Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Double posting to say I found the point where Claremont took things a little too far with Storm: Classic X-Men #11

In London, a fiction writer is depressed, and contemplates suicide on top of a tower. Storm arrives, says she’s a fan, and takes him flying. When they land back at the tower Storm gets clubbed over the head by a serial killer dressed as a security guard, and the writer finds the courage to try and save her. He gets his rear end kicked, but Storm recovers enough to stop the killer. The writer is still depressed, Storm tells him to have hope and keep on living. That’s it. He walks away with Storm still on the ground with a head wound.

And the pin up for the issue, which are normally well composed despite the art not being the best, is of the killer with his club standing over an unconscious Storm. It looks rapey as gently caress, and is kind of uncomfortable to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That one might have been Ann Nocenti.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wanderer posted:

That one might have been Ann Nocenti.

Nah, it's a Claremont one although the plot does sound like something out of Nocenti's wheelhouse. At the very least Claremont is the only credited writer for the issue and the narration is very Claremont-y.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Claremont didn't draw the pin-up though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

How Wonderful! posted:

Nah, it's a Claremont one although the plot does sound like something out of Nocenti's wheelhouse. At the very least Claremont is the only credited writer for the issue and the narration is very Claremont-y.

Fair enough, then. I remember a couple of the weirder backups turned out to be Nocenti rather than Claremont, like the one where a new hire at the Hellfire Club gets a weird pep talk from Emma Frost about the underwear uniform.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wanderer posted:

Fair enough, then. I remember a couple of the weirder backups turned out to be Nocenti rather than Claremont, like the one where a new hire at the Hellfire Club gets a weird pep talk from Emma Frost about the underwear uniform.

Yeah, a lot of her Classic X-Men backups feel like she recognizes Claremont's approach to sexuality but can't get quite there without going off into a different direction of weirdness. I like Nocenti but I'm struggling to think of an CXM backup by her that I'd call good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m at the point where they lean pretty hard on the horny in the back ups. I knew Colossus got with a woman in the Savage Land, but I didn’t know it was two at the same time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wanderer posted:

The last time I read that (probably a little more than a decade ago?) I remember thinking it came off as a pretty powerful pro-woman thing. But in retrospect, I can see how the most powerful woman in a sex dungeon for oligarchs explaining sexual empowerment to a server isn't exactly ideal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m at the point where they lean pretty hard on the horny in the back ups. I knew Colossus got with a woman in the Savage Land, but I didn’t know it was two at the same time.
He just wanted a second front, like any good proletarian!

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

That's in the main story too. Colossus walks up to Wolverine with two topless women, and is like "These ladies want to show me their special island, do you want to come with?" and Wolverine is like "No, you go ahead and have fun" so Colossus walks off with both of them.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

And he has son named Peter from that! I think he's been in like two issues since.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/jhickman/status/1261879414708752384?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ChrisAHassan/status/1261728678125412355?s=19

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
I've been trade waiting for the Dawn of X stuff. It looks like it's been collected two ways: the DoX trades have them collected as monthly releases (so a trade for all the #1's, then a trade for all the #2's), while the series trades have them in the more usual fashion. Now I realize it's probably just a question of preference, but can I get opinions on which collection reads better? For the first read vs for rereading? For reference, I would say that Hickman's F4/FF needs to be read in threaded release order, while the Secret Wars minis work better as standalone titles.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gaebril posted:

I've been trade waiting for the Dawn of X stuff. It looks like it's been collected two ways: the DoX trades have them collected as monthly releases (so a trade for all the #1's, then a trade for all the #2's), while the series trades have them in the more usual fashion. Now I realize it's probably just a question of preference, but can I get opinions on which collection reads better? For the first read vs for rereading? For reference, I would say that Hickman's F4/FF needs to be read in threaded release order, while the Secret Wars minis work better as standalone titles.

Those "all number 1 issue" collections are loving bad and dumb. They never last more than a couple volumes so you'll probably have to get the trades for the individual series anyway.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't pay extra for the book that sucks

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nevvy Z posted:

Don't pay extra for the book that sucks

Issue 1 dropped on Unlimited yesterday so I'm excited to see what the hate is about.

I also will say: Excalibur #1 was pretty confusing with less-than-stellar art. X-Force #1 did a reasonable job of doing what it was meant to do.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Excalibur reads better the second go through, when you have the context for who all these (mostly non-Xmen) characters are and what they're going on about.

It took me forever to figure out Betsy was ghosting her old body at the party.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Excalibur reads better the second go through, when you have the context for who all these (mostly non-Xmen) characters are and what they're going on about.

It took me forever to figure out Betsy was ghosting her old body at the party.

And then suddenly Dawgstar's face shown with realization.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The cast is great, I love all the weird magic poo poo adjacent to X-Men, and having Apocalypse on the team is such a wonderful idea, but... yeah. Excalibur is a good book, but less than the sum of its parts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-Men, Marauders and New Mutants are all gangbusters from the start, Excalibur and X-Force took a couple issues for me to get into but picked up quite a bit. Sadly there were no other new X-titles until X-Men/Fantastic Four.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
Thanks for the advice all. I was going to go all in but if Fallen Angels is that noxious I'll skip it

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Any new today?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

New Marvel books starting next week with Mauraders, then X-Force and New Mutants 2 weeks after that (for some reason Marvel is only releasing new singles every other week to start, with just trades in the weeks between.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just resubbed to Unlimited and read all the Dawn of X #1s.

Excalibur and Marauders are breakaway favorites. I thought the first issue of Excalibur was plenty strong and had has great art, so I don't get y'all.
New Mutants is eh and with weird, uneven art.
X-Men has great art thanks to a colorer and inker that don't turn Yu into a sketchy nightmare. Also cool villains but the Summers family sucks.
X-Force is kinda ugly and nothing happens but the concept is neat.
Fallen Angels is absolute dogshit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Summers family is awesome, my friend. Even Vulcan is cool now.

The book isn't about them anyway. It's about Scott and team members he picks to go with him on missions, so it doesn't have a limited cast. Even then he isn't always the main character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I really like the first couple of issues of X-Men, but it gets even better the longer it goes on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just read X-Factor 1 from 1985 and—serious question—was the premise at all inspired by Ghostbusters?

Also great is the part where Rusty burns someone to death, but it’s basically forgivable because she was a filthy prostitute and he’s just a naive little lad who doesn’t know about all that stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Even Vulcan is cool now.

Let's not go too far

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Summers family is awesome, my friend. Even Vulcan is cool now.

The book isn't about them anyway. It's about Scott and team members he picks to go with him on missions, so it doesn't have a limited cast. Even then he isn't always the main character.

Cable is the only good one. That was just my appraisal of the first issue, I'm definitely gonna keep up with the book. Was amused by Hepzibah trying to fill out her Summers bingo card though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think X-Men is maybe best described as a stealth anthology book? Yeah, it's very loosely centered on Cyclops, but also he doesn't show up a whole lot and sometimes it's just about Apocalypse's murder revival tent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I think X-Men is maybe best described as a stealth anthology book? Yeah, it's very loosely centered on Cyclops, but also he doesn't show up a whole lot and sometimes it's just about Apocalypse's murder revival tent.

I think Cyclops is the only character who's been in every issue, but yeah, most of the issues don't revolve around him

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

My only issue with the main X-Men book is it feels like a bunch of first issues to arcs that don't end up occurring. It's a lot of really intriguing setup and there is absolutely no interest in seeing where any of it goes in a linear fashion.

Which is an artistic choice I get! But some of those threads I really wanted to keep following.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Cable is the only good one. That was just my appraisal of the first issue, I'm definitely gonna keep up with the book. Was amused by Hepzibah trying to fill out her Summers bingo card though.

Sorry, you're wrong. Especially since the cover to X-Men 1 can read: Never talk to me or my son or my brother or my other brother or my father or my alternate reality daughter or my wife or my wife's boyfriend again.

I was also looking for a line in one of the latest X-Men issues that Vulcan says, but came across this which I don't think has been talked about here:

https://twitter.com/RedClops123/status/1237898286435946497

Hickman, you are tricky.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Adept Nightingale posted:

My only issue with the main X-Men book is it feels like a bunch of first issues to arcs that don't end up occurring. It's a lot of really intriguing setup and there is absolutely no interest in seeing where any of it goes in a linear fashion.

The last two issues of X-Men felt like Hickman is starting to draw these disparate threads (and from New Mutants) together.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sorry, you're wrong. Especially since the cover to X-Men 1 can read: Never talk to me or my son or my brother or my other brother or my father or my alternate reality daughter or my wife or my wife's boyfriend again.

I was also looking for a line in one of the latest X-Men issues that Vulcan says, but came across this which I don't think has been talked about here:

Hickman, you are tricky.

Hmmmm. Okay, that's interesting.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
So, I have only read HoX and PoX thus far, none of the actual ongoings. Do any of them, or any characters in them, ever address the idea that they're clones with laggy memory backups, or mention that souls and the afterlife exist and a bunch of these people have been there pretty recently? Is everyone just fully embracing Hickman's hardcore transhumanism?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blind Azathoth posted:

So, I have only read HoX and PoX thus far, none of the actual ongoings. Do any of them, or any characters in them, ever address the idea that they're clones with laggy memory backups, or mention that souls and the afterlife exist and a bunch of these people have been there pretty recently? Is everyone just fully embracing Hickman's hardcore transhumanism?

Yes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Blind Azathoth posted:

Dawn of X rightfully focuses on the world building. Questions start coming up, but they’re not really confronting them yet. There is supposed to be an upcoming X Factor book that handle those sort of things more directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hickman, you are tricky.

What’s the actual implication of this?