Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bring in ScarJo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ruddiger posted:

Bring in ScarJo.
And ScarJo's stunt double.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No, Mary's actress can play Batwoman and ScarJo can play Mary.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SardonicTyrant posted:

And ScarJo's stunt double.

Katheryn Winnick?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

muscles like this! posted:

Maybe Henry Cavill for The Witcher?

That was the first one that came to mind. He was loud about that before the show started coming together.

Oh and Rosario Dawson with that Star Wars character.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 23, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just cast me imho I am Very Gay and already in Vancouver.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mahershala Ali called Marvel and said "hey I'm Blade now" so there is that.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Welp, Jade Tailor has confirmed she meets the LGBTQ criteria.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Although I do kind of wonder, how often does an actor publicly campaigning for a character actually work out?

The most successful actor driven campaign is probably Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool, where he even got a scene produced and released as a teaser trailer and went viral, and the reception got producers onboard with a crazy project with unlikely success they otherwise wouldn’t have touched with a ten foot pole.

The saddest has to be Nic Cage’s lifelong pursuit of the part as Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kjetting posted:

The most successful actor driven campaign is probably Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool, where he even got a scene produced and released as a teaser trailer and went viral, and the reception got producers onboard with a crazy project with unlikely success they otherwise wouldn’t have touched with a ten foot pole.

Ryan Reynolds was Deadpool in 2009. And that footage was video game test footage, it wasn't live action.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Ryan Reynolds was Deadpool in 2009. And that footage was video game test footage, it wasn't live action.

He was still involved in its production and its "leaking" to the public. X-Men Origins had killed any prospect of a Deadpool movie cold, so Reynolds went to work trying to revive it, and he worked his rear end off for it. After Green Lantern, his career was basically dead so yeah he had to lobby like crazy to win back a role he'd already had and then seemingly lost.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

He was still involved in its production and its "leaking" to the public. X-Men Origins had killed any prospect of a Deadpool movie cold, so Reynolds went to work trying to revive it, and he worked his rear end off for it. After Green Lantern, his career was basically dead so yeah he had to lobby like crazy to win back a role he'd already had and then seemingly lost.

I don't deny any of that but the previous post was quite inaccurate. He had still already been Deadpool which is the only reason people were so hype for the idea.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Rhyno posted:

I know. Even more reason that the campaign was so impressive. The character was already played by him in that Wolverine movie and universally hated, and he STILL got it made.

The question was if any actor campaign for a part had ever been successful, and I think RR did the god tier of actor campaigns, by not only running a campaign for a part in an existing project, but campaigning for the project itself to be put into motion under his creative control.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

esperterra posted:

Just cast me imho I am Very Gay and already in Vancouver.

Whom amongst us

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

kjetting posted:

I got a kick out of him in Teen Titans :shobon:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Whatever the official reason is, I'm glad she got out of this deathtrap of a production.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zesty posted:

Whatever the official reason is, I'm glad she got out of this deathtrap of a production.

Yeah if they don't cool it they're either going to lose any shot of getting an actress they want or get a stuntwoman killed

Maybe both

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What happened to make this show more dangerous vs Arrow?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lord Bude posted:

What happened to make this show more dangerous vs Arrow?

It isn't. It just happened to have a pair of more serious injuries only one of which was stunt related. Pretty much every action series has its share of stunt injuries, Ruby just got extra unlucky, and that PA that had a lift or crane or whatever dropped on her even more so since she did end up paralyzed.

Even Amnell had a fairly serious injury early when they were doing more jumping off of roofs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kate Kane is NOT being recast!

quote:

There won't just be a new face under the cowl when Batwoman returns next year — there will be an entirely new character.

EW has learned that Batwoman isn't simply going to recast Kate Kane, the role Ruby Rose left at the end of season 1. Instead, the CW drama is introducing a new character named Ryan Wilder to take up Batwoman's mantle.

According to a casting notice reposted on Reddit — which encourages LGBTQ performers to audition — Ryan Wilder is a female in her mid-late 20s and the complete opposite of Kate Kane. "She's likable, messy, a little goofy, and untamed," reads the document. "With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. Today, reformed and sober, Ryan lives in van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk from an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly disciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical All-American hero."

Of course this has its own share of problems, like where is Kate going and how are they going to explain her quitting being Batwoman?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So ew is reporting on a reddit post that got removed. I'm not saying it isn't true, but at the same time, I've got a huge grain of salt at the ready,

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kate Kane is NOT being recast!

Of course this has its own share of problems, like where is Kate going and how are they going to explain her quitting being Batwoman?

She found Bruce but has to go help him.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So I wonder what the chances are that Ryan Wilder is a placeholder name. I guess they could bring in a Bat family character who hasn't necessarily been Batwoman before.

I guess this also leaves the door open for Ruby Rose to return at some point, even as just a small recurring part. That's fairly nice on the showrunners part. Of course, recasting Ruby might post some other contractual hurdles which might just be easier avoided.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I mean if you’re removing the character all together; how does that flow to the rest of the show? It’s hugely personal - Alice is Kate’s sister; her dad just tried to kill her, etc. you’d have to basically scrap the whole show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

So ew is reporting on a reddit post that got removed. I'm not saying it isn't true, but at the same time, I've got a huge grain of salt at the ready,

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed it as legitimate.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Okay well that's loving dumb then.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That sounds like a terrible idea.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that's really stupid.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They'd definitely be better off doing a soft reboot of the show.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This new Ryan character is going to see Hush and be all like "I have no idea who this is."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I've come to expect nothing but bad and dumb choices from this show at this point. And this one is certainly up there...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timby posted:

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed it as legitimate.

Deadline also says they have a source saying the same thing.

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean if you’re removing the character all together; how does that flow to the rest of the show? It’s hugely personal - Alice is Kate’s sister; her dad just tried to kill her, etc. you’d have to basically scrap the whole show.

It is definitely a weird rear end choice and completely breaks the show. So I guess say goodbye to the supporting cast.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Are there any shows that completely pivoted with a main character change after the first season? Not a recasting of that character (which has happened in numerous shows, usually in later seasons), like a brand new main/lead character.

The only one I can think of is Babylon 5. Lethal Weapon is close, but that was after season 2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

NYPD Blue comes to mind rapidly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deadline also says they have a source saying the same thing.

It is definitely a weird rear end choice and completely breaks the show. So I guess say goodbye to the supporting cast.

Basically Luke is the only one with any reason for maybe hanging around at this point. He’s the only character who isn’t tied to Kate romantically or famililialy. Alice could probably stick around to be a perennial thorn in the new Batwoman’s side, but Mary, Jacob, and Sophie are probably going to get blown out an airlock now.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Teek posted:

Are there any shows that completely pivoted with a main character change after the first season? Not a recasting of that character (which has happened in numerous shows, usually in later seasons), like a brand new main/lead character.

The only one I can think of is Babylon 5. Lethal Weapon is close, but that was after season 2.

Ned Stark?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Klungar posted:

Ned Stark?

Not really a good example because that one was planned out from the start, so there was an infrastructure of characters already set up to take over for him. This is... something completely different.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a weird decision, but I hope they come at it with more nuance than Ryan showing up and Luke and Mary are just "oh hi we're your support staff now."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Klungar posted:

Ned Stark?

Ned was one of several POV characters in the first season/book, he was just the most noble one. For argument's sake let's say Batwoman's main POV characters are, idk ... Kate and Alice? I admittedly gave up half way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically Luke is the only one with any reason for maybe hanging around at this point. He’s the only character who isn’t tied to Kate romantically or famililialy. Alice could probably stick around to be a perennial thorn in the new Batwoman’s side, but Mary, Jacob, and Sophie are probably going to get blown out an airlock now.

If Alice is still a going concern then Jacob and Mary both still have a reason to be around what with her killing Katherine and all that, but yeah, ditching Kate pretty much blows up the premise of the show and makes the entire first season pointless.