Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

People keep making GBS threads on the handpuppet episode, but I reached the GI Joe episode last night and... why?

I totally forgot it existed.

And oh my God they kept Jared Fogle in the penultimate episode of season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dan Harmon is very much an 80's kid. They dropped a few Transformers jokes in the early seasons I recall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not a big fan of the GI Joe episode but it’s far better than the puppet episode

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

mcbexx posted:

People keep making GBS threads on the handpuppet episode, but I reached the GI Joe episode last night and... why?

Having just watched this one for the first time, I can report it definitely felt out of place with the rest of season 5.

It elicited the same feeling of the puppet episode, just cheap nostalgia with no deeper purpose other than "member GI Joe?" Seemed like an earlier Abed script they decided to recast Jeff in because they're already done too many imaginary Abed episodes.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The GI Joe episode owns and gave Jeff some good character development.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm watching "contemporary american poultry" which is the goodfellas episode.

I forgot all about the angle where Abed's job reference was spot on. Pierce pretends to be donald trump and he extols the virtues of Abed's chicken frying. Old racist (who loves fried crap)? Inspired choice in pierce/trump

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I dressed up like a crazy pharaoh for you, man!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Protip for new viewers: Pay attention to the word Betelgeuse when it appears.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

mcbexx posted:

The big problem with season 4 is that it goes out of it’s to spin it’s and be wacky while not accomplishing anything or moving the characters forward, or in the case of the puppet episode movie characters backward. (Shirley’s character sure did get put in a dumpster that episode)

Dan Harmon is very good at taking high concept episodes and grounding them in human experiences and emotions. This something season 4 fails at repeatedly for its entire run. For instance Britta and Troy’s weird rear end romance where they can’t even communicate on a basic level then break up, which has no effect on either’s character and is never mentioned again.

I also think part of Community’s success is that it’s the rare sitcom with a central theme which is stated by Troy in episode 2 “try to be happy where you’re at” which is a driving force for pretty much every character in the show.

To that end I feel like season 6 can put people off because that’s where the show’s central theme changes to “accept reality for what is.” This is actually why I like RV Repair for what it is, the cast and writers throwing one last tantrum over not wanting to move on and desperately trying to have one last hurrah, but it’s already too late for that. By the time it’s over the show’s pretty much moved on and the audience is ready to too.

Then finale happens where the left over corpse of the show limps on for one last gasp before it’s finally done.

In any case this was a lot more words than I usually post, but I like this show a lot for what it was.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think the finale is a perfect ending for everything that "Community" was, and a movie isn't such a hot idea.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

both the chang movie episode and grifting 101 were strong good episodes, imo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

both the chang movie episode and grifting 101 were strong good episodes, imo
Grifting 101 is goofy as poo poo and probably my least favorite episode in Season 6 but it has some strong moments.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Season 6 gives me a weird feeling, like they're performing an extra set of episodes after hours. Trying out some last few jokes, some long end tags, and so forth, but they're not planning on doing any big changes, they're just playing with what they have left.

Season 2 and 3 feel special because the show was getting into its groove. It felt like there could be some really solid character development going forward, with Jeff's dad, and between Annie and Jeff and Britta and Troy.

Season 4 kinda threw all that out, and a Jeff and Annie romance wouldn't have been good anyway, but they could have done more with other developments. Season 4 is just such a tragedy for throwing a wrench in solid character arcs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Grifting 101 is goofy as poo poo and probably my least favorite episode in Season 6 but it has some strong moments.

I think Grifting 101 is a good example of an episode that would be better if it were 22 minutes. It’s funny enough (if nothing special) but definitely needs to be tighter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I think Grifting 101 is a good example of an episode that would be better if it were 22 minutes. It’s funny enough (if nothing special) but definitely needs to be tighter.
I could see this. I mostly just think it's a weird concept to parody and the characters are used kind of interchangeably, but I do think tightening the pace would make things better. Matt Beery's (Berry?) never unwelcome though.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ifCU7WQ5ZA

I just learned that Community did mini-episodes. It was a pleasant surprise to have fresh Community content to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmKvSHkquho

Speaking of mini-episodes, I think a lot of people missed the literal Honda commercial they did with Abed and the Dean.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Ccs posted:

Season 6 gives me a weird feeling, like they're performing an extra set of episodes after hours. Trying out some last few jokes, some long end tags, and so forth, but they're not planning on doing any big changes, they're just playing with what they have left.

It's also shot very differently from the preceding seasons, odd angles and sort of warm filters used - which gives it another almost other-worldly feeling. I wanna say afterlife-ish, which might have been a conscious choice from Harmon to drive home the fact that this is the end, or it's past it's use-by date?

Halfway through season six now, I do find the emails/hackers episode carries out the "we find out deeply personal things about each other" mission of the clunky puppet episode much better.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

DrDraxium posted:

It's also shot very differently from the preceding seasons, odd angles and sort of warm filters used - which gives it another almost other-worldly feeling. I wanna say afterlife-ish, which might have been a conscious choice from Harmon to drive home the fact that this is the end, or it's past it's use-by date?

Halfway through season six now, I do find the emails/hackers episode carries out the "we find out deeply personal things about each other" mission of the clunky puppet episode much better.

Harmon says in the Season 6 commentaries (possibly episode 1) that it was a conscious decision to make the lighting appear more natural since their larger budget afforded them the opportunity to do so. He also said that they overlit basically every scene in, like, Season 5 because they couldn't really afford to take the time to reset all the lights for different camera angles.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s weird given that s5 has by far the dimmest lighting

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s weird given that s5 has by far the dimmest lighting

Even if I didn't know every season by heart it is pretty easy to figure out which season a clip came from by lighting and "look" alone. Just like you can trace which 30 Rock season by Tracy Morgan's weight gain and loss.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Irrespective of this thread my wife and I started rewatching Community the other day, and I thought it was really funny that in Advanced Criminal Law Jeff compares himself to Alan Dershowitz. In the very next episode he starts putting the moves on Annie.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Outside of season 6, are the dvds/blu-rays the only way to watch this with commentaries?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Never watched this show before but just watched it all in the course of 3 weeks, such a good and wholesome show. Here are some random comments.

- I don't get why Troy and Britta were ever a thing really. Could've done without, it went absolutely nowhere.
- I don't mind some Freaky Friday stuff but it went on too long and didn't really go well with Troy''s persona.
- Hated the claymation and puppetry
- But I enjoyed the GI Joe
- The first paintball episode was absolute perfection
- I liked Pierce as a character
- Owen Wilson as the head of the popular group that was never mentioned before and will never be mentioned again was fun

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a joke in the earlier seasons where the comment is made that if you slow down footage of two people interacting and play shmaltzy music over it, it looks like they have romantic tension using Jeff/Annie and then Pierce/Abed. It feels like the writers did that with Troy/Britta but felt like it was real.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I wonder what people who didn’t watch the show when it aired think about the references to The Cape

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Never watched this show before but just watched it all in the course of 3 weeks, such a good and wholesome show. Here are some random comments.

- I don't get why Troy and Britta were ever a thing really. Could've done without, it went absolutely nowhere.
- I don't mind some Freaky Friday stuff but it went on too long and didn't really go well with Troy''s persona.
- Hated the claymation and puppetry
- But I enjoyed the GI Joe
- The first paintball episode was absolute perfection
- I liked Pierce as a character
- Owen Wilson as the head of the popular group that was never mentioned before and will never be mentioned again was fun

The issue with the first 3 is all season 4s fault while Harmon was fired. Even if they had used those concepts they would’ve been better executed and he definitely would’ve gotten more out of the Troy/Britta relationship.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dawgstar posted:

There's a joke in the earlier seasons where the comment is made that if you slow down footage of two people interacting and play shmaltzy music over it, it looks like they have romantic tension using Jeff/Annie and then Pierce/Abed. It feels like the writers did that with Troy/Britta but felt like it was real.

It was not a joke. They were planting Troy/Britta stuff all the way back in season 1. The earliest thing is in this drat webisode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ifCU7WQ5ZA&t=110s

I think Harmon has stated that they didn't even get the Jeff/Annie idea until they all watched the fan made video that it was then parodied in the clip show episode. Which then leads them to Troy/Britta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsBvqDwVqwc

The bigger "start" to it was the Troy/Britta dance A-story from season 1, but you can see it slowly building in frequency and importance through season 2 and 3. Mixology Certification, Competitive Wine Tasting, Remedial Chaos Theory, Documentary Filmmaking: Redux...this doesn't come out of nowhere. The biggest problem is that the two-year buildup gets screwed over in just by being in season 4...the new showrunners didn't know what to do. I believe that the relationship probably would have ended in a blow-up, but just...would have been done better. That was the big problem with season 4 in the first place: they came in with the idea that "Community is this whacky, meta show that does parodies" and tried to play too hard into these ideas, instead of just...being itself.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I just finished the whole run and realized that I had watched most of S6 as background noise when it originally aired streamed, so it was actually better than I expected/remembered, but still felt weirdly different and disconnected, almost like a well intended, high-effort but ultimately non-canonical fan project.

On the other hand it now feels like it ended for real this time around, so I'm kinda bummed out now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Nobody seems to be mentioning Jonathan Banks, but I liked his character. Especially the episode where he and Annie had to fight the bureaucracy of the school.

I also really loved the whole Troy and the airco cabal sub-plot that ran through the entire show. John Goodman was great in the role.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jonathan Banks was great, yeah. I think he fit in just as well as Paget did in s6.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He was interesting when interacting with individual members of the group but didn't bring much to the scene around the table, I think they didn't know what to do with an old guy who wasn't Pierce who would make some really off color joke and be kind of the villain of the group.

Paget was really funny, especially when they make that meta joke about the IT lady. I knew she was in season 6 so it was weird seeing her in season 5 in a different role, and they then actually addressed it in the most Community way ever.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
"As an outsider who came in and nailed it,"

I love Paget Brewster

I think Community season 4 would have been the high point of a lot - a LOT - of shows. But hearing the cast and creator hate on it so cruelly makes me feel bad for liking the Sophie B. Hawkins Dance so much.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

movie pitch: the study group reunites on an island after each receives a mysterious invitation, And Then There Were None style. maybe Troy returns as a Count of Monte Cristo type

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jai Guru Dave posted:

I love Paget Brewster

I think Community season 4 would have been the high point of a lot - a LOT - of shows. But hearing the cast and creator hate on it so cruelly makes me feel bad for liking the Sophie B. Hawkins Dance so much.

That one and the Troy/Britta breakup are usually seen as the "good ones" from season 4. Harmon was at least smart enough to bring back Alison Brie.

edit: even if the initial premise of "Abed is a loser and can't find a date" was pretty debunked in S1 and S2 to the whole idea about needing to set him up was strange.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Jai Guru Dave posted:

I love Paget Brewster

I like that one and the haunted house episode.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

movie pitch: the study group reunites on an island after each receives a mysterious invitation, And Then There Were None style. maybe Troy returns as a Count of Monte Cristo type

this idea came to me in a dream: it's a new movie in the Scary Movie franchise but it's just a community movie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

They do have some genuine moments, like the dance class episode. The hint they might get together at the end of season 3 is fine. It feels like a natural step for the characters.

Turns out that doesn't make for interesting TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

That one and the Troy/Britta breakup are usually seen as the "good ones" from season 4. Harmon was at least smart enough to bring back Alison Brie.

Brie Larson. And I agree! I wish she was in more episodes.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I can't believe 2 persons called Brie starred in this show and they both made it big. What a time to be alive.

I liked the Brie Larson character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Brie Larson. And I agree! I wish she was in more episodes.

I never found the Captain Marvel character interesting and her weird behaviour in all the media surrounding it put me off. So I was pleasantly surprised for her to show up in Community and be a very likeable character.