Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arkane Studios makes nothing but amazing games and I wish they weren't pretty much the only ones making "immersive sims".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

genericnick posted:

I could have sworn that was also in Morrowind. I remember I had piles of Deadric armor that I sold piece by piece to the crab.

That must've been a mod, cause Daedric armor in morrowind was all hand placed and there was very little of it.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Y'all forgetting System Shock 2

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3439576&pagenumber=612&perpage=40#post426972570

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

the_enduser posted:

Y'all forgetting System Shock 2

There is a System Shock 3 in development but it is probably going to suck.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MisterBibs :allears:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

lol so mad that the mod house he picked was near the cazadores and he was too bad at the game and had to console kill them. "Someone help I can't reach this mod house my character is dying." "Download a different mod?" "No."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The dude was using a mod house in the middle of Deathclaw central and he's complaining? Good heavens.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
lol of course it's MisterBibs

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

God, this was such a blast from the past. I knew I associated the name 'MisterBibs' with dumb bullshit but couldn't remember why.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

It's good to see that Steinrokken was an obtuse idiot then as well

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

God, this was such a blast from the past. I knew I associated the name 'MisterBibs' with dumb bullshit but couldn't remember why.

Also he can’t eat hot dogs.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Wolfsheim posted:

You might also be thinking of the time Red Letter Media called him out when he said something really dumb about the prequels.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You might also be thinking of the time Red Letter Media called him out when he said something really dumb about the prequels.

RLM themselves did?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

What did he do there?

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
He was saying something about how they just didn't like the star wars prequels because they weren't kids when they watched them.

It gave us this gif

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I finally got around to playing the Shadowrun Returns series. I love that there are all these indie studios making isometric RPGs and other stuff that my ancient PC can run.

Yes, yes, I know Dragonfall is better, it doesn't seem like a huge time commitment so I wanna play the whole series

I'm pretty convinced that the Shadowrun Returns games are the best isometric RPGs released since the old infinity engine games, and much more interesting than any of the glut of nostalgia-infused knockoffs like PoE, Torment, Tyranny, etc that came out around the same time.
The limitations of the engine they were using really started to show around Hong Kong, where all they could do to improve things was pile on more text, and tinker with the Matrix, but even then it's a really stellar RPG, and I hope HBS revisit the franchise with their Battletech engine now that cyberpunk is in again.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bad news they aren't returning to them because they want to focus on games they can own the IP to.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I would accept ‘Shadowrun with the serials filed off”

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

doingitwrong posted:

I would accept ‘Shadowrun with the serials filed off”

I'm looking forward to Darktrot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

communism bitch posted:

I'm pretty convinced that Shadowrun: Dragonfall is the best isometric RPGs released since the old infinity engine games, and much more interesting than any of the glut of nostalgia-infused knockoffs like PoE, Torment, Tyranny, etc that came out around the same time.
The limitations of the engine they were using really started to show around Hong Kong, where all they could do to improve things was pile on more text, and tinker with the Matrix, but even then it's a really stellar RPG, and I hope HBS revisit the franchise with their Battletech engine now that cyberpunk is in again.

Fixed. Shadowrun Returns was a bit of a tech demo released for $25 and Shadowrun: Hong Kong was idk not good for reason i cant remember byeeee

The best idea for a cyberpunk game is a game set now, maybe in Ukraine or Hong Kong or Egypt.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

I said come in! posted:

There is a System Shock 3 in development but it is probably going to suck.

Especially now that it's being shepherded to completion by... Tencent. The wording is nebulous as hell - at this point it's not even clear if Otherside will still be developing it - but that's some kind of update, at least.

Honestly, for all the good times I had with the games, I think System Shock belongs in the '90s.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

The best idea for a cyberpunk game is a game set now, maybe in Ukraine or Hong Kong or Egypt.

were there any other cyberpunk games with urban exploration on the level of Human Revolution/Mankind Divided? Prague in MD may be my favorite city to explore in a game ever

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah Watchdogs but it sucked.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Arglebargle III posted:

I still hold naive hope for Watchdogs Legion!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I think Hong Kong is kind of a cliché at this point. It's where people shoot Japanese-based movies because they can't shoot in Japan, and because Hong Kong still allows a lot of neon signage.

A lot of people also kept talking about how the Hong Kong protests were very cyberpunk, but most of that is people projecting some otherization on Asian countries with working public transportation that still feels like space tech to Americans.

It's a nice reminder of how CP2077 needs to more than adding the visual clichés; they need to tell a truly cyperpunk story and not something arbitrary that happens to be set in this universe.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ufarn posted:

I think Hong Kong is kind of a cliché at this point. It's where people shoot Japanese-based movies because they can't shoot in Japan, and because Hong Kong still allows a lot of neon signage.

A lot of people also kept talking about how the Hong Kong protests were very cyberpunk, but most of that is people projecting some otherization on Asian countries with working public transportation that still feels like space tech to Americans.

It's a nice reminder of how CP2077 needs to more than adding the visual clichés; they need to tell a truly cyperpunk story and not something arbitrary that happens to be set in this universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIH_DfXJQY4

If you have a better example of "Modern Cyberpunk Dystopia" than protesters camouflaged to avoid FaceCam detection from Security Drones and using LITERAL GODDAM LASERZ to fight off militarized riot police then for the love of GOD share it with the class.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

no

edit: I was replying to ufarn but I don't have a better presentation to share with the class sorry I agree

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The big mistake most people make with cyberpunk is focusing on the aesthetics without also focusing on the pain.

It loving sucks to live in a cyberpunk world.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yeah

BladeRunner 2 did a good job of showing K's life was totally bleak.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BitBasher posted:

Watchdogs 2 was pretty nice.

However I don't see this play as everyone shtick working for Legion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BitBasher posted:

Its initial reveal looked promising but then it kept getting delayed and is now in development hell, so I dont have a lot of hope for it now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arglebargle III posted:

Watchdogs 2 is excellent.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Ye, it was surprisingly great, especially if you didn't use lethal weapons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sebmojo posted:

i kinda like the way legion looks. shooting PMC facists and human trafickers as a granny or some afro furtist person seems cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbokXaPTk38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIe3M1_Bu-Y&t

saw it at e3 demo. looks pretty interesting at least.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 22, 2020

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Wolfsheim posted:

You're describing, like...Tomb Raider.

Which is fine I guess but that's a 15 hour game, I dunno how much genuine complexity you can keep adding for an 80+ hour game like W3 while eliminating levels/etc altogether

You can have better swords etc. problem is when you do tiered loot so that

"here's my ancient family sword"
"Oh ok, *throws it in trash since you can buy a better common sword now that you're level 20*"

Enemies should get new abilities, better AI, new enemy encounter compositions etc. and not just grow up in stat numbers.

Your skills should improve and do better damage etc. but leveling up should be mostly about adding new stuff and not just increasing numbers.

Getting better at the game and learning about monsters weakness should be more important than your level.

hm..
Guess I just wanna play W3 like Sekiro but with more weapons/armor/bombs/signs

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 22, 2020

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just do loot like Baldur's Gate where everything is hand placed and enemies only drop generic trash.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't get to see any dogs it was terrible.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

ZZZorcerer posted:

You can have better swords etc. problem is when you do tiered loot so that

"here's my ancient family sword"
"Oh ok, *throws it in trash since you can buy a better common sword now that you're level 20*"

Enemies should get new abilities, better AI, new enemy encounter compositions etc. and not just grow up in stat numbers.

Your skills should improve and do better damage etc. but leveling up should be mostly about adding new stuff and not just increasing numbers.

Getting better at the game and learning about monsters weakness should be more important than your level.

hm..
Guess I just wanna play W3 like Sekiro but with more weapons/armor/bombs/signs

Yeah in W3 I never felt more powerful because leveling made my numbers go up, I felt more powerful because it unlocked more skills and more skill slots. The slog of crafting an upgrade every so often felt empty too. What's the point in making my sword do +10 damage if all the enemies have 10 more HP?

I just finished Jedi Fallen Order and I get the gist it's like a Dark Souls clone but I've never played Dark Souls so I don't know how much it actually cribbed. Any way leveling was decent in that, you got to unlock skills and there were only a few that were direct increases of stats, and rather than making enemies stronger as you went on they would introduce new enemies with new tactics and mix in the old ones to add new dynamics to fights. It's not a perfect system either but it really feels like it's time to move on from leveling for the sake of leveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Shadowrun: Hong Kong was idk not good for reason i cant remember byeeee

Take it back.