Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Troubleshooter is a JRPG (technically KRPG?) with tactical battles in the XCOM format, developed by Korean studio Dandylion. It is currently a Steam Store Exclusive and the devs are true indie champions who are completely incompetent at marketing, but have successfuly added almost every subsystem in the turn-based genre to this gem.

The game follows Albus and his Troubleshooter Company as they set up business in the city of Valhalla - a young and unstable city-state created after the anime world war. Troubleshooters are essentially mercenary cops, as Valhalla is not allowed to have a military and the actual police are understaffed and corrupt. Most Troubleshooters aren’t the nice type either, but our boy Albus is very earnest and his company quickly expands with its own collection of misfits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW5_C9LIco
(old trailer, but it's what we have, remember when I said the devs were awful at marketing?)

Troubleshooter is structured around case missions, some are part of the main story, some are repeatable and others (violent cases) are optional challenges. Most missions are arrest operations, civilian rescue or retrieval, but it is not unusual for story missions to add their own twists to objectives. You will face off against criminal cartels, mercenaries, robots, magical beasts and a cult that worships spoons, possibly more before the game is over. It is very lengthy and as of this posting, I am not sure any goon has reached the end of the game, though Steam posts suggest it is 60-100 hours long depending on how thorough you are about collecting stuff and doing side-missions.

A caveat about translation, the game is way better translated than the store page and updates might make you think, but still has some cases of Engrish in the UI. It is being worked on by the studio and community, but if you get lost your fellow Something Awful Goons can help you. It is also exactly as anime as the screenshots might make you think.

Getting Started:

Don’t panic.

The game has a lot of systems which are gradually added into the game, some of which are introduced 50+ hours in, but you will get around to it one thing at a time. If you’ve come from a tactics game like Final Fantasy Tactics, XCOM or Fire Emblem, my recommendation is to start the game on hard, as the first cases are didactic to a fault, but the game will pick up on difficulty, including an extra challenging Cruel mode.

Apart from that, stay in cover, flank enemies, try to inflict debuffs on their guys. You will gradually get a handle on things. The game does have a lot of numbers and ways to customize your characters, but the primary subsystem to pay attention to is Masteries.

Masteries are your talents or perks, to use more common terminology. They do stuff that ranges from increasing your resistance to a specific type of damage to adding entirely new abilities. You get them as drops from enemies and also learn them from story events/achievements or levelling up your characters. You can research known masteries by using up other masteries and some training manuals and they can dramatically change the way you use a character in the field.

I am a bit leery of posting suggested builds here as it is part of the game to experiment with them and the campaign is very generous with the Training Manuals you use to respec, but if you feel lost, we are here for you.

This post will likely be expanded in the future.

Handy links:

Developer’s Site & Twitter
Store Page
Wiki
English Discord (very handy for build references!)

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I really like the game, and it's kinda fun your small team runs through 80+ people on certain missions.

The fact that deaths aren't permanent allows you to take more risks as well. It's pretty great.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

how similar is this to the old Front Mission series (before whatever sequel turned it into an action game)? it looks like it's got some strong FM3 vibes and i absolutely loved that old game to death when i was a teen

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

My personal recommendation is to play all the main story quests on safe difficulty just to unlock all the new characters ASAP (at least until you get used to the game and maybe unlocked a few of them), since you will mostly be doing side missions and grinding on normal/hard/cruel anyway. I’m not sure if they’ve fixed it, but there also used to be some enemies that wouldn’t show up on hard/cruel difficulty because they didn’t have epic or legendary versions and you wouldn’t be able to complete the Troublemaker list without going down in difficulty.

You can always go back and play a mission on a different difficulty once you figure out that what you want to be farming for might only drop from an enemy you can only see on a different difficulty.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ihatepants posted:

My personal recommendation is to play all the main story quests on safe difficulty just to unlock all the new characters ASAP (at least until you get used to the game and maybe unlocked a few of them), since you will mostly be doing side missions and grinding on normal/hard/cruel anyway. I’m not sure if they’ve fixed it, but there also used to be some enemies that wouldn’t show up on hard/cruel difficulty because they didn’t have epic or legendary versions and you wouldn’t be able to complete the Troublemaker list without going down in difficulty.

You can always go back and play a mission on a different difficulty once you figure out that what you want to be farming for might only drop from an enemy you can only see on a different difficulty.

Ehh, I'd say start on normal difficulty, it starts really easy - as long as you aren't doing stupid moves you can beat missions easily, at least until you get Irene.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ehh, I'd say start on normal difficulty, it starts really easy - as long as you aren't doing stupid moves you can beat missions easily, at least until you get Irene.

Yeah, I mainly suggest safe if someone wants to unlock stuff right away, because the enemy health is only at 75% and you don’t have elites to worry about.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Cool to see a thread about this game, it's a pretty neat sj(k?)rpg thing.

Couple of points (some of which were mentioned in the main thread):

1. The translation is extremely spotty; they've hired some more helpers with this but Dandylion is a pretty small studio (and was running a bit low on money close to release) so I don't think it will improve a lot anytime soon.
2. There are so many systems it's easy to get overwhelmed; it can also lead to a bunch of busywork (although they did add some qol stuff like crafting more than one mastery at a time); I think some of the systems could be streamlined a bit but it's probably too late for that.
3. Some missions are really, really long as in like 70-80+ enemies and there's no skip enemy turn button or something so missions can sometimes take 1-2 hours. You can save and come back later though.
4. The story is actually pretty decent but pov jumps around quite a bit so it can be confusing sometimes (also because of the spotty translation too)
5. If you need training manuals if you finish the current storyline you get 1000, and recently they gave out another 2400 (although I'm not sure if you'll get those if you buy now I guess?)
6. Next set of story stuff is planned for Q3 but there's quite a lot of content for $25.
7. The online system is kind of tacked on but it's not a big deal.
8. It's not kept up to date anymore but https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1349483727 is a reasonably good guide to mastery sets available. In general the Steam guides are okay.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 22, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's no enemy skip button, but you have settings for both your team and enemy turns going Normal-Fast-Super Fast

Super fast might as well be a skip enemy function. It is blazing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Good to have a thread!

RoyalScion posted:

5. If you need training manuals if you finish the current storyline you get 1000, and recently they gave out another 2400 (although I'm not sure if you'll get those if you buy now I guess?)

So how necessary to hoard/be careful with are these? I've put the game aside pretty early on, but it'll be good to know for when I get back to it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

v1ld posted:

Good to have a thread!

So how necessary to hoard/be careful with are these? I've put the game aside pretty early on, but it'll be good to know for when I get back to it.

You can buy them for money and you get a lot just from doing the story missions and opening the in-game e-mail, use away. You can buy more if you need them.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You can also convert unused masteries to training manuals (which I didn't learn for a long time).

They are a bit pricey to buy and you do need 50 per class unlock for each character; not that there's a huge need for money but I prefer to spend it on crafting mats.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I came sorta close to running out when every one of my characters had to switch classes simultaneously but it stabilized afterwards.

Edit: Okay, late game friends, can someone give me a primer on mech building? Because this poo poo is confusing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Basically just continue playing the game and fight more mechs to get more drops to actually get parts to make mech masteries.

The mech itself is a decent distraction tank with sheer stats.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

wait wait wait I knew about the pokemon but you can build robots too?!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kylie can summon xcom 2 style decoy holograms, throw equivalent Overcharge multi-hit supers as regular attacks, cheat elevation like Albus, heal, and allow any party member to immediately hack.

Also summon and make up to 2 robot buddies.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Robots are a bit underwhelming for the amount of effort needed (because I hate fighting bicrons).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hey, great to see a thread for this. I was afraid the game would go completely unnoticed for how fantastic I think it is.

RoyalScion posted:

(because I hate fighting bicrons).

I just got to the part where they're showing up and good lord do I agree. It was actually kind of funny in the mission where Giselle tells Albus to let the Tigers and Spoonists fight before mopping both up and everyone else overrules her. She was absolutely right! Goddamn those robots wrecked me, Giselle and Heixing had to pull my rear end out of the fire there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Hey, great to see a thread for this. I was afraid the game would go completely unnoticed for how fantastic I think it is.

We had to nag Zearoth into making a thread because it was beginning to take over the steam thread. Game good!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nephthys posted:

I just got to the part where they're showing up and good lord do I agree. It was actually kind of funny in the mission where Giselle tells Albus to let the Tigers and Spoonists fight before mopping both up and everyone else overrules her. She was absolutely right! Goddamn those robots wrecked me, Giselle and Heixing had to pull my rear end out of the fire there.

Make sure to go back and take the other option at some point, that's one of those missions that gives an exclusive choice-dependent mastery. And it's one of the really good meta-masteries that gives you more slots in a different mastery, so well worth doing.

On that note, to everyone in this thread: Make sure you go back and re-do all the options of the following missions: Scent of the Past (the winter themed one where you get like 6 options), Astonishing Reunion (the police training one) and Taking a Step Back (the one mentioned here, with the absolutely murderous Bicrons). You get some REALLY important stuff from some of these.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Make sure to go back and take the other option at some point, that's one of those missions that gives an exclusive choice-dependent mastery. And it's one of the really good meta-masteries that gives you more slots in a different mastery, so well worth doing.

On that note, to everyone in this thread: Make sure you go back and re-do all the options of the following missions: Scent of the Past (the winter themed one where you get like 6 options), Astonishing Reunion (the police training one) and Taking a Step Back (the one mentioned here, with the absolutely murderous Bicrons). You get some REALLY important stuff from some of these.

Oh neat, so that's how you get those. It was driving me crazy when I was seeing peoples builds and they had more slots than I had and I couldn't figure out how to match them. Just gotta get my levels up so I can fit them in now. Mastery optomisation is really addicting.

Another thing I find ironic is everyone being super considerate and worried about Anne all the time in the story when in gameplay she completely nukes anyone she can hit. Fighting Roberto was hilarious and kind of sad.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nephthys posted:

Oh neat, so that's how you get those. It was driving me crazy when I was seeing peoples builds and they had more slots than I had and I couldn't figure out how to match them. Just gotta get my levels up so I can fit them in now. Mastery optomisation is really addicting.

Another thing I find ironic is everyone being super considerate and worried about Anne all the time in the story when in gameplay she completely nukes anyone she can hit. Fighting Roberto was hilarious and kind of sad.

That part with Roberto convinced me Anne is secretly the most evil person in the entire game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Interested to see what your Anne build is, because one is kinda just plinking for 500 (when the average is like 1000+). I did make everyone fast as hell, including Ray who's like taking twice as many turns as everyone else.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Anne’s damage as witch is great but her accuracy is suspect since she doesn’t have a fall type move like Sion.

Also witch’s blessing sometimes backfires

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anne's Witch stuff is absolutely hilarious in how many ways it can go both wrong and right. I had one mission where I positioned her poorly, she got killed, then Hellgate activated and half the drat enemy team was on my side for a while. It's a bit silly to have a Mastery that only activates on getting killed but it's absolutely amazing when it does go off.

And she can still heal decently enough, it's just not the insane mega heals White Mage gets off.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

Anne's Witch stuff is absolutely hilarious in how many ways it can go both wrong and right. I had one mission where I positioned her poorly, she got killed, then Hellgate activated and half the drat enemy team was on my side for a while. It's a bit silly to have a Mastery that only activates on getting killed but it's absolutely amazing when it does go off.

I didn't quite understand what that did from the description. I found out during the training exercise with VHPD, when I was playing Albus Vs everyone. Needless to say I had to restart that one.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also on the note of randomness, if anyone here has all four Luck-derived skills they owe it themselves to try the full Luck set on someone for a laugh. Just completely random buffs constantly heading your way, up to and including John's bullshit Invulnerability buff.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

This is my first jrpg/krpg and I'm not an anime watcher so I'm trying to just roll with it but I just seemed to have hired a child soldier onto my death squad and no one has a problem with this whatsoever. It's a very shiny but very dark world and I think I'm the bad guys (?). Fun game though. It's basically a much jankier Xcom Chimera Squad, but anime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leveling up a class which only unlocks skills for crafting instead of getting a copy is stupid bullshit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I also think it's kind of annoying but the intent behind it is clearly to lock certain powerful skills *coughMagicalArmorcough* until later in the game.

Speaking of later in the game, I spent like 5 hours today just messing around with mastery boards and running old missions for crafting and made absolutely zero progress in the plot. I probably should push in just a little bit further so I can unlock the last type of pet before falling into a deep unnecessary grinding hole forever. I like how the late game equipment starts having actually interesting effects on top of the usual random stuff. I got Albus a sick looking sword that inflicts a guaranteed Curse of Wind on the target. It's neat. I should work on getting my other characters geared up but christ Black Iron stuff takes a while to grind up.

I also played around with giving Albus a set that turns him into a super powerful uncontrollable blood fueled berserker after making that sword. It went poorly for my team when I misjudged the distances and put Sion a bit too close to rampaging Albus.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I also think it's kind of annoying but the intent behind it is clearly to lock certain powerful skills *coughMagicalArmorcough* until later in the game.

Speaking of later in the game, I spent like 5 hours today just messing around with mastery boards and running old missions for crafting and made absolutely zero progress in the plot. I probably should push in just a little bit further so I can unlock the last type of pet before falling into a deep unnecessary grinding hole forever. I like how the late game equipment starts having actually interesting effects on top of the usual random stuff. I got Albus a sick looking sword that inflicts a guaranteed Curse of Wind on the target. It's neat. I should work on getting my other characters geared up but christ Black Iron stuff takes a while to grind up.

I also played around with giving Albus a set that turns him into a super powerful uncontrollable blood fueled berserker after making that sword. It went poorly for my team when I misjudged the distances and put Sion a bit too close to rampaging Albus.

restricting access to masteries which you supposedly just unlocked by leveling a class doesn't do anything for balance. you can already grind levels, activate level scaling, and change difficulties at any time. outside of those terrible guest party missions, the difficulty of the game is whatever you choose.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tae posted:

Interested to see what your Anne build is, because one is kinda just plinking for 500 (when the average is like 1000+). I did make everyone fast as hell, including Ray who's like taking twice as many turns as everyone else.

Anne as a Witch gets access to Elementalist masteries, so she has almost as much ESP as Sion. It also means she gets Magic Acceleration and with Soul Guide she always has max vigor. Her accuracy is weirdly bad and I'm not 100% sure why, but she hits like a truck when she does.

I really think that Witch is a way better class than White Mage. You get great damage, you can still heal as much as you need to and you become an incredible support since Witch's Prank lets you give your whole team random buff (including invincibility). The Soul Reaper set gives out random buffs or debuffs for each enemy you take out that she can see too, so she can really supercharge her teammates in a fight. The only issue is that I had to wait ages to complete her stuff since Witch's Prank is gated behind Luck which was hard to find. I haven't been able to get Sage yet.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

triple post?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 23, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

triple post?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 23, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

restricting access to masteries which you supposedly just unlocked by leveling a class doesn't do anything for balance. you can already grind levels, activate level scaling, and change difficulties at any time. outside of those terrible guest party missions, the difficulty of the game is whatever you choose.

I dunno man, I was just guessing at the reasoning behind it. I feel like it adds something to chase, too. As you mentioned, you can already do all sorts of mess against balance so adding some chase goals seems suitable? But I'm not like hyper committed to defending this decision or anything. I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Witch’s blessing rarely gives you debuffs so it can be annoying. I do like Anne as a witch more but white mage has its uses since it has some powerful auras and support abilities, especially in draki nest thanks to the annoying vigor drain field effect.

Sions accuracy isn’t much better but lightning bolt ignores most if not all cover bonus so it doesn’t feel as bad.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My Sion's accuracy has somehow ended up insanely high due to a combination of gear and masteries. I mean it, he has literally the highest on paper accuracy of my entire team. I'm pretty sure Giselle is more accurate in general due to her having that one mastery that reduces distance penalties, but it's closer than you'd think.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
accuracy is by far the most important stat, because while cover is irrelevant enemies get lots of dodge and block. sion with accuracy on his weapon and accessory is amazing at killing both crowds and bosses. without it, he can't hit poo poo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Note that accuracy helps precisely fuckall against block. The thing that helps Sion against block is having such stupidly high damage he just kills things straight through their blocks. Honestly, Sion is kinda insanely good at killing things. Heixing is definitely better against big crowds, but if you wanna take out a boss or a loving BICRON you really gotta have Sion do it.

Sweeper Heixing is hilarious on certain missions though. Like the one with all the Negooris where you can climb up into their little sanctuary and there's just like 20 freaking Negooris in a really small space, well within Sweeping Shot range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for thread i would never have heard of this game otherwise!!!