Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ok so like you know all the stuff star trek doesn't do anymore? they do that stuff, but they're robots that turn into stuff and there's electric guitar solos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That actually does sound like it could own face. All the ships dock and live in a gigantic transformer Enterprise-esque ship that can go to warp, lots of fun with being able to go into hostile environments and how they affect diplomacy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They send in a diplomat but he's a tank, literally a tank and it goes how you'd expect

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

In very specific contexts it is extremely funny to traumatise small children.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

W.T. Fits posted:

Presumably this is the main reason their civil war has been going for over four million years.

Kinda, yeah. I feel Transformers is one of the worst offenders with sci-fi writers having absolutely no sense of time scale.

The comics do a lot of fun stuff like how the Transformers used to have a strict and oppressive caste system and apparently most of them turn into like, memory sticks. Part of the reason the Decepticons got started was calling bullshit on that, and Orion Pax thought they had a point.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

nine-gear crow posted:

The Five Faces of Evil miniseries/compilation movie goes into it, yes. The Quintessons built the machine race that would eventually evolve into the Transformers, who then overthrew them and drove them off Cybertron. They were so loving pissed about it that when they built Quintessa (the planet that Kup and Hot Rod land on in the movie) as their little Cyberton In Exile planet, they set up a kangaroo court to put all cybernetic life on trial for the crime of rebelling against the Quintessons and stealing Cybertron from them.

Folks like Kup, Hot Rod, Krannix, and the other survivors of Lithone are deemed “innocent”, because they played no provable part in the uprising. Yet in the Quintessons’ eyes that still warrants a death sentence. So down to the Sharkticons you go, boys!

That's so dumb and weird. I love it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

That actually does sound like it could own face. All the ships dock and live in a gigantic transformer Enterprise-esque ship that can go to warp, lots of fun with being able to go into hostile environments and how they affect diplomacy.

The Star Trek/Transformers crossover comic had a giant Transformer literally scan and turn into a duplicate Enterprise. There are already canon cases of city-sized Transformers that other Transformers can live in, and are often capable of space travel.

And reminded of War For/Fall Of Cybertron and how loving weird Cybertron can be; one mission has you playing as a Decepticon blowing up a bridge, which is harder than it sounds because the bridge is not only massive but actively fights back and adjusts to make up for the damage you do until you destroy every functional component of the thing. Also there's an easter egg where one of the levers you pull in a canned animation throughout the game turns out to be a Transformer that turns into robot mode and dances.

Spaceships are kind of weird in Transformers, because they're seemingly the only vehicles from Cybertron that don't transform. And even then some do, or used to. There's at least two cases of a giant Transformer in stasis lock (somewhere between comatose and dead) being used as a functional spaceship.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 23, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just like the idea of the ship transforming to and from robot mode and having to run through all kinds of crew checklists and sensor routines to make sure no one is in one of the "caution zones" where they'll get absolutely squished during transformation, and because the thing is so drat big and takes so much energy it's basically like the big "win" button they can only pull out when the situation is really dire.

Plus the comedy option of "USS Foundation where is the delegate party from the squishy meat balloon planet?"

"Oh when I transformed you idiots forgot to put them in a habitat bubble so they got sucked into space and died. You've got to remember not every species has emergency docking magnets and life support systems in their suits."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mind the walrus posted:

I just like the idea of the ship transforming to and from robot mode and having to run through all kinds of crew checklists and sensor routines to make sure no one is in one of the "caution zones" where they'll get absolutely squished during transformation, and because the thing is so drat big and takes so much energy it's basically like the big "win" button they can only pull out when the situation is really dire.

Plus the comedy option of "USS Foundation where is the delegate party from the squishy meat balloon planet?"

"Oh when I transformed you idiots forgot to put them in a habitat bubble so they got sucked into space and died. You've got to remember not every species has emergency docking magnets and life support systems in their suits."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yup, that classic joke that's been around since the 80s, only y'know, actually kind-of funny.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That reminds me of the episode where two scientists who really loving hated transformers put somebody in an ambulance only to find out that it's another transformer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rhkgPI1Mu4&t=278s

When I was a kid, I had a bunch of episodes from the very beginning of the show on VHS along with The Return of Optimus Prime, the two-parter that apparently ended the series, and I just didn't understand why Optimus was gone to need to return in the first place, why there was an entirely different cast of characters, the gently caress is a Quintesson, why there are TWO different two-headed dragons, why is humanity so much more advanced than the real world, what's the matrix, and why does Galvatron say that Autobots can't fly when they were all flying around like nobody's business in the first episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oddly enough there's a fairly consistent thing across various incarnations where the REALLY big Transformers are usually kinda dumb, and have very little initiative and will of their own besides to do what someone with sufficient authority tells them to.

I feel it kinda makes sense as much as anything with Transformers done; assuming they're running on some variant of the standard Cybertronian brain hardware, the vast majority of their processing power is probably tied up in simply running their massive bodies and all the associated hardware and weapons.

Also, oddly enough, the series has done the 'crushed by being caught in a transformation sequence' thing with a Transformer; the fate of Thrust in Transformers Armada hanging around on Unicron.

Which I think really cuts to the matter of why Transformers is interesting; because all of the characters are 'robots', you can show them getting into lethal combat, getting brutally injured and killed, and basically tell war stories for kid without having to pull punches.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

they did a comic fairly recently called 'More Than Meets the Eye' (and another called 'Robots in Disguise) that was really good. It got a little weird and lost by the end of the run, but it was amazing in terms of worldbuilding, turning the old one-dimensional(at best) G1 characters into more fleshed out individuals, character development, etc - and with a fresh sort of space-adventure theme as the entire thing is set in a post-war setting. Great art and great writing that is accessible to new fans but has a lot of stuff for old fans, imo it's really really worth it.

The other series, RiD, was set back on Cybertron and dealt more with the politics of how a post-war Cybertron would work. It had ups and downs and wasn't as popular, but ties in multiple times with MtMtE and in my opinion was really cool.

(There were also MULTIPLE other comics in this time that tied in: dozens of 'Spotlight' one-off issues, several brief miniseries, and so on - so you can really dig in if you want. The complete 'universe' has to have been a few hundred total issues altogether.)

((Now that's all over and they've rebooted it with a new series that is sort of starting just before the war breaks out. It is kinda slow paced but has its charm))

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

How big was Megatron when he was a gun?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Big enough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megatron as a gun is one of those really dumb things that's still really fitting for the character all things considered.

Optimus Primal may have been ahead of the curve with a gorilla as a strong but gentle hero who only does violence when necessary.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Munky. Not trukk.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

there's a scene kind of like this in the original Space Fortress Macross https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqsSby3Ev_I&t=1203s

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Tighclops posted:

They send in a diplomat but he's a tank, literally a tank and it goes how you'd expect

That's an Asimov robot story. Humans send a robot diplomat to make contact with the denizens of the surface of Jupiter (I think), and it's built to casually handle the heat and pressure of a Jovian atmosphere as well as the vacuum needed to get there. Calmly answers any question about its own nature and capability. Jovians forget, however, to ask what a human is like, because they assume they're already talking to one. They promise to never leave their world and threaten humanity, fearing its wrath.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Star Trek/Transformers crossover comic had a giant Transformer literally scan and turn into a duplicate Enterprise. There are already canon cases of city-sized Transformers that other Transformers can live in, and are often capable of space travel.

And reminded of War For/Fall Of Cybertron and how loving weird Cybertron can be; one mission has you playing as a Decepticon blowing up a bridge, which is harder than it sounds because the bridge is not only massive but actively fights back and adjusts to make up for the damage you do until you destroy every functional component of the thing. Also there's an easter egg where one of the levers you pull in a canned animation throughout the game turns out to be a Transformer that turns into robot mode and dances.

Spaceships are kind of weird in Transformers, because they're seemingly the only vehicles from Cybertron that don't transform. And even then some do, or used to. There's at least two cases of a giant Transformer in stasis lock (somewhere between comatose and dead) being used as a functional spaceship.

Man those games are so good, sadly they were my first real introduction to Transformers, as I was born at just the wrong time to see the original series.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vavrek posted:

That's an Asimov robot story. Humans send a robot diplomat to make contact with the denizens of the surface of Jupiter (I think), and it's built to casually handle the heat and pressure of a Jovian atmosphere as well as the vacuum needed to get there. Calmly answers any question about its own nature and capability. Jovians forget, however, to ask what a human is like, because they assume they're already talking to one. They promise to never leave their world and threaten humanity, fearing its wrath.

Victory Unintentional

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hunter Noventa posted:

Man those games are so good, sadly they were my first real introduction to Transformers, as I was born at just the wrong time to see the original series.

Neither was I but people seem to forget they never actually stopped making Transformers cartoons, there's been like nearly a dozen since the original series and pretty much all of them are at least as good or better. (because it's not a very high bar) (that said, Energon was gaaarbo)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

SlothfulCobra posted:

When I was a kid, I had a bunch of episodes from the very beginning of the show on VHS along with The Return of Optimus Prime, the two-parter that apparently ended the series, and I just didn't understand why Optimus was gone to need to return in the first place, why there was an entirely different cast of characters, the gently caress is a Quintesson, why there are TWO different two-headed dragons, why is humanity so much more advanced than the real world, what's the matrix, and why does Galvatron say that Autobots can't fly when they were all flying around like nobody's business in the first episode.

The future in the cartoon was cool, the USSR still existed... will exist... exists... What year are we again?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Marmaduke! posted:

The future in the cartoon was cool, the USSR still existed... will exist... exists... What year are we again?

The animated movie took place in 2005.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That wasn't what I asked!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The cartoon was also way ahead of the curve on post 9/11 racist muslim stereotypes, and one of the VAs quit over it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you are interested in Transformers and remember them fondly, you should check out the IDW reboot comics (not the current, rather boring run, but the one that concluded two years ago). They went very deep, with robot apartheid, gender identity, "can you forgive literal Hitler", and other things.

Brought about largely by James Roberts, a writer that started off with fanfiction and was brought on to do a massive amount of worldbuilding. He does have his quirks that can get annoying (Douglas Adams-esque humor, British-isms leaking through), but in all he was a massive boost to the franchise.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

That wiki is a treasure just because it is incredibly informative and precisely correct about a lot of the odds and ends of the deep transformers lore that nobody but the most buried turbonerds could possibly know while simultaneously never forgetting that knowing either half of this stuff basically comes with an atomic wedgie quota from the universe at large so the entire thing is never taken that seriously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weirdly enough, some of what I'd call the worst Transformers shows had the best toys. Armada and Energon are super fun with how cross-compatible everything is.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

GD_American posted:

If you are interested in Transformers and remember them fondly, you should check out the IDW reboot comics (not the current, rather boring run, but the one that concluded two years ago). They went very deep, with robot apartheid, gender identity, "can you forgive literal Hitler", and other things.

Brought about largely by James Roberts, a writer that started off with fanfiction and was brought on to do a massive amount of worldbuilding. He does have his quirks that can get annoying (Douglas Adams-esque humor, British-isms leaking through), but in all he was a massive boost to the franchise.

Ahhhhhhhh! YOU CAN'T SHOW THAT PANEL! IT'S SO UPSETTING!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly enough, some of what I'd call the worst Transformers shows had the best toys. Armada and Energon are super fun with how cross-compatible everything is.

Armada had a handful of decent full-sized Transformers figures, but for the most part that entire year was a massive step back in terms of engineering. The main gimmicks were usually over-built for what little they accomplished, the static Minicon ports were nearly always more fun than the spring-loaded poo poo and half the main figures' robot modes were inarticulate bricks just like the ones from the 80s. I'm aware that this was part of a reorientation of the brand towards a younger audience at the time I still think the Tonka toy look was really bad.

Energon was a big improvement, and most of the problems the Armada toys had were gone by I think the second or third wave of figures. I was pretty picky about my purchases at the time for those reasons but I've pretty much culled most of the Armada stuff out of the collection since then, obviously excepting stuff like Unicron and Bendy Prime.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

I've heard it was really good.

To be honest, more properties should approach their best fanfiction writers. Then at least you get someone who actually wanted to write for that series. And not someone who, say, turns a franchise that is a unique scifi franchise into a lovely copy of Mass Effect.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I found out in the past year that one of the two producers of Beast Wars was also one of the guys that worked on Babylon 5, and I was like ohhhhhhh that explains a lot

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked Armada a whole lot at the time, and I never watched it again as an adult, which seems fine, seeing as how the show was targeted at kids, like I was at the time. I don't know how well it holds up, but it's not like most of the other Transformers cartoons hold up that well to an adult.

Minicons were perfect and amazing, and I don't think Hasbro has really matched the fun of small robots since, although I did enjoy titanmasters some. Sideways had the coolest minicon partner, although the head-mode-with-antlers was ridiculous.

The bigger Armada figures...well, they are a bit hit and miss. Beast Wars was really balljoint-crazy, which set a standard of articulation that RiD kinda fell away from with its few original toys, and then Armada stepped back a little further. Not just because of weird minicon gimmicks, but just a whole lot of weird, weird design choices. I think Armada invented the H-tank, and when you look at Demolisher, he has a bit of charm to him, but I'm not sure anything can explain why he is what he is. He has an interesting chair mode though. Scavenger is probably the worst offender, but there's still a little charm in how his minicon can sit in the driver's seat. You can even see a lot of the weird design decisions in the minicons, which is part of why they're so interesting. I don't think articulation is everything for a figure, because the engineering in the transformation and how aesthetically interesting the modes are also are important.

Then Energon rolled along and for various reasons I never really watched the show. I liked the robots though, and they increased the amount of articulation. The combination modes were kinda garbage though, but I still feel like the component limb robots from Energon are still my favorite component robots out of any combiner. But I guess "I don't like combiners but these robots are really good independently despite their gimmick" is pretty low praise.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I had the Armada Tidal Wave toy and it ruled. A 3-ship fleet that combines into a battleship that turns into a robot? yes please! Also Titanmasters are neat but they're literally just the same idea as Headmasters from the 80s.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I kind of like that they're bringing back old gimmicks and doing them well with modern engineering, it suits the whole retro theme of that line of figures. I hope one day they eventually get around to doing more Armada era stuff because it needs the upgrade. I would love to have a non crappy version of Cyclonus or Demolishor since the originals were so close to being pretty novel that they were frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Armada Cyclonus was perfect, even if he was basically a helicopter carrying a folded-up robot underneath.

Droyer posted:

they're literally just the same idea as Headmasters from the 80s.

That was the whole point, hence why they did it in the toyline all about retreading their old characters.

Not that I wouldn't love it if they did try getting more creative. There's still never been a bus transformer.