Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Happy New Year!
This poll is closed.
Happy New Year! 38 22.22%
This year's going to suck too! 78 45.61%
Wait, it's still 2019! 17 9.94%
Zzzzzzzzzz 38 22.22%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i like the part in the future arc of gurren lagann, where they've abandoned gunmen for grapearls, for approximately one episode before realizing grapearls suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I like in the future arc where you can see the Galaxy Dai Gunzen from earth even though its on the other side of the universe OH MY GOD that owned

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Has there ever been a series that answers why robot war vehicles would have an obvious weakness like mechanical, jointed legs in the first place? Like, I know it's stupid of me, but I've never been able to see one of those mechas without wondering why nobody just blows the legs off one of them and leaves it flopping around on the ground barely able to move.

I think it comes from a lifetime of studying IRL armored vehicles.

there's literally a conversation in the original gundam where a guy is showing char a wip mobile suit and they have a conversation that's like

"here, the mobile suit is 80% finished."

"no, it's already finished."

"huh? but it doesn't have legs..."

"the legs are just for show. it's not like mobile suits actually need them."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They don't need them in space. Zeon had been pushed off earth at this point.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think muv luv has the best explanation for why you need a mecha with the whole beta hive thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Char needs the legs though cause he likes to kick,he likes to wave his lil footies

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I think muv luv has the best explanation for why you need a mecha with the whole beta hive thing
Yeah. The BETA also has extremely strong anti-air defenses and once you're forced to stay on the ground I can believe the mecha allow more freedom of movement than vehicles with wheels.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

homeless snail posted:

i like the part in the future arc of gurren lagann, where they've abandoned gunmen for grapearls, for approximately one episode before realizing grapearls suck

Gurren Lagann is like the single exception I have for my not being able to watch mecha brain thing, probably because it's so generally insane that, yeah, sure, why not mechas too?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gurren Lagann is like the single exception I have for my not being able to watch mecha brain thing, probably because it's so generally insane that, yeah, sure, why not mechas too?
like 90% of super robot anime have the same tone as gurren lagann tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
like gurren lagann has nothing on mightgaine, a series where they go to space and fight the show's executive producer

or gear fighter dendoh, a show where the main robot runs on giant double a batteries

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Samurai Flamenco, where the word Flamenco is an ancient word of great power.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
aquarion has a scene where the main robot gets the ability to stretch its arms and it follows this up by punching an enemy all the way to the moon, because it can just stretch as much as it wants, forever

edit: also in terms of real robot shows and the original question, votoms doesnt show the ATs as outdated but it shows them as auxilliary troops that aren't especially powerful. helicopters, tanks, and ground troops still play a role, and there's a scene where the protagonist nearly loses a fight to a biker gang on regular rear end motorcycles throwing molotovs and shooting handguns. One of the show's spinoffs is entirely about a guy who specializes in fighting them on foot.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 22, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Xabungle explanation for mecha is fun there are specially design to be pieces of junk that can get yourself killed because the moon people are trying to get humans strong enough to live on post apoc earth

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

aquarion has a scene where the main robot gets the ability to stretch its arms and it follows this up by punching an enemy all the way to the moon, because it can just stretch as much as it wants, forever

But what other show has the hero clashing with the primary antagonist in a series of matroyshka mechs leading to a fist fight in a temporary dimensional void? :colbert:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

diebuster

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
asura's wrath

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wark Say posted:

Isn't the Kill 6 Billion Demons author known for designing far-out mecha designs for a tabletop RPG or something?

yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
overman king gainer ends with a railway tycoon summoning a giant floating egg that holds the power of satan and someone asks "how could a railway tycoon summon the devil" as they watch in awe

and then a nearby tv buzzes on and the villain's face appears and he shouts "i can summon the devil BECAUSE i'm a railway tycoon"

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Aim for the Ace.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1263852583501905922?s=20

I don't remember what thread this usually gets posted in so here works lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Aim for the Ace.
its more of a tornado dimension

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

But what other show has the hero clashing with the primary antagonist in a series of matroyshka mechs leading to a fist fight in a temporary dimensional void? :colbert:
this is literally a reference to diebuster yes

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Legs bad

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you can't just tell someone to die

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

has there ever been a mecha series set when mechas are like being obseloted as a technology like battleships in the early 40s.

Iron-Blooded Orphans has mobile suits in general and Gundams in particular become extremely obsolete by the end.

It also explains why mecha are human-shaped - because armour is good enough that you need sledgehammers rather than bullets to get through it, so you might as well have a design that's suited to melee combat as we understand it, and because mecha were originally designed to be controlled by brain-computer interfaces, so they needed to be humanoid in order for their pilots to be able to use them like an extension of their own bodies. It's actually kind of cool how they do this, because the suits that are most perfectly designed to use those brain-computer interfaces look like cortical homunculi rather than people.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. The BETA also has extremely strong anti-air defenses and once you're forced to stay on the ground I can believe the mecha allow more freedom of movement than vehicles with wheels.

Maybe the betas just like to be stepped on.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

this is literally a reference to diebuster yes

lol. Figures. I saw Gunbuster ages ago but have never actually seen Diebuster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4KqbZ3iyVI

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 22, 2020

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Terrible news. Anncast was a trip and this guy among others was a huge help in helping me finally give a poo poo about movies. RIP

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

Terrible news. Anncast was a trip and this guy among others was a huge help in helping me finally give a poo poo about movies. RIP

Seconding this. I first heard about Zac and ANNcast in an ADTRW thread many years ago, when I was trying to engage with anime more than just casually watching. His takes could be brutal sometimes, and I didn't always agree with him, but he absolutely wanted to make anime fandom and appreciation better. It's gonna be tough to replace him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Iron-Blooded Orphans has mobile suits in general and Gundams in particular become extremely obsolete by the end.

It also explains why mecha are human-shaped - because armour is good enough that you need sledgehammers rather than bullets to get through it, so you might as well have a design that's suited to melee combat as we understand it, and because mecha were originally designed to be controlled by brain-computer interfaces, so they needed to be humanoid in order for their pilots to be able to use them like an extension of their own bodies. It's actually kind of cool how they do this, because the suits that are most perfectly designed to use those brain-computer interfaces look like cortical homunculi rather than people.

It isn't so much that they are obsolete as if you are willing to do what amounts to warcrimes then there is very little even the best suit/pilot can do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I know this but I just can't feel it myself because an annoying part of my brain is always screaming "shoot the leg shoot the leg" or wondering how much the unit cost of those mechs got increased because of the decision to base them on the human body. It's an absolute curse, I tell you.

are you looking forward to the life-size gundam trying to walk and falling flat on its face upon taking a single step

I think if it's a mecha that's controlled 1:1 by a human, like g gundam and such, to me it more makes sense to be human-shaped. but if it's like, flaps and foot pedals, it doesn't make much sense to me to have legs.

there was a neat prototype logging machine that apparently worked great but was slow and never made it to market? hard to find info on it except it's called "The Walking Machine" and was by a company that got gobbled up by John Deere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2V8GFqk_Y

also in terms of "mecha being obsolete", there was a really neat battle in gundam unicorn where a bunch of hidden zeon insurgents organized an attack on a federation base using old zeon mechs, and they initially do well but then the newer, much more powerful federation suits show up and just completely dismantle them in no time at all, with at least one line of "I can't believe they're doing this in those rustbuckets, they're insane"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc_P5TnASqY&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1263852583501905922?s=20

I don't remember what thread this usually gets posted in so here works lol

oh gently caress yes, definitely ordering this soon as it's available

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
mobile fighters are humanoid because you can't do kung fu without legs

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

G-L is basically a love letter to the entire genre so saying that it’s the only mech show you can tolerate is ??????

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DoubleDonut posted:

mobile fighters are humanoid because you can't do kung fu without legs

bullshit i bet you could do kung fu with tentacles

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

I can’t say for certain, but from what I can gleam from comments from twitter, he most likely committed suicide.

Could have died of a heart attack or the covid, he was a (recovered) fat guy and alcoholic nearing 40. Terribe no matter what though

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
man KILL LA KILL giving me good Gurren Lagann vibes with how ridiculous its getting

also Evil Mom Lady gently caress off

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh she fucks alright

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

It isn't so much that they are obsolete as if you are willing to do what amounts to warcrimes then there is very little even the best suit/pilot can do.

In other words, they're obsolete. 'War crimes' in IBO are threats to the dominant hegemony. Once Dainsleifs become mass-producible they're not war crimes any more, but vital peace-keeping technology.

IBO is cynical in very fun ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Yeah same. ANNCast and Zac's writing were both definitely a very formative experience for me in my 20s and I wouldn't have as much of an appreciation for anime or film without it. This is devastating.