Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
thank you for the replies! I'm intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The next console gen is going to be pretty iterative, though. Same x86 CPU architecture, system on chip from the same manufacturer, etc. The biggest point of excitement is the change to solid state hard drives, imo. That and a more relative CPU power, which was oftentimes a bottleneck this gen. Games will look nicer, hopefully run better, and generally be higher resolution. More CPU power hopefully means we'll see devs shooting for more advanced AI systems and world simulations. It'd be nice if 60FPS became the standard to shoot for.

The good news is that the iterative nature should result in less time for devs to become familiar with the architecture, and ports across consoles and PC will continue to be relatively easy.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

man nurse posted:

I bought yooka-laylee for a tenner and so far I’m not sure why this game was so derided, it’s pretty much exactly what it advertised itself to be?

it's exactly what they said it would be and I think the people who didn't like it just didn't want a new collectathon as much as they thought they did.

the one gripe I have about it is just that the worlds are a little TOO big after you enlarge them, but otherwise it's great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People thought they wanted a new N64 platformer until they actually played one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I posted this elsewhere too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2Us_C1FTE

Looks like they really put the work in the Saints Row 3 remaster. My interest shot up after watching that video!

Honestly I kinda liked how the characters looked on PS3 and 360 more. Now they look more like real people rather than like... I suppose cel shaded is the best way to describe it.

DuhSal posted:

I've never played a saint's row game, what separates it from something like gta?

It's like a GTA but it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously. The best way of describing it is that you're playing a consistent character all the time. Your character is always the kind of person who might just run out and do a facebuster on a random civilian or just throw someone off a highway. It's a lot more lighter tone all around, the weapon shop is called Friendly Fire, the auto shop is named Rim Jobs, you start the game with one of your characters advertising an energy drink that your gang's name is branded as, etc etc. It's pretty cool.

Oh and also you can change your sex- and entire appearance- for like $500 in game pretty much whenever and there's no restriction on what you want to wear. If you want to wear high heels and a dress as a guy, the game isn't going to stop you or change its look entirely like Skyrim armor or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's sort of like Metalocalypse in that the underlying joke is that this gang of unrepentant violent psychos is also somehow one of the most powerful cultural institutions in the world

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wait, I thought SR3 wasn't supposed to be realistic.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WaltherFeng posted:

Nah, the regular one is enough. You need to double tap to do the yank move.

Thank you for this post i was literally just away to farm for spear upgrades

acksplode
May 17, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

I mean, he’s not wrong. The next generation seems utterly conservative in terms of capabilities. Important performance numbers are going to go higher and that’s nice, but it’s not the revolutionary jump from pixel art to 3D or the kind of input device innovation that Nintendo goes for but that the graphics powerhouse consoles don’t. The controllers for the new systems are nearly identical the ones before which are nearly identical to the ones from 360/PS3.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to the new systems and when an exclusive system seller is released I’ll buy the new consoles, but I’m not salivating for launch day or anything.
Yeah tbh I don't understand any of the backlash that quote is getting. It's obviously true that the Switch is a revolutionary new hardware design for consoles while the PS5 and Series X are more powerful iterations of an existing console hardware design. That should be a pretty uncontroversial thing to say.

mysterious frankie posted:

Nintendo makes the most interesting consoles because they have gimmicks and are cheap, but they're not doing anything revolutionary.

Switch is absolutely revolutionary, and it was a ballsy gamble that only looks safe in retrospect because of its stunning success.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

exquisite tea posted:

Wait, I thought SR3 wasn't supposed to be realistic.

I long for a time when the idea that a violent cartoonish moron could stumble backwards into the presidency was just a funny video game joke

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

acksplode posted:

Yeah tbh I don't understand any of the backlash that quote is getting. It's obviously true that the Switch is a revolutionary new hardware design for consoles while the PS5 and Series X are more powerful iterations of an existing console hardware design. That should be a pretty uncontroversial thing to say.

They didn't say that the PS5 was the greatest console ever and also gives everyone blowjobs so obviously they're garbage programmers.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Environment-wise the GTA series has been leaning toward simulation more and more since San Andreas, without ever upgrading the story and worldbuilding from "our favorite badass movie scenes" and "what if we satirized consumerism by calling our version of Subway, Suckway?" The world is still fun to amble through, but it's not exactly a blast to do anything gamey in.

The world in Saints Row is just there because it has to be so that you can do activities. It's all about the minigames; they don't want to make a super detailed environment that you spend hours living in, or a physics engine that causes your character to realistically stumble if they take a sharp turn too suddenly. Also, the humor is about ten times stupider & braying than GTA, but it doesn't think it's being clever, so... I dunno. I never tried anything else in the series past 3 because I found the personality of the game to be so obnoxious as to obscure the gameplay. Ymmv.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
GTA thinks it's a Michael Mann movie. Saints Row thinks it's a Michael Bay movie.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

acksplode posted:

Switch is absolutely revolutionary, and it was a ballsy gamble that only looks safe in retrospect because of its stunning success.

How? It's a great handheld that you can play on your tv as if it were a last gen console. It's a cool gimmick and has a great library, but it's not revolutionary.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

How? It's a great handheld that you can play on your tv as if it were a last gen console. It's a cool gimmick and has a great library, but it's not revolutionary.

I went on vacation to another continent and brought with me a great online multiplayer shooter, a bunch of open world adventure games including the best one ever made, a shitload of great indie games, Dark Souls, DOOM 2016, etc. etc. and it all fit in my backpack and weighed less than a pound. I could play literally anywhere for at least a couple hours on a full charge. That's not a gimmick, that's a revolution that completely changes my relationship with gaming.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

The TV console/Mobile all in one is pretty revolutionary considering the other VGs are just specs going up (to catch up with what high end PCs already do).

Sony at least is trying something new this time, the XBOX is just updating to PC standards of the last few years.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

acksplode posted:

I went on vacation to another continent and brought with me a great online multiplayer shooter, a bunch of open world adventure games including the best one ever made, a shitload of great indie games, Dark Souls, DOOM 2016, etc. etc. and it all fit in my backpack and weighed less than a pound. I could play literally anywhere for at least a couple hours on a full charge. That's not a gimmick, that's a revolution that completely changes my relationship with gaming.

You've described an iterative improvement to 3ds\vita, except you don't need to get it modded or buy third party hardware to get it to play on your tv. It's neat, but it's not revolutionary.

With this and that Platinum debacle I feel like I'm talking to certain people about their religion.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You've described an iterative improvement to 3ds\vita, except you don't need to get it modded or buy third party hardware to get it to play on your tv. It's neat, but it's not revolutionary.

The Switch is not an iterative improvement on the 3DS, no one would ever mistake a 3DS for a home console. It didn't have the basic capabilities or controls to play console games, with the exceptions of Xenoblade Chronicles and MGS3, which both looked like poo poo and required special hardware (either a New 3DS or analog stick attachment) to get close to the console experience. The Vita was a failed attempt to do what the Switch succeeded at. Had the Vita succeeded at delivering console-quality gaming in a good handheld without too many compromises, it would rightfully be regarded as revolutionary.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Ape has broken me. I need to try some farm simulator to chill out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It legit took me weeks

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

acksplode posted:

The Switch is not an iterative improvement on the 3DS, no one would ever mistake a 3DS for a home console. It didn't have the basic capabilities or controls to play console games, with the exceptions of Xenoblade Chronicles and MGS3, which both looked like poo poo and required special hardware (either a New 3DS or analog stick attachment) to get close to the console experience. The Vita was a failed attempt to do what the Switch succeeded at. Had the Vita succeeded at delivering console-quality gaming in a good handheld without too many compromises, it would rightfully be regarded as revolutionary.

The Vita was an iterative PSP without Monster Hunter, but Monster Molester.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

acksplode posted:

Nintendo did something cool. They made a handheld that produces audio and visuals on par with a Wiiu while being smaller than a Wiiu (removing an optical drive goes a long way to reducing size on anything, so that somewhat undercuts the wow factor). They did this by leveraging a custom version of older Nvidia Tegra technology. It can also easily send audio and video to your television over a simple docking station that converts usb c to hdmi. It is a good thing, but it has pushed the industry forward in no way whatsoever. It is not revolutionary.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nintendo did something cool. They made a handheld that produces audio and visuals on par with a Wiiu while being smaller than a Wiiu (removing an optical drive goes a long way to reducing size on anything, so that somewhat undercuts the wow factor). They did this by leveraging a custom version of older Nvidia Tegra technology. It can also easily send audio and video to your television over a simple docking station that converts usb c to hdmi. It is a good thing, but it has pushed the industry forward in no way whatsoever. It is not revolutionary.

Sony did something cool. They made a console with a faster CPU and a disc drive and hardware 3D acceleration, which is hardly new to PCs. I guess you can plug it into a low resolution TV? It is a good thing, but it has pushed the industry forward in no way whatsoever. It is not revolutionary.

The point you're missing is that whether something is "revolutionary" has nothing to do with the hardware inside it, but with the experience it creates. Switch fundamentally changed the way I play games, PS5 will not. Switch is revolutionary.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Don't know if it's your style, but have you tried cheesing the boss?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JollyBoyJohn posted:

How close have you come to beating it?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

WaltherFeng posted:

Nah, the regular one is enough. You need to double tap to do the yank move.

Woe is me :(

Speaking of , Im back on the bird boss and forgot how fuckin hard he is. And the boss run is the worst in the game I think

But it the rooftops full of purple is a great way to farm skills.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Anyone playing Maneater? Cause uh... It's pretty fun!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
On the one hand Switch is the best, but on the other hand Bloodborne 2.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Imhotep posted:

How close have you come to beating it?

The first time I fought him I got maybe 2/3rds off his health on phase 2, I've came that close again maybe twice out of 40+ attempts, haha

BisterdDave posted:

Don't know if it's your style, but have you tried cheesing the boss?

To some extent, I saw a video which said you should bait out his poop attack and run underneath him but it doesn't feel natural to me, I'm not against cheesy strats though

Grem posted:

I was tempted by it but its £35 quid, I was expecting a bit less, but I'll keep my eye on it

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

man nurse posted:

I bought yooka-laylee for a tenner and so far I’m not sure why this game was so derided, it’s pretty much exactly what it advertised itself to be?

The camera controls were garbage at launch until they got patched to not be garbage.

Grem posted:

I really want to play this but I feel €40 is too much for what might end up like Goat Simulator where I play for half an hour then feel like I've eaten all the dudes there are. Let us know how repetitive it feels!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What was the last revolutionary console by your standards? The Wii?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

acksplode posted:

Sony did something cool. They made a console with a faster CPU and a disc drive and hardware 3D acceleration, which is hardly new to PCs. I guess you can plug it into a TV? It is a good thing, but it has pushed the industry forward in no way whatsoever. It is not revolutionary.

The point you're missing is that whether something is "revolutionary" has nothing to do with the hardware inside it, but with the experience it creates. Switch fundamentally changed the way I play games, PS5 will not.

Oof, ok. First point I've already explicitly stated myself?

Then, as to the second point, the experience the Switch creates for me is that I can play a good looking handheld game wherever, and I can also play it on the tv without paying someone else for special hardware or to make changes to my handheld. It's novel and I like it, but you are vastly overstating its general impact on its industry because you [i]really/i] like what it is doing. It has had literally no impact on how Sony and Microsoft are developing their new consoles. It is a nice thing with a clever gimmick that works well, and you really love it, and nothing about any of that is bad or silly and it doesn't make the Switch less of a gaming platform.

I don't know how much more in depth I can go to explaining my position on this and nothing that has been said seems to address it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oof, ok. First point I've already explicitly stated myself?
Difference is I was being ironic.

I don't know how much more in depth I can go to explaining my position on this and nothing that has been said seems to address it.

Yeah we're done here.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I don't know what game to play next...
The last 2 games I finished were Spiderman and AC: Origins. I was recommended AC: Odyssey, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Control or Detroit Become Human.
I don't think I want to get into another AC game. I watched 3 minutes of the quick look for HZD and it looks like that's another game where you hunt down 10 animals to craft a better weapon to hunt down the next 10 animals etc. Control & Detroit don't look like games I'd enjoy. I don't like that futuristic setting.
Any other recommendations? Maybe a PS Plus game from the last couple of months I missed? I claim them all, but haven't downloaded most of those...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

I don't know what game to play next...
The last 2 games I finished were Spiderman and AC: Origins. I was recommended AC: Odyssey, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Control or Detroit Become Human.
I don't think I want to get into another AC game. I watched 3 minutes of the quick look for HZD and it looks like that's another game where you hunt down 10 animals to craft a better weapon to hunt down the next 10 animals etc. Control & Detroit don't look like games I'd enjoy. I don't like that futuristic setting.
Any other recommendations? Maybe a PS Plus game from the last couple of months I missed? I claim them all, but haven't downloaded most of those...

Have you played Bloodborne?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They are all iterations on previous console but considering the state of mobile gaming, the jump from 3DS to switch was way more significant in the overall user experience and whats expected of mobile games than what happened if you follow say... the xbox or playstation (1,2,3,4) line of consoles that while each one improved on the past on many things it's always with technology already present on computers for home gaming.

Well, you can consider that revolutionary or not.

As I said before, the only thing that gets me excited in this new generation is Sony new IO stuff and SSD tech because it is something new, that you don't find elsewhere and that can enable developers to do some new and exciting stuff.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

What was the last revolutionary console by your standards? The Wii?

Definitely the Wii. Sony and Microsoft have spent the last two generations trying and failing with poo poo like Kinect and Move (and to a lesser extent PSVR) to figure out an affordable way to recreate that sensation of interactivity that Wii nailed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's been too many years to remember all the detail but Saints Row 2 felt like the spiritual sequel to GTA III for me and had lots of little quality-of-life improvements to mechanics and controls that made it less aggravating to play compared to GTA 3 and Vice City. SR3 and 4 start to get a little too over-the-top for me but 2 was perfect.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ZZZorcerer posted:

As I said before, the only thing that gets me excited in this new generation is Sony new IO stuff and SSD tech because it is something new, that you don't find elsewhere and that can enable developers to do some new and exciting stuff.

Yeah that's gonna be cool. And it's similar to Nintendo's approach to hardware innovation -- Sony is inventing nothing fundamentally new in storage tech, just doing a smart job of system integration by working backward from player experience. I especially admire the custom controller that handles compression and GPU cache management, they're taking advantage of the fact that faster processors are getting diminishing returns for their cost in heat and energy, but smartly applied slow processors are cheap and can have a huge impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

man nurse posted:

On release the camera was utterly busted. 3D platformers can go from garbage to decent purely based on camera AI and control alone.