Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

President Ark posted:

Yes. On the surface. It can't spread underground because corrupt grass doesn't grow underground.

Okay, you can't read, I get it. I give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I have at least one world that left running day and night for a week at a time once and the jungle is still there. Give it up already, it won't disappear on you anytime soon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Peachfart posted:

Okay, you can't read, I get it. I give up.

Ark needs to chill but you're also missing that corrupt stone can turn mud into dirt, but there's no such thing as corrupt dirt and normal rear end dirt won't contaminate anything else. So if there are continuous chains of rock every 3 tiles (the underground jungle doesn't have that) sure it'll slowly spread but since normal rear end dirt can't grow corrupt grass that far down it'll be limited to areas immediately near corrupt stone.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
yeah sorry this is kind of a pet peeve because people have been posting poo poo going :ohdear: over corruption eating the jungle for five years now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've literally never seen the underground jungle get actually run over by corruption/crimson in all the years this game has existed despite people always seeming to be worried as hell about it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've literally never seen the underground jungle get actually run over by corruption/crimson in all the years this game has existed despite people always seeming to be worried as hell about it

Yeah, it can't spread that far down the way the underground jungle is built, with wide open caverns and little stone instead of small tunnels with the occasional big open area. Also now chlorophyte will convert corrupt/crimson underground into more underground jungle.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

President Ark posted:

yeah sorry this is kind of a pet peeve because people have been posting poo poo going :ohdear: over corruption eating the jungle for five years now

I’m doing it because the dumb wiki says corruption will eventually take over the world but the timeline is unspecified - so I just wanted a bit of clarity on that point. if it really is just a matter of digging little fire breaks on the surface that’s a such a simpler prospect than etching out thousands of blocks of tunnels to protect an unsusceptible underground jungle that I wonder why there’s much debate about this.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do you have to manually add a character/world to cloud? I work away from home and I came home for the weekend expecting to load my game right up but only my older saves are there :negative:

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
While on biome spread talk, what happens when you enter Hardmode in the 05162020 seed? Do both corruption and crimson get half of the giant V?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Velius posted:

I’m doing it because the dumb wiki says corruption will eventually take over the world but the timeline is unspecified - so I just wanted a bit of clarity on that point. if it really is just a matter of digging little fire breaks on the surface that’s a such a simpler prospect than etching out thousands of blocks of tunnels to protect an unsusceptible underground jungle that I wonder why there’s much debate about this.
Gamers tend to be incredibly superstitious about this kind of thing. The overworld will eventually be taken over by Hallow and whatever type of corruption you have. The Jungle will never be gone, because it actively resists the changes. The underground Hallows and corruptions are also supposed to grow directly from stone block to stone block, but even in my longest-running world I never saw it expand much from the big V-shaped spread you get to start with when you enter Hardmode. If you do not plan to play for weeks or months non-stop, it will not be a problem.

codo27 posted:

Do you have to manually add a character/world to cloud? I work away from home and I came home for the weekend expecting to load my game right up but only my older saves are there :negative:
Yes, youd o. Presumably it's because worlds can get pretty big and you don't want every throwaway gathering world you make to get put on the cloud.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I've never seen a sword shrine so I looked up pictures of them on Google and it suggested this common search:

Someone tried to find sword shrines in real life :3:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

That Guy Bob posted:

While on biome spread talk, what happens when you enter Hardmode in the 05162020 seed? Do both corruption and crimson get half of the giant V?

It only pics one, but the other can still spread from the chasms or crimson cave.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I've never seen a sword shrine so I looked up pictures of them on Google and it suggested this common search:

god bless em i hope they find one and go on a magical adventure

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doesn't Chlorophyte basically fight back against the Corruption too?

Also I can understand wanting to dig trenches for the surface jungle because the surface jungle is pretty.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Takes 400 wall pieces to fully research. but money? Get 100 copper in 38 seconds (or have a pinky spawn on you immediately that drops over 1g) flip that into unlimited copper, into unlimited silver, into unlimited gold and unlimited plat. 4k plat in less than 5 minutes.

I started a new game, wondering why everything was loving wrecking me. Tried to set difficulty to 1.5, put it on max by accident

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Johnny Joestar posted:

god bless em i hope they find one and go on a magical adventure

From now on I will take every post ITT literally, as if being asked about real life

SirSamVimes posted:

Doesn't Chlorophyte basically fight back against the Corruption too?

No, corruption is caused by germs, and must be treated with anti-biotics. There are many miracle cures sold and they are to be avoided

SirSamVimes posted:

Also I can understand wanting to dig trenches for the surface jungle because the surface jungle is pretty.

Yes, the jungle surface is very pretty. Digging holes can be fun but it's hard work!

codo27 posted:

Takes 400 wall pieces to fully research. but money? Get 100 copper in 38 seconds (or have a pinky spawn on you immediately that drops over 1g) flip that into unlimited copper, into unlimited silver, into unlimited gold and unlimited plat. 4k plat in less than 5 minutes.

I think you meant to post this in TCC. Are you making a music video?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

codo27 posted:

I started a new game, wondering why everything was loving wrecking me. Tried to set difficulty to 1.5, put it on max by accident

This is a bug with the game currently. More than half the time, loving with the sliders will have the game go "NO, MAXIMUM ONLY."

Also this is anecdotal evidence, but I have actually had underground jungle tiles convert into corrupted grass tiles. Although that was back in 1.3. And to be fair they never did spread from that point.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No, corruption is caused by germs, and must be treated with anti-biotics. There are many miracle cures sold and they are to be avoided

the wiki posted:

Chlorophyte can grow in bigger chunks now.

Chlorophyte Ore is now allowed to revert Crimson and Corruption grass to normal Grass, and convert Dirt into Mud.

:colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds like homeopathy to me, ignore it.

DoubleNegative posted:

This is a bug with the game currently. More than half the time, loving with the sliders will have the game go "NO, MAXIMUM ONLY."
Really? I haven't had that happen to me even once yet.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

This happens to me a lot as well, with hilarious results.

You just want some peace and quiet so you can fish and when it's time to turn things back on it's zombie apocalypse.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like the change to make fossil armour available earlier, having a good ranged set that comes online at about the time you get a musket is real nice.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

codo27 posted:

fwiw 400 wall pieces is 100 of the block type, so it’s kinda the same

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it also takes 200 of a platform, because you can turn them back and forth at a 2:1 ratio. Same for ores and bars, although the game doesn't quite account for the fact that not all ores come in at a 4:1 conversion rate.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Same for ores and bars, although the game doesn't quite account for the fact that not all ores come in at a 4:1 conversion rate.

Ore and bars aren't quite the same since they only go in one direction. I got 25 meteorite bars from two chests well before a meteor landed on my world, but I won't be able to make meteorite bricks until I mine some ore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I just meant that it seems to account for the conversion factor, so even if you turn all your ores to bars right away it won't mean you need to collect four times as much ore to research bars.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Just a heads up, sounds like we’re taking my journey server to hard mode tonight so we have the weekend to play with the resultant situation.

Plan is currently: ~8PM Central time, we murder the Brisket Tower, so be there!

Group photo before we mess this world up:

And mid-fight, I generally can't even find my cursor during this nonsense:

And the result was...two of our NPC colonies got tagged, whoops!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Update on the server:

quote:

:siren:Nightwisher's Home for The Dead And Constantly Dying, REVISION 3 (the first one was literally impossible, the second one isn't impossible but only in theory so far it seems):siren:

IP: 173.237.46.20
Port: 7777
Password: g00nz
Seed: for the worthy
Difficulty: Journey Mode at MasterEXPERT difficulty locked
Seed: for the worthy (Basically the dark souls of terraria worldgen)
Please also use only fresh characters for this server! New players can be brought up to speed with duplication quickly but this is intended to be a "from nothing" experiment otherwise.

Thanks to everyone who has tried it so far! Hardmode is active and progression has been steady, WoF is down but all other bosses remain. We've got plenty of useful things researched so for anyone who wants to join will be up to speed with everyone else very quickly. Don't be afraid to join if you think we're too far into the game for you, or don't feel you're up for the challenge, because we could use as many people as possible regardless, the bosses have a billion health and damage and we need corpses to shovel into the death train's furnace. Join today!

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 26, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

And mid-fight, I generally can't even find my cursor during this nonsense:
Personal tip: you can set both a border color and a center color for your cursor. What I do is to select an uncommon and intense color for the center (such as medium red or blue) and then surround it with a border of pure white. You'll be able to pick it out instantly in front of nearly any background color - when the white wouldn't be visible, the red will be, and vice versa. It's one of the more useful tricks I've figured out over the years.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BisbyWorl posted:

"Hey, I should make a glowing mushroom farm, what's the worst that could happen?"

I overwrite my biome.

That's the worst that could happen.
There's one NPC that actually needs surface glowing mushroom biome to move in.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My friends were busy tonight, and I didn't want to do anything that actually involved progression without them. I decided to make a monument to the sad nerf we received last patch on the top of their base.

On the map.

I still need more owls to finish it off. Sadly, owls in terrariums don't hoot at all! THIS GAMEBREAKING BUG MUST BE FIXED!

I need to get some owl statues and wire them up to spawn owls in there as well, for the maximum owlsperience.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 23, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

codo27 posted:

For the tower defense thing, I used my sky road for starters. I put 2 lightning traps right in front of one portal and that will take care of all enemies until the wyverns, save sometimes a javelin guy will get through but only take one hit. Then put another two on the other side. From there its a combination of ballistas and fire rods midway between portal and crystal and a couple close to the crystal as well. It can be overwhelming but make sure to collect the mana and create more as it becomes available.

Use conveyor belts to bring the mana to you; monsters are not affected by conveyor belts so it won't bring them in faster, but it will bring their drops.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Does Honey require a special kind of bait or something? The bobber does not seem to want to go off when I'm honeyfishing in the underground jungle.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

The scarab bomb rules so hard, hellevators are much less tedious now.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Does Honey require a special kind of bait or something? The bobber does not seem to want to go off when I'm honeyfishing in the underground jungle.

You get a penalty for less than 300 'blocks' of liquid. At 50 'blocks' you can't fish successfully at all.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's a pretty big honey pool, I don't think that aspect is a problem.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its 200 units for honey but it might be like lava where there are no common/low tier catches so you only get a bite if its a rare

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Any tips for master mode moon lord? Can't just sit under some blocks to block the beam now. Minecart goes too fast and makes him teleport on you constantly and you barely don't move fast enough anyway to get outside the beam range. Flying saucer mount doesn't go fast enough to dodge it either

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Well now I want to take up smithing and stonecarving and install sword shrines as public art projects. :3:

Although there probably are a few sword-in-the-stone installations in areas that heavily identify with Arthurian legend as a tourist draw.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i haven't reached moon lord in my master playthrough yet, but my recollection is that you can either try to moderate your speed with the minecart to keep ahead of the boss while using the rod of discord to dodge beam attacks (iirc the teleport will keep you in the minecart, so there's not actually much risk), or go so fast that the boss teleports constantly, which seems bad but in my experience tended to reduce the amount of damage you take while letting you keep away from the tendril that cancels healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
They might not be good for killing much other than critters but setting a bunch of dart traps up really makes it start to feel like a proper fortress.