Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Groke posted:

Did it as Kazan myself. Kazan is arguably a lot easier than most horde starts because you start with a frickin' gold mine so your economy is not as cursed.

When I did it my first priority was to hit the Great Horde (by allying and calling in whatever rivals they had, don't remember) and then kill Crimea before they randomly ended up as an Ottoman subject. Stabbed Muscovy in the kidney while they were distracted fighting Novgorod.

I found a method that worked to defeat Muscovy was to settle for multiple small wars; be a bit judicious about war goal (usually tribal conquest, but a conquest CB for some province you can sit on works too); while they're still stronger than you, going for 100%-ish war score can be a mistake, but instead go for grabbing the ticking war score from sitting on the war goal ASAP, and run up the numbers until you can peace out for max cash and maybe just one or two or three provinces. If they have an ally you can declare on before the truce is up, great, do that again and get them to peace out just for max cash. After a few rounds of that the bastards went bankrupt and then it was easy to beat them up properly and take a lot of their juicier clay. After that they were a weak remnant which I could eat at my leisure.

I went to war with them in 1444 and stackwiped so many armies they ended up with 23k troops, all mercs. My ruler rolled as a 2/4/3 general lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I went to war with them in 1444 and stackwiped so many armies they ended up with 23k troops, all mercs. My ruler rolled as a 2/4/3 general lol

Yeah if you get your army sieging Moskva with reserves nearby, their armies will attack you and be on the receiving end of an attacking horde army on plains terrain; at tech parity and with a decent general they'll just get wiped over and over. You then take Moskva in the peace deal and they'll switch capital to Murom, also a plains terrain capital (bonus: not a level 3 fort like Moskva, just the level 1 from being capital); the second war is going to be even easier than the first.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm thinking of going Orthodox to make my manpower just loving unlimited. Do i just need to let ortho rebels siege me down?

also Murom is woods

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Finished Gold Rush in 1478, now to go orthodox or not.

Muscovy had fallen apart and their vassals broke free, so i finished taking the vassal land in 1478 and then this screenshot is right after i attacked muscovy and killed them.

Check out that poland, guess you shouldn't have taken a local noble

edit: I'm correct that I do not want to form mongolia right? It would move my capital to asia and i would lose my ability to make trade companies.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 20, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Correct yeah. You can punch it on the last day of your run if you want the cheevos.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Correct yeah. You can punch it on the last day of your run if you want the cheevos.

Kind of annoying how powerful trade companies are. I'd like to be mongolia but not if I kneecap my economy

edit: i may have to form mongolia, this golden color hurts my eyes lmao

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 20, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm thinking of going Orthodox to make my manpower just loving unlimited. Do i just need to let ortho rebels siege me down?

What you need is:

1) have a majority of your provinces be Orthodox (in your position, it's probably going to be very quick & easy to just grab more lovely Orthodox clay from your neighbours, more so than spawning rebels to convert your original provinces)
2) have Orthodox rebels in existence (you don't actually need any stacks to spawn, just a % chance of rebels rising, you can interact with them then)
3) accept the Orthodox rebels' demand (if you don't have a majority of your provinces as Orthodox this will just give you some religious tolerance bullshit, so take care here)

Poof, you're Orthodox.

The main argument for not switching seems to me that as a Sunni horde you can probably maintain an alliance with the Ottos, which means you don't have to bother with anything except conquering enough stuff to not go bankrupt.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Haha, a 4 or 5 shock general combined with smart use of terrain vs. stupid AI has hilariously bloody results.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Been bored waiting for the new expansion and started checking out the Anbennar fantasy mod. Think it’s been touched on here before, but it’s gotten a lot more fleshed out. The not-Europe area is pretty complete, but honestly strikes me as pretty standard eu4 with a couple extra bells and whistles. The rest of the world getting filled in has been pretty interesting though

- adventurers vs orcs fighting over a ruined kingdom where the winners can found their own states and later do unregulated magic. Basically uses tribal migration/better tech for adventurers vs Siberian frontiers/better early units for orcs/goblins in a fun thunder dome.
    - dwarves reclaiming the mountains with a couple very tall dwarfhold provinces that you dev push to crazy levels surrounded by orc/goblin infested tunnels. One dwarf tag makes gold and has a mission tree to buff the poo poo out of your production and shift to an all merc military with decent buffs. Has some interesting dwarf exclusive disasters.
    - desert elves with a new religion and missions that basically recreate the early Islamic conquests
    - Favorites have been the colonial campaigns in the New World equivalent with really lengthy mission trees that basically take you to the 17-1800s. There’s one where you play crusaders that Praise the Sun across not-America and another where you recreate the fallen elf empire

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Groke posted:

What you need is:

1) have a majority of your provinces be Orthodox (in your position, it's probably going to be very quick & easy to just grab more lovely Orthodox clay from your neighbours, more so than spawning rebels to convert your original provinces)
2) have Orthodox rebels in existence (you don't actually need any stacks to spawn, just a % chance of rebels rising, you can interact with them then)
3) accept the Orthodox rebels' demand (if you don't have a majority of your provinces as Orthodox this will just give you some religious tolerance bullshit, so take care here)

Poof, you're Orthodox.

The main argument for not switching seems to me that as a Sunni horde you can probably maintain an alliance with the Ottos, which means you don't have to bother with anything except conquering enough stuff to not go bankrupt.

It's 1498 and I'm the rank 2 great power, behind only ming. I'll crush the ottomans

I'd like to go Tengri actually but I remember trying that a few years ago and I had to go animist first

edit: motherfucker, the entire side of my screen is full of separatist rebellions. I really should have went humanist and not administrative. I wanted cheaper coring though

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 21, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you're contemplating converting to Orthodox or Tengri you'll want Religious instead of Humanist anyway.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Getting back into this game and have a question, since the mod I used to use for this is no longer being updated as of 1.13:

How can I create an alternate start scenario? I want to take a country that as far as I can tell doesn't appear in any of the existing bookmarks (Jerusalem) and have it show up on the map at whatever the earliest start date is. I'd do a custom nation but since it already exists in the game files I was wondering if it would just be easier to put it on the map using the files already made for it.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

The "new world" also has a lot of independent colonizers spawn, which can be fun to switch to via console/load game. It helps that they tend to spawn in the 1500s-1600s, right about the time your original state has likely become a nigh-unbeatable great power. My favorites are the gnoll pirate republic (insert pun here) in the not-Caribbean, and the gnome, goblin, and kobold republics (one each) in the western part of not-America.

Have you tried playing around in not-India after the newest update? Haven't given it much of a whirl yet. There is an extremely powerful Hobgoblin state, which could make for a challenging enemy, or be an extremely relaxing conquest run where you can pretty much steamroll everyone from the get go.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I can't get excited for the new expansion :smith: I mean I like the new patch, QoL stuff etc but until today I basically bought every single expansion to EU4, but now , especially with CK3 coming in September, I'm really not feeling that "Let's start another EU4 game" vibe despite the 1178hours played would hint at being a big fan of the game.

Guess it's time to wait for EU5 ... or can someone hype me up on Emperor?

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Well CK3 won't be good before 1 or 2 years, so you have time !

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Badger of Basra posted:

Getting back into this game and have a question, since the mod I used to use for this is no longer being updated as of 1.13:

How can I create an alternate start scenario? I want to take a country that as far as I can tell doesn't appear in any of the existing bookmarks (Jerusalem) and have it show up on the map at whatever the earliest start date is. I'd do a custom nation but since it already exists in the game files I was wondering if it would just be easier to put it on the map using the files already made for it.
FYI a major patch that is going to change many, many things is coming in just over two weeks on June 6th.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Badger of Basra posted:

If all you want is to play as Jerusalem without any other map changes, a custom nation is the easiest way. If you don't want to do that, what you can do is start as any of the countries capable of forming it(https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Jerusalem) and use the console(https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands) to grab the provinces needed to form it. If you want to mod it(https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Modding), it'll be much more work and something I wouldn't recommend doing for such a relatively small change.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TorakFade posted:

I can't get excited for the new expansion :smith: I mean I like the new patch, QoL stuff etc but until today I basically bought every single expansion to EU4, but now , especially with CK3 coming in September, I'm really not feeling that "Let's start another EU4 game" vibe despite the 1178hours played would hint at being a big fan of the game.

Guess it's time to wait for EU5 ... or can someone hype me up on Emperor?

Assuming EU5 is under initial development, it's hard to imagine we'll see an announcement this year. Emperor isn't going to fix most of the big issues with EU4's design (the kind you notice with thousands of hours invested, I mean) but the game is driven by events in Europe and it's good to see some more depth to the Christian world.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

FYI a major patch that is going to change many, many things is coming in just over two weeks on June 6th.

iirc that patch even adds stuff for jerusalem through the crusader states

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Considering they're rightfully dumping "start at any date", I'd love to see alt-history (cheevo compatible!!) starts as DLC for EU5. Especially in place of the kinda bleh DLC additions like expelling minorities and russian mana buttons and so on. I don't know how much extra work that'd be to be fair.

One of my favourite things way back in EU3+ was that if you got bored of 1399 there were like three more 1399s.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ugrok posted:

Well CK3 won't be good before 1 or 2 years, so you have time !

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Caustic Soda posted:

Have you tried playing around in not-India after the newest update? Haven't given it much of a whirl yet. There is an extremely powerful Hobgoblin state, which could make for a challenging enemy, or be an extremely relaxing conquest run where you can pretty much steamroll everyone from the get go.

Haven’t hit up anything there yet, but next campaign will probably be as an adventurer dwarf start with the goal of making the formable tag from the hold that the hobgoblins start in. Looks like it should be a good challenge now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The trick is jumping in at the right time, after it's had a few QoL updates and before it becomes too bloated

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

The trick is jumping in at the right time, after it's had a few QoL updates and before it becomes too bloated

CK3: Noblesse Oblige adds Angst, hope you like managing your children's teenage drama as a number and also it mysteriously affects Muslims into adulthood.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

StealthArcher posted:

CK3: Noblesse Oblige adds Angst, hope you like managing your children's teenage drama as a number and also it mysteriously affects Muslims into adulthood.
Buddhists suffer penalties if they have too much or too little angst, so you must carefully manage angst to maintain balanced karma.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Swing State Victim posted:

Haven’t hit up anything there yet, but next campaign will probably be as an adventurer dwarf start with the goal of making the formable tag from the hold that the hobgoblins start in. Looks like it should be a good challenge now.

After doing dwarves once (not counting restarts) I have no desire to play through the hoardcursed disaster again. It took me three tries to beat it and while I'm sure I could do it again, it puts such a total halt on your game while you deal with it that the idea of doing so holds no appeal to me at all. It could at least make the broken modifiers you get for each reform permanent but they all disappear once you take the final decision.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Groke posted:

What you need is:

Poof, you're Orthodox.

One weird trick is that religious rebels will convert a province to their religion, but only if the religious rebels are NOT of the state religion. So in this case, it might help to piss off the Orthodox rebels until they spawn, then let them basically run roughshod across the country, and only then accept the demands. The devastation will suck but having a higher religious unity at the end is nice.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yah, that is often worthwhile. Be at war with some harmless OPM so the rebels can't enforce demands prematurely, mothball your forts and keep your armies out of the way.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
'Course, as Kazan you get a hefty bonus to religious unity plus tolerance of heathens, so that's nice.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Finished Gold Rush in 1478, now to go orthodox or not.

Muscovy had fallen apart and their vassals broke free, so i finished taking the vassal land in 1478 and then this screenshot is right after i attacked muscovy and killed them.

Check out that poland, guess you shouldn't have taken a local noble

edit: I'm correct that I do not want to form mongolia right? It would move my capital to asia and i would lose my ability to make trade companies.

It looks like you have 50% or so of your provinces in Europe. You can just move it back for 200 admin

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Just be aware it's 50% of your development being in Europe, not the province count. If it's all barren steppe/mountainous land compared to the fertile farmlands of India, you're stuck in Asia.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

If all you want is to play as Jerusalem without any other map changes, a custom nation is the easiest way. If you don't want to do that, what you can do is start as any of the countries capable of forming it(https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Jerusalem) and use the console(https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands) to grab the provinces needed to form it. If you want to mod it(https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Modding), it'll be much more work and something I wouldn't recommend doing for such a relatively small change.

Thanks for this btw!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ever the trend-follower, I've been trying to do gold rush too. Had a few false starts, but finally got off on the right foot as Kazan. All I had to do was luck out and get the 100 tradition general event during my early war against muscovy! There's not a single problem in this game that a 6/5/2/5 general can't solve.

edit: what do you do about the manpower situation though? I feel like that's the biggest bottleneck. I can't blitz my neighbors because i keep ending up with humongous manpower deficits.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 23, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Just be aware it's 50% of your development being in Europe, not the province count. If it's all barren steppe/mountainous land compared to the fertile farmlands of India, you're stuck in Asia.

Also he's going to have to conquer a lot more of Asia before forming the Mongol Empire.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: what do you do about the manpower situation though? I feel like that's the biggest bottleneck. I can't blitz my neighbors because i keep ending up with humongous manpower deficits.

Yah. Manpower seems to be a limiting factor for a good while. You can't afford many mercenaries either (although a very few merc infantry units may be a good thing).

Being careful with battles, punching the estate interactions every ten years like clockwork... consolidate understrength cavalry and use the free horde cav to replace them. Slacken standards whenever you get to 5% professionalism. Get a couple of useful vassals to help out. Ally the Ottos and get them to fight in your bigger wars.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I also learned that I probably should've been assigning more conquered territory to the clans. I totally forgot for my first 10 years that they boost provincial manpower by 33% in addition to ignoring autonomy for it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You truly love to see it.

edit: final numbers

I had plenty of horses, engaged their bigger stacks exclusively on flat terrain, and only declared war when i had a tactics advantage. They were also dumb enough to leave their forts on my border without a garrison.

I will apologize for nothing.

edit 2: it's beautiful

how on earth did people do this achievement and ALSO have pretty borders? that's a level beyond me.

edit 3: it's 1480 and i still haven't purchased a single admin tech lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 24, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Edit: ^^ I posted my screenshot of gold rush a few days ago but by 'pretty borders' I just took a 100 warscore rough circle out of everyone.

To solve the manpower problem I hired 3 merc infantry and kept them for the first fifty years

Man this golden horde run is going well but my money is so bad. I shouldn't have taken so many territories, should have just snaked/border gored my way down to trade company regions.

The corruption penalty for too many territories is brutal

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 24, 2020

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Does anyone know what the conditions for the "broke a promise to give land" malus are? I know it used to be you called in someone for land and gave them 0 provinces, but in my current game I gave France 1 province for like -12 Trust and I got the malus. Do you have to give at least 0 Trust worth of WS now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Firebatgyro posted:

Does anyone know what the conditions for the "broke a promise to give land" malus are? I know it used to be you called in someone for land and gave them 0 provinces, but in my current game I gave France 1 province for like -12 Trust and I got the malus. Do you have to give at least 0 Trust worth of WS now?

Even though you gave them land it might not have been commensurate with their war score contribution. When you are negotiating the peace deal there will be a green thumbs up or red thumbs down next to their flag to show if they approve of the peace. If they don’t, you’ll get an opinion and trust hit.