Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LabyaMynora posted:

*insert joke about the Trump administration*

Immediately after posting it I did think “maybe he is saying something about criminals being huge idiots” but later he shows the prisoners on the boat being decent so it was kind of all over the place I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I literally could not understand more than half of the dialogue in Dunkirk lol. I thought my brain was breaking but apparently a lot of people had this experience! My mind was blown when it won Oscars for sound editing/mixing.

I don't think Nolan's a hack, but I do think he is pretty overrated as a director. Insomnia and Inception were great, though. I didn't mind Interstellar either, the emotional parts worked for me much more than that science which was bullshit (you seriously can't tell that there are giant planet-wide tidal waves on this planet from observing it from space?? lmao)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

priznat posted:

Immediately after posting it I did think “maybe he is saying something about criminals being huge idiots” but later he shows the prisoners on the boat being decent so it was kind of all over the place I suppose.

Different people can be different, even if you place them in the same mental category.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Firebert posted:

I literally could not understand more than half of the dialogue in Dunkirk lol. I thought my brain was breaking but apparently a lot of people had this experience! My mind was blown when it won Oscars for sound editing/mixing.

I think it's pretty obvious the Academy literally doesn't know what sound mixing and editing is.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

priznat posted:

I think Interstellar is my favourite Nolan. It has a real old school sci fi writer like Clarke vibe to it and I dig it. I don’t mind the “love is the constant” stuff either because I am sentimental as all hell.

Plus TARS and CASE MVPs.

when TARS flips open and starts rolling end over end to rescue someone I was like: poo poo, this thing can move...it's such a neat robot. and they had a semi practical version on set too, even in the water

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Nolan's problem is that interest, engagement, and enjoyment are different things and he has trouble hitting all three at the same time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bring back old gbs posted:

when TARS flips open and starts rolling end over end to rescue someone I was like: poo poo, this thing can move...it's such a neat robot. and they had a semi practical version on set too, even in the water

Yeah and the guy who voiced it has been in quite a diverse amount of stuff, from the “dont worry be happy” video to Legion to Mr Noodle on Elmo’s world.

My wife likes Interstellar even more than I do and after rewatching it will remark on how she’s more of a CASE while I’m a TARS and I have no idea what that means :haw:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Inception owns.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Going back a few hundred pages to Blood Machines, (it's out now on Shudder) just wondering if anyone has actually seen it yet?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

priznat posted:

Yeah and the guy who voiced it has been in quite a diverse amount of stuff, from the “dont worry be happy” video to Legion to Mr Noodle on Elmo’s world.

My wife likes Interstellar even more than I do and after rewatching it will remark on how she’s more of a CASE while I’m a TARS and I have no idea what that means :haw:

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Lmao Nolan is far from the worst director out there right now. Watching his movies in an actual cinema or Imax is highly recommended over your phone or laptop.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sedgr posted:

Nolan's problem is that interest, engagement, and enjoyment are different things and he has trouble hitting all three at the same time.
can you elaborate on this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I think it's pretty obvious the Academy literally doesn't know what sound mixing and editing is.

Neither does Nolan

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Cubone posted:

can you elaborate on this?

please don't!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

please don't!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

hemale in pain posted:

please don't!
am I missing something?
seemed like an interesting thought

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

well i think that we can all agree that everyone who desires to post itt should not be allowed to post itt.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Nolan is in the uncanny valley, his movies are mostly really good IMO, but for others they're too close to being really good and they end up being a letdown. Personally I find his flaws to be relatively minor and would rather watch any of his movies than that of the average mainstream director. But I get that some would find him pretentious.

His ideas about audio mixing absolutely are stupid and pretentious though, no question. Like he was all mad that people wanted Bane to be easier to hear. How is actually being able to hear the dialog some kind of artistic compromise?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Cubone posted:

am I missing something?
seemed like an interesting thought

Maybe I've stumbled into some well worn argument or picked the thought up from internet osmosis or something? Not sure myself :shrug:

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
They should release the Nolan's cut of Justice League.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sedgr posted:

Maybe I've stumbled into some well worn argument or picked the thought up from internet osmosis or something? Not sure myself :shrug:

i don't think so and dont let me stop you. this is just worst than star wars chat.

gonna need some new rlm content quick

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I think Interstellar is my favourite Nolan. It has a real old school sci fi writer like Clarke vibe to it and I dig it. I don’t mind the “love is the constant” stuff either because I am sentimental as all hell.

Plus TARS and CASE MVPs.

That part was very dumb but I think it wasn't so dumb that it made the rest of the film null. The enormous waves planet followed by the crew being devastated watching 20 years of videos from home was good as gently caress. Also Matt Damon as the hero astronaut who couldn't stomach dying alone on that planet and called a false positive to get rescued.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Captain Quack posted:

They should release the Nolan's cut of Justice League.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

His ideas about audio mixing absolutely are stupid and pretentious though, no question. Like he was all mad that people wanted Bane to be easier to hear. How is actually being able to hear the dialog some kind of artistic compromise?

Because he is a bad film maker

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

Nolan is in the uncanny valley, his movies are mostly really good IMO, but for others they're too close to being really good and they end up being a letdown

This is a really good description of Interstellar.

If Instellar had been only (or almost totally) in space and kept the original ending it would've been less silly.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

The Dark Knight lost me right at the start, I mean how could the criminal dudes not realize the next person will shoot them??

The Dark Knight lost me before it even began, because I'm not into watching superhero dross. Still haven't seen it. Seems like this was the correct decision.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

That part was very dumb but I think it wasn't so dumb that it made the rest of the film null. The enormous waves planet followed by the crew being devastated watching 20 years of videos from home was good as gently caress. Also Matt Damon as the hero astronaut who couldn't stomach dying alone on that planet and called a false positive to get rescued.

The Matt Damon character was kind of refreshing because just being someone who got that broken by their situation is very relateable. Probably took it further than most would with the IEDs and murder plans but still.

And yeah that ocean planet was baller but how did they know it was only like 2 feet deep?? :haw: (I may have always missed some crucial dialog where they scanned it)

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Memento is good guys

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

The Matt Damon character was kind of refreshing because just being someone who got that broken by their situation is very relateable. Probably took it further than most would with the IEDs and murder plans but still.

And yeah that ocean planet was baller but how did they know it was only like 2 feet deep?? :haw: (I may have always missed some crucial dialog where they scanned it)

They shouldn't have gone down there anyway. You ain't gonna make a new Earth on a planet in the gravity well of a black hole, just go on to the next beacon.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
arent they flying through a black hole or gravity well to get to the wave planet? and there is a pine about how due to time dilation the message they received from the planet was just minutes old.

but really it's best not to think about it

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It was a really boring movie best forgotten immediately after watching.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't know about you guys but I enjoy this Nolan chat way more than the usual xxxx chat, because everyone has wildly different opinions.

Edit: and Dark Knight lost me when Mary sue Joker killed that FBI guy inside the police precinct.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 22, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't know about you guys but I enjoy this Nolan chat way more than the usual xxxx chat, because everyone has wildly different opinions.

Extremely same. I don’t have the physics background to speculate too much on what was going on but drat the black hole looked amazing. And scientists liked it too apparently.

Other filmmakers worth discussing:

- Edgar Wright - new film coming shortly?
- Michael Mann - had an interesting pandemic diary I read
- Denis Villeneuve - DUNC heck yeah!
- Oz Perkins - I need to see Gretel and Hansel
- Ponysmasher guy - new quarantine short was pretty cool

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Edit: and Dark Knight lost me when Mary sue Joker killed that FBI guy inside the police precinct.

It was just a JOKE

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Give 👏 Christopher 👏 Nolan 👏 a 👏 Star 👏 Wars 👏 movie 👏

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Inception should have had an action scene in the city that folds in on itself, but I guess I'm describing Doctor Strange and those parts weren't that interesting.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i could see nolan doing a really good Solo 2

edit

the mario van peebles one i mean

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Give Nolan a Bond film IMO

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't know about you guys but I enjoy this Nolan chat way more than the usual xxxx chat, because

im allowed to post my chaturbate link and im not gonna stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Patreon update

“We'll most likely be posting the next Half in the Bag near the end of this weekend. As mentioned before, we discuss Neil Breen's new 5 film retrospective, which coincidentally or not is 5 hours long. For a "documentary" (or whatever you want to call it) that mostly consists of Neil Breen sitting on his couch talking, there was a lot to discuss. Also mentioned in a previous update post is that we watched another movie that is pretty much completely random and there's no good reason why we did it. That movie is Rawhead Rex, written by Clive Barker and shot in Ireland for some reason. We decided to discuss this film because absolutely nothing matters anymore. Have a good weekend, everyone!”