary loving killed it, the whole way through.

The same could be said of GoT and Ramin Djawadi, as that goes. The later seasons sucked, but the music is loving incredible. “The Light of the Seven” and “The Night King” in particular are next level...he does some incredible things with a piano.

Edit:

To make this about Bojack, I think it landed the ending pretty well. “The View from Halfway Down” is such a good culmination of past motifs and plot points, I kind of don’t mind if the actual finale felt anticlimactic by comparison.

It being anticlimactic feels like kind of the point, too: real life doesn’t have endings. You kind of keep going, and seldom get the catharsis you want.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 21, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I liked the ending of BSG too. Maybe it helped that I watched it long after it ended and binged through it pretty quickly. Also I always treated it as B-grade fun rather than a serious drama so maybe I was more willing to let things slide. "God did it" was actually kind of awesome imo, even though it was a literal deus ex machina. Religion being real in a sci fi space opera was a fun twist. Also, not directly ending related, but Gaius Baltar is one of my all-time favourite TV characters, that guy never failed to entertain.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo, the background gag here.

Kristen Schaal is a horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvd6MBsiDBo

This was S6 right? Brody Steven committed suicide earlier in 2019, so it was a nice tribute.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RaphaelBW/status/1241839145833467905?s=20

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Should have been Bobo the depressed talking zebra.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That’s too much, man.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Starting a month before season 6 was announced and then reading through the better chunk of a decade of posts here saying, "I think Bojack's gonna take up running and get better next season!" was a fun ride.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah I pretty much did this and it owned.

Same here. So glad I did, what a great show. Though I wish I started earlier, this thread elevated my appreciation.

A few months before I started, I threw out a bunch of notebooks and papers from when I was younger. When I saw "Good Damage", I was floored. My situation wasn't exactly like Diane's, but back then I would write about my own life and struggles as a way to practice long-form writing. Some of it was helpful in the past, but most wasn't and I carried those old notebooks with me through moves, jobs, relationships. I was carrying literal and figurative baggage and realized I was way late on moving on.

"Good Damage" and "Stupid Piece of poo poo" both really struck me. Later I realized that their devices closely matched the short story "Good Old Neon" by David Foster Wallace, one of my all time favorites. The point of this post is to recommend that story for anybody that really clicked with those two episodes. The resemblance is undeniable. I wonder if the writers were inspired by it*. I would not call it a homage though, because the themes of all three media are just what goes on in the heads of manic people crippled by self-doubt, who can't get out of their own way, who are hobbled by a "vicious infinite regress" of ill thoughts.

*Some showrunners were familiar with DFW because his non-fiction book "Consider the Lobster" appears in PC's office throughout the show.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
This is only marginally related, but in the last 2 days I completely plowed through Raphael Bob-Waksberg and Kate Purdy's next show, Undone. Going in, the less you know the better, but it's kind of like all the introspective mind-gently caress episodes of Bojack done in the same rotoscoped style of A Scanner Darkly. It's available through Amazon Prime Video, only 8 episodes, and each is about 25 minutes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stryder posted:

This is only marginally related, but in the last 2 days I completely plowed through Raphael Bob-Waksberg and Kate Purdy's next show, Undone. Going in, the less you know the better, but it's kind of like all the introspective mind-gently caress episodes of Bojack done in the same rotoscoped style of A Scanner Darkly. It's available through Amazon Prime Video, only 8 episodes, and each is about 25 minutes.
I checked it out. This is a loving pro recommendation, y'all.

I was once in a dissociative coma and it gave me flashbacks.

Edit: I should warn you all that the show plays with the "what if people with mental illnesses are actually special and their meds are bad" trope, which is unfortunate and can be triggering for some, so, just a warning.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 5, 2020

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Bust Rodd posted:

Bojack’s ending makes me want to just watch the show again, in comparison, but not yet. I’m not very stable because of the pandemic, I don’t know that I could make it through any single season without a full on weepy breakdown, this show gets me in the feels like a laser guided missile.

I was not ready to be emotionally coldcocked when I heard Diane and Bojack talk at the end of "The View From Halfway Down." I was just a goddamn wreck. It's unfair that this is the same show that created Vincent Adultman.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I couldn't find a Tuca and Bertie thread so...

IT'S BACK BABYYYYYY:

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1263872025426190337

HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

IT'S BACK BABYYYYYY:

This sincerely gives me hope I’m so H Y P E D!!!!!!!!!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Oh poo poo! I really didn't see this coming, but super happy it is.

I bet it's because you can't make live action shows due to covid-19 so Netflix is greenlighting whatever content it can still make including more animation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

IT'S BACK BABYYYYYY:

whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It was a loving crime that Tuca and Bertie wasn't picked up for a second season straight away, super happy about this

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I dont know posted:

Oh poo poo! I really didn't see this coming, but super happy it is.

I bet it's because you can't make live action shows due to covid-19 so Netflix is greenlighting whatever content it can still make including more animation.

it's not netflix though

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Asema posted:

it's not netflix though

Didn't notice that. I guess they sold the show. So much for my theory.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

What? Oh my God! Virtue is inherent in the universe!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Adult Swim delivers yet again. Hopefully they can shore up a good relationship, they're losing all their Fox syndication and need a strong stable.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MORE AND DIFFERENT ARTWORK

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well this is just FANTASTIC news!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's pretty fitting that the show not-about crippling depression managed to pull out a hopeful resolution, this is some happy news

:stoked:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm super hyped about this, although I hope the animation isn't downgraded too much. Adult Swim shows have a uh, history.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully Adult Swim gives it a fair chance and it doesn't become another show they randomly shove in at 1:00 AM on random Fridays and Sundays, though they usually do give the higher budget shows more attention.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Adult Swim is FLUSH with that fresh Rick & Morty money and I'm certain the adult animation field is small enough that they do their best to support each other so it's easy to see this pick up. I wonder if they'll get S1 reruns as well?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

does adult swim still do 15 minute cartoons? i usually find that to be an optimal length for animated comedy

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad Adult Swim's app is cooler than CN's own app.

So hopefully I'll be able to watch season 2 without having to resort to using sketchy websites.

Awesome news. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Does the AS app not have any issues with the audio noticeably desyncing after a few minutes? I’ve been watching some of their shows on their site with my iPad’s browser, and I’ve been running into that in the past couple of weeks after no prior issues.