Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

There are surprisingly far fewer Nazis in the comments of that thread than I thought there would be, though of course there are still Nazis complaining because how dare OP prevent her Nazi son from doxxing Jews on twitter and committing the unforgivable crime of looking at his computer.

AITA For Taking Advantage Of My Parent's Status?

I love this. He's admitting that he's too dumb to do the jobs he looks down on. Perfecto!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

How do I (25F) ask my bf (35M) to try to make less noise when he eats without him getting so defensive about it?

quote:

I'll try to keep it simple. My bf and I live in a rather small apartment at the moment and we have no choice but to share the same room while doing our daily activities. He spends a significant part of the day snacking on all kinds of things, and chews with his mouth open, making additional throat, tongue and lips noises. Unfortunately, I've got a lot of work to do at home, and we live in a pretty noisy place so I'd like to stop wearing earplugs and headphones once in a while, when it happens to not be too noisy.

I've tried asking him to try to make a little less noise by at least closing his mouth, but he gets quite offended at that, tells me he's "had this kind of a relationship before" (meaning, I guess, a relationship in which his ex asked him to do things he didn't want to do?), that this is why I should live alone, and that eating is something he enjoys a lot and he can't enjoy it fully when he's being careful.

I told him most kids are kind of taught to chew with their mouth closed because it's the proper way to eat (at least when you're not alone), so maybe he could try to learn and quickly would do it automatically after a while like many other people do. But he insists that this is a very unreasonable request and gets offended even when he notices that I put my earplugs in or listen to music to avoid his noises, so I just don't know how to mention it without making him so upset anymore. Same thing if I stop working when he starts eating, to do something else instead which doesn't require me to actually concentrate.

I just know that it's not something I want to deal with anymore, as ridiculous as it may sound. I believe that I'm already doing all that I can to cope with that situation, whereas he's not even trying, even though he knows very well that we both hate noisy environments and that I also happen to be very anxious these days which already makes it harder for me to focus on all the work I have to do.

Basically, I have no idea how to make him understand that it would be very helpful if he chewed with his mouth closed, without him getting very defensive about it, and I can't even use earplugs or headphones when he eats without him reacting badly to it, because he knows I'm trying to drown out his noises. Any ideas on how to try and fix this?

Tl;dr : Bf and I have to share the same room while I work. His frequent eating noises make it hard for me to focus, but I can't ask him to close his mouth while eating or even put earplugs in/listen to music/stop working while he eats without him getting offended. How can I try to ease the tension and hopefully, help him understand that I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining, but that this truly makes it hard for me to focus?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Ah, the philosophical implications of pig loving.

You wouldnt steal a car.you wont download a movie.but would you gently caress a pig?Dave Cameron did.is david cameron a better person than you op?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

t-.-t posted:

/r/relationships: I would gently caress the pig but I wouldn’t be happy about it.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

How do I (25F) ask my bf (35M) to try to make less noise when he eats without him getting so defensive about it?

quote:

He spends a significant part of the day snacking on all kinds of things, and chews with his mouth open, making additional throat, tongue and lips noises.

:murder:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
How do I(26M) ask my partner(30F) to stop telling me about everything our cats do?

quote:

It's really frustrating, and I don't know how to ask her again without hurting her feelings. She gets really down when she's done something that has upset/annoyed me.

She does it whether I'm there or not, but the amount increases and she'll get my attention specifically to tell me about one of our cats stretching for example. I know she cares about the cats a lot and they're a shared interest, but I don't know how to say I don't want this to be everyday. I'm worried that I'm going to stop caring about them if I am over-saturated with constant cat chatter.

TL;DR: I don't want to talk about toe-beans every day.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Also, the Prime Minister did gently caress a dead pig one time, so we're really not in the realm of fantasy any more.

That's not a very nice thing to call Mrs. Johnson.

Yes I'm aware of the whole David Cameron thing but he was like a billion years ago.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Licarn posted:

How do I(26M) ask my partner(30F) to stop telling me about everything our cats do?

It's only downhill from here, run before you are sitting in a chair, old and gray, hating her guts, loving miserable, constantly bombarded with cat chatter.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

quote:

quote:
It's really frustrating, and I don't know how to ask her again without hurting her feelings. She gets really down when she's done something that has upset/annoyed me.

She does it whether I'm there or not, but the amount increases and she'll get my attention specifically to tell me about one of our cats stretching for example. I know she cares about the cats a lot and they're a shared interest, but I don't know how to say I don't want this to be everyday. I'm worried that I'm going to stop caring about them if I am over-saturated with constant cat chatter.

TL;DR: I don't want to talk about toe-beans every day.

Screenplay for "Lady Catterly's Lover" is coming along nicely.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Licarn posted:

Do the same but as a constant stream of commentary on the state of your balls.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Licarn posted:

Back in the pre-quarantine times I was at a dinner party and between courses the resident cat lady was showing pictures to everyone and talking about the cat's adjusting to their new home (they had just bought a house). People were obviously not that interested in her cats and kept trying to move the conversation to the new house in general (we were all excited for them cause they had been hunting for the last year or so) but she just couldn't help herself. I remember making some offhand joking comment about it being nice to have so many cute cats to take pictures of and the husband just locked eyes with me with an expression that screamed "what have I gotten myself into".

When I first met them they had 1 dog and 1 cat. It's now like 0 and 4

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Did the cats eat the dog

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Nurglings posted:

Used to live next to a guy who would get drunk and curse out his ex-wife every night over the phone. I would have probably called the cops with a noise complaint if it weren't so funny.

I used to live above a guy that would scream-yodel in rage whenever he messed up his daily bongo practice or he was fighting with his girlfriend. It was the funniest thing, he sounded like somebody was randomly shocking a goat or something. I never physically saw him, but I heard him scream-yodelling a lot.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Tarzan in the City movie sounding good.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Am I (24F) wrong for banning my boyfriend (19M) from my hot tub until he does a certain amount of chores a day?

quote:

TL;DR - My boyfriend sits in my hot tub to avoid housework and I’m banning him from using it and now I feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Since my boyfriend got a job, he’s been lounging in my hot tub all the time. His job is kinda stressful and he’s on his feet all day, so I get it, he wants a break. I’m self employed and I’ve been staying home because with my line of work I can. I worked from home often before the whole lockdown. I do housework while he’s gone and cook dinner the days he is working. He’s been working four or five days a week. During the weekend he has no problem splitting up house duties because we’re both not working. But when he gets a day off during the weekday he gets in such a crabby mood when I ask him to help out.

My reasoning is that most days I’m doing all of the housework and I want a break to just lounge about or have a longer workout. He knows I want him to do stuff on his days off, so he wakes up before I do, gets in the hot tub, and when I get up and ask him to cut the grass or whatever, he’s like “come on I’m already in here I’ll have to dry off and get dressed and all that.” One day he sat in there almost all day, only getting out for meals and to use the bathroom.

I really don’t get it because on weekends he’s fine with doing the stuff I ask him to. Don’t get me wrong I’m not asking him to do extreme work, just basic stuff. I don’t trust him with laundry (long story) but dishes, cutting the grass, sometimes vacuuming, and just keeping the house tidy is the most I ask him to do. Sometimes he’ll cook but I don’t have a problem with doing that myself.

He’s in there all the time even if he’s not avoiding housework. After he comes home from work he’ll go in there until dinner is ready or I make him come to bed. He of course doesn’t go in there every night but he does often. He got a little projector thing to use against the side of the house and now he just sits in there and watches ESPN three or four nights a week. He’s not neglecting me or anything but it’s kind of irritating when I just wanna sit with him or not have to give him a fifteen minute warning before dinner so he can dry off and get dressed.

So I’ve put a hot tub ban down. He can only go in if he has my permission. My requirements are he has to do at least two productive things on his days off, or he can come in if I want to spend some time with him in there. I can actually lock the cover to the hot tub and I have the key so he can’t just go in there anyway. I feel like kind of an rear end in a top hat now. We’ve been together about seven months and I love him so I don’t want this to become a problem.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Screenplay for "Lady Catterly's Lover" is coming along nicely.

hisssssssssss

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Am I (24F) wrong for banning my boyfriend (19M) from my hot tub until he does a certain amount of chores a day?

Which MLM does this lady have as a stay at home job?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

LadyPictureShow posted:

help me reddit the teenager i'm dating acts like a teenager

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Being an adult is having to put up with bullshit like "yard work on your day off"...but I can't honestly say I disagree with the dude's philosophy to want to just sit in the hot tub watching TV on his vacation day.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

LadyPictureShow posted:

Ok. So this guy has a job (which is implied leaves him feeling sore) , cooks sometimes, does dishes, tidies the house, mows the lawn and really only loafs in the hottub a couple nights a week? And she's not feeling neglected? I suggest she hop directly onto his dick. This guy is the probably the single best partner in several hundred pages, stupid teenager bullshit and all.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Chomp8645 posted:

My most wild Yelling Neighbor moment was a drunk marine who was yelling on the phone to his grandmother of all people. He wasn't yelling at her, but he very angry that she was going to jail. Apparently granny had embezzled something like $100,000 from a medical scholarship fund, and while the trial was still technically pending/ongoing, the case against her was iron solid. He ranted about what an injustice it was that she was going to go to prison for this (she spent some of the money helping out family, so she was good!) and proposed increasingly wild ways of saving her from this fate. These escalated from simply absconding with her to Mexico, to murdering her prosecutor, to conducting a future armed raid on the jail to free her. She had to talk to him down from each of these plans and he was only reluctantly convinced not to intervene. He then moved on to the topic of the pending revolution in America that he knew was inevitable. This was somewhere circa 2012 - 2014, so the purpose of this supposed people's revolution was to overthrow the tyrannical Obama administration.

ten to one that guy has a blue lives matter bumper sticker but casually suggests armed action against the state when it suits him.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MagusofStars posted:

Being an adult is having to put up with bullshit like "yard work on your day off"...but I can't honestly say I disagree with the dude's philosophy to want to just sit in the hot tub watching TV on his vacation day.

I just don't understand what he could be watching on ESPN for hours four times a week.

(Are they just showing non-stop classic games right now?)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ArbitraryC posted:

Back in the pre-quarantine times I was at a dinner party and between courses the resident cat lady was showing pictures to everyone and talking about the cat's adjusting to their new home (they had just bought a house). People were obviously not that interested in her cats and kept trying to move the conversation to the new house in general (we were all excited for them cause they had been hunting for the last year or so) but she just couldn't help herself. I remember making some offhand joking comment about it being nice to have so many cute cats to take pictures of and the husband just locked eyes with me with an expression that screamed "what have I gotten myself into".

When I first met them they had 1 dog and 1 cat. It's now like 0 and 4

One of my college friends Instagrams her kitten like mad. I know less about what her husband is up to these days than Mochi, since she comes back to town to visit family when he's busy (they go off and do wonderful things together when both are free) I can't even confirm he didn't die a year after we graduated and she's making up stories.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My partner and I touch our cats's toe beans every day.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for making Friend and girlfriend pay for a new engagement ring for my fiance?

quote:

So I recently got engaged to my fiance after dating for 7.5 years. We starting dating when we were 15, attended university together and she recently graduated with a nursing degree and I a sociology degree. We have an amazing relationship, and both wanted to take it to the next level. She subtly sent me the ring she wanted a few years back and I have kept the info on it.

We decided to get a puppy. Put the deposit down, and the day comes to pick her up (8 week old lab). I decided to contact the breeder and set up the proposal with the puppy. The whole event went off flawlessly. It was an amazing and exciting day for our families and everybody came in waves to celebrate with us and meet the puppy.

This is where Friend (F) and his girlfriend (GF) come in. I have been friends with F since kindergarten and would consider us to be best friends. GF recently entered our lives and we have been civil. They come over and we have a barbeque and drinks to celebrate. The drinking continues for a few hours and we are all quite drunk. Eventually, GF asks to see the engagement ring and my fiance hands it to her. Before we know what's happening she has shoved it onto her ring finger and it is completely stuck. She starts to panic and fiance, being a nurse, assures her multiple times throughout the night that there are no circulation issues.

The panicking gets worse over the next three hours as we try to get her to calm down. All the while she keeps mentioning how she can't lose the finger because that's HER wedding finger. We are all keeping it cool and trying every method in the book to get it off. Eventually we unanimously decide to leave it and try again in the morning because she has been tugging on it so much that her finger has swelled. One last check of circulation before fiance goes to bed, and it's fine. GF then demanding F to take her to the hospital once fiance is inside and he persists for a while, but eventually gives in.

About 45 minutes later, F returns to inform me that they cut the ring off at the request of GF. Fiance LOSES it and slams the door and cries in bed with me for a few hours.

The ring is returned broken by GF. The next day they offered to fix it and $100 was sent to fiance, but after contacting jewelers and them saying that the band was too dainty to fix and the ring would likely have to be re-set, she decides to just get another one because it is a custom setting. It was not a very expensive ring, about $600. GF then says she can't pay for it because she isn't getting enough shifts at work and F steps up and sends the other $500.

We are satisfied until F contacts fiance saying that we should send the money back and GF is very sorry that "we think she handled the situation inappropriately" and "not a lot of people would've sent that money". We are not budging and have already ordered a new ring to be custom made in 3 weeks, which is a similar situation to the original.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Did they at least do the thing and take a picture? You know, for posterity

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

GF won’t stop saying “let’s churn and burn!”

quote:

My girlfriend made up a phrase which she repeats around 30 times a day - “let’s churn and burn!” Its been about 4-6 weeks of this and there’s no end in sight. Any advice?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

chemtrail huffer posted:

wha- what does it mean?? what does it MEAN??

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

chemtrail huffer posted:

See if you can get her to change it to "crash and burn", jox.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Man, gently caress that pig.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

chemtrail huffer posted:

tell her to get real beefy

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Churn and burn means you work in a restaurant where table turnover is quick, meaning you need to be able to turn your tables quickly rather than a high-touch, coursed out situation. Think like a touristy restaurant, or a diner at brunch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

chemtrail huffer posted:

Put some embarrassing meaning on Urban Dictionary and give her a concerned heads up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

chemtrail huffer posted:

She understands the power of repetition. Soon she'll have you converted, and you can start working on converting friends and family together.

That's how you work a catchphrase.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Churn and burn means you work in a restaurant where table turnover is quick, meaning you need to be able to turn your tables quickly rather than a high-touch, coursed out situation. Think like a touristy restaurant, or a diner at brunch.

someone in the comments posted:

OP's girlfiend works as a HR manager in an Amazon warehouse.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Some kind of sick extreme weight gain/loss type fetish, involving the production of her own butter but using the rudimentary methods from the 19th century

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Oh GAWD that’s depressing

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

the middle class ideal of how much housework actually has to be done fuckin sucks vs sitting in a hot tub watching espn

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol his girlfriend is using an expression around the house that she learned as a literal cracker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for making Friend and girlfriend pay for a new engagement ring for my fiance?

Somebody doesn’t know the dental floss trick! That thing is a miracle, I’ve used it to pop so many rings off people.