Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Hand Knit posted:

And therein, as the bard would tell us, lies the rub.

Actually, the bard would tell us therein lies the zub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
^^^new thread title.

If they reopen but then have to shut down they'd better keep quarantine everybody for two weeks. If they let everyone go home they are just spreading the disease for no reason.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's basically the split between players whose jobs in the league and personal finances are secure going a couple years forward (30%) vs. not (70%)

The 24 team playoff cuts out the teams that were more than 10 points out of a playoff spot when play ended, it's perfectly fair.

It really might be excessively generous to teams that were not very likely to make the playoffs at all.

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1263679315109195776

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Penguins were in a freefall and might well have not made the playoffs or just barely made them had the season been finished, it's not really a complete story to say the 24-team seedings screwed them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Penguins were in a freefall and might well have not made the playoffs or just barely made them had the season been finished, it's not really a complete story to say the 24-team seedings screwed them.

They were on a downswing, yeah, but the pens were still in by 6 points and the first team out islanders were on like an 8 game losing streak. THey were making the playoffs.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars were going nova in preparation to miss out. A bye for this team is hilarious.

What's that, we're guaranteed to play the blues in the second round? Super.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
None if it matters because the season was already beyond ruined. So i'll just treated it as sports ball, enjoy whatever games, be an rear end in a top hat if my teams win, and claim its rigged if they don't.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
If they actually play some of these early games are going to be ridiculously high scoring. Goalies havent seen pucks in months..

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So is the draft lottery just the other 7 teams? That's so unfair to Montreal and Chicago! :v:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I think at the end of the day a lot of it comes down to the fact that the players want to play. Like, the young, fit guys with a team of doctors and trainers at their disposal probably aren't as worried about safety as the general public, and even that seems like a low bar sometimes.

Personally, I wonder what the guys who won't be playing are thinking. They are part of the PA so they'll get a vote, but I have no idea what their incentives are. Would the random bottom 6 winger on the Red Wings who presumably had an awful season prefer that the season get cancelled and sort of "not count"? Or does he want the playoffs to go ahead so he can watch on TV? Or is there some other angle I'm not considering when it comes to those guys?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1263844953391681536

Hell ya 3v3 travelling hockey sideshow featuring the ghost of your worst draft picks is gonna rule.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

glynnenstein posted:

It really might be excessively generous to teams that were not very likely to make the playoffs at all.

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1263679315109195776

Wait, so if Montreal somehow gets by Pittsburgh, they would only have to face Philadelphia in the second round? :wtc:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wait, so if Montreal somehow gets by Pittsburgh, they would only have to face Philadelphia in the second round? :wtc:

Hopefully it would get re-seeded and they would play Boston :getin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

If they don't re-seed, should Montreal or Chicago win their series the #4 seed has a weaker seeded opponent than 1, 2 and 3.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Puck Soup brought up an interesting wrinkle about the definition of these play in games and whether or not they'll be considered regular season or playoffs and what that would mean for contract stipulations and awards.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

this is going to be a poo poo show I can feel it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1263926287162368000

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Personally, I wonder what the guys who won't be playing are thinking. They are part of the PA so they'll get a vote, but I have no idea what their incentives are. Would the random bottom 6 winger on the Red Wings who presumably had an awful season prefer that the season get cancelled and sort of "not count"? Or does he want the playoffs to go ahead so he can watch on TV? Or is there some other angle I'm not considering when it comes to those guys?

The Red Wings' NHLPA rep is Luke Glendening, the alternate rep is Justin Abdelkader, so these questions may get answered publicly.

quote:

EXECUTIVE BOARD

The Executive Board of the NHLPA is comprised of 31 Club Player Representatives, one from each team. It also consists of an Alternate Club Player Representative from each team. These Representatives manage the interests of their teammates. The Executive Board is tasked with directing the NHLPA affairs and policy making decisions necessary to carry out the NHLPA’s work. The Executive Director, who is responsible for managing the NHLPA’s daily affairs, is a non-voting member of the Executive Board.

ANAHEIM DUCKS
Rep: Josh Manson
Alt Rep: Adam Henrique

ARIZONA COYOTES
Rep: Derek Stepan
Alt Rep: Clayton Keller

BOSTON BRUINS
Rep: Brandon Carlo
Alt Rep: Torey Krug

BUFFALO SABRES
Rep: Jake McCabe
Alt Rep: n/a

CALGARY FLAMES
Rep: Mikael Backlund
Alt Rep: Matthew Tkachuk

CAROLINA HURRICANES
Rep: Jordan Martinook
Alt Rep: Jake Gardiner

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS
Rep: Jonathan Toews

COLORADO AVALANCHE
Rep: Ian Cole
Alt Rep: Gabriel Landeskog

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
Rep: David Savard
Alt Rep: Seth Jones

DALLAS STARS
Rep: Jason Dickinson
Alt Rep: Ben Bishop

DETROIT RED WINGS
Rep: Luke Glendening
Alt Rep: Justin Abdelkader

EDMONTON OILERS
Rep: Darnell Nurse

FLORIDA PANTHERS
Rep: Michael Matheson
Alt Rep: Colton Sceviour

LOS ANGELES KINGS
Rep: Matt Roy

MINNESOTA WILD
Rep: Devan Dubnyk
Alt Rep: Ryan Suter

MONTREAL CANADIENS
Rep: Paul Byron
Alt Rep: Brendan Gallagher

NASHVILLE PREDATORS
Rep: Yannick Weber
Alt Rep: Ryan Ellis

NEW JERSEY DEVILS
Rep: Kyle Palmieri
Alt Rep: Cory Schneider

NEW YORK ISLANDERS
Rep: Anders Lee
Alt Rep: Scott Mayfield

NEW YORK RANGERS
Rep: Jacob Trouba
Alt Rep: Ryan Strome

OTTAWA SENATORS
Rep: Brady Tkachuk
Alt Rep: Ron Hainsey

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
Rep: James Van Riemsdyk

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
Rep: Kristopher Letang

SAN JOSE SHARKS
Rep: Logan Couture
Alt Rep: Martin Jones

ST. LOUIS BLUES
Rep: Colton Parayko
Alt Rep: Alex Pietrangelo

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING
Rep: Alexander Killorn
Alt Rep: Tyler Johnson

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Rep: Zach Hyman
Alt Rep: John Tavares

VANCOUVER CANUCKS
Rep: n/a
Alt Rep: Bo Horvat

LAS VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
Rep: Nate Schmidt
Alt Rep: Alex Tuch

WASHINGTON CAPITALS
Rep: Thomas Wilson
Alt Rep: Lars Eller

WINNIPEG JETS
Rep: Adam Lowry
Alt Rep: Mark Scheifele

3 of 31 union reps from the University of Michigan!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

i am the bird posted:

Puck Soup brought up an interesting wrinkle about the definition of these play in games and whether or not they'll be considered regular season or playoffs and what that would mean for contract stipulations and awards.

If they're considered playoff games, it gives a great shot for some "in a single postseason" sort of records

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I think at the end of the day a lot of it comes down to the fact that the players want to play. Like, the young, fit guys with a team of doctors and trainers at their disposal probably aren't as worried about safety as the general public, and even that seems like a low bar sometimes.

I guarantee a good half the league thinks it's a hoax or at least has some strong opinions on how empty all the hospitals look.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

:cawg:

Sounds about right.

----

The more I look at it and read about it, this playoff format clearly isn't good; whatever...

MoaM fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 22, 2020

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

AsInHowe posted:

The Red Wings' NHLPA rep is Luke Glendening, the alternate rep is Justin Abdelkader, so these questions may get answered publicly.

3 of 31 union reps from the University of Michigan!

M go BLUE

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

quote:

LOS ANGELES KINGS
Rep: Matt Roy

the gently caress?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe being the rep sucks so they all made the fringe guy do it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1263844953391681536

Hell ya 3v3 travelling hockey sideshow featuring the ghost of your worst draft picks is gonna rule.

Only six skaters a team huh
You'll need at least two punchmen then to keep your 4 stars safe at all times

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Spelling Mitsake posted:

the gently caress?

Vancouver has an alternate rep, but no rep.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Aphrodite posted:

Or the single guys. Can't imagine why else the Caps have Thomas Wilson repping.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It does seem like who the rep is connects to what the team thinks about employer rights.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/NHLPA/status/1264010316029014020

THE PLAYERS VOTED YES

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Quote this post if you're proud to root for one of the seven teams that sucks too much to even be in the play-in.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Aphrodite posted:

I love Kris Letang, Player Rep. Can so easily imagine him screaming at like Jordan Martinook and kicking tables over and poo poo in his endless rage against everyone and everything

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MJeff posted:

Quote this post if you're proud to root for one of the seven teams that sucks too much to even be in the play-in.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i think they should just cancel it because if it continues then carter hart will end up getting the roni and die which would be the most flyers thing to ever possibly happen

that said i also lust for a playoff flyers-pens series and the subsequent playoff posting that will occur

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

MJeff posted:

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

MJeff posted:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

MJeff posted:

Go Stars!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

I hear the Penguins didn't want to do it because they're afraid of Carey Price...

Habs made the playoffs, baby! :confuoot:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
So who would be the most embarrassing winner of the Asterisk Cup? One of the Canadian teams? A team that hasn't won in 20+ years/ever? a 9+ seed that wouldn't have made the playoffs normally? All of the above?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Jagged Jim posted:

So who would be the most embarrassing winner of the Asterisk Cup? One of the Canadian teams? A team that hasn't won in 20+ years/ever? a 9+ seed that wouldn't have made the playoffs normally? All of the above?

The answer is very obviously the Canucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Jagged Jim posted:

the leafs