Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Farside is so consistently good.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Bizarro now just repeating Geico commercials.

Tune in tomorrow for the one with the Ratt problem.

Also, the Ripley's from the other day about the wine in the water mains has the same energy as the Out Our Way comics about lathes. Makes my skin crawl. Cross connection control and backflow prevention are serious matters.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Kennel posted:

Man in Black

Gotta admire the gumption of a man whose response to it raining fire is "Smoke if you got'em."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

leave it to Kelley to assert that "hey, wimp" is the extent of bullying

loving millennials, complaining about getting bullied just because somebody called them a wimp a couple of times.

I am genuinely glad that Toni is being nice to her niece for a change.

Also, boy is that a lot of TP to waste in These Trying Times.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 7-8, 1987)

This has always been one of my favorite Calvin strips. A simple but funny and dynamic and wonderful drawing of such a universally relatable thing. Watterson is too good for this world.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

is 'various reasons' an acknowledgement that da Vinci was gay?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Parahexavoctal posted:

You know it's not.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

I've seen it come up a couple times: Our Sulo, our Pekka.
Is this a current, or kinda old-fashioned way of referring to family members? I've seen it pop up a couple times before, and it seems to often be while people are referring to close relatives.
I know it does get some use in english, but I'm just wondering if it's some specific thing in finnish that's being translated or not.

It feels a bit like in english, it gets used to present a person, or specifically a way for parents to refer to their shared child. While in use in Mämmilä it feels like it often gets used when referring to a close relative.
(Though since I'm not a native speaker, I have no idea how common 'our (name)' is in normal, daily speech in english either, I suppose.)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SubNat posted:

It feels a bit like in english, it gets used to present a person, or specifically a way for parents to refer to their shared child. While in use in Mämmilä it feels like it often gets used when referring to a close relative.
(Though since I'm not a native speaker, I have no idea how common 'our (name)' is in normal, daily speech in english either, I suppose.)

In British English it would be pretty common, mostly among working class and rural middle class people. "Our John" would just be a way of indicating "the John from our family, rather than one of the other three Johns we know". You might occasionally hear "your John" with the corresponding meaning, but I think that would be a lot less common.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Addressing someone as "our Becky" or "our kid" (as in "come on, our kid, hurry up or we'll be late") is something I've only ever seen in northern English speech, like people around Manchester etc.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I've seen it used in fantasy-medieval novels when referring to mutual friends or acquaintances, but as a native English speaker (US, midwest, Chicago) I wouldn't use it in casual speech unless I was referring to a mutual relative. Even then I'd probably sound a bit stilted / old-fashioned British :v:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Ah yes, all the new comics that came out between March and now, splendid.

Dykes to Watch Out For #58 (1989)

This kicks off another story which is entirely excised from the Essential-- I guess I can see it. Milkweed is a character who shows up for a continuous stretch of strips and then never again in any meaningful way, so even though this is kind of a fun arc it also doesn't really threaten the comic's overall narrative flow to drop it.

The mention of Exxon might be evergreen-- it's not like it was ever not an appalling company during DtWOF's run-- but the Exxon Valdez spill took place on March 24, 1989. This was an enormous environmental disaster and tremendously publicly visible; an Exxon oil tanker smashed into a reef west of Alaska and spilled over 10 million gallons of crude oil into the ocean over the course of several days, effecting huge swathes of ocean and coastline. The initial spin was that the captain of the ship was drunk at the helm or just incompetent, although research and investigations since then have revealed a systematic culture of cost-cutting and negligence at Exxon that left the ship ill-prepared to detect, avoid, or deal with collisions.

The news for months was filled with photos of dead or sick penguins, birds, and seals, making it a huge if often superficial rallying point for popular environmentalism-- I definitely remembering learning about it in elementary school in the early 90s, and thinking of oil-slicked sea mammals as one of the major consequences of pollution. As an interesting footnote one of the Unabomber's targets was an Exxon executive who was involved with PR rehabilitation in the aftermath of the spill.

Anyway-- this strip ran in the July 1989 issue of off our backs, so granting Bechdel a lead time of several months I guess I feel safe in hazarding that the Exxon mention here is made specifically in the context of Exxon Valdez.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 22, 2020

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

loving millennials, complaining about getting bullied just because somebody called them a wimp a couple of times.

I am genuinely glad that Toni is being nice to her niece for a change.

Also, boy is that a lot of TP to waste in These Trying Times.

Weird timing of the TP stuff aside, this is actually really cute and good.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mikl posted:

Hahaha, who did this? :laffo:
Didn't notice until this but it's perfect
:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Cue the laugh track.

Mary Worth

"We here at Mary Worth Enterprises salute our brave medical professionals during this difficult time. We are all in this together!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

[urlhttps://imgur.com/lj5nOMD][/url]

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

I'm not sure why I find this one funny but I do.

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

It has become a bit of an in-joke in one of the women's groups I belong to that lasagna is a real relationship tester. We saw so many Reddit posts in a short period of time of women despairing that their lovely boyfriends/husbands stole their lasagna, ate the whole thing without leaving them any, gave it away to other people, ate the beloved dead grandma's lasagna that the girlfriend froze and labeled was saving for sentimental reasons, ate the whole crunchy top off the mac and cheese (it's lasagna-adjacent) and left the rest behind, and so on. Now I see that lasagna drama is nothing new (though I guess Sparrow is a roommate and not a partner?).

The takeaway here: Don't date or marry a person who does not understand how to behave around your lasagna.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Drimble Wedge posted:

Addressing someone as "our Becky" or "our kid" (as in "come on, our kid, hurry up or we'll be late") is something I've only ever seen in northern English speech, like people around Manchester etc.

I just picture Daisy and Onslow going on about Our Hyacinth

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

It has become a bit of an in-joke in one of the women's groups I belong to that lasagna is a real relationship tester. We saw so many Reddit posts in a short period of time of women despairing that their lovely boyfriends/husbands stole their lasagna, ate the whole thing without leaving them any, gave it away to other people, ate the beloved dead grandma's lasagna that the girlfriend froze and labeled was saving for sentimental reasons, ate the whole crunchy top off the mac and cheese (it's lasagna-adjacent) and left the rest behind, and so on. Now I see that lasagna drama is nothing new (though I guess Sparrow is a roommate and not a partner?).

The takeaway here: Don't date or marry a person who does not understand how to behave around your lasagna.

Oh god, now I need to make a lasagna just to see if it gets respected.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, he's a bit nerdy? You were nerding out just as hard as him over that not-Star Wars Movie only a couple of days ago! That's what made you fall for him.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

The news for months was filled with photos of dead or sick penguins, birds, and seals

In fact, it wiped out the Alaskan penguins; that's why you never hear about them. :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

tiercel posted:

In fact, it wiped out the Alaskan penguins; that's why you never hear about them. :v:

That's what they want you to think... :tinfoil:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 25, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Lodin posted:

Lol, he's a bit nerdy? You were nerding out just as hard as him over that not-Star Wars Movie only a couple of days ago! That's what made you fall for him.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Knowing Holbrook this strip will still be running in 20 years and we'll get to read a long plotline about adult da Vinci coming back to the present and getting SOMEBODY pregnant.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Darren Bell has copied this exact strip in Candorville a bunch of times, I just know it.

Did Mark uhhhh....do anything in this storyline? Other than the alarm clock going off, they were almost completely incidental to the plot. Also, I'm still convinced that this isn't James doing the art or the writing. This story moved way too fast and had way too few attempts at a 40's-serial-style "adventure" to be James. None of this feels like him.

Adam

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Medenmath posted:

The stakes here seem way higher than usual in Wallace :ohdear:
Yeah. The ocean is nothing to mess wi--

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Phew. :)

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Julet Esqu posted:

Well this certainly puts Jon and Garfield's relationship into a different perspective.

sweeperbravo posted:

I just picture Daisy and Onslow going on about Our Hyacinth
It's pronounced... "Bouquet"... :smug:

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Ah yes, all the new comics that came out between March and now, splendid.

This kicks off another story which is entirely excised from the Essential-- I guess I can see it. Milkweed is a character who shows up for a continuous stretch of strips and then never again in any meaningful way, so even though this is kind of a fun arc it also doesn't really threaten the comic's overall narrative flow to drop it. She was really getting the knack of her art by this point (it was very rough at the start). She gives Ginger a different, and appropriate emotional expression in almost every panel.

Doesn't threaten the comic's arc, but I'm still surprised she dropped it. The Milkweed arc has some good jokes in it, and Bechdel makes good use of her ensemble cast and the pacing a full-page strip allows. Notice how she slips in the exposition about the action group *after* she's gotten the joke from it, and in a natural way, since the joke is about Ginger being surprised, and that moves smoothly into the lasagna soup and dirty sink jokes (the Milkweed segue is a bit forced, I'll concede). Finally it's got some good notes about Lois waiting to hear back from Emma, and I think that story gets weaker when it's standing on its own that when it's woven into an ongoing world.

The reasons to drop it that I can see are that Sparrow's characterization clashes with her later one, and voluntary communes are almost entirely a thing of the past. Here Sparrow is slapdash and sloppy, but later on she becomes the neat and planned-out member of the roommate trio. I don't see that as a big deal, because people *do* change over time (my father commented how amazed he was that *my brother* became neat after he bought a house). With communes, it looks like Bechdel decided to chop every reference out (Harriet's commune childhood is gone too, as How Wonderful pointed out). I don't really see why, because while they are much rarer today, even by the late 80's they were passe. Most people still know what a commune is, so the jokes and references ought to land pretty much the same today, referring to a well-known thing of the past, just further in the past now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian Nov. 27th, 1978- Dec. 3rd, 1978

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

curtadams posted:

Doesn't threaten the comic's arc, but I'm still surprised she dropped it. The Milkweed arc has some good jokes in it, and Bechdel makes good use of her ensemble cast and the pacing a full-page strip allows. Notice how she slips in the exposition about the action group *after* she's gotten the joke from it, and in a natural way, since the joke is about Ginger being surprised, and that moves smoothly into the lasagna soup and dirty sink jokes (the Milkweed segue is a bit forced, I'll concede). Finally it's got some good notes about Lois waiting to hear back from Emma, and I think that story gets weaker when it's standing on its own that when it's woven into an ongoing world.

The reasons to drop it that I can see are that Sparrow's characterization clashes with her later one, and voluntary communes are almost entirely a thing of the past. Here Sparrow is slapdash and sloppy, but later on she becomes the neat and planned-out member of the roommate trio. I don't see that as a big deal, because people *do* change over time (my father commented how amazed he was that *my brother* became neat after he bought a house). With communes, it looks like Bechdel decided to chop every reference out (Harriet's commune childhood is gone too, as How Wonderful pointed out). I don't really see why, because while they are much rarer today, even by the late 80's they were passe. Most people still know what a commune is, so the jokes and references ought to land pretty much the same today, referring to a well-known thing of the past, just further in the past now.

I wonder if part of it is that Milkweed is kind of a broad depiction of a "type" in a way that Bechdel usually seems to shy away from (Sydney's academic rival is another one). I don't know how much input Bechdel had in selecting what stayed and what went in putting the Essential together but to me it feels like a gentler strip in a lot of ways-- there's a lot of caustic stuff lost, as well as some of the biting (but kind of exhausting if read all at once) strips about Mo just talking about current events.

Anyway I've been forgetting about Sam's Strip:
2/8/1962

Andy Gump was the main character of Sidney Smith's The Gumps, which ran from 1917 to 1959 and was to my taste a pretty standard comic about middle class foibles which was nevertheless extremely popular for awhile.

You could buy all sorts of Gumps merchandise, including this profoundly cursed object:

Andy Gump's signature chinless overbite became more pronounced over time, as evidenced by this ad:

I've also been reading and more or less enjoying Cecil Jensen's short-lived Elmo and considering giving it a shot in here:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh man, I'd be interested in seeing the Gumps if you have any of it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

'funny'

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What, you don't like 'funny' comics?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
New 'Funny' Comic Strip Megathread

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kennel posted:

New 'Funny' Comic Strop Megathread

BSS > 'Funny' Comic Strip Megathread 2020: Les, Miserable

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of Keeping Up With the Joneses, it's interesting that Clarice is offended by the idea of buying frozen meat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/21/00

Brenda Starr 11/24/40

Smokey Stover 6/30/35

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SubNat posted:

I've seen it come up a couple times: Our Sulo, our Pekka.
Is this a current, or kinda old-fashioned way of referring to family members? I've seen it pop up a couple times before, and it seems to often be while people are referring to close relatives.

It's mom talk for the apple of their eye. It's shorter to say 'our John' than 'our son John' and still clearer than just 'John'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May. 14, 1939)

Please pretend I made a clever joke about COVID-19 here. Thanks in advance.