Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Modifying any part of a referendum after it has already been submitted to the general population is a breach of several gamer laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
The electoral college will not remove join them from my voting heart.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

CubeTheory posted:

There was just a loud explosion outside my house and now my internet is down. What a horrible night to have a curse.

Ahhhh, 8 hours later I wake up and still no internet, we're doomed we're all dooomed aaahhhhh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If there's no internet, how are you posting?

Checkmate mate

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Infinitum posted:

If there's no internet, how are you posting?

Checkmate mate

How could you do this to me at a time like this

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

CubeTheory posted:

How could you do this to me at a time like this

Yeah, phone internet isn't the same thing as regular internet. unless you get that 5G, but that will give you super morgellons and then brainwash you to serve the Chinese Communist Party which is a bit much, imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this thread's poll is starting to unnerve me, somewhat

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

this thread's poll is starting to unnerve me, somewhat

HELLO

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
VG I was drinking some lapsang souchong yesterday and was thinking of you

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Future Kirby scares me a little.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How’s the new terraria stuff? Haven’t touched it in years

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Is Blades in the Dark still the current tabletop indie darling or is there a new hotness

I still think it's the hottest poo poo around but it's also a very specific system made for a very specific kind of game (playing a gang of thieves, assassins, smugglers, or other such scoundrels in a setting heavily inspired by Dishonored and The Lies of Locke Lamora). There are other games based on Blades in the Dark's core system, which they call Forged in the Dark, but I haven't tried any of them myself yet.

Really I'm just a fan of systems that are designed for specific kinds of games and so can support those really well, rather than systems that are intended to be generic and used for a variety of game types. I love things like Fellowship for that reason, too.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

This is cool as heck, I want to see more startup sequences.

Here's a different take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlXDz-D5oa0

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I like Blades in the Dark because I feel like I'm adventuring in New Crobuzon. I need to bump up China Mieville in my book queue. I'm due for another of his.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

How’s the new terraria stuff? Haven’t touched it in years

haven't played it yet but journey mode alone sounds incredible if you just wanna build, lots of world customization options down to controlling enemy spawn rates and biome spread, you start with some convenience equipment, and you can duplicate stuff

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://twitter.com/MisterNasty_/status/1263242927209213957

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pekora is a real rabbit, from pekoland

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like pakora

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

But despite that, why would you pay 40 bucks for Fantasy Grounds when Roll20 is right fuckin' there

Roll20 sucks huge poo poo? Someone in my DnD group just uses Illustrator to do Roll20s job since it works better. Our DM has us use it sometimes and its somehow worse than dry erase markers scribbled onto a generic grid on a table

Online DnD in general loving sucks. It's like, all of the hassle and tedium of DnD, without any of the fun stuff that makes it a fun and enjoyable social experience. Sucks too because our DM is trying his hardest and comnig up with some stuff that would be fun to engage with but idk I just cannot get into DnD while im in some business meeting software over webcams

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 22, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

roll20 seems great to me although it seems to have a lot of lag issues for something that ostensibly isn't that complex

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also that's a loving good avatar VG

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Khanstant posted:

Roll20 sucks huge poo poo? Someone in my DnD group just uses Illustrator to do Roll20s job since it works better. Our DM has us use it sometimes and its somehow worse than dry erase markers scribbled onto a generic grid on a table

Online DnD in general loving sucks. It's like, all of the hassle and tedium of DnD, without any of the fun stuff that makes it a fun and enjoyable social experience. Sucks too because our DM is trying his hardest and comnig up with some stuff that would be fun to engage with but idk I just cannot get into DnD while im in some business meeting software over webcams

Roll20 is fine, but with the caveat you have to have someone willing to spend dozens of hours learning how to use the drat thing.

A lot of fiction-first and narrative driven RPG work better for online play. D&D, if you're running combat on actual grid maps, definitely can get bogged down online. The D&D online campaign I'm in is mostly just "be reasonable" with ranges and stuff to not have to worry about that.

My Roll20 setup for BitD is just various scenes and city maps for my players to have something to look at and scribble on and carve out their gang territory on and managing their character/crew/faction sheets in one centralized place. It also lets you do a lot of the dice rolling stuff right off your sheet (you get additional D6s for having pips in stats, and there are conditional things called position and effect that have narrative set-up and consequence to what your roll is going to be able to do). All of the action-oriented stuff is entirely discussion focused (outside of rolls, there isn't a grid or anything) though, which kind of eases the difficult of running online.

I'm sorry your online game stinks. :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really loved our game, it's some friends-coworkers and we used to just stay late and play at the shop on the big round table. It's not a big combat/mechanic heavy group, some folks first DnD games (several of them have since started/joined side games since). Most of our stuff and fun is us goofing and trying to solve problems and shenanigans. I constantly drew our adventures as we played because it was a lot of fun and my unmedicated ADHD rear end can't pay attention unless I occupy my hands with something I can do "automatically." I miss side-chatter and derailing gameplay with tangents or waiting for the DM to mention a yeti's "Chilling Gaze" so I can hold up my illustration of the "Yeti and his chilling Gays."

Before the Quarantine we had just gotten out of this spooky "meat-pies" carriage, that had this closet that lead to some kind of extradimensional space. It ended up being this kind of demon's place to torture wanted criminals or sometimes people who were just rude once or whatever. Anyway, long dungeon short - it was kind of like The Platform in the end. Once the Quarr hit and we switched to online, we've moved into trying to get this fuckin wizard to help us do a thing to get this Storm Giant's attention because we need his help with our you know, overarching mission thing. I used to know all their names, but it's just so hard to be engaged and pay attention online. We're basically trying to Inception this wizard to get him off lady nandar's case, even though all our zentarim party members quit or are leaving the organization. But when we play, i'm basically waiting for my turn so i can say roll my blas blas add a smite reroll my 1s and 2s thanks is it dead no then okay i attack again.

just cant wait to play this again IRL with my group. id have quit a couple weeks into quarantine if i didnt already know how fun its supposed to be

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I basically use roll20 as a dice roller with a grid that I can draw stuff and move units on. Doing anything more feels like way more work for little benefit.

Playing online doesn't feel that much different from in-person playing either for me

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

also that's a loving good avatar VG

Thank you :) Squizzle found a load of cool old 50s pulp covers and I asked if there was anything Kirby like. Struck gold! :D

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TUCA AND BERTIE IS UNCANCELLED

this shithole year is saved

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
King's Field Additional I status: Beaten

Game was an alright dungeon crawling romp, had a good time with it overall even though it was nothing especially groundbreaking. Kind of surprisingly easy-ish which is not something I expected from the combination of words "From Software dungeon crawler". I did resort to an online map in the latter half for some rough directions, though that only really saved time and probably even left me a bit underleveled. Will most likely play II at some point, though I think it's pretty much a second serving of the same game so definitely not right away.

2006... I feel you'll go on to do some pretty cool stuff one day soon. :unsmith:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 22, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doog

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Showed my wife the Katamari Damacy remaster on Steam and she told me that she misses "the good old days" when she could sit on the couch and watch me play video games, so I guess I need to buy a Steam Lync or whatever it's called now :unsmith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

please do not doxx me like this

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The 7th Guest posted:

TUCA AND BERTIE IS UNCANCELLED

this shithole year is saved

hell yeah

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Gonna try and finish Bravely Default and Midnight Cinderella

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I’m playing Assassin’s Creed Origins and I’m absolutely amazed at how everyone so far is using the magical artifact of infinite power as an improvised blunt weapon

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

in my quest to find what I want to play, I'm starting NieR Automata for the first time since I beat it

it's so cool...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stux posted:

its a controversial opinion but if everyone who liked star wars had to live on the moon can we really say the earth would be worse off?

The food supply chain would collapse so that might make it difficult for the 4 people left on earth.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah the global south that makes all the worlds food and are dirt poor are all really into star wars

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stux posted:

yeah the global south that makes all the worlds food and are dirt poor are all really into star wars

They are.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hey games thread, let's talk about games.

Help me decide what to play and beat next since I have ADD and never finish games.

FFIV DS
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
FE Fates: Birthright and Conquest Iron Man
FE Echoes no Turnwheel Iron Man
Dragon Quest XI
FF X and X-2
Fire Emblem Warriors Story Mode

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ironman isn't really a fun way to play FE so not those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Those are all really long games, maybe try something shorter? Like disco Elysium