Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
So 2 weeks ago I bought an Asus DUAL-RTX2070S-O8G-EVO

Last night it seemingly croaked mid game, tried 2 different PSUs and the system cannot even start to boot with it plugged in, yet works fine with my old 970.

Trying to start the RMA process I get told my SN (UNDEFINED) already has an RMA number (UNDEFINED)

Great start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gilljoy posted:

Any word on new cards from nvidia or Amd yet? I’m looking to upgrade my 1070 but I’m not sure what to get or if I should wait
Yeah supposedly something might come out this fall. I'm also on a 1070 and I'd definitely wait, so far anything that's a worthwhile upgrade (i.e. 2070 Super) still costs silly money

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CDW posted:

Last night it seemingly croaked mid game, tried 2 different PSUs and the system cannot even start to boot with it plugged in, yet works fine with my old 970.

Trying to start the RMA process I get told my SN (UNDEFINED) already has an RMA number (UNDEFINED)

Great start.

At only 2 weeks old, can you not take it back to the store? ASUS makes decent hardware, but their customer service / RMA process has always sucked.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't buy AMD cards, that is all.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Ah yes, the famously AMD card you should avoid: geforce rtx 2070 super

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CDW posted:

Great start.

As another poster said, you should see if you can return it to where you bought it if you live in the US. RMA's for ASUS are handled by a separate distribution company in the US and they are pretty notorious for making things as difficult as possible.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Did you buy it second hand or third party seller? Sounds like someone had a bad card, started RMA, then got it working long enough to sell.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lDDQD posted:

Ah yes, the famously AMD card you should avoid: geforce rtx 2070 super

Oh here I thought he was posting about my 2700xt

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oh here I thought he was posting about my 2700xt

its ok i could tell your post came from the heart

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Are any RTX 2700 Super variants particularly quiet?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Are any RTX 2700 Super variants particularly quiet?

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x-trio/31.html

note it's 328mm long, check if it will actually fit in your case (it wouldn't in mine lol)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mistikman posted:

Ideally my computer will have no extraneous lights, and make little to no sound.

I have tinnitus pretty bad so fan noise is actually a perk for me, I usually sleep with a fan on anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mistikman posted:

Ideally my computer will have no extraneous lights, and make little to no sound.

I disabled the LEDs on my mouse and headset and I refuse to buy a case with a side window. No RGB allowed.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm open to dimmable bias lighting because it's functional. Cosmetic RGB is immoral, and heathens must be purged.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

rgb is good if only because it makes people who are v serious about their computoys mad

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's a nightlight for millennial safe space

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I think SFF is the way to go for RGB haters, tempered glass windows are less of a priority as that space is needed for ventilation so most (but not all!) builds have all glowing LEDs sequestered away behind panels

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Don't buy AMD cards, that is all.

Wrong card but fundamentally solid advice

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My 2070 Super was supposed to arrive today, and instead I got a notice my order has been delayed, was not shipped, and they didn't even provide an estimated delivery date. Trying to contact Best Buy has been a massive pain in the rear end since I actually work, and their customer service is 8am to 9pm CST while I'm in PST, but seemed to call it quits early today. It's particularly galling because they now show two different 2070 Supers in stock, either of which I would be happy to take if they got here faster, and if they can't expedite things then refund my loving money and I can grab one from NewEgg, which ALSO has cards in stock for the first time in a week.

I can't afford to float the money to order a second card in case Best Buy dicks me around on a refund, so am just generally pissed. I'd ordered this card so it would be here for my birthday, but at this point that ain't gonna happen.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That sucks :(

--

Does anyone have an idea if nvidia gpus can input hdmi from a camera? I have a video camera which outputs video via hdmi cable. I would like to use it as a webcam instead of buying more cameras.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

--

Does anyone have an idea if nvidia gpus can input hdmi from a camera? I have a video camera which outputs video via hdmi cable. I would like to use it as a webcam instead of buying more cameras.
You might need an Elgato Cam Link I think. But see what their website and discussions about it say.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i feel like using an old cellphone would probably be easier but thats just a guess

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

i feel like using an old cellphone would probably be easier but thats just a guess
A lot of phones aren't really made to record for *that* long, and a lot of cameras can't handle the sustained heat either. A video camera will probably be fine, but I'd only use phones for recordings.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hmm ok :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ufarn posted:

A lot of phones aren't really made to record for *that* long, and a lot of cameras can't handle the sustained heat either. A video camera will probably be fine, but I'd only use phones for recordings.

I’ve done multi-hour video conferences on phones before, with no ill effects. What have you observed to be the issue?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ufarn posted:

The limit is largely arbitrary and simply there to dodge a European tariff of 12.5~15% on video cameras.
If heat was still the issue, they wouldn't allow you to hit record immediately after the last one stopped.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's 2020. Why aren't you just screen capturing a third person shot of your VRChat avatar to attend your meetings?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve done multi-hour video conferences on phones before, with no ill effects. What have you observed to be the issue?

I had the battery blow up on two phones I was using as 24/7 door cameras. It physically destroyed both phones, they really aren't designed to be left plugged into a charger for too long.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Geemer posted:

The limit is largely arbitrary and simply there to dodge a European tariff of 12.5~15% on video cameras.
If heat was still the issue, they wouldn't allow you to hit record immediately after the last one stopped.

With phones, it's to avoid additional MPEG LA licensing fees, not tariffs. There are no tariffs on smartphones, and they'd still be smartphones and not video cameras even without recording breaks.

Some photo cameras that allow for continuous recording to a PC, for streaming for example, do sometimes exhibit overheating problems. It's not uncommon. But no clue whether that happens with smartphone cameras as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enos Cabell posted:

I had the battery blow up on two phones I was using as 24/7 door cameras. It physically destroyed both phones, they really aren't designed to be left plugged into a charger for too long.

Yikes. I’ve left phones plugged into chargers for literal weeks, and they seemed fine. Lucky, I guess!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
RGB super computer. I hope those Nvidia A100 modules have RGB. Depending on the load the RBG should strobe faster.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My 2070 Super was supposed to arrive today, and instead I got a notice my order has been delayed, was not shipped, and they didn't even provide an estimated delivery date. Trying to contact Best Buy has been a massive pain in the rear end since I actually work, and their customer service is 8am to 9pm CST while I'm in PST, but seemed to call it quits early today. It's particularly galling because they now show two different 2070 Supers in stock, either of which I would be happy to take if they got here faster, and if they can't expedite things then refund my loving money and I can grab one from NewEgg, which ALSO has cards in stock for the first time in a week.

I can't afford to float the money to order a second card in case Best Buy dicks me around on a refund, so am just generally pissed. I'd ordered this card so it would be here for my birthday, but at this point that ain't gonna happen.

Check your bank and see if you’ve been charged. My buddy got charged and an “order delayed” text. Him and I went to the Best Buy in question and they said their systems are all weird with everything going on, and his delayed PSU was likely in the store from a early morning truck shipment. A few hours later they had it ready for him to pick up. Anecdotal, but maybe you’re getting the same incorrect messaging too.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Subjunctive posted:

Yikes. I’ve left phones plugged into chargers for literal weeks, and they seemed fine. Lucky, I guess!

A lot of newer phones are able to effectively disconnect the charger if they're left on there doing nothing for a bit, precisely to help avoid such issues. But if you're leaving it running the camera or other device that actually draws power...yeah. They're not designed for 24/7 use like that.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Ihmemies posted:

--

You can't input the HDMI into your video card, but there are various other ways to use your digital camera as a webcam that depend entirely on the specific camera you're talking about.

Canon, for example, has their own software that lets you capture a live feed from (almost) any of their EOS cameras over the USB connection, but won't work for many of their digital camcorders that shut off the love view once USB is connected.

Easiest way to find out is to type your camera model + "webcam" into Google/YouTube. If it can be done, someone's already done it and made a video about how to do it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also, to not completely discourage people from the use of their phone for projects that don't involve six hours of streaming, there are free iOS apps to stream your footage to a receiver.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

I was using an old Nexus 4 as a webcam/security cam and the heat and stress on the battery caused the battery to swell and pop the back off the phone. Had to leave the phone in the garden until I could get tools to get the battery out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah I'd guess it was after 3-4 months of 24/7 usage. I noticed the camera feed stopped working on one of them, went to check and the battery had swollen to almost twice its original size. Case broken, screen shattered, the works. Checked the other phone, and it was still working and transmitting video, but was also bulging at the seams with a cracked screen. After that I make sure to take my phones off the charger once they're full.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's fine to leave phones on the charger (if you're going to charge them to 100% to begin with, you aren't hurting anything by keeping them there), but putting a load on while a device is on a charger can potentially cause issues depending on how it's designed. It SHOULD be fine just sucking power from the charger and ignoring the battery, but should and is aren't always the same.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You know there's older galaxy phones that will run on the charger while the battery is removed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just did the web cam from DSLR thing... My Lumix can connect via WiFi, but it's a low quality stream. You need an HDMI capture card. As far as I can tell, there are three types. Ones in eBay with limited capabilities 1080p@30 fps for 16$, old used full frame 1080p ones for a hundred dollars, and very expensive 4k versions. I ordered a cheap junk one, they get mixed to bad reviews, but we'll see.