Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Imagine what Historic will look like after M21 drops. Teferi tribal here we come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Mono B looks pretty sick in Historic, not gonna lie.

I'm still gravitating to trying to make Historic Humans happen. Hoping there's a shell that features Meddling Mage, Thalia, and Kitesail Freebooter that disrupts just enough to sneak in 20 damage just across the finish line.

Mengucci’s build with the Ooze companion is great.

Print Vial and Thalia’s Lieutenant in historic WotC!!!

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

GrandpaPants posted:

Can you post the list?
Here you go: https://mtgazone.com/deck/azorius-flyers-historic-artisan/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Shame on all of you who didn't use this FNM as an excuse to play Tetsuko + Rat Colony. Rat Girl rides again!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So I'm grinding Standard against some random shitfucker. I play Uro from my hand with seven lands and two cards in the yard, and he counters with Didn't Say Please.

Yeeeeeah.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Gynovore posted:

So I'm grinding Standard against some random shitfucker. I play Uro from my hand with seven lands and two cards in the yard, and he counters with Didn't Say Please.

Yeeeeeah.

I love how some people think cards work better against Uro than they actually do. I played someone today who had maindeck Hushbringer, so they played it turn two and the following turn I had a 6/6 against their 1/2 flier and a Hunted Witness.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

InterrupterJones posted:

I love how some people think cards work better against Uro than they actually do. I played someone today who had maindeck Hushbringer, so they played it turn two and the following turn I had a 6/6 against their 1/2 flier and a Hunted Witness.

Hushbringer is still worth using at the moment but you have to have a plan for Uro and Kroxa. The deck I've got that uses it has Snapdax, Haemophage, Dirge Bat etc which combine to allow pretty easy takesdown of big things, and a tonne of lifegain to make back the early deficit.

It's not perfect but I'll take the occasional oops against relatively rare things to gently caress with Gyruda, Yorion, and Agent.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Death of Rats posted:

Does anyone have a list for this?

https://twitter.com/ZKiihne/status/1263693778621206528

Same guy! Shocking that he's not playing Selesnya still.

Recurring Stormtamers and Alseids is ridiculous and losing your Curious Obsession doesn't matter!

Also PSA for Reclamation players (fadam), apparently if you hit Q twice it auto taps all your mana now?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Been seeing Weaponize the Monsters pop up in some mono r Obosh lists and let me tell you it feels extremely unfair to be on the receiving end of that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

Also PSA for Reclamation players (fadam), apparently if you hit Q twice it auto taps all your mana now?
I believe he mentioned that but I didn't know the actual keystroke so thanks!

I've been playing this stupid aggro temur rec pile in the bottom of the ladder since I really should get to plat and man I dunno how people grind the ladder day after day.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fadam posted:

4x Gust 4x Dispute 2x Negate 2x Drake and 3x Triceratops that I’ve literally never brought in. They’re there for the match up against the highest IQ deck in any format ever, poverty mono-u, but everyone is either playing Caveman Gruul or some Yorion pile. I suspect I’ll probably replace them with Blink of an Eye or more Borrowers because 3cmc Teferi is a big problem.

Literally queued into a caveman the first game I played with your deck

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

Literally queued into a caveman the first game I played with your deck

A caveman playing Gruul, or a caveman playing mono-u, the highest IQ deck ever designed?

Eej posted:

My buddy told me about it this morning (after playing like 15 games with it yesterday lol), but good looking out, pimp.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They slammed a 5/4 Djinn into a fog three turns in a row before giving up game 1 and then just conceded the moment Ceratops hit the field in game 2

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

They slammed a 5/4 Djinn into a fog three turns in a row before giving up game 1 and then just conceded the moment Ceratops hit the field in game 2

God bless. Sometimes the good guys win :)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

fadam posted:

A caveman playing Gruul, or a caveman playing mono-u, the highest IQ deck ever designed?
I hope this meme outlives this thread, it kills me every time

Eej posted:

Lovely

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Anyone who plays an aggro deck in this format and succeeds has my respect. I dinked around with Mardu humans during my lunch break and found myself bouncing off of Yorion and Field decks non-stop. I ended up losing like 9 percentage points. Nexus or nuthin’ for now on.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

why would anyone play historic ranked? it seems like a cesspit of the least fun bullshit ever. I didn't like playing nexus or yorion in standard and they seem to have gotten worse to play and play against. I'll just stick with unranked with that Honden Dance of the Manse deck because 1 win with that is worth 100 losses because I just made someone lose against shrine tribal

Didn't that Kethis deck do well against nexus for a bit in standard? I wonder if that's still good at all if I feel like punishing people by playing the deck with the longest possible otk

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 22, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Obosh monored doesn’t have legs? I figured with chainwhirler and everything it might be powerful

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

why would anyone play historic ranked? it seems like a cesspit of the least fun bullshit ever. I didn't like playing nexus or yorion in standard and they seem to have gotten worse to play and play against. I'll just stick with unranked with that Honden Dance of the Manse deck because 1 win with that is worth 100 losses because I just made someone lose against shrine tribal

It’s the best constructed format right now because you can brew all sorts of bullshit and still win with it on ranked. If you are losing to something over and over brew a new deck, it’s wide open

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ugh my daily goal is to kill 25 creatures and I keep running into control. Another reason to hate control.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

Idk, but please don’t guillotine me for liking it :negative:

I think I like this standard more than most people, but the decks do all feel kind of samey and it’s kind of like Modern where a lot of the time you just sort of pass the turn and hope you don’t just instantly lose.

Historic has a lot of the same problems (although, I’ve yet to play against a Lurrus deck) but I like playing with the bigger card pool and it feels like a pretty broad variety of strategies are viable. It’s also fun seeing all the psycho HA poo poo like Ulamog and Unburial Rites and seeing how people integrate them into the Arena card pool to make functional decks.

I guess more broadly, I have the most fun playing MTG when I’m playing a powerful deck and there’s something, even if it’s as inconsequential as rank or store credit, on the line. Historic is more fun than Standard for me, so that’s why I play it.

Also, Time is right, it might just be the best format right now. I don’t play Legacy or Vintage, but Modern is completely hosed and Standard obviously has a ton of issues. Historic stands alone as the only good format left!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Obosh monored doesn’t have legs? I figured with chainwhirler and everything it might be powerful

It might be! I haven’t played it or against it on the ladder, though. I think the problem is you ideally want to win the turn you resolve Obosh, so you don’t get to milk max value out of the one sided Pyroclasm so idk how good Chainwhirler is there, but I guess a 6/3 first striker is pretty good too so idk. Give it a shot! There’s no league or tournament collation on Top8 or goldfish so the format is wide open!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Nah Brawl is still good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

>playing Brawl

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

this deck absolutely fucks
e: i blew up an azcanta with a ruinblaster, then the guy played a fresh search for azcanta and i nailed it with rec sage for the instant concession

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I kinda think you need more than a day of tinkering to declare "best format" but the brewing phase is the best part of any format, pardoning the post-modern horizons brewing phase of modern.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ugh my daily goal is to kill 25 creatures and I keep running into control. Another reason to hate control.
Eventually you hit a cat oven deck and while stabbing your eyes out with boredom that will finish it for you.

Or just play brawl and concede til you find an aggro deck?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I was practicing with mono black Lurrus. I ended up getting the goal but holy moly that sucked

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Elephant Ambush posted:

Make a BW deck with all the non-exile removal and board wipes, queue in unranked, concede to anyone not playing lots of creatures

e: and laugh when somebody actually concedes to your deck whose closest thing to a wincon is murderous rider

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 22, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just LMAO if you don’t reroll kill 25 creatures or play 25 lands every time

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t think I’ve ever rerolled a quest lol.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My favourite Historic decks right now are split between Mono W Lifegain (for the incredible board states it produces) and Simic Nexus. There's something magical about the purity of purpose in those decks.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I wish Historic Artisan would stick around for a month or so. I'm having a lot of fun in a format with an effective gobbos deck.

Deck
4 Fanatical Firebrand (RIX) 101
4 Skirk Prospector (DAR) 144
4 Gempalm Incinerator (LGN) 94
3 Ember Hauler (M20) 137
1 Goblin Cratermaker (GRN) 103
4 Goblin Instigator (M19) 142
4 Goblin Matron (MH1) 129
4 Goblin Ringleader (M20) 143
4 Goblin Warchief (DAR) 130
4 Heraldic Banner (ELD) 222
1 Volley Veteran (M19) 168
23 Mountain (ANA) 59

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Obosh Gruul and Yorion Golos are my two decks of choice for Historic, extremely cool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

UG Nexus is my favourite deck in the format and in a lot of ways is the most beautiful deck ever created, but I really like the Field shell that also runs Kenrith and Fires.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Just LMAO if you don’t reroll kill 25 creatures or play 25 lands every time

I reroll the 500 gold version but I'll never reroll a 750 gold quest. If you make the kill deck and queue into mono red a couple of times you can actually knock it out quite fast

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I just play the game and the quests eventually get done, unless it's a color quest.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Historic is really enjoyable right now. I’ve played about 10 games of ranked and they’ve all been against different decks. I’m currently playing gruul and humans and I’m actually enjoying magic

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hosed around in the play queue today practicing mono w lurrus auras. The deck performed a lot better than I expected for a budget build, which is great because I love putting Auras on creatures and turning them sideways (or not, if they're vigilant).

My winstreak was broken by an absolute abomination: Jeskai Fires/Spells with land destruction. I got the motherfucker to 1 before he dropped Teferi, bounced my last creature, and then God Pharaoh Statue, and suddenly I couldn't play any spells. I was in utter awe. I imagine that deck would play quite well against other fires and rec decks. If I keep seeing it though I'm not touching standard until Fires is banned

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Discounted Ikoria pack in daily deals today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I miss the heady days of people melting down about mono U. The good old days, you know?