Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I'm definitely at that point of Animal Crossing where I have little ideas (I haven't felt creative in a while) and don't have much to do so it does feel like a bit of a chore to log in but I also got 130 hrs (or more) out of the game now which is a lot for me so I feel like I got my money's worth regardless (and it was a very fun experience). Plus they do have updates like May Day and the new wing to the museum which is fun to hop into. But yea, I'm definitely finding much less to do now and the desire isn't there to play it as much as before, at least right now.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I just want a game that takes the AC:NH museum and massively expands it. Just go around the world collecting plants, animals, fossils etc and filling in a massive beautiful museum.

Edit: Also yeah I've burned out of Animal Crossing as well. I was excited about the art update but it seems like it'll take multiple years to finish that. Only reason I keep playing daily is for something to do at work.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I've slowed down a lot now that I've accomplished my major goals in AC. Like yeah I just log on to do daily chores and maybe chill a bit for 30 mins (the goon describing it as a zen garden is spot on). But cmon dudes. When you get to the point where the game boils down to menial daily tasks, you've likely already spent a ton of time playing. That's way more than I can say for other switch games--I have over 280 hours on AC. But I understand that your mileage may vary and depends on your personal taste/habits. If you don't care for certain things or you're not motivated to do personal projects on your island that's fine, everyone plays the game differently. Right now I'm just excited to see what future events there will be and look forward to winter season (the best season).

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pretty good posted:

Huh RealMyst is on the eshop now.

This is the version where it's actually in 3D instead of being built out of prerendered scenes, right? Is it worth a look?

Have you ever played Myst before? I've only played the original Myst release, so I can't vouch for RealMyst one way or the other, but I can definitely recommend Myst in general. It's an excellent puzzle game. Be observant and a little patient, it is a game from 1993. But it has some real good puzzles and only one or two bullshit puzzles (very minor suggestion/spoiler: just look up the solution to "the tram." you'll know it when you get there).

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I've slowed down a lot now that I've accomplished my major goals in AC. Like yeah I just log on to do daily chores and maybe chill a bit for 30 mins (the goon describing it as a zen garden is spot on). But cmon dudes. When you get to the point where the game boils down to menial daily tasks, you've likely already spent a ton of time playing. That's way more than I can say for other switch games--I have over 280 hours on AC. But I understand that your mileage may vary and depends on your personal taste/habits. If you don't care for certain things or you're not motivated to do personal projects on your island that's fine, everyone plays the game differently. Right now I'm just excited to see what future events there will be and look forward to winter season (the best season).

yea I'm definitely still interested in any new events and to see how other seasons play out.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I pick up Animal Crossing? I'm worried that it will be a game that seems fun at first but then becomes repetitive and pointless after a week.

I would say pick it up. I haven't really gotten into it as much as uhh the internet under quarantine has but I still enjoy it from time to time. I usually check in at least while I have my morning coffee.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i'm excited for when it snows in my village this winter!!! at least i'm assuming this happens.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i'm excited for when it snows in my village this winter!!! at least i'm assuming this happens.

yeah and it's really pretty! i'm super excited for it and can't wait for that season.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
RealMyst also has a new age added on with some additional plot stuff. It’s good. I haven’t played the Switch version, but I bought it just because of how much I love that series. I think this is like the 10th time I’ve bought Myst.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Have you ever played Myst before? I've only played the original Myst release, so I can't vouch for RealMyst one way or the other, but I can definitely recommend Myst in general. It's an excellent puzzle game. Be observant and a little patient, it is a game from 1993. But it has some real good puzzles and only one or two bullshit puzzles (very minor suggestion/spoiler: just look up the solution to "the tram." you'll know it when you get there).
Not in about twenty years and I don't think I ever ended up finishing it! Riven was way more my jam.

I'll probably snag it tomorrow though tbh, gotta take advantage of that launch discount

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

When I'm playing Animal Crossing now I go through the "daily chores" at this point, but I also mostly go in looking to see how my animal friends are and end up taking longer than expected because I start moving some trees or harvesting the orange orchard, or see a neat thing for sale and decide to theme about it, or get a clothing prompt from Label, or there's villagers moving out to share with goons etc.

It's a nice break from helping mad king Dimitri try to kill his stepsister, fascist queen Edelgard

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A friend of mine has an excellent approach to his Animal Crossing island -- at least 50% of the total land is dedicated to villager's houses, and every villager has a sizable themed yard, e.g. a jock villager has a workout area with a bench press and pull-up bar. It's kind of like adding 10 more rooms to your house, except it's a lot less weird looking than dedicating an entire room of your house to all that "zen poo poo" you picked up during sakura blossom season. Also, you may be surprised at just how many things your villagers will interact with! A jock villager will use all that stuff!

I'm also now firmly into "daily chore" mode, but this is just how Animal Crossing games go. Don't forget to stick around for the changing of the seasons and the other events!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

AC is great but if you play it like a video game you're gonna hate it. I don't play because I want to collect all the whatevers, I play because I care about my friend Joey and I want to talk to him. That world is better than our own and visiting it is a treat, not a task.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Animal Crossing is more like a really complicated tamagochi or virtual pet device than a game. There's no reason or need to do anything repetitive, you'll just make money slower, but that's fine.

Decorating a big virtual dollhouse and playing with the cute occupants is fun, but if it doesn't sound fun, that's all AC really is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RZA Encryption posted:

AC is great but if you play it like a video game you're gonna hate it. I don't play because I want to collect all the whatevers, I play because I care about my friend Joey and I want to talk to him. That world is better than our own and visiting it is a treat, not a task.

Yeah exactly

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, new Switch owner here. Apologies for what is probably a dumb question but I’m confused about Nintendo’s DRM method. If I buy a Switch game via the Nintendo Store on the console, is that purchase tied to my console or my account?

For instance if I wanted to sell the console in the future could I remove my Nintendo account but leave the games on there to add resale value? Or would that be a bad idea because they’re still tied to my account?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Hi, new Switch owner here. Apologies for what is probably a dumb question but I’m confused about Nintendo’s DRM method. If I buy a Switch game via the Nintendo Store on the console, is that purchase tied to my console or my account?

For instance if I wanted to sell the console in the future could I remove my Nintendo account but leave the games on there to add resale value? Or would that be a bad idea because they’re still tied to my account?

Games are tied to the account. You have to have both consoles on-hand to transfer the data. Nintendo might do it if you ask nicely but it'd disable those games on your old system for whoever bought it.

In any case, I believe the games would work if you delete the account they're associated with, but they can't be re-downloaded.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it worth paying the extra $5 for the "Gold Edition" of Mario + Rabbids?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is it worth paying the extra $5 for the "Gold Edition" of Mario + Rabbids?

Yes. The DK campaign owns.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
As a general rule it's almost always worth purchasing discounted expansion/season pass bundles as usually those go on sale more often than the standalone expansion/season pass DLC.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. The DK campaign owns.

I found the DK campaign to be better than the main game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cool deal. And it turns out I have $5 worth of coins in my account so I'm basically getting the bonus stuff for free, so that works out nicely.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does What the Golf's charm last through the whole thing? I hear the switch port is very good and I'm thinking about picking it up while it's on sale but I wondered if the game gets kinda samey once you get the premise.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I guess I no longer understand how the game sharing for a Switch works, because it let me download and play a game somebody else bought and owned (their profile is on my primary Switch) using my own profile, just fine, last night.

This game was originally bought and downloaded on their own, primary, Switch. This whole download & play experiment was performed after accidentally launching the wrong game, another one they had purchased earlier but subsequently downloaded to mine. Which also worked.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just bought Digimon Cyber Sleuth, and have a couple of questions:

1. Does it matter which story I play first? A quick Google search seems to imply that the Hacker's Memory has more/updated content? Because it's a later release?

2. Does this Complete Edition come with the DLC for the games? I don't see any option to buy DLC from the eShop.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is Streets of Rage 4 better than River City Girls?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Not a Children posted:

Games are tied to the account. You have to have both consoles on-hand to transfer the data. Nintendo might do it if you ask nicely but it'd disable those games on your old system for whoever bought it.

In any case, I believe the games would work if you delete the account they're associated with, but they can't be re-downloaded.

I'm dense, does this mean there's no real way to pass on ownership of games if you sell the console? And presumably that's the same even if you had a physical copy of the game? I'm contemplating buying a Switch just to play Deadly Premonition 2 when it comes out and then would like to be able to onsell it after that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Physical games are tied to the card.

Digital games are stuck with whoever bought them.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I haven't played RCG yet but SoR4 is an incredibly good game.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

SoR4 is probably the better game but the style, character development system and fun Easter eggs kept me hooked all the way through RCG.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm just shocked because people often say it is and River City Girls was my game of the year last year.

Is Streets of Rage 4 still fun to play without friends? Or is this not an issue due to online mulitplayer matches being easy to find?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

American McGay posted:

Physical games are tied to the card.

Digital games are stuck with whoever bought them.

Sweet thanks!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

punk rebel ecks posted:

They are both great, to me, but Streets of Rage 4 gives you all your moves up front so it's easier to get in to and start mashing your way forward. The way it keeps you hooked is instead of the dopamine from leveling up and buying new moves, you see how you can get your combo count higher with juggling your enemies and move canceling. It's as deep and you want to make it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes. The core gameplay is much much better imo. It’s absolutely fun to play alone. I’ve gone through it multiple times already while just one run of RCG was enough for me.

I think it may just be the best beat em up game ever made. It’s definitely the first “modern” one that I’ve actually wanted to replay and never felt like a slog. I hope it gets DLC. I want an adult Skate and Roo playable.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 23, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think one thing that really bothers me about Animal Crossing is how villagers have to comment on you being missing when you haven't logged on for a few days. I still like to play it but I want to just be able to chat with my villagers without having to go through every single one of them bitching me out because I don't turn the game on every single goddamn day.

Streets of Rage 4 owns hard and I've had zero trouble getting online matches. That said, I have had some degree of lag in every online game I've played so it's not perfect.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

they're better than they were in previous games.

I'm pretty sure they asked in new leaf whether I had died if I didn't play long enough

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Should I buy Streets of Rade 4 on Steam or subscribe for Gamepass for a month?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I buy Streets of Rade 4 on Steam or subscribe for Gamepass for a month?

:thunk:
Maybe Nintendo Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Rutibex posted:

:thunk:
Maybe Nintendo Switch?

I only have an arcade stick for PC.