Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of vertically cropped content, had a great conversation with a producer I’m working with where I had to remind him we not only had a whole conversation about their lower thirds and graphics barely being 16x9 title safe, but I specifically told him if they’re going to need anything centercut for the internet, the graphics they have won’t work. His response at the time was “we’ll figure it out when it comes up” and now that it’s finally delivery week and they’re requesting center cut clip selects, the producer just told me to “make it work.” 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

TheBizzness posted:

I watched The Void today in between procedures at a doctors office and now I wish I had chosen to watch it on my tv any of the 8000 times I almost did because it ruled on my phone.

1stGear posted:

The Void is good as hell and I'm real mad it's not on Netflix any more.

I love The Void, and my favorite thing about it, which I already mentioned in a previous iteration of this thread, is the sense imparted by the titles about how this one of the "places between places" Stephen King has talked about in some short stories, just these run-down nowhere towns that could disappear off the map and nobody would miss them. Like, when King writes about Derry, it's specifically a place where things are definitely always hosed up, but then there's this sense that these irrelevant border places exist too, like the truck stops he mentions in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_That_You_Love_Will_Be_Carried_Away .

Anyway I spent a lot of my life commuting on trains and Greyhounds at night in rust-belt towns and I love how these titles capture that sense of... not exactly isolation, but a sense that even though there are other people here, you're still alone. Unlike in most horror movies, you're in civilization, but only technically. Stuff is still bad because everything is already bad.

https://streamable.com/xxr4tz

(streamable keeps deleting my The Void intro every time I upload it so this may not last, but you all get the point)

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Void is pretty much The Thing sequel that we should have gotten.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: what? The Void is a huge piece of poo poo. It's got the right heart and a few neat visuals, but it's an awful amateurish movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

:lol: what? The Void is a huge piece of poo poo. It's got the right heart and a few neat visuals, but it's an awful amateurish movie.

The movie was crowdfunded and had a budget of ~$200,000 so I cut it lot of slack, it fuckin' rules.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Astron makes low budget movies with great scripts and amazing practical effects. It's their thing.

This is their next thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMD8lGJR4GQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

The movie was crowdfunded and had a budget of ~$200,000 so I cut it lot of slack, it fuckin' rules.

Yeah it's real bad, just cause was made by incompetent people doesn't mean it can get away with being terrible.

edit: but Psycho Goreman looks good

edit2: Also that Raimi flipmovie looks good

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I knew Sam Raimi wouldn't let me down.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not saying it doesn't have its positive aspects—heart goes a long way. But it's nowhere near "The Thing sequel that we should have gotten."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Neo Rasa posted:

Both of these are true. I loved the aesthetic and visuals and music and tone but it also is awful and amateurish. It works best if you imagine it as the thing they turned in with a 200k budget to prove they could do something in that vein to secure a bigger budget for their next project, because it's clearly unfinished/needed more

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's fun

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Sometimes the real horror is just the blatantly wrong opinions of others.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought the Void had some good stuff but like... not a 90 minute narrative story film's worth.

Or as someone described it to me in discussion, it feels like very good cut scenes from a video game I wouldn't mind playing.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Chattanooga Film Fest is premiering Skull this weekend and it owns. Brazilian slasher with buckets of blood.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The Void has a particular theme and look that I enjoy. I know it falls down here and there, but mythos is a real big counter balance for me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
From Beyond, still perfect

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I enjoyed the void way way more the second time through. and yeah it's awful and amateurish but it's got heart and it's not blumhouse or a24 so play on astron

PG looks kick rear end too

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This must be what Kvlt! feels when someone likes a Mike Flanagan movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The void would have made a great 30 minute thingy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I liked The Void a lot. Nothing life changing but a solid little movie that I watched twice and enjoyed both times. Obviously with like 3 million more dollars it could've been a lot better but that's life.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Say what you will about Joe Bob (and there's a lot to say), but he's showing Deadbeat At Dawn right now, so the Joe Bob thread is experiencing it for the first time. I love it.

vvvv Doubt anyone here is gonna disagree with that

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 23, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay. Joe Bob is probably either a huge racist or deeply insensitive and awful and should be yelled at by a crowd of people.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

CelticPredator posted:

Okay. Joe Bob is probably either a huge racist or deeply insensitive and awful and should be yelled at by a crowd of people.

It's both

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just watched Goodnight Mommy and man I'm tired of this feelbad horror poo poo. There's a thinner line between this and something like Human Centipede 2 than it probably thinks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Feel bad horror is kinda fun sometimes. Depends on the mood.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

feeling bad is good but feeling good is great

gimme color out of space. best of both worlds

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That but Behind the Mask the Rise of Leslie Vernon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Horror is an anxiety, a disgust, a sadness that we can control. We choose to watch, and we can choose to walk away. In the rest of our lives, we are out of control: someone we love might die, we might get catastrophically injured, hell we might even die. But horror strides the line between the relief of knowing that the bad things are happening to someone else, and the power of being able to stop it at any moment. I can't find it now but there was an article written about how people with trauma in their life (veterans for example) tend to be drawn to horror because it gives them a way to feel anxiety or fright that they have complete control over.

Anyway, my point is feelbad horror has its place.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think feel bad horror has to be humane if that makes sense.

I feel like Entrance is a great example. If you judge it by just the Wikipedia entry, it's a movie where a woman has all of her friends brutally and systematically killed after her life is being torn apart and ends on a very upsetting that note that only gets more upsetting if you consider the off-screen implications. But it's also a film about the isolation of cities and how the male gazes is amplified. It's upsetting, but is tackling and naming real fears. And I don't mean that in the bullshit hottake way. It's a film that really resonated with my ex when I first saw it on an emotional level.

That's different from the Human Centipede films which are just about pulling the wings off a fly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I think there's an interesting question there to ask: does the ultraviolent, ultrableak stuff act as a healthy outlet for our darker desires, or does it engender them?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the former. I remember people yelling at me to get psychiatric help itt when I was 14 and wanted extreme horror reccomendations and here we are 8 years down the line of watchinf the nastiest stuff I cam find and I've never hurt anybody or been violent or had the urge to.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Kvlt! is the sort of guy who's mugshot is destined for infamy.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like Mike Flanagan.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I don't even think dark urges is the right word.

When I say feel bad horror has to be humane I mean to be of real interest or value. I think Kvlt!'s anecdote is actually an important one. When you're pre to early teen, you're coming out of a stage of your life when you're obsessed with rules. If you ever babysit a nine year old, you might notice that they get super pissy if you don't do something the way their parent do. To become a fully formed adult, you have to move beyond that and have a more nuanced view of how rules and order work. That's why twelve year olds are assholes, they're going from being obsessed with rules to realizing that some rules are bullshit. But because you're a child you don't know which are actually good and which are not, so you have to test things.

And I think that can go into your media tastes. Teens can often be into pretty mean-spirited comedy because mean-spirited comedy tends to test the rules of what's okay to say. I think horror's similar. I got really into watching pretty grimy stuff as a teen because there was a rush of testing how far you could go with it. I never actually enjoyed I Spit On Your Grave, but there was a kick of digging into the depths of film, how hosed up you could get.

But there's a limit to it. Feast is a good example. The film has some novelty of pushing conventions, but the novelty wore off in the second which was just unpleasant. I think that all horror fans have some appreciation for audacity in horror, but there is a horror type who never grows out of that seeing a fly get its wings pulled off thrill. But those people tend to be skeevy for other reasons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

the former. I remember people yelling at me to get psychiatric help itt when I was 14 and wanted extreme horror reccomendations and here we are 8 years down the line of watchinf the nastiest stuff I cam find and I've never hurt anybody or been violent or had the urge to.

-that scene in Predator where Arnold and that other guy lock arms and say "you son of a bitch" but it's me and Kvlt! Relating to similar life experiences-

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I’ve been rewatching Ash vs Evil Dead and am realizing I never actually seen anything past the first episode of season 2. S2E2 has one of the grossest effects/scenes I’ve seen in anything, holy poo poo. in the morgue where the corpse forces Ash’s head up it’s rear end and it’s dick is flopping in his face, lol

Also Ted Raimi’s character is great

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I like Mike Flanagan.

:hai:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

He went off on a long rambling monologue about that Gillette ad because someone asked his opinion on it, and it was exactly as awkward as you'd expect. Then he ended it with "...but it's just an ad for shaving!" and I was like "well yeah, I agree with that and I hate faux-wokeness too", but then he started getting weird with talking about women also shaving and making implications and then... look it's a rollercoaster with this guy and I have no idea what the gently caress anymore.

He didn't really have anything to contribute to Exorcist III that I didn't already learn from reading this thread. I'm mostly just done with the guy but it was a fun time I had two years ago when he first did his big comeback. But I think it's time to move on and maybe find a new cultural gatekeeper for the horror community.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Kvlt! is what happens when you have The Omen IRL but instead of being a spawn of Satan it's Rob Zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Bob is boring at the best of times and a huge rear end in a top hat the rest of the time. People only like him because when they grew up he was the only guy willing to engage with horror as if it were real cinema instead of just dismissing it out of hand or going "Check it out gorehounds, a geyser of gore gushes onto some ripe mammaries in this new Freakfest from Troma!" like the enthusiast press.

But this ain't the 90s anymore and we don't need his old rear end.