Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

dr_rat posted:

LOL, Your crotch has excessive amounts of genetic material because you never get laid! :smuggo:

Or they get laid by many people, all at once

e: What a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you had/have a kid who eats what they're given then count yourself lucky because they absolutely do not all do that. I'm a vegetarian (and a decent cook, as well as someone who generally enjoys vegetables and knows how to prepare them well instead of just boiling everything for 30 minutes) so our kids have been offered healthy, well cooked veg their whole life. Oldest wouldn't eat a bite of anything that wasnt a processed carbohydrate between the ages of 1.5 and 3.5. This often has absolutely nothing to do with the taste of the food and everything to do with power. "Just starve them out" works very specifically for kids aged like 3-4 because they're old enough to realise you mean business but too young to just get up in the night and eat half the pantry while you sleep, which older kids will do. Meanwhile 1-2yos will actually go hungry, be unable to sleep from hunger, will scream for hours because they're hungry and then probably, finally, eat something. But they will then repeat this process every single time you try to feed them that thing. It's honestly the easiest way to ensure they never willingly eat vegetables.

If I were to offer parenting advice to someone with reluctant eaters it would be specifically not to force the issue and to simply model healthy eating yourself, always serve them the same stuff as yourself, get them involved in buying and cooking food, and generally just gently persist but never try to force them to eat stuff. Forcing the issue will create a complex where kids know that vegetables are something that they have to eat under duress and many will react against that even if they realise that they like the flavour and eat as little as possible. I did this myself until I was like 16.

Also this all takes a lot of time, energy, mental load and money so it irks me no end when people get judgemental about parents of kids who are picky eaters. It's never as simple as "literally just cook them vegetables". You've got to be around at the right time to buy and cook fresh food, invest time and energy into thinking up different ways/recipes to present healthy food, have the time and energy to persist when a kid won't take a bite of something you just spent 45 minutes cooking, etc.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Way back in the 90s I went to a grade school in France (for a few weeks as a teacher's aid, not a student). The lunches provided were so good I still remember most of them, and the kids just took it as normal. Us Americans were dumbfounded, and then highly aggrieved when we returned to our lovely high school lunches with ketchup-as-a-vegetable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

put the veg in mac and cheese

simple

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lammo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Sets location spoofer to the Papa John's pizza mansion*

Yeah I'm gonna need like $300,000 and forty pizzas a month.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bike tory posted:

If you had/have a kid who eats what they're given then count yourself lucky because they absolutely do not all do that.

Fantastic post. I was a picky kid because I have autism, and I once went two days without eating because my parents told me I couldn't eat anything until I ate my beans. After they got divorced, my BMI went from underweight to obese in three years. It didn't help that if I ever admitted to liking a food I previously hated, they'd try to "prove" I wasn't picky anymore and make a lot more foods that made me gag like beans, pierogies, fish, etc. Now I have binge eating disorder but I'm no longer obese.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

If you had/have a kid who eats what they're given then count yourself lucky because they absolutely do not all do that. I'm a vegetarian (and a decent cook, as well as someone who generally enjoys vegetables and knows how to prepare them well instead of just boiling everything for 30 minutes) so our kids have been offered healthy, well cooked veg their whole life. Oldest wouldn't eat a bite of anything that wasnt a processed carbohydrate between the ages of 1.5 and 3.5. This often has absolutely nothing to do with the taste of the food and everything to do with power. "Just starve them out" works very specifically for kids aged like 3-4 because they're old enough to realise you mean business but too young to just get up in the night and eat half the pantry while you sleep, which older kids will do. Meanwhile 1-2yos will actually go hungry, be unable to sleep from hunger, will scream for hours because they're hungry and then probably, finally, eat something. But they will then repeat this process every single time you try to feed them that thing. It's honestly the easiest way to ensure they never willingly eat vegetables.

If I were to offer parenting advice to someone with reluctant eaters it would be specifically not to force the issue and to simply model healthy eating yourself, always serve them the same stuff as yourself, get them involved in buying and cooking food, and generally just gently persist but never try to force them to eat stuff. Forcing the issue will create a complex where kids know that vegetables are something that they have to eat under duress and many will react against that even if they realise that they like the flavour and eat as little as possible. I did this myself until I was like 16.

Also this all takes a lot of time, energy, mental load and money so it irks me no end when people get judgemental about parents of kids who are picky eaters. It's never as simple as "literally just cook them vegetables". You've got to be around at the right time to buy and cook fresh food, invest time and energy into thinking up different ways/recipes to present healthy food, have the time and energy to persist when a kid won't take a bite of something you just spent 45 minutes cooking, etc.

euphronius posted:

put the veg in mac and cheese

simple

also just make sure your kid is Slav and eats like one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Planet genetics is loving crazy too. They're just all over the place in how much DNA they have.

So a bacteria's genome is something like 3 Megabases. Humans are a thousand times more, at 3 gigabases.

Lots of plants are pretty small. Most sit at like 100Mb to 900Mb, so anywhere between a 30th and a third of humans. And thats anything from ferns to fruit trees.

Then you get poo poo like cabbages are 2.6 gigabases. Sunflowers are 3.5gig, slightly more than humans. Bread wheat, having been uh...bred like mad for thousands of years is 14.5gig, 5 times that of human. Pine spruce trees can top 20gig. 20! It doesn't even have a nervous system or a capacity to dissapoint its friends!

Plants are quite frequently like “watch this poo poo” and they just double their genome.

Now it’s like they have a dev codebase that they can screw around with, while their production codebase keeps them functional.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Plants are quite frequently like “watch this poo poo” and they just double their genome.

Now it’s like they have a dev codebase that they can screw around with, while their production codebase keeps them functional.

Oh man that's a great analogy, stealing this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Platystemon posted:

:staredog: what is this process called? I want to know more about this

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

it's called the "gently caress you plant geneticist" button and they sure do love it

(i would also like to know)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Platystemon posted:

lmao, plants are smarter than the forums

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's called whole genome duplication or polyploidisation and it's a loving nightmare to deal with yeah

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

our ancestors also underwent at least two whole genome duplications and subsequent rediploidisations btw, and it's relatively common in bony fish as well for some reason

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I was a picky eater as a child because once I was an adult and tried all this poo poo I thought I didn't like it turned out that it was because my mom was a terrible cook who hated spices of any kind and thought that all meat should be cooked until black.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Platystemon posted:

That is a perfect analogy. And yeah I remember learning about tetraploidy etc in undergrad bio and WTFing. Then I figured out how to use antimitotics to induce human cancer cells to octuple their DNA and then take lil confocal microscopy videos of them spazzing out, neat stuff

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LastInLine posted:

I was a picky eater as a child because once I was an adult and tried all this poo poo I thought I didn't like it turned out that it was because my mom was a terrible cook who hated spices of any kind and thought that all meat should be cooked until black.

yeah, I had this exact same problem. 18 years of eating the most bland poo poo imaginable.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeast are also really good at polyploidy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/mashable/status/1263836719104876545?s=19

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ironically those people are some of the only ones who can afford $27.99 for $1 worth of shaped plastic since they didn't lose income.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

most doctors and nurses are being laid off actually, very few are still working the covid stuff

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

someone in another thread commented that these are just clearly prototypes for JD, Turk, Elliot, and Carla from Scrubs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

pentyne posted:

Ironically those people are some of the only ones who can afford $27.99 for $1 worth of shaped plastic since they didn't lose income.

I get what you're saying, but Funko are like $11?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

I get what you're saying, but Funko are like $11?

That's why you get the value pack with thee Funkos!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

someone in another thread commented that these are just clearly prototypes for JD, Turk, Elliot, and Carla from Scrubs

oh gently caress me you’re right

goddamn it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

or sometimes they import the whole genome of a different species and see what happens

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I feel your pain comrade. My mother’s recipe for chicken was to throw chicken breasts into a pan, lightly sprinkle them with salt and pepper and cook it until all moisture and flavor had evaporated. When I was fifteen I staged a kitchen coup and started cooking dinner because we all couldn’t stand her poo poo food anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I feel your pain comrade. My mother’s recipe for chicken was to throw chicken breasts into a pan, lightly sprinkle them with salt and pepper and cook it until all moisture and flavor had evaporated. When I was fifteen I staged a kitchen coup and started cooking dinner because we all couldn’t stand her poo poo food anymore.

Sounds like she used the old standby of "do a job you hate bad enough someone else does it" to teach you to cook

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

indigi posted:

lmao ahahahahahah

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fat bossy gerbil posted:

to be fair, chicken breast exists in exactly two states of either dead raw or dryer than cardboard.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

bike tory posted:

to be fair, chicken breast exists in exactly two states of either dead raw or dryer than cardboard.

It doesn't have to be this way bro

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

this is your chicken breast on capitalism

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
thigh over breast superiority in all things

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bike tory posted:

The world has wronged you.

(It should be tender and juicy.)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pomp posted:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

bike tory posted:

That's a shnitty thing to say

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pomp posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Being a Landlord is HARRDDDDD

Only registered members can see post attachments!