Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

...! posted:

What if I said you're both :wrong:

:thunk:

This is like the 50th time you've used that emoji in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MikusR posted:

Xcloud uses literary same soc as Xbox One S. Add to that unified cooling and DC power and you get something that's more energy efficient.

and then you turn on your pc to play and wipe out the savings

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My CPU gets hotter when I'm watching Twitch (streaming H.264 video) than when I'm gaming.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I can imagine some large multiplayer games embracing the "celebrity" status/attraction of large streamers so that you'd get in-game alerts whenever they're online (in your shared lobby or whatever) or possibly incentives to play in the same space as them. However, no matter how I try to wrap my head around it, the idea of having random players interact with streamers in a live environment just sounds like a recipe for poo poo unless the streamers are afforded more power than regular players in some way.

I don't think it will stop publishers from trying, though.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

American McGay posted:

My CPU gets hotter when I'm watching Twitch (streaming H.264 video) than when I'm gaming.

definitely uses less power than a 2080ti though. A GPU at full load draws a shitload more power than a mostly idle cpu or a chromebook, this power draw argument is stupid as hell.
it's not bitcoin, it's a negligible difference and there are plenty other reasons to make fun of stadia.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ErrEff posted:

I can imagine some large multiplayer games embracing the "celebrity" status/attraction of large streamers so that you'd get in-game alerts whenever they're online (in your shared lobby or whatever) or possibly incentives to play in the same space as them. However, no matter how I try to wrap my head around it, the idea of having random players interact with streamers in a live environment just sounds like a recipe for poo poo unless the streamers are afforded more power than regular players in some way.

It's already the reason that a lot of multiplayer streamers broadcast on a delay. Otherwise you can effectively screen-peek them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ErrEff posted:

It's one of those parasocial things that makes sense only to the fans because they have dreams of playing with their favourite streamer(s) and being as cool as them by association. Whereas any streamer wants a relatively-controlled environment with friends/teammates they can trust not to scream racial slurs the first time they die.

And developers are always going to favour the streamer's side in designing anything that interacts with how the audience interacts with their gameplay, because the streamers are the ones that actually make them money as influencers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ErrEff posted:

many streamers will name their accounts something like O00O0OO00O specifically so people they play with don't know who they are

people already try to stream-snipe and do other bullshit to mess with them. imagine if 50% of the server was trying to target you, and the other 50% was running around yelling "hey ninja come take a screenshot with me!"

part of the attraction of watching a streamer is that they play the same game as you, only they're really really good at it. if streamers get their game changed so that in some way they're not playing the same game as a normal person is it won't be as fun to watch.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Klyith posted:

Also Stadia turns off your game after 15 minutes idle. Have you ever wandered off and left a game running, then got distracted and only came back hours later and been like "oops did I not turn this off?" If so, you've wasted more electricity than stadia's eco-conscious timeout.

I lived with someone who was really really annoying about that: rather than save and quit a game when he was done, he would just turn off the monitor and leave. Including to sleep, so the game would be on the whole night. It took a whole lot of yelling about it to finally cut that out. And I was bitching about it being hot in the summer, not the electricity.

You know there's power save settings on all modern consoles right

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I agree with all of you guys' points. My cynical take is just that I'm sure there will be a game soon-ish that will try to challenge this streamer/non-streamer dynamic and offer celebrity status to streamers that decide to take part in an attempt to boost view numbers, and some people will take them up on it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ErrEff posted:

Yeah, I agree with all of you guys' points. My cynical take is just that I'm sure there will be a game soon-ish that will try to challenge this streamer/non-streamer dynamic and offer celebrity status to streamers that decide to take part in an attempt to boost view numbers, and some people will take them up on it.

Also it will involve "ironic" nazism and be Pewdiepie.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Just reading this, I know exactly which reddit user this is from. I don't think this guy is a paid shill, but I do think he's delusional and conversations with him in the past have revealed that he knows very little about the technology he proclaims that he works on.

Considering he claims Google could make ~$200 million/year on average over the next decade even if they stopped updating it now, I think delusional is the only way to describe it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MikusR posted:

Xcloud uses literary same soc as Xbox One S. Add to that unified cooling and DC power and you get something that's more energy efficient.

Most people don't need active cooling for their home console, so it really does not matter how efficient their cooling is. Add to that people are sometimes streaming on the console itself, killing a big part of the advantage.

Cloud computing in general may be energy efficient, but the idea that cloud gaming is more efficient is almost certainly not true under any circumstance. Hell it's probably the least ideal use of cloud infrastructure from an efficiency perspective: extremely low resource sharing and extremely high data transfer. Anyway all this poo poo is easily Googleable.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Stadia Pro: Remove Youtube advertisements

Since we are already paying google for stadia pro, it would be pretty nice if we could get youtube advertisements removed for our accounts.

Would really make me feel like google appreciates us Stadia users. Personally, I would see it as a selling point: "Stadie improves my entertainment, in games and video" 🙂

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

leftist heap posted:

Most people don't need active cooling for their home console, so it really does not matter how efficient their cooling is. Add to that people are sometimes streaming on the console itself, killing a big part of the advantage.

Cloud computing in general may be energy efficient, but the idea that cloud gaming is more efficient is almost certainly not true under any circumstance. Hell it's probably the least ideal use of cloud infrastructure from an efficiency perspective: extremely low resource sharing and extremely high data transfer. Anyway all this poo poo is easily Googleable.

All modern consoles use active cooling. The last generation to use passive cooling was PS2/OG Xbox.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

"Google should remove ads from a different service I use because I pay for this other service"

Does he think that paying for say....Google Drive or something also grants magical no ad service on Youtube?

:allears: it's all so, so stupid.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

definitely uses less power than a 2080ti though. A GPU at full load draws a shitload more power than a mostly idle cpu or a chromebook, this power draw argument is stupid as hell.
it's not bitcoin, it's a negligible difference and there are plenty other reasons to make fun of stadia.

no one owns a 2080ti and its power consumption is literally double the cards people actually use.

and in stadias case theyre using a card that is beaten out by $250 parts but uses as much power as a 2080ti.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

"Google should remove ads from a different service I use because I pay for this other service"

Does he think that paying for say....Google Drive or something also grants magical no ad service on Youtube?

before they abandoned google play music it included youtube premium and vice versa. it's not unheard of

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Microsoft builds ad-free Outlook into whatever the Microsoft 365 subscription is now if I remember right. It changed recently to give you even more stuff.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

joylessdivision posted:

Bundling subscription benefits to cover multiple streaming entertainment services under the same roof isn't a bad idea, and is something Google's done in the past already.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Imagine having a brain so riddled with dementia that you think streamers are excited to let randos gently caress with their format.

limaCAT posted:

Streamers don't even want developers to change things and make them easier for randos because that would gently caress with their format.

I mean... Crowd Control is a thing that exists and is pretty popular, but the idea that devs that have their games on Stadia are going to implement anything like that in their games is pretty laughable.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

...! posted:

All modern consoles use active cooling. The last generation to use passive cooling was PS2/OG Xbox.

Yes, I ignored the fan inside cause it probably doesn't really compare much to what amounts an industrial refrigeration system in a data center.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

sethsez posted:

Bundling subscription benefits to cover multiple streaming entertainment services under the same roof isn't a bad idea, and is something Google's done in the past already.

For sure, but considering the amazing integration with Youtube and Stadia now.......oh........

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

The speed potential for Cloud Storage is infinitely greater than consoles or PCs will ever be capable of. But yes, it may take a year or so before its fully realized.

I will give you a very easy to understand layman example:

-If your computer or PS5 has 1 Hard Drive. It will never load the game file faster than the max speed of that 1 hard drive. Your 10,000 MB game file will load at one set speed.

-If you have that one 10,000 MB game file on a network storage array of 10 hard drives. That game file is split between 10 hard drives, each one only has to load a 1,000 MB piece. In this example the Game file could be theoretically loaded 10x faster.

This example can be scaled up massively.

Eventually the CPU/RAM or programming of the game and platform become the bottleneck. Google builds proprietary hardware and is constantly upgrading the software based on whatever the current bottleneck is. Consoles and PCs will never be able to compete going forward.
--------
In 4-5 years I predict it will be a 2 horse race Google Stadia vs Amazon Tempo. Microsoft Xcloud is just stacking up a bunch of xboxes in a server rack, they will NEVER be able to make the system faster or more capable than the xboxes people are buying to use at home. The backwards compatibility problem, whatever game or feature they want to implement, has to work on the xboxes at home.

:thunk:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the tech corridor is just a sentient dunning kruger effect

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Because every Stadia server has an 100GBit Ethernet or Infiniband card in it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Free on Epic: Civ VI
Free on Stadia: *tumbleweed*

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Valve is the underdog in cloud. Right now they're Myspace in 2004 (extremely popular among a niche audience). Amazon, Microsoft, and Google all know what the correct play is and have been building the infrastructure within their own ecosystem for years.

I hope Steam is around for a long time and they're working on the best cloud platform ever or considering partnership with NVidia but we haven't seen anything yet.

quote:

95 million users is not a "vice grip" on gaming. Mobile gaming dominates that number and cloud looks like it's going to dwarf it. Myspace itself had 76 million and was the only relevant social networking site at its peak.

Like I said I want steam to be around forever but they need to get their hand in cloud or risk losing many devs/pubs over the next decade.

:allears:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Stadia changed my username?

They deemed my first name and a letter as inappropriate. It's as simple as something like JohnH. That's not actually it but very common name. Now my Stadia name is Happy Moose.

This happen to anyone else??

lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I had an Epic store account and ever paid full price for a game I'd feel pretty silly by now. I guess their paid exclusives aren't eligible?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mods please rename HA to Happy Moose, tia.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

they really do have one person writing all of these

quote:

Back in my teens and early 20s, I was a pretty dedicated gamer, playing all the CODs, Halos, Battlefield, etc etc. The later part of my 20s saw a drastic drop as life happened and I met who would eventually be my wife. My Xbox One had been collecting dust and solely dedicated to Netflix and other streaming until we got a Roku TV, then at that point maybe got played once a month when I had a free moment to actually play, which was almost never (adult problems).

At the beginning of the pandemic and start of lockdowns, we sold the Xbox and picked up a Switch. This was mostly for my wife and Animal Crossing, which she now enjoys thoroughly, it’s a nice escape for her and a good introduction for someone just getting into video games. I enjoy the Switch as well but it didn’t satisfy my craving of gaming.

Then I decided to give the Stadia a try. Playing anywhere with internet was a huge selling point because I could not only play at home, but also at work and other public hotspot areas. Loved the “free” Pro games after getting into it and also purchased NBA 2k20, since I don’t play shooting games so much anymore. It’s been a real treat to get some gaming time in while on lunch break at work, especially, using my Pixelbook. I see a bright future for this platform and I’m sure casual gamers like myself would agree.

Can’t wait to see what the future holds for Stadia!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I used to be a gamer. I liked some popular games. Then I stopped gaming. Then I tried Stadia. I loved it because I could play games again. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If your adult life allows you only maybe an hour a week for leisure activities you've got issues that a Stadia can't solve, sorry.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Funny how posty really leans on the "lapsed gamer" thing that isn't even real enough to be a trope, and how they have to throw in playing at work when that's either a terrible idea for your employment or definitely not happening now.

American McGay posted:

Mods please rename HA to Happy Moose, tia.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 22, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steam has 90 million monthly active users. The PS4 has 94. Yep, Steam sure needs to get into cloud poo poo to stay relevant.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Funny how posty really leans on the "lapsed gamer" thing that isn't even real enough to be a trope, and how they have to throw in playing at work when that's either a terrible idea for your employment or definitely not happening now.

they lean on the "lapsed gamer" thing because they know that's what the marketing guy told his intern to write about

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the reason mobile gaming is so huge is specifically because you dont have to carry a controller around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

That is correct. I had my Stadia controller and CLAW mount with me, but by the time I had it all hooked up, I was like... eh, I'll just play this way. Of course, LTE wasn't perfect (audio studdering and some frame freezes here and there) but it was VERY playable and never lost connection for about an hour playtime.

Firs time I've done it on LTE and have unlimited data. Won't be doing it often, but the fact I could do it, was awesome.