Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I was in the anime card business. Also the anime backgrounds and emotes (still worth $$$). Then the card economy tanked permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I had no idea about this supposedly awesome Saints Row 3 remaster and did some research to find out it's EGS exclusive lol. It's crazy how many games fly under the radar because they decided to sign an exclusivity deal with Epic.

Maneater looks like it’s Exactly My poo poo and I would have had no idea it existed if I didn’t get an email from GreenManGaming saying it released.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I am impressed.

Jamfrost posted:

I was in the anime card business. Also the anime backgrounds and emotes (still worth $$$). Then the card economy tanked permanently.

Yeah, I still dump my cards before the major seasonal sales, but holy crap returns are so low outside of any anime titles at this point. I used to snag a few hundred before each sale and now it's like... 40-50 if I'm lucky. And this is with me getting regular booster infusions from 3000+ titles that drop them.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

^That's an old number now.

AHAHAHA, dang. You're my goal. I just need a higher credit limit.

I want to say Steam has near 50K games at this point. Maybe 45K. I don't know how to find out for sure.

You can open search and limit it to games. Of course that doesn't account for any games that aren't available in your region.

It's saying 41,435 for me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

OzFactor posted:

Fell Seal is an incredibly faithful modern realization of a pretty outdated type of game, that being the FFT SRPG. If you are the type of person who put thousands of hours into FFT, it'll lovingly massage the itch that you may have forgotten about. But I agree with the previous comment: you might play it and think it's a bit of an outdated model, mainly in that the basic gameplay is just pretty slow. If it had a few more speed-up options, like turning off animations or something (or, as suggested, just a straight-up fast forward button), I'd give it a full recommendation, like I did earlier in this thread when I was still in my first 10 hours or so. As it stands, I'd only give it a strong rec for aforementioned FFT people.

I played The Last Remnant to completion twice without putting battles on Turbo or skipping animations. In fact I almost never skip animations, I guess it doesn't usually bother me. That said, this could be a game where it does bother me, I don't know. I'll look up some gameplay videos (like this one) and see.

GrandpaPants posted:

If you're thinking about starting it now, you might want to wait 1-2 months for the expansion DLC to come out. They've recommended that it's one of those "fresh game" types of DLCs, rather than just adding a new story or whatnot.

Thanks for the tip, I already wishlisted it, so I'll hold off for the moment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

I had no idea about this supposedly awesome Saints Row 3 remaster and did some research to find out it's EGS exclusive lol. It's crazy how many games fly under the radar because they decided to sign an exclusivity deal with Epic.

As much as an upgrade to the look it is unless they also remaster Saints Row 3 to actually be good I’m not too bothered.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

As much as an upgrade to the look it is unless they also remaster Saints Row 3 to actually be good I’m not too bothered.

I wonder if they’ll let you turn off the win buttons like invincibility after you unlock them now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hmm thinking about it didn't they announce they were remaking saints row 2 a while back too, now there's the saints row remaster i'm interested in

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
All I care about is the SR2 unfucked release. If Volition ever finishes that, and it's good, I will buy whatever the gently caress else they're selling, I really don't give a poo poo. Saints Row 2 is so loving good.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Peewi posted:

You can open search and limit it to games. Of course that doesn't account for any games that aren't available in your region.

It's saying 41,435 for me.

You have the moves. 41,448 for me. @_@ Then there are mods that are essentially games, just in case it was too easy. Sometimes expansions are sold as DLC too which can further muddy the waters depending on how you want to look at things.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

hmm thinking about it didn't they announce they were remaking saints row 2 a while back too, now there's the saints row remaster i'm interested in

They found the source code so they're porting the game again while also porting the dlc that the consoles got that never came to the pc.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is very weird to play that DLC that someone managed to bring to the PC. You just have to imagine that the mission has a bunch of new stuff going on while text is telling you what is happening.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

They did, but it's apparently a two person team working on it. Though I don't think it's supposed to be a remake or remaster, just an overhaul to the original port to "make things right".

It's also supposed to include the DLC that never came out on the PC.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm not sure if 'waste your bandwidth to download half life so you can start it and then uninstall it again' is the best theme for an event, but you do you steam.

Edit: Cool the old SAM program still works and counts as being 'in game', silly badge done

I was lucky and had 5 different categories with stuff that was still installed, so I could ignore the "first game" one and just download some 250mb game for another.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
category postin

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
My categories names aren't very interesting.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

There should be a category for games you don't play for the gameplay (which can be bad), but for the experience. Games like Pathologic or the later Legacy of Kain games.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Commander Keene posted:

I have 33 games on Steam, and my first three were Portal (I got it for free; it was why I signed up for Steam like a decade ago, it was also my only Steam game for a while), Dungeons of Dredmor, and Borderlands.

Having the smallest most curated library > big library

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
There were some comments in the past few pages, but I just discovered the GoG Galaxy integration thing and... this poo poo kinda rules?

It picked up everything from all my platforms efforelessly, ports played time/cheevos over, I can install/uninstall from here, see all the available MS game pass games and just launch/manage everything from a single place. I tried PlayNite at some point but it kept duplicating some games (Origin for the most part) and kept detecting uninstalled games.

It doesn't look half bad either. I think I just found my launcher manager.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Category posting:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
now is that you writing it off or the developers?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Me. Mostly that's older games that I couldn't get to work, or stuff I got in a bundle that I have no interest in actually playing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I like the little one to five stars thing, I think I'll steal that idea.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I've only heard bad things about Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, but I had so much fun with AC7, and since Assault Horizon is in my library from some bundle or other......is it worth a go? I did install it once but gave up five minutes into the opening COD helicopter minigun level. I know it's got some weird cinematic dogfight mode thing, but youtube seems to suggest it also has at least some of the gameplay I loved in AC7......

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I couldn't actually get everything on screen at once, so 4X, ARPG, Board Games, City Builders, and CRPG got cut off.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 23, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

I've only heard bad things about Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, but I had so much fun with AC7, and since Assault Horizon is in my library from some bundle or other......is it worth a go? I did install it once but gave up five minutes into the opening COD helicopter minigun level. I know it's got some weird cinematic dogfight mode thing, but youtube seems to suggest it also has at least some of the gameplay I loved in AC7......

There is some decent Ace Combat gameplay in Assault Horizon but it's buried under a huge pile of QTE awfulness, bad gunner missions, and the blandest canned CoD this side of cat food.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It does have one of my favorite missions of the series, though. The mission with the B1 or B2 ruled so hard.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Outer Wilds is one of the best games I've ever played and I hope the steam release next month gets it some more love.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It does have one of my favorite missions of the series, though. The mission with the B1 or B2 ruled so hard.

I assume you can replay missions? Maybe I'll find a 100% savegame and have a go at the good levels.....

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I only just noticed Velocity Ultra is on Steam, and currently on sale for $1.39. Ultra and its sequel were two of my favorite games on the PSVita; I couldn't say how well the touchscreen controls would translate to a gamepad or mouse & keyboard, but if "puzzle game disguised as a high-speed shmup" sounds interesting definitely give it a look.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I like the little one to five stars thing, I think I'll steal that idea.

There's a consistent meaning to those categories in my library, which you may find useful.

☆ - I don't understand why anyone likes this.
☆☆ - I didn't like it but I get why other people do.
☆☆☆ - I liked it but I'm not going to recommend it without qualifications.
☆☆☆☆ - I liked it and I'll give it an unqualified recommendation.
☆☆☆☆☆ - This was something really special.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Between the three hours I've put into Avernum 1 today and the 90 minutes I've put into Queen's Wish today, I finally, finally understand why people keep buying Jeff Vogel's games. Both games are similar yet vastly different, and both are super rewarding to play and explore in different ways. I'm not fighting with the interface in either game, I'm not getting bogged down by anything, I'm just having fun and finding loot and upgrading my characters/forts.

This is not to say that Avadon or Geneforge are bad, more to say that Avadon's style hasn't clicked for me (It might now! But who knows, it's still an extremely wordy game that didn't draw me in when I last played, years ago) and that Geneforge is ooooooold. I'm super looking forward to the remake!

It's also nice that they're lightweight - in the sense that I think "ah I'll boot up, play ten-fifteen minutes and get something done" and that's what I do. Sometimes I play more because I'm having fun, sometimes I don't. That's really handy as I'm not up for longer, more involved things currently. (asscreed origins, umineko and troubleshooter are keeping me busy. and others)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You might want to consider jumping ahead to Geneforge 5, if you want to play a somewhat more modernized take on the concept. Although there are five games to the series and they share a certain overarching conflict plotline, the individual games are more or less self-contained. Geneforge 5 is one of the very best of the bunch and offers a massively huge world full of quest, characters and abilities to explore without locking you into a tiny tiny 90s interface the way Geneforge 1 does.

If you want to play the others afterwards anyway, then so much the better, you won't really be spoiled on any of them even if you do.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Nevermind, I can't read.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I bought a little usb bluetooth adapter to use my xbone controller on my pc, and I can sometimes get it to detect the controller and it shows up like normal but it drops inputs like loving crazy. Completely unusable. Anyone have any suggestions beyond "get a new adapter"?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love seeing the different sorting styles people use.

But I also feel reassured when people play games instead of sorting them all the time. I've fallen into that trap with both my games and my books - sorting instead of consuming. Sigh.

Live Free-ishly: "BUY. CONSUME. SORT."

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I feel like this take is so galaxy-brain bad it can earn mockery here, too. They say Steam once.

https://twitter.com/miniondeathcult/status/1264021531929108481

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like this take is so galaxy-brain bad it can earn mockery here, too. They say Steam once.

https://twitter.com/miniondeathcult/status/1264021531929108481

I mean if they really want to support capitalist individualism then buying the game from a middleman that takes a large cut is the best way to do that

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

I bought a little usb bluetooth adapter to use my xbone controller on my pc, and I can sometimes get it to detect the controller and it shows up like normal but it drops inputs like loving crazy. Completely unusable. Anyone have any suggestions beyond "get a new adapter"?

Try an USB extension cord and see if that helps. Let the adapter sit as far away from the case as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Edmond Dantes posted:

There were some comments in the past few pages, but I just discovered the GoG Galaxy integration thing and... this poo poo kinda rules?

Yeah. I use GOG a lot more now. I'm glad to finally have a reliable launcher of launchers. Currently, I just use it to launch R6: Siege for the most part, but I love throwing more things on it to keep all my stuff organized. Even attached Guild Wars 2 to it.