Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DrVenkman posted:

Is that true? You wouldn't think sitting down and playing old games could ruin a friendship.

You say that and yet I can think of 2 big lets play channels featuring people who are no longer friends. (Game Grumps and Super Best Friends)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DrVenkman posted:

Is that true? You wouldn't think sitting down and playing old games could ruin a friendship.

Kibayasu posted:

Did something happen? I just assumed there hadn’t been any formal episodes because of the quarantine stuff.

Troy left Retro Replay late last month quite abruptly. Nolan's been very diplomatic about it so far claiming it was creative differences over what he and Troy wanted RR to be and become, and after a brief period of putting out obvious stopgap filler videos while they figured out what to do, seems to have returned to putting out regular RR content with Troy completely memory holed now.

The only word Troy has had on it, to my knowledge, was when someone asking him about why he left in the immediate aftermath of the departure announcement. His only comment was that things between him and Nolan were "not good."

So you can take all of that for what you will.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

You say that and yet I can think of 2 big lets play channels featuring people who are no longer friends. (Game Grumps and Super Best Friends)

Hopefully neither Troy nor Nolan is a white supremacist, or anything like Pat.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

sexpig by night posted:

on some level I feel bad for them because the core concept of 'look having a kid that's different is hard for a parent too and we need support too' is super valid.

But yea, AS' take of 'so don't you just wish the little freak would just be normal already???' is fuckin evil. It's like if PFLAG got super into conversion therapy because having a queer kid is scary or something.
Iirc, the guy behind aba was also into conversion therapy research

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-P2aN3-b4

a nice video

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jamie Faith posted:

Wait did danny and Erin have a falling out? I havent seen a single frame of a GG video since like...2016.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait did danny and Erin have a falling out? I havent seen a single frame of a GG video since like...2016.

jontron

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Troy left Retro Replay late last month quite abruptly. Nolan's been very diplomatic about it so far claiming it was creative differences over what he and Troy wanted RR to be and become, and after a brief period of putting out obvious stopgap filler videos while they figured out what to do, seems to have returned to putting out regular RR content with Troy completely memory holed now.

The only word Troy has had on it, to my knowledge, was when someone asking him about why he left in the immediate aftermath of the departure announcement. His only comment was that things between him and Nolan were "not good."

So you can take all of that for what you will.

Apparently Troy is going to start his own channel so it'll be interesting to see what he wanted to do there he couldn't on RR. That still really sucks, though. It's hard to imagine such a wedge between them but people have split more for less.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, what?

https://twitter.com/animenewsnet/status/1263804321927507969?s=21

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macaluso posted:

There's a lot about the GoT ending to hate but I never really understood the disappointment about Daenerys just burning everything and not like becoming good I guess?? Like, she was always gonna do that, she was always crazy, and I was glad that's where her character ended up. I didn't want good regal queen Daenerys, I wanted crazy burn it all Daenerys and that's what they did. I was satisfied with that.

They definitely made Tyrion super stupid for no real reason though. Like, Daenerys is a nutcase like her dad, you didn't need to make Tyrion dumb to not have her listen to him.

The show cut out the character that would've made her actions make sense.

Bran sucks but that's on GRRM.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

wtf

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, this was a shock. His last tweet was only on the 9th of this month. That could certainly explain Jacob Chapman's earlier tweet.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My favorite bit from Retro Replay (well there are a lot of them) is when Nolan North broke their TV by joke throwing the controller at it. Got the rad TLC Series 6 out of it, though!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

It's so surreal. I've seen on twitter that a couple of ANN staff members were grieving but I never would've imagined that it was him.

I haven't been listening much to ANNcast but his Eizouken reviews were great.

(also lol at some dude in replies to this tweet calling Zac 'a hate spreader' or sth because he criticised Shield Hero. loving garbage)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i listed a ton to the podcast, especially when jake co-hosted it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

macabresca posted:

It's so surreal. I've seen on twitter that a couple of ANN staff members were grieving but I never would've imagined that it was him.

Justin Sevakis had a Twitter thread about it and used unhappy words like depression and self-loathing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What the gently caress.

I've been listening to the ANNCast since nearly the beginning and kept up with it constantly throughout the years. I was worried when he stopped tweeting for awhile since he always kept a consistent presence online but I wasn't expecting this to happen.

I don't actually know how to process this because his podcast was something I've regularly been listening to for like a decade. This is awful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

On the other end of that, Armored Core 3 and Silent Line explore what happens when that All Knowing, All Controlling AI inevitably breaks down through hardware or software failure and how hosed the society that reveres it as a god would be as it slowly realizes it’s god has gone insane.

See also Phantasy Star 2.

Classic, really ahead of its time.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zac used to post pictures of his cat Boston here on SA, I recognized that cute cat on twitter and realized he was a goon at some point

God drat this loving sucks

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I have no idea who this guy is, but if he liked cats he must have been a good person, RIP.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't really follow ANN much so not sure I've ever read/heard his stuff, but he sounds like a nice guy who was a good friend to a lot of people. Sorry to hear about him.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I don't know who Bertschy was, but he seems far too young to have died recently. Rest in peace.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I have no idea who this guy is, but if he liked cats he must have been a good person, RIP.

He was the executive editor (head of the newsroom and feature/review sections) of Anime News Network, generally considered the biggest and most influential English language anime news site. He was one of the most influential names in Western anime journalism, and responsible for giving dozens of young anime journalists and reviewers their head start. He was also progressive on feminist and LGBT issues, and gave a fair amount of platform to folks from marginalised groups in mainstream anime journalism (insofar as such a thing can be mainstream).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Haven't followed ANN for a while now, but I recognize Zac from some of the various articles I read on the site. This is really sad to see.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dabir posted:

Hopefully neither Troy nor Nolan is a white supremacist, or anything like Pat.
I know you're talking about jontron but it could be read as pat is a white supremacist.

he's a massive, huge, gigantic, colossal, unmitigated rear end in a top hat with severe mind goblins, but he's not a bigot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

He was the executive editor (head of the newsroom and feature/review sections) of Anime News Network, generally considered the biggest and most influential English language anime news site. He was one of the most influential names in Western anime journalism, and responsible for giving dozens of young anime journalists and reviewers their head start. He was also progressive on feminist and LGBT issues, and gave a fair amount of platform to folks from marginalised groups in mainstream anime journalism (insofar as such a thing can be mainstream).

I really appreciated that he was the sort of person that would be willing to give complete randos a shot. Paid writing gigs are definitely hard to break in to in general nevermind something like anime that doesn't have that much to go around, so it was truly nice that he would be willing to look at writing samples from people with zero credentials.

Hell I remember a few instance over the years in which some folks who outright hated him said they could do better than the reviews he published. And so he gave them a chance to try to prove it, haha.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Ahh, okay. I do visit ANN occasionally but only to look at their preview guide for each new season's shows, so I don't think I would've seen his name around there.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I know you're talking about jontron but it could be read as pat is a white supremacist.

he's a massive, huge, gigantic, colossal, unmitigated rear end in a top hat with severe mind goblins, but he's not a bigot.
Yeah, he's not prejudiced, he's just a late-season sitcom character but in real life.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Invictus posted:

Huh, I can believe that about Pat, but the one I heard bad thing about from a friend who met him in real life is Liam for some reason.

My friend has a habit of weird vendettas so :shrug:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The SBF breakup seemed to be entirely interpersonal conflicts and business issues, rather than the disturbingly common "someone is a monster". Pat seems to be the increasingly rare breed of "neutral rear end in a top hat". Which is sadly a step up from a lot of other personalities online.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah no for sure Pat isn't a hateful person, was trying to avoid implying that, he's just difficult.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Pat not awful politically, he just has OCD issues and evidently can't pick up on when he's bugging people well beyond their tolerance all the time, so he ends up emotionally draining to nearly everyone besides Woolie, his girlfriend/sister/x-chromosome-swapped-clone, and her cat. He's funny to watch on camera but then you realize he's not playing anything up and you get why people need space from him.

Anyway all the ex-SBFs seem happy with their solo stuff now, so that's nice.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I can't believe he's gone... I'm so fuckin sad over Zac....T.T I can't imagine how Jacob is feeling right now. Rest in peace you sexy genius.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1263873782655209472

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pat not awful politically, he just has OCD issues and evidently can't pick up on when he's bugging people well beyond their tolerance all the time, so he ends up emotionally draining to nearly everyone besides Woolie, his girlfriend/sister/x-chromosome-swapped-clone, and her cat. He's funny to watch on camera but then you realize he's not playing anything up and you get why people need space from him.

Anyway all the ex-SBFs seem happy with their solo stuff now, so that's nice.

That whole Darth Vader thing recently seemed like a good example of why Matt and Liam left.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Funny enough Jon was really only on the show for about a year. Danny has been the co-host for six years now. And even when Arin and Jon reconnected and they started to mention him again, Jon went and said all that dumb poo poo he said. So Arin doesn't even bring him up at all anymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he can't let things go and has issues with just LETTING PEOPLE ENJOY THING and it's incredibly grating, I get that. he's also really fun to watch a lot of the time and had some incredible chemistry with the guys in SBF and on the podcast, and it's a goddamn shame that his mind goblins prevent him from dialing it back a bit.

like his solo channel is relative fantastic(I especially enjoyed his FF7R playthrough) his banter with his basically-wife Paige is adorable, his cat is a screaming trainwreck of a being, and I just wish things hadn't gone so awry with the group as a whole.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Isn't Paige pals with Carl of Swindon?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Macaluso posted:

Funny enough Jon was really only on the show for about a year. Danny has been the co-host for six years now. And even when Arin and Jon reconnected and they started to mention him again, Jon went and said all that dumb poo poo he said. So Arin doesn't even bring him up at all anymore.

It's always funny when someone on twitter is whining that Danny era grumps sucks and they want Jon back and then you go to their profile and 10 times out of 10 they're some dumbass chud.

JT era sucked. Jon's idea of """"humor"""" was just screaming, saying slurs, and screaming slurs. Even when we all thought it was """just a joke""" it wasn't funny. But now that we know those are Jon's sincere beliefs... :yikes:

Danny is so charming and sweet and always has really funny stories to tell (like the time the creator of Archer kicked him in the dick lmao) and has great comedic banter with Arin. The Danny era IS Game Grumps as far as I'm concerned. The Jon era is just a weird prototype for the show which is best left forgotten lol

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jamie Faith posted:

It's always funny when someone on twitter is whining that Danny era grumps sucks and they want Jon back and then you go to their profile and 10 times out of 10 they're some dumbass chud.

JT era sucked. Jon's idea of """"humor"""" was just screaming, saying slurs, and screaming slurs. Even when we all thought it was """just a joke""" it wasn't funny. But now that we know those are Jon's sincere beliefs... :yikes:

Danny is so charming and sweet and always has really funny stories to tell (like the time the creator of Archer kicked him in the dick lmao) and has great comedic banter with Arin. The Danny era IS Game Grumps as far as I'm concerned. The Jon era is just a weird prototype for the show which is best left forgotten lol

A big part of their deal is that they seem to take their growth as performers and comedians really seriously and take acting and writing classes together. They are professionals about being a comedy duo, and you can really see their work pay off. I think they said they went to dialect coaching to work on their funny voices. I feel like Jontron would call that gay and yell that nobody should do it.