Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

World End Economica sounds a lot like Elysium (the Blomkamp film) just based on the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm not sure if 'waste your bandwidth to download half life so you can start it and then uninstall it again' is the best theme for an event, but you do you steam.

Edit: Cool the old SAM program still works and counts as being 'in game', silly badge done

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 22, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Alright alright here I go

Best Visual Novels On Steam:

[...]

***It's okay if you don't like anime, but please don't tell me, I don't care. Yeah, some of these probably have problematic elements in them. I don't care. If anyone tries to tell me anime is bad or gross I will tell you all about Subahibi, my least favorite visual novel on steam.

I've picked up a couple of those (Phoenix Wright, Hatoful, Silver Case, the Question Arc of Uminekoo) and I've some of the others on my wishlist for a while (428, Kindred Spirits, Fata Morgana).

I've no problem with anime. I'm not as much of an anime fan as when I was younger, but I don't have any contempt for the genre/medium.

The 'effort' thing was kind of inline with what you said about some games being extremely long, and the fact that they're mostly text with various decisions interspersed throughout. It's one of those kinds of thing where you have to be in the right mood to sit down and go through one. It's not an issue with the games, but more so personal discipline.

One thing that does disappoint me is that there isn't more of a selection for some older titles. Some like Ever17 (done by the writer for 999) I don't think have seen a digital release, I suppose because of rights issues or something. Then there's others like EVE Burst Error, which MangaGamer sells on their site, but not on Steam, and I can't figure out why.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Max Wilco posted:

I've picked up a couple of those (Phoenix Wright, Hatoful, Silver Case, the Question Arc of Uminekoo) and I've some of the others on my wishlist for a while (428, Kindred Spirits, Fata Morgana).

I've no problem with anime. I'm not as much of an anime fan as when I was younger, but I don't have any contempt for the genre/medium.

The 'effort' thing was kind of inline with what you said about some games being extremely long, and the fact that they're mostly text with various decisions interspersed throughout. It's one of those kinds of thing where you have to be in the right mood to sit down and go through one. It's not an issue with the games, but more so personal discipline.

One thing that does disappoint me is that there isn't more of a selection for some older titles. Some like Ever17 (done by the writer for 999) I don't think have seen a digital release, I suppose because of rights issues or something. Then there's others like EVE Burst Error, which MangaGamer sells on their site, but not on Steam, and I can't figure out why.

I would give my left kidney for a steam release of Animamundi, my favorite visual novel. Unfortunately the company that localized it and brought it over is long dead and the only option is piracy. :sigh:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The PC really has a lack of cheerful 3D platformers, doesn’t it? I haven’t owned a console in many years (though I played Mario Odyssey on my roommate’s switch) so I don’t know if they’ve just fallen out of style as a whole or if the PC doesn’t get them.

I have already played Psychonauts, and it sounded like Yooka Laylee was pretty joyless. Am I missing a big title?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hat in time

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anonymous Robot posted:

The PC really has a lack of cheerful 3D platformers, doesn’t it? I haven’t owned a console in many years (though I played Mario Odyssey on my roommate’s switch) so I don’t know if they’ve just fallen out of style as a whole or if the PC doesn’t get them.

I have already played Psychonauts, and it sounded like Yooka Laylee was pretty joyless. Am I missing a big title?

The Spyro remakes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Has anyone tried the turn-based tactical RPG Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? If so, what are the good points and weak points of the game?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 22, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Spyro remakes.
oh yeah theres crash as well

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Awesome! posted:

hat in time

I’d never heard of this before. It looks nice!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Awesome! posted:

oh yeah theres crash as well

Crash Remaster is really good, highly recommend.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Has anyone tried the turn-based tactical RPG Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? If so, what are the good points and weak points of the game?
If you have ever played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, it's basically exactly like that game. The biggest downside I've found so far is that the gameplay is incredibly slow, just like FFTA. As in, slow in terms of how quickly things happen. I've sat through more than a few fights where I just went "Christ, please let me be done with this already" because everything takes so long.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
You can experience nearly the entire twisted saga of Sonic the Hedgehog on Steam now. Unfortunately they weren't cool enough to port the ones where Sonic marries a human lady and shoots cops.

Edit: Also Half Life is basically a mascot platformer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Orv posted:

I probably win some kind of idiot prize for this.

:puckout:

This is so weird, like Lost Planet travelled back in time to steal the first place of your list.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I got HL2 Deathmatch recommended to me as part of the "first games you ever got" lineup. It got me wondering if this game even has active players or servers.

Turns out that yes, people still play HL2 Deathmatch and are actively posting on the discussion forum about wanting to find players, before the event even. Wow.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

If you have ever played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, it's basically exactly like that game. The biggest downside I've found so far is that the gameplay is incredibly slow, just like FFTA. As in, slow in terms of how quickly things happen. I've sat through more than a few fights where I just went "Christ, please let me be done with this already" because everything takes so long.

Cheat engine has a generic speed hack built in now that works for the vast majority of games. Once I found that out I can never play a game at 1x speed again. Made AC Odyssey and Cultist Simulator alone tens times more enjoyable to play.

Highly recommend for everyone who ever thought a game would move from good to great if it was faster.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Randallteal posted:

You can experience nearly the entire twisted saga of Sonic the Hedgehog on Steam now. Unfortunately they weren't cool enough to port the ones where Sonic marries a human lady and shoots cops.
People would totally ironically buy and gift a Sonic 2006 release.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Edit: Also Half Life is basically a mascot platformer.

That’s true, Generations was pretty good.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

I’m doing a contest with a game most of you likely already own: Dungeons of Dredmor. Giving out two prizes, and you can win both:

A)Post your best Dungeons of Dredmor score this week (this is going to involve the honor system l)
and
B)Give the funniest backstory for their character class choices (this will be super subjective)

Both will get their games 5/29.

I put over 630 hours in this game, but haven't touched it since 2013. Not sure if I want to get back into it again, but anyone giving away games deserves at least a bump.
Unless this is a ruse to give away copies of Bad Rats.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I’m doing a contest with a game most of you likely already own: Dungeons of Dredmor. Giving out two prizes, and you can win both:

A)Post your best Dungeons of Dredmor score this week (this is going to involve the honor system l)
and
B)Give the funniest backstory for their character class choices (this will be super subjective)

Both will get their games 5/29.

I own this game and I love/hate everything about it. This is a good giveaway and learn to love the haywire.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Objective Action posted:

Cheat engine has a generic speed hack built in now that works for the vast majority of games. Once I found that out I can never play a game at 1x speed again. Made AC Odyssey and Cultist Simulator alone tens times more enjoyable to play.

Highly recommend for everyone who ever thought a game would move from good to great if it was faster.
Oh yeah, that speedhack also works in the other direction, doesn't it? I usually only use it to hack bullet times into games I find a bit too twitchy. Thanks for the advice.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

anilEhilated posted:

People would totally ironically buy and gift a Sonic 2006 release.

I'm on the record that if that thing had six more months in the oven it would have been a completely competent game with a WTF story.

So basically, modders would probably make it a worthwhile title.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1263796803364728836

:siren:

e: to be clear these are all SHMUPs and lots of fun!!!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zedd posted:

I own this game and I love/hate everything about it. This is a good giveaway and learn to love the haywire.

It can be frustrating but it’s a lot of fun as far as a light rogue like goes. The crafting can be a lot of fun, and just hitting random for character classes can make some truly fun and bizarre combos.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gromit posted:

I put over 630 hours in this game, but haven't touched it since 2013. Not sure if I want to get back into it again, but anyone giving away games deserves at least a bump.
Unless this is a ruse to give away copies of Bad Rats.

If this is legit, maybe it would be better to do it in a separate thread? There's a lot of new posts in this thread and it's easy to lose track.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

I haven't, but that does help a bit. So slow gameplay. That's not normally a big problem for me, but I'm assuming that you mean slow in the sense that "this fight is no longer a challenge, but it'll still take 2-10 minutes to finish."

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Fell Seal is an incredibly faithful modern realization of a pretty outdated type of game, that being the FFT SRPG. If you are the type of person who put thousands of hours into FFT, it'll lovingly massage the itch that you may have forgotten about. But I agree with the previous comment: you might play it and think it's a bit of an outdated model, mainly in that the basic gameplay is just pretty slow. If it had a few more speed-up options, like turning off animations or something (or, as suggested, just a straight-up fast forward button), I'd give it a full recommendation, like I did earlier in this thread when I was still in my first 10 hours or so. As it stands, I'd only give it a strong rec for aforementioned FFT people.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I haven't, but that does help a bit. So slow gameplay. That's not normally a big problem for me, but I'm assuming that you mean slow in the sense that "this fight is no longer a challenge, but it'll still take 2-10 minutes to finish."

If you're thinking about starting it now, you might want to wait 1-2 months for the expansion DLC to come out. They've recommended that it's one of those "fresh game" types of DLCs, rather than just adding a new story or whatnot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Angry Lobster posted:

If this is legit, maybe it would be better to do it in a separate thread? There's a lot of new posts in this thread and it's easy to lose track.

Hmm. There’s the giveaway thread but that pulls a different audience since it’s in PGS. Maybe I’ll PM VG and see if making a contest thread in Games proper would be kosher?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Basically speaking, yes. Movement is slow, casting animations are slow, turn changes are slow. I haven't gotten far enough into it yet to speak to the actual pace of the game as such, but it seems pretty alright - after three or four hours of playing I already unlocked the majority of the classes available to me at this point.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
DayZ has a free weekend. Is the game worth trying out or is it still a buggy lovely mess?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Don't worry about the fact that all these touhou shmups are in Japanese. There's a translation program which you can use to automatically patch all touhou games into your language of choice.

I highly recommend trying out Impossible Spell Card. You only have to focus on dodging one spell card, but those spell cards are pretty hard to dodge. Fortunately, your girl stole items that let her break the rules. Break 'em!

In other news, DemonCrawl is getting a massive free expansion on June 2nd.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think I still have the lead and good god I would love to be proven wrong

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

What the gently caress. I didn’t even think there were that many games on Steam.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

9 times out of 10 when i see "the joe man now owns xxxx" ive never heard of it before

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What the gently caress. I didn’t even think there were that many games on Steam.
It has about 30000, so dude owns about a third of all the games available on Steam. drat.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
^That's an old number now.

AHAHAHA, dang. You're my goal. I just need a higher credit limit.

I want to say Steam has near 50K games at this point. Maybe 45K. I don't know how to find out for sure.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had no idea about this supposedly awesome Saints Row 3 remaster and did some research to find out it's EGS exclusive lol. It's crazy how many games fly under the radar because they decided to sign an exclusivity deal with Epic.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
95% of the poo poo I have was funded by marketplace grifting or selling lucky drops. Like I just recently had a random CS:GO skin that dropped a year ago and I sat on it until it hit the $900's and sold it. Can't play the market like you used to with the newer trade/sale delays they've implemented.

I'm broke as hell otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have 33 games on Steam, and my first three were Portal (I got it for free; it was why I signed up for Steam like a decade ago, it was also my only Steam game for a while), Dungeons of Dredmor, and Borderlands.