Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Biden meant to say that you aren’t black if you havent seen The Wire

edit: https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1263839385050644483?s=21

Jennifer Hamm is one of the dumbest motherfuckers on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watching a made for tv biopic on ron Leflore starring levar burton and its surprisingly good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TrixRabbi posted:

Joe Biden is the absolute worst but I don't understand why the Dems don't just let him off leash to say whatever thought floats through his mind unfiltered. It's what worked for Trump and it's really the only way it will work for the Dems. Let him call Trump a "frog-lickin' puppykicker" at the debate and challenge him to a fist fight. Just lean into The Onion Diamond Joe persona. Every time he's challenged he tells people "gently caress you, don't like it don't vote for me" which worked in the primary it seems, and he's gonna keep doing it. This "President Tweety" poo poo is focused group nonsense that's not gonna achieve poo poo because no one cares about the President's tweets. For the record, the guy is all-around awful, running a fully imperialist campaign and his Presidency will be an absolute mess with almost no real material change, but also I'm a firm believer in harm reduction and he's much preferable to the damage four more years of Trump would cause.

I can't even bring myself to give a gently caress because Massachusetts hasn't gone red since Reagan and I hate both candidates so much.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Biden meant to say that you aren’t black if you havent seen The Wire

We're in the hands of such dipshits and our entire culture is so loving stupid that I can't even be sure if this is a joke.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

TrixRabbi posted:

Joe Biden is the absolute worst but I don't understand why the Dems don't just let him off leash to say whatever thought floats through his mind unfiltered. It's what worked for Trump and it's really the only way it will work for the Dems. Let him call Trump a "frog-lickin' puppykicker" at the debate and challenge him to a fist fight. Just lean into The Onion Diamond Joe persona. Every time he's challenged he tells people "gently caress you, don't like it don't vote for me" which worked in the primary it seems, and he's gonna keep doing it.
The people with actual enthusiasm for Biden are really invested in the president not being a ridiculous huckster. They care more about appearances than they do about policy. They like some of the tough talk, because liberals have an inferiority complex about the Right calling them commie-lib wimps, but they're very invested in the president being a Very Serious Person.

Plus, if you let Biden off his leash he's not going to just challenge Trump to do pushups, he's going to say a bunch of racist sexist poor-hating poo poo. Trump's supporters don't care about the fine details of what he's saying, because the bottom line is that he's echoing their racist, jingoist, gently caress-you-got-mine attitudes and delivered on what his affluent white base actually cares about : tax cuts. There are no material assurances under Biden's bluster and demented rants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Biden's got a history of having to be reined in from being too nice to Republicans.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bidens a piece of poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

feedmyleg posted:

Neither of these people are anywhere near good enough actors to pull this off and Apatow's instincts are all wrong for this :confused:

Skwirl posted:

I just want 2 and a half hours of deleted scenes of Seth Rogan and Audrey Plaza playing Questions.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Everything about Joe Biden's policy record aside, there's a very credible account of him sexually assaulting a staffer, so he's a complete no-go from me.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1263892255724748801?s=21

lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If Joe Biden's such a racist then why did he work so hard to get Clarence Thomas on the Supreme Court?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I'm glad a Pulitzer Prize winner is resorting to Tumblr tactics to pseudo-defend their bullshit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CPL593H posted:

If Joe Biden's such a racist then why did he work so hard to get Clarence Thomas on the Supreme Court?

Because it gave him a legit reason to slut shame a black woman?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
https://twitter.com/ben_rosen/status/1263892276532543489?s=20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Because it gave him a legit reason to slut shame a black woman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The Joe Biden campaign and the spectacle of the Democratic Party imploding makes life worth living.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

CPL593H posted:

Biden and Thomas are both proud Sleepy-Americans.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/tristan_puig/status/1242549724911030272

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
De Palma’s Sisters loving slaps. RIP Margot Kidder, a certified dime and acting treasure.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Capone was such a bad movie. The topic was cool though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Empress Brosephine posted:

How was Kyle MacLachlan?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Skwirl posted:

How was Kyle MacLachlan?

Barely in it, and part of a plot arc that came to nothing, just like every other arc that isn't Capone making GBS threads himself with increasing sound and fury

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
But he is good in his bit part.

I didn't think it outright sucked but wasn't wowed or anything.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I like the idea of the movie. Some of the execution of it is interesting and the movie looks good for the most part.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If Capone was just him losing his mind, hallucinating, and making GBS threads himself the movie would be much better. Unfortunately, I guess Trank got a note that the movie needed a plot so we have this buried treasure story that can't possibly work when Al Capone is only sometimes aware that there even is a treasure. Deming's camera work and the weird sound mixing are the only real reasons to watch it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

pospysyl posted:

If Capone was just him losing his mind, hallucinating, and making GBS threads himself the movie would be much better. Unfortunately, I guess Trank got a note that the movie needed a plot so we have this buried treasure story that can't possibly work when Al Capone is only sometimes aware that there even is a treasure. Deming's camera work and the weird sound mixing are the only real reasons to watch it.

Some studio head: "SHOW THE VAULT!! YOU CAN'T HAVE A CAPONE MOVIE WITHOUT AL CAPONE'S VAULT!!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
How is the El-P stuff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Al Capone digging holes in his backyard looking for the treasure

Actually that sounds like a good way to kill time and keep active

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pospysyl posted:

Not every bad decision has to be studio mandated.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thread

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1264002702805135360?s=19

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Some time ago, possibly years in a previous incarnation of this thread, someone, I think it may have been Lil' Mama, posted some resources about union organizing. Does anyone have those still?

I want to apply for a job as an organizer and want to learn as much as I can before I go through the process. It's a dream job and I want to give myself the best chance possible at getting it.

Thanks.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Majkol posted:

Some time ago, possibly years in a previous incarnation of this thread, someone, I think it may have been Lil' Mama, posted some resources about union organizing. Does anyone have those still?

I want to apply for a job as an organizer and want to learn as much as I can before I go through the process. It's a dream job and I want to give myself the best chance possible at getting it.

Thanks.

This is pretty much the book I direct everyone to that asks me about organizing. LaborNotes has suspended their online store but they have pretty much the entire book on their website: https://labornotes.org/secrets/handouts

That’s a great general overview of strategy and tactics. For a good brief history of labor organizing (history is crucial for understanding what you’re organizing against and the pitfalls to look out for) check out No Shortcuts: Organizing for Power in the New Gilded Age by Jane McAlevey. I’ve found it useful for preparing for the inevitable Alinskyites you’re going to encounter, especially in leadership roles within unions like the SEIU.

The best thing you can do outside of these two resources is to absorb as much labor history as you can, which is a wide and deep well (it can also be kinda expensive because a lot of the good stuff is out of print). Some personal faves:

Hammer and Hoe: Alabama Communists During the Great Depression

Black Bolshevik: the autobiography of an Afro-American Communist

Reds or Rackets? The Making of Radical and Conservative Unions on the Waterfront.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What (working) actor has the best hit ratio over the course of a lifetime? Or alternatively, what actor spent the highest percent of their career doing great, interesting, and memorable things?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

John Malkovich.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

What (working) actor has the best hit ratio over the course of a lifetime? Or alternatively, what actor spent the highest percent of their career doing great, interesting, and memorable things?

John Cazale

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

There have been some misfires, but Robert De Niro has to be up there.

Edit: poo poo, Daniel Day Lewis.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 23, 2020

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

feedmyleg posted:

What (working) actor has the best hit ratio over the course of a lifetime?

John Wilkes Booth

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Bjork

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Social distancing is over here (currently only three active infected and no new infections for a week)

I'm at the bar. The ravens on the corner are feeding their young. The sun is shining. There's a shitfaced Latvian in a fur coat at the next table showing off his kickboxing moves while smoking like a chimney and ranting incoherently in several languages at the same time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FreudianSlippers posted:

Social distancing is over here (currently only three active infected and no new infections for a week)

I'm at the bar. The ravens on the corner are feeding their young. The sun is shining. There's a shitfaced Latvian in a fur coat at the next table showing off his kickboxing moves while smoking like a chimney and ranting incoherently in several languages at the same time.

Very jealous.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

I have always thought that of the big stars Matt Damon has pretty good taste and choices. Clooney likewise.

Philip Seymour Hoffman did pretty well. Robert Pattinson is heading that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timby posted:

There have been some misfires, but Robert De Niro has to be up there.

I'd say the last decade or two kinda ruined his oeuvre. He has been in SO many lovely comedies and bland thrillers over the last forever years.