Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes but is there anything to do with my pasta water after I've soaked my feet in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

Yes but is there anything to do with my pasta water after I've soaked my feet in it

So it's pasta and corn water now?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

zoux posted:

Are you a gamer girl, by any chance?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Elviscat posted:

I love that this is normally referenced to with the super fancy I-talian phrase "aqua fava" which just means bean water in English.

Even fancier than that, it's Latin :smugdog:

It did its job, though, I thought this was something that had been common knowledge for centuries but...nope, people have been making bean meringues for 6 years.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PirateDentist posted:

Mmmh, Starchy coffee.

Are people not more concerned it's really loving salty and that she's having pasta for breakfast?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

zoux posted:

Sure, you just have to use it in the right order:

Shampoo hair > Wash dishes > Soak feet > Water plants

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aramoro posted:

Are people not more concerned it's really loving salty and that she's having pasta for breakfast?
Some people don't salt their pasta water. Some people salt their coffee. As long as your family isn't the union of these two concepts you should be ok.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

zedprime posted:

Some people don't salt their pasta water. Some people salt their coffee. As long as your family isn't the union of these two concepts you should be ok.

People who don't salt their pasta water are not ok

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MizPiz posted:

People who don't salt their pasta water are not ok

Absolutely though I wish people would stop saying it should taste like the ocean. Those people have clearly never tasted actual salt water.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

I've often wondered if there's any use for pasta water, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. Use it to make soup or rice?

I mix some in the tomato sauce when I make spaghetti, it supposedly makes it adhere to the pasta better.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

Even fancier than that, it's Latin :smugdog:

Not really. Latin for 'bean' is 'faba'. 'Fava' is Italian. Classical Latin didn't even have the v-sound. The words we pronounce like that anyway are just an alternate spelling of 'u' to make pronunciation easier for the semivocally challenged.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Twitch posted:

I mix some in the tomato sauce when I make spaghetti, it supposedly makes it adhere to the pasta better.

It absolutely does, especially if you then simmer it down just a bit. It thickens beautifully and makes for dank leftover pasta as well.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Not really. Latin for 'bean' is 'faba'. 'Fava' is Italian. Classical Latin didn't even have the v-sound. The words we pronounce like that anyway are just an alternate spelling of 'u' to make pronunciation easier for the semivocally challenged.

The first guy made a typo - it’s known as aquafaba

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Captain Splendid posted:

You can make merigues using the water from a jar of chickpeas, however.
Also works with garbanzo beans.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

dialhforhero posted:

I say 2007 or earlier because there was a pretty serious cultural ahift around 2012-13ish where ‘joking’ racism, ‘joking’ bigotry, alt-right sentiment, and ‘edgelord’ behavior was getting banned left and right.

This is also when Reddit and 4chan started to absolutely explode.

I anecdotally feel like people that got banned or left from this form did so because they were a part of that culture amd Reddit and 4chan welcomed them with open arms.

I also say people from 2007 and earlier because the internet as a whole was a wild west in that behavioral sense and it started to tame and regulate in the United States during the Obama presidency, which is PROBABLY where most forum users come from.

Wasn't that around the time of "gamergate" or something though.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Also works with garbanzo beans.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

The obvious use for pasta water or rice water is to use it as a thickener for a sauce. My mom used to have a box of powderd starch in the kitchen cabinets to be able to make any watery dish more gooey.

What’s more interesting is the mindset that re-using your pasta water is either necessary or helpful. It’s part of the smoke screen that tells consumers to focus on ridiculously small parts of wastefulness and polution.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Yeah. If you eat pasta every goddamn day, and save your pasta water, that's going to amount to less water savings than like 1% of a farm field installing drip irrigation. You could save the same amount by staying in the shower for like 5 fewer seconds. Why the gently caress would you care about saving a pint of gross starchwater???

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ulex minor posted:

this really has lost all meaning now hasn't it

Not really? That account seems to love spreading racist dogwhistles against China and Muslims.

I was mostly warning folks to not open the actual account hoping for more comedy. You won't find it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The Bloop posted:

So there's some good news anyway

I legitimately cannot tell if this is real or not.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

morallyobjected posted:

I legitimately cannot tell if this is real or not.

https://twitter.com/nbcpolitics/status/1263523204045430790?s=21

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah. If you eat pasta every goddamn day, and save your pasta water, that's going to amount to less water savings than like 1% of a farm field installing drip irrigation. You could save the same amount by staying in the shower for like 5 fewer seconds. Why the gently caress would you care about saving a pint of gross starchwater???

It's a kind of fetish (in the classical anthropological context) that gives a kind of spiritual balm that lets people feel just a little bit better about the grand ecological crimes being perpetrated en masse on earth

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

:suicide:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basically anything you do to save water or energy or whatever is immaterial and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Even if millions upon millions of people were to do the same the difference would be minuscule.

See:
The total shutdown of airlines and massive reduction of overall traffic due to Covid19 will barely have an effect on global warming.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1263916164713009153?s=20

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FreudianSlippers posted:

Basically anything you do to save water or energy or whatever is immaterial and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Even if millions upon millions of people were to do the same the difference would be minuscule.

See:
The total shutdown of airlines and massive reduction of overall traffic due to Covid19 will barely have an effect on global warming.

:emo:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Did you watch that film clip? They made Mutter Deutschland a black woman deliberately so they could get as much of a reaction out of Die Chuds as possible

"No, my shirt says The Chuds, The."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PaulBearer posted:

Well, actually...

Interesting roy orbison cover act.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

OwlFancier posted:

Interesting roy orbison cover act.

Not enough cling film. 2/10

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Phy posted:

"No, my shirt says The Chuds, The."

No one who speaks German could be evil!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

the zero waste movement is astroturfed by industrial concerns to shift responsibility to the tiny component of waste that is consumer-based

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The unification of Germany is inherently fascist. A proper Germany should be at least 20 different principalities.

Abba Kovner had some good ideas.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zipperelli. posted:

I'll cede this point.

I guess I don't consider them "edgy" because that word has such a poo poo implication. I hear it and immediately think of lovely teens who do insane poo poo just to do it with no thought behind their actions. Rammstein is like, the "chaotic good" of edgy.

I don't think Deutschland is edgy as much as provocative. Edgy is

quote:

Well, I've hosed the queen, I've hosed Bach
I've even sucked an old man's cock
So what, so what
And I've hosed a sheep, I've hosed a goat
I rammed my cock right down its throat
So what, so what
So what, so what, you boring little gently caress
Which is great, IMO, but different.

Here's a great analysis of the song by a German guy who knows his politics and history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc-euVL8xQs

Tl;dr every choice in the video was very deliberate commentary on Germany's past and isn't there just to make someone mad. Rammstein aren't my favorite musically speaking, but I really like their approach and attitude.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Someone in the 'Trump death cult' thread pointed out that Trump is literally incapable of referring to himself as "negative" in any way.

So, even when he gets negative test results he can't just say that, he has to say 'positive' but oh poo poo, now people might think he has the virus, so he starts up with that insane mush brained postive-is-negative rant.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:29 on May 23, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Nws-ish
https://i.imgur.com/eRFsgPu.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004