Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Thanks for the suggestions. Body Melt is definitely one I was eyeing, so I'll check that out, and probably another couple depending on what the total comes to.

also anyone have thoughts on Taking Tiger Mountain? looks interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: I'm definitely snagging that AGFA release

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

someone recommend some good VS releases for me. I already have and enjoy:

Night Train to Terror
Christmas Evil
Hell Comes to Frogtown
Def by Temptation
Masoleum
Spookies
Tammy and the T-Rex
Jack Frost
Liquid Sky
Uninvited

Disconnected.

I don't know why exactly but I really liked that movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

Disconnected.

I don't know why exactly but I really liked that movie.

Oh yeah, dude's other movie on VS is good too, Psychos in Love

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1263844187524472838?s=21

Not as expensive as I thought it was going to be

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh yeah, dude's other movie on VS is good too, Psychos in Love

Oh snap gunna scoop that up.

I also enjoyed The Candy Snatchers. It's like a meaner and cruder Coens flick. Warning: the movie contains several sexual assault scenes so if that's a deal breaker I'd stay away.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Annoyed by several of these being limited runs and not just limited covers

Has anyone did the shipping with a film canister? I'm really tempted just to have it as a decoration lol

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 22, 2020

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
If anybody still needs to add an extra movie to their Vinegar Syndrome order, I'd highly recommend Star Time. It’s is a great pre-Scream slasher from the 90s. It doesn’t really go in the directions one would expect for the subgenre (no on-screen gore), but it’s a pretty fascinating watch. It has a nice dream-like feeling and some fantastic cinematography and location work for the budget.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t know how VS’s are, but I got a film canister at an Alamo screening and I kinda regret keeping it because it just sits around and it’s rusted as poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t know how VS’s are, but I got a film canister at an Alamo screening and I kinda regret keeping it because it just sits around and it’s rusted as poo poo.

That's my big worry, that's it's all rusted.

Almost Blue posted:

If anybody still needs to add an extra movie to their Vinegar Syndrome order, I'd highly recommend Star Time. It’s is a great pre-Scream slasher from the 90s. It doesn’t really go in the directions one would expect for the subgenre (no on-screen gore), but it’s a pretty fascinating watch. It has a nice dream-like feeling and some fantastic cinematography and location work for the budget.

I'll have to get this next time!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The film can I got from VS has some minor corrosion, but it's not totally rusted out either. It's probably the standard wear and tear for a used film can, keep in mind it's a lot larger than you'd think it would be.

My only real compliant was that you get a plastic shipping envelope attached to it, and that adhesive is a bitch, but I don't think there's anyway around it.

I don't regret it.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'll have to get this next time!

Just add it to your order, you have all weekend

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Just add it to your order, you have all weekend

I'll have to mull it over, spent too much on my initial order.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Did anyone else reach the point where they've decided that a good blu-ray is good enough? I have the Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead blu-ray and it's actually quite good. For some odd reason it's been looked down on as a mediocre release and that's just not true. It even has a high rating on blu-ray.com. At this point I just don't give a poo poo about buying a new copy of the same movie every time there's a new scan and it's been touched by the hand of God. I don't just mean this for Dawn of the Dead but in general. The Anchor Bay release already looks better than the movie ever did prior to that point on video by far. Unless there's a drastic leap in quality I just can't be bothered anymore. I suppose it also matters way more to people with fancy rear end TVs and players, but I just have regular rear end stuff. However, I do know that this will be many people's first chance to get this movie on blu-ray so that's cool. On a related note, is there any word about Martin? That movie desperately needs a blu-ray release. I also consider it to be the better of the two movies as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Did anyone else reach the point where they've decided that a good blu-ray is good enough? I have the Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead blu-ray and it's actually quite good. For some odd reason it's been looked down on as a mediocre release and that's just not true. It even has a high rating on blu-ray.com. At this point I just don't give a poo poo about buying a new copy of the same movie every time there's a new scan and it's been touched by the hand of God. I don't just mean this for Dawn of the Dead but in general. The Anchor Bay release already looks better than the movie ever did prior to that point on video by far. Unless there's a drastic leap in quality I just can't be bothered anymore. I suppose it also matters way more to people with fancy rear end TVs and players, but I just have regular rear end stuff. However, I do know that this will be many people's first chance to get this movie on blu-ray so that's cool. On a related note, is there any word about Martin? That movie desperately needs a blu-ray release. I also consider it to be the better of the two movies as well.

Totally case by case.

That's the tough thing about 4k/UHD. It's really for people who are ok with reading reviews and making a decision on each release on a case by case basis. Because you're right, not every new transfer is going to be worth upgrading, and it's going to be different from person to person depending on your specific setup.

Every once in a while you get a release like The Shining or Wizard of Oz where it's just a no-brainer, it's clearly the best the film has ever looked by a mile. But not every release is like that. My rule of thumb is that if I'm buying a movie I don't own yet in any format, I'll buy the UHD because why not? They always come with a regular blu ray anyway. But if I'm thinking about double-dipping and upgrading a blu ray I already own, I read some review to decide if it's worth it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If it's a 4K scan, then yeah, it's probably worth the upgrade. That original Dawn scan, while good for the time, is 16 years old. Transfer tech has come far since then.

Is this getting a US release?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I still have a lot of DVDs that I didn't double dip on the Blu-Ray upgrade. I'm definitely in a "Blu is good enough" state for the most part, as I haven't double dipped from Blu to UHD, yet. Although to go along with my Evil Dead, and Evil Dead 2 UHDs, I"ll be triple dipping if there's a good Army of Darkness UHD

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I wish I could participate in the VS sale, but I just went bonkers updating my TV and now I have The Shining and 2001 UHDs on their way. :hellyeah:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed

Tammy and the T-Rex 4k
Def By Temptation
Spookies
Christmas Evil

I haven’t seen Rad, so I just don’t know about grabbing that one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I grabbed

Tammy and the T-Rex 4k
Def By Temptation
Spookies
Christmas Evil

I haven’t seen Rad, so I just don’t know about grabbing that one.

Go get Putney Swope and

Disconnected

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

like Basebf555 said, case by case basis. Dawn of The Dead is one of those movies I will always keep an eye out for if a new scan or mastering comes out and for this one, probably blind pre-order based on the history of the company doing the work. For other movies that will probably be plentiful in their disc pressing numbers I'll wait and read some reviews. I'm definitely not going to replace all of my current blu-ray collection (my tracker says I'm past 500 and that's collecting since the format first started coming out), but new releases will be UHD off the bat and anything I have currently in my library will be case by case. Some of these UHD transfers dont come out so hot so I dont upgrade or maybe I poke around and see if there was a nicely done blu-ray copy out there. I just want to have the best possible quality of my favorite movies and the rest will kinda just be what I can get for the best quality/price.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Did anyone else reach the point where they've decided that a good blu-ray is good enough?

It's a pure numbers game. People have themselves convinced that they can tell the difference between regular HD and 4K on something like a 55" screen - while probably sitting 9 feet away. It's absurd. A good blu-ray can look spectacular at 100". If I had room for a 150", I might consider getting a 4K projector.

I know that some people go nuts over HDR, but most TVs have to crank up the dynamic contrast to show it off, and I think it mostly looks terrible and unnatural.

However, some 4K discs are a pronounced improvement over blu-rays, but that's mainly because the BD was never (all that) good in the first place. For example: Big Lebowski, Top Gun, American Psycho, Blade Runner, War of the Worlds. And the improvement can easily be seen even when viewing the 4K downscaled to 2K. So in that sense I appreciate UHD.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
For the most part, most people don't realize that what you're seeing in a theater is only a little better than a Bluray. Most theaters that use digital projection only screen DCPs that are DCI 2K with 10 bit color, 2048x1080 which is 128 pixels wider than 1920x1080.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, UHD really shines on things that were produced before sometime in the mid-90s

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

When I found out that Xbox One can play UHD discs it made me decide to finally get Predator (which I still haven't done) because at least there's finally a good release of that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Unrelated, but does anyone know if the UFO Abduction blu-ray uses that title and the original intro/end credits or di they changed it so it's called the McPherson Tape? I've been spergin about that because not only is the McPherson tape not the real title, but the family in the movie's names are Van Heese and the movie hasn't really been seen with the opening or closing credits.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Unrelated, but does anyone know if the UFO Abduction blu-ray uses that title and the original intro/end credits or di they changed it so it's called the McPherson Tape? I've been spergin about that because not only is the McPherson tape not the real title, but the family in the movie's names are Van Heese and the movie hasn't really been seen with the opening or closing credits.

This is all I've got, taken from the horror thread:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Important question!

The history of The McPherson Tape is that it was a bootleg version of UFO Abduction with the titles/credits chopped off in order to hoax people. But this Blu-Ray includes UFO Abduction as a separate bonus feature - described as a 2017 Director's Cut.

Does this Director's Cut simply restore the missing text, or is it significantly different in some other way?

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't watched the 2017 cut at this time, but the original cut that I watched had end credits, including a shot of the kids playing the aliens without their masks on.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well poo poo; if you're talking about the VS Blu-Ray, that means that this McPherson Tape is actually a new third cut of the film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Steen71 posted:

However, some 4K discs are a pronounced improvement over blu-rays, but that's mainly because the BD was never (all that) good in the first place. For example: Big Lebowski, Top Gun, American Psycho, Blade Runner, War of the Worlds. And the improvement can easily be seen even when viewing the 4K downscaled to 2K. So in that sense I appreciate UHD.

Well, this is really the main point of the whole thing, which you're kinda glossing over. Sure, if a movie had a fantastic reference quality blu ray release already, there's a good chance you're not gonna notice much of a difference between that and a UHD. But that's what makes a lot of the best UHDs worth it, you're upgrading from like a 10-12 year old blu ray that was already flawed and mediocre when it came out.

But I do think HDR is enough of a plus that if I'm buying a new movie that I didn't own before, it's worth it to pay the extra few bucks for the UHD.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anyone really dog on the older Dawn Blu-ray, so much as people just can't get the drat thing. It also looks a little raw when you compare it to the DVD version most of us had, given it only has one cut of the movie and no features, whereas this one covers all the same ground as that box.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's definitely a big plus. I wont ever retire that ultimate edition dvd set because its cool as gently caress and i must've watched every cut of that movie a dozen times, but it'll be nice to have a UHD definitive edition of all the cuts of the movie.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Steen71 posted:

It's a pure numbers game. People have themselves convinced that they can tell the difference between regular HD and 4K on something like a 55" screen - while probably sitting 9 feet away. It's absurd. A good blu-ray can look spectacular at 100". If I had room for a 150", I might consider getting a 4K projector.

I know that some people go nuts over HDR, but most TVs have to crank up the dynamic contrast to show it off, and I think it mostly looks terrible and unnatural.

I can notice HDR. There is a vibrancy that doesn't require you to jank up the picture.

Resolution matters the less you go up. I mean, hell, someone is this thread I believed mention how they could project a high quality SD version, and people would be shocked by the quality. 4K isn't going to make that much of a difference.

I find that, at it's peak, Blu-ray is a 8/10 in picture quality, and UHD is a 9 or 10. It's better, but not really a huge meaningful improvement that renders the other obsolete. If all I had was the Blu of 2001, I'd be happy. But the 4k version is totally a legit snack.

And yes, HDR for Lawrence of Arabia is going to blow me away. I'm legit excited for that.

I'll double dip, but only on films I really enjoy and on films where it will make a difference. Like Apocalypse Now. HDR really helps the presentation.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Steen71 posted:

That Blade Runner bluray is still a reference quality disc over a decade later. They used the same source scan for the UHD. Any improvements are due solely to the resolution bump.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

This is all I've got, taken from the horror thread:

I just wanted the original movie in not 5th generation VHS quality. I've dragged my feet on it for the last few years but the director was (/is?) selling it on DVD through his website. If anyone here picks it up let me know.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anyone really dog on the older Dawn Blu-ray, so much as people just can't get the drat thing. It also looks a little raw when you compare it to the DVD version most of us had, given it only has one cut of the movie and no features, whereas this one covers all the same ground as that box.

I guess as much as i'm pedantic about stuff like the title of the UFO Abduction, I just don't care about stuff like this. I consider it superflous and unless the alternate versions are a Blade Runner type thing where studio meddling prevented the maker's true vision I can't be bothered with what I see as a novelty release. Romero outright said that the version of the movie which is on the old blu-ray is his the definitive version of the movie (I think it's the original theatrical version of the film). I always find that "unrated extended cuts!" are just versions of the movie with a bunch of the filler that was removed because it ruins the pacing. Admittedly I haven't seen the longer cuts but from what I hear they're exactly that. And I don't have any interest in the Argento version because what I've heard about makes it sound like I would hate it. I'm okay to have barebones releases as long as the movie is presented well and not like the notorious Predator blu-ray or something. Because ultimately you don't have an infinite amount of time and there are just too many movies to see.

fake edit: If I'm wrong about the alternate versions of the movie I'd like to know and specifically what is it that makes them worth seeing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Considering the Argento cut is the version of the film every non English speaking country is most familiar with, there's no way you can have a definitive release of Dawn without it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

I just wanted the original movie in not 5th generation VHS quality. I've dragged my feet on it for the last few years but the director was (/is?) selling it on DVD through his website. If anyone here picks it up let me know.

I guess as much as i'm pedantic about stuff like the title of the UFO Abduction, I just don't care about stuff like this. I consider it superflous and unless the alternate versions are a Blade Runner type thing where studio meddling prevented the maker's true vision I can't be bothered with what I see as a novelty release. Romero outright said that the version of the movie which is on the old blu-ray is his the definitive version of the movie (I think it's the original theatrical version of the film). I always find that "unrated extended cuts!" are just versions of the movie with a bunch of the filler that was removed because it ruins the pacing. Admittedly I haven't seen the longer cuts but from what I hear they're exactly that. And I don't have any interest in the Argento version because what I've heard about makes it sound like I would hate it. I'm okay to have barebones releases as long as the movie is presented well and not like the notorious Predator blu-ray or something. Because ultimately you don't have an infinite amount of time and there are just too many movies to see.

fake edit: If I'm wrong about the alternate versions of the movie I'd like to know and specifically what is it that makes them worth seeing.

You're right that the longer version isn't worth it, but the Argento cut is fun, and worth having.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Well, this is really the main point of the whole thing, which you're kinda glossing over. Sure, if a movie had a fantastic reference quality blu ray release already, there's a good chance you're not gonna notice much of a difference between that and a UHD. But that's what makes a lot of the best UHDs worth it, you're upgrading from like a 10-12 year old blu ray that was already flawed and mediocre when it came out.

In my experience people go nuts over UHDs of movies that are already reference quality on BD - both here and elsewhere. Like they're going to be watching Lawrence of Arabia with their face pressed up against their TVs.

Origami Dali posted:

That Blade Runner bluray is still a reference quality disc over a decade later. They used the same source scan for the UHD. Any improvements are due solely to the resolution bump.

Let's compare the two at BD resolution: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/2812
The Final Cut on the BD always suffered from some pretty obvious noise reduction. Strangely the theatrical cut looked a lot better.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's getting scarce, but the UK 4-disc UHD limited edition of Blade Runner is the one to have. It's basically the 3-disc digibook reissue plus the UHD. All five cuts in 1080p plus the Final Cut in UHD, all the supplements plus a new one on the different versions. Packaged in a nice thick slipcase like Arrow and Indicator limited editions.

Probably just getting the Rudy Ray Moore films from VinSyn, but Kino has a big Memorial Day sale going on with plenty of great stuff (plus an ongoing "while supplies last" sale):
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/memorial-day-sale-2020?fbclid=IwAR0YOSG5FbXazPOLaQN5zltwJ9pi6mYSb5StpqvZ63gbyE-iUHTtvseCcnI

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think I'm going UHD for that Dawn of the Dead release and the forthcoming Martin release. I'm too afraid they'll never do a region A blu and UHD seems like it's region-free for everything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I got my Arrow set of Solid Metal Nightmares today. Great set but one thing still bothers me: Does anyone know why Tetsuo 3 isn't in this thing?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vince MechMahon posted:

So I got my Arrow set of Solid Metal Nightmares today. Great set but one thing still bothers me: Does anyone know why Tetsuo 3 isn't in this thing?

it was a USA-Japan coproduction so the rights situation for it might be a little wonky. at any rate, you're not missing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

It's getting scarce, but the UK 4-disc UHD limited edition of Blade Runner is the one to have. It's basically the 3-disc digibook reissue plus the UHD. All five cuts in 1080p plus the Final Cut in UHD, all the supplements plus a new one on the different versions. Packaged in a nice thick slipcase like Arrow and Indicator limited editions.

I need to look for this thing. I’ve got the UHD final cut and the 5 disc blu-ray set. That’s probably enough but these extra supplements. Hmm.