Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Careful who you call / don't call a loveable loser :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Does all that seem about right?

Seems like a more accurate view than the show itself tbh. I enjoyed the series but they overdramatize certain things and create storylines that don't exist in reality. The "rivalry" between Ricciardo and Sainz doesn't exist, for example.

Also Williams are lovable losers.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rebus posted:

Careful who you call / don't call a loveable loser :colbert:

I mean, really, what the gently caress happened to Williams?

your friend wicka posted:

Seems like a more accurate view than the show itself tbh. I enjoyed the series but they overdramatize certain things and create storylines that don't exist in reality. The "rivalry" between Ricciardo and Sainz doesn't exist, for example.

Fair enough--I didn't dislike them overall but Claire seemed way over her head and only in position because of nepotism? Which I guess isn't unheard of in racing anywhere, but I found it hard to like them when she just seemed out of touch and constantly perplexed that they were so bad.

The other poor performing teams seemed to at least have something of a grasp on why they were struggling.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 22, 2020

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I walked away with most favorable opinions of Sainz and McLaren. Sad to see him bounce for Ferrari but I guess you can't pass up big opportunities like that.

good

LeeMajors posted:

Verstappen seemed ok but archetypical young cocky dude--he owns it pretty well

ehh

LeeMajors posted:

I loving hated Horner

good

LeeMajors posted:

Vettel and Hamilton I thought were pretty likable (as well as Bottas and LeClerc)

fine

LeeMajors posted:

but Wolff rubbed me the wrong way in general

what the gently caress?

LeeMajors posted:

and Ferrari just seemed like a hapless team coasting on name recognition and endlessly frustrated that Mercedes was loving them up regularly.

good

LeeMajors posted:

The Haas team principle (I forgot his name) I generally liked because he was just a perpetually disappointed dad with poo poo results (Grosjean :lol:).

good

LeeMajors posted:

Renault though...Cyril was just kinda pompous even though their cars were terrible. The news of Ricciardo bouncing after he was so smug stealing him from Red Bull is :discourse:.

excellent

LeeMajors posted:

I'm not sure what to think about Ricciardo. He seems talented and personable and I initially liked him a bit as a foil to Horner but he's rocketing from team to team. Can't blame him for leaving Renault though--they seem like a shitshow.

good

LeeMajors posted:

Williams :laffo: they aren't even lovable losers and its crazy to me that they were so good when I watched in the 90s.

rip rebus but yeah

LeeMajors posted:

Sauber wasn't covered much, nor was Toro Rosso but I came away with a positive view of TR.

they're just sort of there

LeeMajors posted:

9 1/2 8 1/2 out of 11 I'm docking an extra mark because of how wrong you are about Wolff

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I like Toto.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Fair enough--I didn't dislike them overall but Claire seemed way over her head and only in position because of nepotism? Which I guess isn't unheard of in racing anywhere, but I found it hard to like them when she just seemed out of touch and constantly perplexed that they were so bad.

The other poor performing teams seemed to at least have something of a grasp on why they were struggling.

For the most part they are just underfunded. Last year they hired Paddy Lowe and put him in charge of way too much and he dropped the ball on all of it, so that made them more bad than usual.

NtotheTC posted:

9 1/2 8 1/2 out of 11 I'm docking an extra mark because of how wrong you are about Wolff

Yeah, Wolff kicks rear end, you were wrong about that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fair enough. I guess it wasn't entirely a bad impression but it was only a bit of one season. I guess I should give him an Incomplete.

He definitely wasn't in the Horner/Cyril Axis at all.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I really hope Claire can pull Williams up before they crater into the ground of financial ruin. I'm not confident she can, but it would make a great comeback story!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

since you all are talking about netflix racing docs, i recently watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKwfDjfO9Pw

has anyone seen it and do they have any historical context or comments? e.g. on scorpion racing or formula ford

I don't know much about racing but I've watched this, DTS 1 and 2, and the senna doc in the past month or so

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ArmZ posted:

since you all are talking about netflix racing docs, i recently watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKwfDjfO9Pw

has anyone seen it and do they have any historical context or comments? e.g. on scorpion racing or formula ford

I don't know much about racing but I've watched this, DTS 1 and 2, and the senna doc in the past month or so

Watch Gonchi, it's better than Senna.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Willy T Ribbs is a Hall of Fame tier name. Holy hell.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

your friend wicka posted:

This is what happens when you have Will Buxton to narrate and create the story. :barf:

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frond posted:

I like Toto.

There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to make me not like Toto.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
fomula 1 indy is a reality

https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/1263943062662807552

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jazzyhattrick posted:

There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to make me not like Toto.

:hmmyes:

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Drive to Survive is reddit-tier rubbish. It's awful, dramatized fluff. The first season was not bad for all that, the second is storyboarded shite.

If you really want to learn about F1, dig out as many full length races as you can from the last couple of decades. It will tell you more. about the teams and drivers than some served-up warmed over television show.

Edit: I should add, the Tom Clarkson podcasts that F1 have been producing have been excellent.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 22, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
1 is required viewing for every f1 interested person

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Zeta Acosta posted:

Agreed, watch 1.

Also, find Super Speedway, it's IndyCar based, but fantastic!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

No mention of Kimi "it's just like a hobby for me" Raikkonen, 0/10.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Willy T Ribbs is a Hall of Fame tier name. Holy hell.

Willy T loving owns.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Sulman posted:

Drive to Survive is reddit-tier rubbish. It's awful, dramatized fluff. The first season was not bad for all that, the second is storyboarded shite.

If you really want to learn about F1, dig out as many full length races as you can from the last couple of decades. It will tell you more. about the teams and drivers than some served-up warmed over television show.

Edit: I should add, the Tom Clarkson podcasts that F1 have been producing have been excellent.

Season 2 has Rich Energy though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Rudager posted:

No mention of Kimi "it's just like a hobby for me" Raikkonen, 0/10.

Ah poo poo. He was such a small sliver in the series I barely remembered. There's a lot to soak in for a newb. Mea culpa.

Zeta Acosta posted:

Excellent, reading synopsis seems like exactly the kinda thing I'm looking for.

VodeAndreas posted:

For like 37 seconds, right? Until he realized Haas sucks poo poo?

Sulman posted:

I thought it was pretty fun but you're probably right and that's the sort of advice I'm looking for.

Any particular list of low-key legendary races to look for on youtube that are either super fun or very relevant to the overall F1 zeitgeist?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nobody beats Dick Trickle

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
again i love how people here put themselves above redditors, when this was the forum with pedo mods, people making GBS threads on gamecubes, creating ziplines to kill mutliple children, getting their skull crushed by their own truck and instead of going immediately to hosipital posting about it, commiting mass murder, injecting so many drugs and then fell asleep ontop of their arm for so long that it needed to be amputated, buying a 9000 dollar gaming computer whilst living in a rotting trailer with their children, the mod who decided to build the worst house ever, the mod who couldn't shut the gently caress up about beef jerky, I could make this post waaaaaay longer but you get the point but somehow SA is better than reddit because?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

VodeAndreas posted:

"Haas and Rich Energy" need their own three-part miniseries.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nobody beats Dick Trickle

Ricky Rudd had the best nascar name imo

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

SA is better than reddit because?

You post here!

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

For like 37 seconds, right? Until he realized Haas sucks poo poo?

Haven't watched since soon after it came out but I remember them focusing on it long enough to give me a good laugh again (especially as I knew what was coming).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Minto Took posted:

Ricky Rudd had the best nascar name imo

NASCAR really has the market cornered on the most ridiculous, spittoon-adjacent names.

Cale Yarborough isn't remarkable on its face but definitely wears overalls and plays checkers on top of an upturned barrel.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 23, 2020

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Im dick trickle

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

again i love how people here put themselves above redditors, when this was the forum with pedo mods, people making GBS threads on gamecubes, creating ziplines to kill mutliple children, getting their skull crushed by their own truck and instead of going immediately to hosipital posting about it, commiting mass murder, injecting so many drugs and then fell asleep ontop of their arm for so long that it needed to be amputated, buying a 9000 dollar gaming computer whilst living in a rotting trailer with their children, the mod who decided to build the worst house ever, the mod who couldn't shut the gently caress up about beef jerky, I could make this post waaaaaay longer but you get the point but somehow SA is better than reddit because?

Okay but counter point, Tony Montana never posted on Reddit and I think all our lives were enriched by his brief posting career.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I think he tried but said they were dumber than us.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

LeeMajors posted:

Nepotism and hiring a goon engineer.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

marshalljim posted:

Renault won 2 championships with a goon engineer working for them, so it's gotta just be Nepotism.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fB1IcTD48

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

nascar.mp4

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

LeeMajors posted:

Any particular list of low-key legendary races to look for on youtube that are either super fun or very relevant to the overall F1 zeitgeist?
Just check out this playlist on the official F1 Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfoNZDHitwjXSniIQHvZPchn056vJq_Dn

The full 2018 US GP is on there. Worth a watch for sure!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Wildest rumour so far: Elkman wants to sign Toto Wolff to Ferrari

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...article-details

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

marshalljim posted:

How do you earn your beer tokens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Zeta Acosta posted:

Wildest rumour so far: Elkman wants to sign Toto Wolff to Ferrari

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...article-details

Wow, according to the headline "John Elkann penis a Toto Wolff"