Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not the same writer, but there was an episode of Transformers where the Decepticons bring an asteroid into earth orbit so they can mine it for something, and it turns out to be an egg for a giant alien bird monster thing. I wonder if David Wise "borrowed" the idea from Superfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The best part is where they just gently caress off into space again to buy sex at a different planet and have a freeze-frame laugh, just forgetting the planet where multiple people are dead and their grieving families have no idea who murdered them or why.

The otherwise upbeat anime for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure had a somber moment where the narration says while it was good that the serial-killer got his head crushed by an ambulance, it doesn't help that none of his victims' families get any closure.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sunswipe posted:

Not the same writer, but there was an episode of Transformers where the Decepticons bring an asteroid into earth orbit so they can mine it for something, and it turns out to be an egg for a giant alien bird monster thing. I wonder if David Wise "borrowed" the idea from Superfriends.

Can't forget the same concept appearing in TNG. Encounter at Farpoint

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

There's an old short story Venus Enslaved in which Venus was colonized by people fleeing Cromwell.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maigius posted:

There's an old short story Venus Enslaved in which Venus was colonized by people fleeing Cromwell.

How could you not read something by Manly Wade Wellman?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sunswipe posted:

In Beast Wars, which takes place a few million years ago, I think, there are two moons initially, but then one of them is a giant loving alien laser or something, and blasts Earth and turns half the transformers into the transmetals.

I know this instead of all the presidents.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Weird. Hideo Kojima was born in 1963, but somehow named Manly Wade Wellman sixty years prior.

e: Part of the problem Beast Wars had was that setting it on prehistoric Earth wasn't decided until partway through the series. This wasn't helped by the decision to make Beast Wars part of G1 continuity. Compounding the issue is that Beast Wars drools, G1 rules.

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 00:22 on May 21, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sunswipe posted:

Weird. Hideo Kojima was born in 1963, but somehow named Manly Wade Wellman sixty years prior.

e: Part of the problem Beast Wars had was that setting it on prehistoric Earth wasn't decided until partway through the series. This wasn't helped by the decision to make Beast Wars part of G1 continuity. Compounding the issue is that Beast Wars drools, G1 rules.

LOL G1 is loving terrible. I dare you to watch the pilot through as an adult.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

wrong thread

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:07 on May 21, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

LOL G1 is loving terrible. I dare you to watch the pilot through as an adult.

Again? Not sure what that'll prove, but ok.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

lol, you watch G1 as an adult? Pfffffhaha, what are you, a moron? I'm off to watch the sophisticated adult TV show that is named Beast Wars

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Tiggum posted:

The best thing about Code of Honor is that the writer turned in the exact same story for an episode of Stargate SG-1, and it's just as bad the second time.

Wait, what? My wife is a HUGE fan of SG1, and now I need to ask her opinion of that episode. Which one was it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Comstar posted:

Wait, what? My wife is a HUGE fan of SG1, and now I need to ask her opinion of that episode. Which one was it?

Season one, episode three: Emancipation.

Wikipedia posted:

SG-1 visits a planet inhabited by the Shavadai, a nomadic tribe descended from the Mongols. They regard women as property, and restrict their rights in the belief that to do otherwise would bring "demons" (the Goa'uld) down upon them. Carter ends up being 'sold', but when Carter beats a chieftain in hand-to-hand combat, the team changes the tribe's opinions about the rights of women.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love to beat men up until they become feminist

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does this guy maybe have a specific fetish? I feel like science fiction was the place to go for barely-concealed weird-horny before the internet.

Like Gene Roddenberry made two pilots in the 70s about John Saxon exploring different communities on a post-apocalyptic Earth, and in both of them the story is about John Saxon going to a country of dominaxtrixes. I'm not reading into anything there: it says it on the back of the box.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You're right except it was Alex Cord (Archangel in Airwolf) who was the lead in one of them. Otherwise, yeah, Roddenberry basically made the same thing twice trying to get the idea off the ground.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

Season one, episode three: Emancipation.

The whole first season wasn't great

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Criminally overlooked shooting game Binary Domain is bonkers.

It's set in the near-future where robots are numerous and useful and some forms of AI are even around. You are part of a multinational team of badasses called the Rust Crew that tracks down and violently retires rogue robots. The CEO of the biggest robotics company is very old, highly reclusive and eccentric, and obsessed with perfecting human-like AI. So, pretty standard stuff so far. Your team meets up with another branch of the Rust Crew (that includes a Chinese woman the main character almost instantly falls in love with, and a robot that styles himself after a French revolutionary complete with outrageous accent and tricolor handkerchief) to take on a new threat, and if you've seen any kind of robot sci-fi media then you see the twist coming miles away: robots that look like people! They're infiltrating society! Doing insidious things at the behest of mystery CEO man, probably! They're your standard Terminator/Snatcher types, in that they are a robot skeleton covered in a layer of synthetic flesh. This is important, because then the game hits you with the next, most incredibly dumbest twist:

Robot babies. Specifically, robot/human hybrid babies. This was the big CEO guy's master plan (it shouldn't surprise you to find out he's an AI, too, presiding over an empty and entirely automated office high-rise/robot factory). Create a master race of robot/human superhybrids to unite and bring peace to the world. These hybrids look and scan as 100% human with human brains and free will and all, but have all the strength, speed, and whatever else of a robot(?), and wouldn't you know it, the love interest happens to be one! So she immediately goes berserk and turns on the Rust Crew for some reason and your main character defects and joins her because of course he does. There's a big relationship system in the game that determines how well your team gets along and how this all ultimately shakes out, though if I remember right the French robot sacrifices himself for you in the name of love and there's no way to save him so who cares.

I just have so many questions. Are there little robot sperms? Robot ova? Did not one of these apparent billions of Snatchers ever suffer more than a surface injury in the 30+ years they've been around? Did their offspring just never think it was weird they were absolutely destroying the other kids at kickball? Was there never a local student athlete of the week like "Meet Rachel Smith, she is 100% human and not a robot but has a 4.00 GPA and is captain of her basketball team with her 80-foot vertical leap!"?

Anyways, it's a good game and always on sale, and the robots fall apart and blow up real good, so you should go experience the madness for yourself if you're so inclined.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

SkeletonHero posted:

It's set in the near-future where robots are numerous and useful and some forms of AI are even around. You are part of a multinational team of badasses called the Rust Crew that tracks down and violently retires rogue robots. The CEO of the biggest robotics company is very old, highly reclusive and eccentric, and obsessed with perfecting human-like AI. So, pretty standard stuff so far. Your team meets up with another branch of the Rust Crew (that includes a Chinese woman the main character almost instantly falls in love with, and a robot that styles himself after a French revolutionary complete with outrageous accent and tricolor handkerchief) to take on a new threat, and if you've seen any kind of robot sci-fi media then you see the twist coming miles away: robots that look like people! They're infiltrating society! Doing insidious things at the behest of mystery CEO man, probably! They're your standard Terminator/Snatcher types, in that they are a robot skeleton covered in a layer of synthetic flesh. This is important, because then the game hits you with the next, most incredibly dumbest twist:

Robot babies. Specifically, robot/human hybrid babies. This was the big CEO guy's master plan (it shouldn't surprise you to find out he's an AI, too, presiding over an empty and entirely automated office high-rise/robot factory). Create a master race of robot/human superhybrids to unite and bring peace to the world. These hybrids look and scan as 100% human with human brains and free will and all, but have all the strength, speed, and whatever else of a robot(?), and wouldn't you know it, the love interest happens to be one! So she immediately goes berserk and turns on the Rust Crew for some reason and your main character defects and joins her because of course he does. There's a big relationship system in the game that determines how well your team gets along and how this all ultimately shakes out, though if I remember right the French robot sacrifices himself for you in the name of love and there's no way to save him so who cares.

I just have so many questions. Are there little robot sperms? Robot ova? Did not one of these apparent billions of Snatchers ever suffer more than a surface injury in the 30+ years they've been around? Did their offspring just never think it was weird they were absolutely destroying the other kids at kickball? Was there never a local student athlete of the week like "Meet Rachel Smith, she is 100% human and not a robot but has a 4.00 GPA and is captain of her basketball team with her 80-foot vertical leap!"?

Anyways, it's a good game and always on sale, and the robots fall apart and blow up real good, so you should go experience the madness for yourself if you're so inclined.

I remember always seeing 20 copies of this game on sale in trade-in stores for like £3

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Does this guy maybe have a specific fetish? I feel like science fiction was the place to go for barely-concealed weird-horny before the internet.

Oh, that’s crazy talk. Now let me tell you all about my theory of race essentialism and why women are simply too emotional to

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SkeletonHero posted:

if you've seen any kind of robot sci-fi media then you see the twist coming miles away: robots that look like people! They're infiltrating society!

I'm just gonna say that it's not really a twist. It happens in the opening cutscene, and is one of the reasons Rust Crew got sent in. It was actually kind of hosed up, too, with one bloodily ripping his own human face off while having a breakdown about not being human.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

So this plot element occurs in Detroit: Become Human (a bad game) and 2064: Read Only Memories (a good game).

In both games, humans have non-sentient slave robots. In both games, one robot gains the ability to “imbue” any other robot they see with sentience. This is seen as good in both games.

However, no one ever addresses that these robots are essentially turning household appliances into slaves. It’s like saying “oh, my toaster doesn’t have rights, that’s so tragic”, then giving your toaster sentience and telling it “you’re alive! Hooray! Btw you’re only allowed to loving sit there and make toast”

Like, the robots both want to free the sentient robots, but only after they’re granted sentience. They’re essentially creating a problem and then trying to fix it. No one ever says “if sentient robots won’t be accepted as equals, isn’t it hosed up to create sentient robots?”

Tbf, Read Only Memories is a fairly well-written and smart game and I think there is a more narrative reason in that game for doing what you do.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Calico Heart posted:

So this plot element occurs in Detroit: Become Human (a bad game) and 2064: Read Only Memories (a good game).

In both games, humans have non-sentient slave robots. In both games, one robot gains the ability to “imbue” any other robot they see with sentience. This is seen as good in both games.

However, no one ever addresses that these robots are essentially turning household appliances into slaves. It’s like saying “oh, my toaster doesn’t have rights, that’s so tragic”, then giving your toaster sentience and telling it “you’re alive! Hooray! Btw you’re only allowed to loving sit there and make toast”

Like, the robots both want to free the sentient robots, but only after they’re granted sentience. They’re essentially creating a problem and then trying to fix it. No one ever says “if sentient robots won’t be accepted as equals, isn’t it hosed up to create sentient robots?”

Tbf, Read Only Memories is a fairly well-written and smart game and I think there is a more narrative reason in that game for doing what you do.

Yeah, ROM was loads of fun, but that is messed up. There is a short story in one of the recent Analogs that describes a world where smart appliances have unionized.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I started listening to one of the Star Wars EU novels on CD. I got as far as:
1. there are Dark Jedi, who are evil, but not Sith
2. You can protect yourself from Force powers by carrying some alien rodent.
Then I turned it off.

You could probably make a whole thread with silly/weird/stupid stuff from the Extended Universe. I've only heard of it second-hand, but the point where authors were having slapfights over canon in a single series (Mandalorians are the best! Well, now they're DEAD! NUH UH!) is a highlight (or a lowlight, depending on your point of view).

Do Star Trek novels count for this? Cause that seems like cheating.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
(2) comes from one of the best and earliest bits of the EU.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dumbest thing in the Star Wars EU had to be the repeated return of Palpatine. "Hey, we can make all new Star Wars stories with no constraints! Let's just do the Original Trilogy over and over again!" Thank god Disney made the EU non-canon so they could tell exciting, all-new stories.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Cobalt-60 posted:

I started listening to one of the Star Wars EU novels on CD. I got as far as:
1. there are Dark Jedi, who are evil, but not Sith
2. You can protect yourself from Force powers by carrying some alien rodent.
Then I turned it off.

You could probably make a whole thread with silly/weird/stupid stuff from the Extended Universe. I've only heard of it second-hand, but the point where authors were having slapfights over canon in a single series (Mandalorians are the best! Well, now they're DEAD! NUH UH!) is a highlight (or a lowlight, depending on your point of view).

Do Star Trek novels count for this? Cause that seems like cheating.

One of my favourite old GB threads was exactly this! "What's the worst thing in the EU" I think it was called, and it went for many hundreds of pages

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Calico Heart posted:

I think it's because they (the robots who do this) see all robots as sentient, just not...'awoken', I guess. So it's not that they're creating sentient robots, they're just showing them how to think for themselves (the fact that the robots who become sentient still remember vividly the things that occurred before their awakening I think shows this).

I just dislike any storyline where it shows society as a whole treating robots and such like poo poo for no reason. These days people would absolutely never do that, since a) those things are expensive, and b) people have pet robots that are little more than paperweights with wheels and grow at least somewhat attached to them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I think it's because they (the robots who do this) see all robots as sentient, just not...'awoken', I guess. So it's not that they're creating sentient robots, they're just showing them how to think for themselves (the fact that the robots who become sentient still remember vividly the things that occurred before their awakening I think shows this).

That's how it worked in Detroit. Sentience could be granted by a sentient robot spreading it to a non-sentient, but sentience could also develop on its own. The robots were all designed to be capable of sentience (except for their creator's personal sexbot harem. they don't get sentience :shepface:), they just had restrictions programmed on their AI. The player characters develop sentience by fighting and breaking through the programmed restrictions on their AIs (by having you literally break through red digital walls), and there were multiple other robots who gained sentience after being put through extreme trauma that forced them to fight their programming to not die.

It helps that the robots in Detroit are all externally indistinguishable from humans to the point that they are required to have a (easily removed) glowing marker on the side of their head, instead of giving sentience to, say, an arm on a production line.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Schubalts posted:

That's how it worked in Detroit. Sentience could be granted by a sentient robot spreading it to a non-sentient, but sentience could also develop on its own. The robots were all designed to be capable of sentience (except for their creator's personal sexbot harem. they don't get sentience :shepface:), they just had restrictions programmed on their AI. The player characters develop sentience by fighting and breaking through the programmed restrictions on their AIs (by having you literally break through red digital walls), and there were multiple other robots who gained sentience after being put through extreme trauma that forced them to fight their programming to not die.

It helps that the robots in Detroit are all externally indistinguishable from humans to the point that they are required to have a (easily removed) glowing marker on the side of their head, instead of giving sentience to, say, an arm on a production line.

If you were building sexbots would you want them to be sentient?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sunswipe posted:

The problem with modern Who is it's made by fanboys.

See also: Neil Gaiman's incredibly bad episode, which is entirely about how the Doctor is in love with his time machine, which has a consciousness that has been helpfully embodied in a nearby sexy dead woman (freshly killed at the beginning of the episode and never mentioned again, because it's not really Doctor Who unless it's cavalier about women suffering, I guess?). It's just transparently Gaiman's dumb fanboy ideas at full episode length, and it's interminable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Significantly better than his other episode, the one about how Neil Gaiman really wishes he could write Borg stories for Star Trek, but that one isn't funny bad, just bad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That's a shame, because his one Babylon 5 episode, Day of the Dead, is really good.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I've seen very little Dr Who and am happy with that

I think I've seen maybe one full episode. In it a woman was turned into a Dalek and Dr Who says to her at one point "no you're still human in there, because you're afraid! That's a human emotion, you're still you!!!!"

The literal same episode the Doctor addresses a room of Daleks who ask him to do something for them because they're too scared to do it themselves lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schubalts posted:

I'm just gonna say that it's not really a twist. It happens in the opening cutscene, and is one of the reasons Rust Crew got sent in. It was actually kind of hosed up, too, with one bloodily ripping his own human face off while having a breakdown about not being human.

Yep it’s pretty rad.

https://youtu.be/TrFlDwTj74c

Despite its problems I really liked Binary Domain’s story, and the gameplay is pretty fun too.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Mr.Radar posted:

The other week I randomly caught an episode of the 1980s TV series Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and boy was it a doozy. Here's the Wikipedia synopsis:

However, this summary leaves out a lot of crazy stuff that happens in the episode. For example, the guest star of the episode is the beauty queen Miss Cosmos, however the episode goes out of its way to exposit that in the future beauty contests aren't just concerned with superficial things like looks, no, they also are focused on genetic purity and that Miss Cosmos, a blonde-haired blue-eyed white lady, is the most genetically perfect woman in existence. They don't mention this just once, no, they mention it repeatedly throughout the episode.

NAZI! Bedeep bedeep bedeep! NAZI!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Piss Meridian posted:

If you were building sexbots would you want them to be sentient?

There are robot brothels staffed by robots that are capable of sentience. One case involved two robots who had gained sentience through the sheer amount of traumatic experiences they had gone through, resulting in one of them killing a client in self-defense after he killed another robot during a threesome.

The creator specifically only surrounded himself with sexbots incapable of sentience. He treated his own robots like they were disposable appliances, even offering to explain what's really going on with other robots' AIs if the player will shoot one of his robots in the head.

Detroit is all kinds of hosed up and there's some good bits in there, but the interesting stuff gets kneecapped by comparing the robots to black people (the android-only space on buses is at the back, and literally having an older black lady compare it to slavery and the civil rights movement) and an unironic "Who is the real monster?".

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

David Cage once described Detroit: Become Human as "like Bladerunner, but if the humans were the bad guys"

That's literally all you need to know about the man and every single project he's involved in

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He also backpedaled on the whole idea that it was comparing to real slavery. Which got undercut slightly because a black character makes that comparison in game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SkeletonHero posted:

Oh Christ that was loving weird, yeah once the story starting coming together I had to straight up ignore it, just keep shooting the bad robots and enjoy all the one-liners. The whole game is like playing a fun, dumb action movie, but the robot babies thing was painfully stupid and hosed up.

The outrageously French robot was definitely the best part of that game.