Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Didn't they release a 2d Yooka-Laylee that's supposed to be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bows1 posted:

Woe is me :(

Speaking of , Im back on the bird boss and forgot how fuckin hard he is. And the boss run is the worst in the game I think

But it the rooftops full of purple is a great way to farm skills.

Go inside the castle and reactivate the sculptor's statues. One of them is right underneath the boss arena, the room next to the dojo.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

WaltherFeng posted:

Go inside the castle and reactivate the sculptor's statues. One of them is right underneath the boss arena, the room next to the dojo.

Yeah there’s another mini boss in there plus a purple guy. poo poo sucks! Edit - also yes if you have 2 beers the game gets much harder

bows1 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 22, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

man nurse posted:

I bought yooka-laylee for a tenner and so far I’m not sure why this game was so derided, it’s pretty much exactly what it advertised itself to be?

To elaborate on what others have said: when it first came out it didn’t have a full 3D camera, which was loving awful.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Yooka Laylee does nothing to establish itself as its own game. It’s a functional reskin/pallet swap of Banjo-Kazooie. I got it for free from EGS and played it for like 4 hours and Banjo Kazooie is just the exact same game but better. I wanted a game in the style of Banjo-Kazooie, not a weird remake of Banjo-Kazooie.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Necrothatcher posted:

Have you played Bloodborne?

Yes. I stopped playing that when it got too hard. At some castle that had like crazy radiation, killing you if you stood in it for too long.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shut up blegum posted:

Yes. I stopped playing that when it got too hard. At some castle that had like crazy radiation, killing you if you stood in it for too long.

That's the last level, for what it's worth

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

acksplode posted:

Yeah we're done here.

Neither of us increased the overall sum of human understanding, or even successfully met in the middle, but we also didn't question each others moral or intellectual capacity, so by internet discussion standards I feel like this was a win.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Lobok posted:

It's been too many years to remember all the detail but Saints Row 2 felt like the spiritual sequel to GTA III for me and had lots of little quality-of-life improvements to mechanics and controls that made it less aggravating to play compared to GTA 3 and Vice City. SR3 and 4 start to get a little too over-the-top for me but 2 was perfect.

Yeah, whereas the first Saints Row plays it completely straight with being a San Andreas knockoff (a fairly good one for what it's worth), SR2 embraced a much lighter tone and gave players more opportunities for mayhem and truly wrecking the sandbox, unlike Rockstar that preferred to only occasionally let players run wild with cool toys, and usually in a controlled, scripted situation.

SR2 especially got a lot of good press for being the anti-GTA IV, being released six months later. Much of GTA IV's hype had died down by then and there was some backlash against it, as it had become apparent that Rockstar had gotten interested in immersive, cinematic simulations where your every input can have punishing consequences, and many people hadn't come to GTA IV expecting that. For contrast, SR2 didn't take the narrative very seriously and let you play dress up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Control is really fun. It is nice to play a third person shooter that isn't cover based.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

shut up blegum posted:

Lol that's the same place I stopped

Anyway horizon zero dawn is cool, the combat is fun and it doesn't really have a whole lot of crafting in it

Also control is really good and fun to play to.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

Deep Space 9 is the best show, don’t let the grognards fool you.

I'm a bunch of chapters in and I really really like the tone and I get why Sisko (still a commander) is the best captain. Also props for DS9 being the tv show with the first interracial kiss and knowing that is not THAT old, is kind of mindblowing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn’t TOS the first interracial kiss

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DS9 has the first gay kiss, I think, at least In Terms of Star Trek

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Yes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Escobarbarian posted:

I assume you mean on TV.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

blackguy32 posted:

Control is really fun. It is nice to play a third person shooter that isn't cover based.

Some of the bosses still required I hide behind cover, though maybe I should've upgraded the wall power more. I hardly ever used it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Escobarbarian posted:

On American TV, yeah. Basically Shatner and Nichols got around the censors (or producers?) who didn't want the kiss to happen by intentionally botching take after take of the scene except for the one that aired so it was the only viable shot. Like, Shatner would cross his eyes or make a goofy face or look right at the camera for every other take. Within the context of the episode it's not great because Kirk is essentially mind-controlled into doing it but oh well. TOS tended to be two steps forward and one step back when it came to stuff like that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Bayonetta/Vanquish remaster is some lazy poo poo but it runs at 60fps

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ok took out the bird. First boss I had to kite instead of standing toe to toe with. But i have no regrets

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Necrothatcher posted:

What was the last revolutionary console by your standards? The Wii?

Dreamcast :colbert: going from tekken 3 to soul calibur was mental

and then going online with people from loving japan in phantasy star online, years before xbox and playstation even started on the concept of console online gaming. Some other games even had crossplay! You could play quake 3 with pc players.

Dreamcast's influence is so much greater than people give it credit for

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Dreamcast was cool but its controller was poo poo. It really could have used two more buttons and another joystick. Six face buttons would have been fine and put it in line with other Sega consoles if they didn't want to use four shoulder buttons. The lack of a right joystick made good camera control pretty much impossible on the system.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh yeah definitely. For Quake 3 you had to use the XYAB buttons for movement, and the left stick for aiming. It works better than it sounds but it was funky for its time. The less said about Unreal Tournament's unholy control scheme the better. But both games supported the Dreamcast m/kb at least!

The lack of a second joystick also primed us for monster hunter, PSO kickstarted the whole press-button-to-reset-camera-angle thing. Even to this day that's what I use.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One is the worst amount of joysticks on a game pad.
Two or zero are both better options.

Don't post the N64 controller, it's an abomination

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Quantum of Phallus posted:

One is the worst amount of joysticks on a game pad.
Two or zero are both better options.

Don't post the N64 controller, it's an abomination

One's fine if it's an actual full sized flight stick. They should have made an N64 controller like that. Pilotwings and Starfox would have been sick.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Dreamcast :colbert: going from tekken 3 to soul calibur was mental

and then going online with people from loving japan in phantasy star online, years before xbox and playstation even started on the concept of console online gaming. Some other games even had crossplay! You could play quake 3 with pc players.

Dreamcast's influence is so much greater than people give it credit for

Online gaming on a console was loving nuts I'm still in contact with several people I played PSO with 20 years ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That first night of Phantasy Star Online when it sunk in that I was playing with another person on the internet, on my TV, was one of the most mindblowing gaming experiences of my life.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I spent ages 13-15 getting about 4 hours of sleep a night because I was up late on Quake 3 and PSO and IRC, a formative era in my childhood that imparted a rich tapestry of permanent brain damage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jimbot posted:

I posted this elsewhere too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2Us_C1FTE

Looks like they really put the work in the Saints Row 3 remaster. My interest shot up after watching that video!

i didn't watch it in detail, but i typically don't like when a remaster messes with the lightning and overall look of a game.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone here try out maneater ?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The online connectivity of the Dreamcast was a little less exciting to me, as I had already wasted hundreds of hours of my youth playing Quake, Half-Life and its mods (Counter-Strike, TFC), and Total Annihilation. It was cool, but the novelty wasn't quite there.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I, too, spent hours on my HUmar getting sweet katana and hating goes to Caves* (but Mines owned). I played a little bit of PSO version 2 much later and it was good, too.

* - The boss at Caves was great, as was the music.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

shut up blegum posted:

I watched 3 minutes of the quick look for HZD and it looks like that's another game where you hunt down 10 animals to craft a better weapon to hunt down the next 10 animals etc.
Well that was a lovely fuckin' quick look because it's not like that at all. There is some crafting but you can ignore it completely. Weapons can be bought or earned, you don't have to kill stuff to make them and the "money" you get just from doing what you're gonna be doing in the game. It's really good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they were able to do a remaster of Saints Row II with working coop I'd shell $60 out for it. That game is such dumb fun. If you haven't played it there's an LP on the forums that you should at least watch a couple episodes of to get an idea of the insanity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SubponticatePoster posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they were able to do a remaster of Saints Row II with working coop I'd shell $60 out for it. That game is such dumb fun. If you haven't played it there's an LP on the forums that you should at least watch a couple episodes of to get an idea of the insanity.

Yeah I would've been waaaay more interested in a SR2 remaster. Especially since you can't decently play that game on PC.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

shut up blegum posted:

I don't know what game to play next...
The last 2 games I finished were Spiderman and AC: Origins. I was recommended AC: Odyssey, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Control or Detroit Become Human.
I don't think I want to get into another AC game. I watched 3 minutes of the quick look for HZD and it looks like that's another game where you hunt down 10 animals to craft a better weapon to hunt down the next 10 animals etc. Control & Detroit don't look like games I'd enjoy. I don't like that futuristic setting.
Any other recommendations? Maybe a PS Plus game from the last couple of months I missed? I claim them all, but haven't downloaded most of those...

HZD is way better than what you saw. One of my favorites of this generation

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think that HZD has you hunt down things for armor and the better weapons are just sold in shops further into the game than the starting area you're in.

Aside from that your usual crafting is healing potions and ammo.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The environments in Death Stranding have made me realize how badly I want a third person Decima engine game set on the Steppes.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The first time I fought him I got maybe 2/3rds off his health on phase 2, I've came that close again maybe twice out of 40+ attempts, haha

To some extent, I saw a video which said you should bait out his poop attack and run underneath him but it doesn't feel natural to me, I'm not against cheesy strats though

If this is a real roadblock for you watch a video of some guy on YouTube defeating him flawlessly (you can turn it off before the kill if you don't want to see the death blow spoiler I suppose) and listen to the rhythm of the second stage deflects done right. Honestly once you get the exact timing if the button taps down the 2nd stage of the boss becomes simple.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I would've been waaaay more interested in a SR2 remaster. Especially since you can't decently play that game on PC.

Not yet, but Volition did find the old source code bundle and has a small team working on unfucking the PC port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

A friend and I used to kill hours dicking around. After they killed the online servers he still comes over to my house and plays (I have 2 ps3s and bought an extra copy since it was like $4) when he's in town visiting. We tried looking up how to get it working on PC but it was such a hassle we gave up and now it's just LAN parties maybe once a year. It's visually aged terribly, but there are so many little details like the buildings you can go into, the mall, and all the stupid business names and side missions.