Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blistex posted:

Unless you're buying some sort of poo poo-tier potato that spends 3 months on a cargo ship, this is exactly true. My mother and father have a very extensive garden where they grow everything that our climate will allow. . . except potatoes.

When my father was growing up, they were not exactly well off, so him and his brothers each has 4 rows of potatoes that they had to maintain all summer (along with the regular farming work). Each row was ~100m in length, and they would plant, weed, and dig them up. My father and his brothers had other things in the garden they had to take care of as well, but he never resented them like he did the potatoes. One year when my parents expanded their garden my mom asked if they should plant some potatoes, and my father outright said that the store ones (Ontario grown potatoes) taste exactly the same, cost less than dirt, and don't give him nightmares.

Right now a good 50% of their 1km² garden is strawberries, with the other half being divided between the usual stuff (beans, tomatoes, peas, lettuce, onions, peppers, corn, beats, squash, cucumbers, spinach, carrots, cabbage, etc.)

1km2 is not a garden. 1km2 is a farm crop. Unless you're eating your body weight in strawberries every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i put a child window fall safety thing (heavy steel bars) on my bedroom window over my bed because my new pup could have jumped through the screen if he saw something interesting, but i didn't fasten it because i am lazy. last night at 2:30am i was adjusting the window and the thing fell forward and smacked me in the mouth and split my lip wide open

lesson: child window fall safety things are deadly

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's bread day

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Cooking things, running half marathons weekly, drinking like an alcoholic fish, playing the Witcher 3, and trying to find a remote dnd group.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

poverty goat posted:

it's bread day

Nice.

It was bread day, well, technically Wednesday I started it, but yesterday it finally got baked off because apparently my sourdough starter did not like a super enriched dough and I had to mix some commercial yeast in to get any sort of meaningful lift.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Looks top shelf.

Ive been working throughout quarantine

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My bread had a bumpy start too. I fed the starter a little too late in the morning and ended up having to mix the dough before the starter was quite ready because I had to go to work. Then I took it to work because it needed some stretch+folds but when I got home I was buzzed and stoned and forgot it in the car overnight. It was cool enough out that the lazy rear end dough didn't go crazy and was exactly where it needed to be for shaping this morning

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I just can not be hosed for bread making. I just can't.
I've done it. I know 'bout it. Fresh bread is great. I love fresh bread. Bread is art. I know. ...I know.

gently caress making bread it's stupid. I really like those take and bake breads you can get at the store, those are always real good. Otherwise, keep it. I go to crazy lengths for other cookery related things. I have a re-appropriated wine fridge I use just for curing and pickling things. I'm not averse to putting in effort. It's just that bread is dumb and lame.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I do, for all intents and purposes, all the cooking in my home but every Sunday my wife throws together two loaves of sourdough and, brother, it'll rock your world.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i don't want none unless she bakes buns, hun

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

I just can not be hosed for bread making. I just can't.
I've done it. I know 'bout it. Fresh bread is great. I love fresh bread. Bread is art. I know. ...I know.

gently caress making bread it's stupid. I really like those take and bake breads you can get at the store, those are always real good. Otherwise, keep it. I go to crazy lengths for other cookery related things. I have a re-appropriated wine fridge I use just for curing and pickling things. I'm not averse to putting in effort. It's just that bread is dumb and lame.

bread is the ultimate low effort, low time input, high reward thing you can do to make any meal better. if you're spending a bunch of time and effort kneading or something it's totally optional. e: the key is to give the yeast plenty of time to work because this is what makes it delicious, but they don;t need your help, it's not hands on time

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 22, 2020

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
drat, I should make some bread. Any tips/guides?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Synthetic Dreams posted:

drat, I should make some bread. Any tips/guides?

Boule.

If you figure out how to shape it properly it tightens the tops and sides of the loaf in a way that really promotes awesome gluten stranding and generally beautiful loaves. If you are looking to make a sandwich bread when you first start baking (during the first 10 minutes) pull the dough out of the oven several times and spritz it with water.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

poverty goat posted:

bread is the ultimate low effort, low time input, high reward thing you can do to make any meal better. if you're spending a bunch of time and effort kneading or something it's totally optional. e: the key is to give the yeast plenty of time to work because this is what makes it delicious, but they don;t need your help, it's not hands on time

to me it's absolutely way more effort to set up and clean than it is to get even a loaf of peasant bread knocked out in, say, my cast iron dutch oven, than it is worth.
It's just totally not at all worth that investment to me.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Went to a new supermarket that opened up a few blocks away. It so loving beautiful out, goddamn I wanted to hang out with people so bad today.

There's a mexican restaurant in Queens that has a bar and a comedy club in the basement that leads to a patio area in the back and its so loving chill there, or was. Get some really decent mexican food, get drunk with some super friendly bar tenders and just shootin the poo poo in the patio, maybe smoke a little. Maybe even see some comedy, god I loved that place.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Outrail posted:

1km2 is not a garden. 1km2 is a farm crop. Unless you're eating your body weight in strawberries every week.

Yeah my dad had a huge garden and grew virtually everything for a family of 5 and it was like 1 to 1.5 acres which is like 0.004 to 0.006 square km.

As he aged (and moved) it got smaller and smaller and he cut out the less important poo poo and it has achieved its final form which is about 2500 square feet of sweet corn and 1500 square feet of green beans.

I've got 1/2 an acre lot but it's sloped pretty heavily so I just plant a dozen tomatoes in the flat spot and a few random things here and there (some eggplant and squash so far this year).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bread chat: my wife has some 15 year old piece of poo poo bread maker that you could probably get at a thrift store for $2 and she dumps poo poo in there and lets it mix it and proof it and rise it and poo poo and then she takes it out and puts it in a bread pan and bakes it just so it doesn't end up as a stupid shape with a hole in the middle.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Currently, I'm polishing and reassembling my Jeep. I buffed it a few weeks ago, but now that school is officially over for the week, I've made it back out to the garage and I'm polishing everything before a good coat of wax. I've gotten more done during quarantine than I did 6 months prior. Also, respraying base/clear on the tailgate today. It had some weird contamination that I still haven't figured out, but it should be good now.

I'm going to reinstall the windshield, bolt the dash in place,and recover the front sections of the roll cage with padding tomorrow.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm going to mow my lawn and maybe wash the side of my house today. I REALLY need to clean my gutters but that takes a lot of effort. I've never done it before in the 5 years I've owned this place. Although I'm starting to see some small plants grow out of the gutters so maybe it's time. I bought a ladder a month or two ago just for that purpose.

I don't make bread. Never tried it. I don't have yeast. I might make some Irish soda bread today though. I think I have everything for it besides buttermilk. But you can just sour some regular milk with lemon juice and it'll still work.

Flour lasts like, forever right? I have some that's probably a few years old. I don't bake. Ever.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Never made bread but the closet thing I made was a simple dough for Tequeños

Came out super good, kinda want to make it again but :effort:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

They use an actual tractor, cultivator, disc + harrow, and manure spreader. Pretty much everything is spread out 2-3x more than you would find on a commercial farm, as they leave enough room to take the ATV down the rows when they are picking. During the summer my brother, his wife, 2 kids, myself, my wife and our son are back home, there are a lot of people eating strawberries. Also they freeze them for jams, and general preserves.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cleaning gutters really sucks and my recommendation is to reward yourself afterwards for doing such a lovely chore. I hire people to do that now , with my excuse being that I no longer live in a one story house and I'm scurred of heights

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Outrail posted:

Indeed, numbers are clearly fucky. 1km2 is 100 hectares or 250 acres. Half of all FARMS in the uk are under 50 acres, with the average being 213 acres.

Half of that is 125 acres of strawberries, even at 1/3 density so 40 acres, low end yield per acre is 5000 lbs. 200,000 lbs of strawberries...

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 22, 2020

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I hire people to do that now , with my excuse being that I no longer live in a one story house and I'm scurred of heights

Same with power-washing the house. I'll power wash my driveway, sidewalks or fence all day long, but gently caress ladders. Last weekend a guy spent 4+ hours power washing our house and I got to sit on my couch and have a Scooby-Doo marathon with my kids. He was happy and I'm still alive with no broken bones.

naem
May 29, 2011

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Currently, I'm polishing and reassembling my Jeep. I buffed it a few weeks ago, but now that school is officially over for the week, I've made it back out to the garage and I'm polishing everything before a good coat of wax. I've gotten more done during quarantine than I did 6 months prior. Also, respraying base/clear on the tailgate today. It had some weird contamination that I still haven't figured out, but it should be good now.

I'm going to reinstall the windshield, bolt the dash in place,and recover the front sections of the roll cage with padding tomorrow.

I’ve always wanted a jeep in a crate as a project

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

naem posted:

That would be the coolest model kit ever.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm going to mow my lawn and maybe wash the side of my house today. I REALLY need to clean my gutters but that takes a lot of effort. I've never done it before in the 5 years I've owned this place. Although I'm starting to see some small plants grow out of the gutters so maybe it's time. I bought a ladder a month or two ago just for that purpose.

I don't make bread. Never tried it. I don't have yeast. I might make some Irish soda bread today though. I think I have everything for it besides buttermilk. But you can just sour some regular milk with lemon juice and it'll still work.

Flour lasts like, forever right? I have some that's probably a few years old. I don't bake. Ever.

Most of the time, unless it gets weevils in it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

TontoCorazon posted:

Never made bread but the closet thing I made was a simple dough for Tequeños

Came out super good, kinda want to make it again but :effort:

Dang. This looks so loving tasty!!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

naem posted:

That's just a body/accessory kit, and not some warehouse find left over from WWII, right?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I adulted today. I mowed my lawn and washed the side of my house. There's a lot of stuff I need to do still. My back porch door doesn't have a door knob on it and I need to put a new one on but this house is like 72 years old and it's not standard so my dad had to size a dowel to make things fit but I don't remember where we left off with that.

Maybe later.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Dang. This looks so loving tasty!!

It really is quite simple and super good

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I cut more crap off trees along the back side of my property and cleaned up most of the stuff that I cut down in my previous session.
Took 3 hours and 5 trailers of wood/kindling to haul over to my burn pile on the back of my john deere (it's a small trailer but still).

I figure that's about 1/5th of the trimming and hauling I could do THIS year. possibly. Tomorrow I need to do more on this round of cleanup and spend about 3-4 hours on mowing the actual lawn, and that doesn't account for doing any other stuff that needs to be done.

Plus I ordered all my garden poo poo finally last night. I need WI to have a relatively nice long summer for my garden this year given our spring. Plus I got a cool new lilac tree and some ground ground cover for our front boxes at the end of our driveway, check dis out:

"Beauty of Moscow" white lilac:

"Bergens Blue Veronica" to fill our rectangular semi-raised beds at the end of the drive

e: pics not mine, just prospective, obv.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
First 7 hours of the day outside working on my tan in the sun. Started bright and early at 6:30 am watering the "yard" with a coffee mug in my hand. Then went to town removing more dead plant material. Eventually I got some tools out and removed a broken strut from one of my vehicles for inspection. That transitioned into me washing, waxing, conditioning, vacuuming, RainXing the other one. I don't think there's anything left for me to do today but cook.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm sous viding a NY strip even though I know that doing it at 275 in the oven instead is better because it makes the surface dry which lets you get a better sear on it.

We'll see how it turns out.

Also planning on making fresh pasta which I will probably turn into mac and cheese for a side but it depends on how lazy and/or intoxicated I get before the steak is done.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

poverty goat posted:

I'm bad enough at planning ahead that I don't bother. I want the bread now. Not tomorrow. That said I decided to get back into making pizzas today and I couldn't find yeast locally. Guess I'll try Amazon.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Flower chat: my columbines reseeded themselves well so I've got pink ones in a planter on the deck and blue ones in the yard:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I'm bad enough at planning ahead that I don't bother. I want the bread now. Not tomorrow. That said I decided to get back into making pizzas today and I couldn't find yeast locally. Guess I'll try Amazon.

I think yeast might be price gouged on Amazon, though last time I checked was a few weeks ago.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I adulted today. I mowed my lawn and washed the side of my house. There's a lot of stuff I need to do still. My back porch door doesn't have a door knob on it and I need to put a new one on but this house is like 72 years old and it's not standard so my dad had to size a dowel to make things fit but I don't remember where we left off with that.

Maybe later.

Is the door a standard size? 30/32/36 inches wide by 80 or 79 inches tall?

My daughter's room door was all kinds of messed up and I just threw that thing out by the road and bought a newer one from the home desperate.

I planted my carrots today.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bird That Contains a Freakish Wiener:

After you sous viddle your meats, paper towel them shits right off before you sear them. I do that, helps the sear a lot.
I'll take out whatever it is, de-bag-ify it, towel it down and clean it off (assuming it has herbs or what not on it if that was in the bag too) and while doing that, I pre-heat my pan to surface of the sun levels, usually with peanut oil since that is the highest smoke point oil you can cook with by law (I looked up this fact). And then sear off whatever I've got.

It also gives your meat enough time to both rest and cool enough that you searing it doesn't wreck your cool rear end sous vide pro-technique so you get the outside being flash-seared and the inside whatever temp color you want without the gradiation in color from red/pink to brown you get when the heat is too high/the sear is too long.

e: also get one of these setups for your thing rather than your pot, they hold the heat in and then you can say "look at my sous vide set up" all the time because people will want to come and check it out all the time.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

An eventuality of scones