Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Is that where the cuck sits and watches from the corner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

actionjackson posted:

Testing bedroom with a chair with my hoodie on it :p

Yeah it has to be an actually nice chair, the dunce/cuck chair isn't a good look.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/living-room-accent-chair-in-bedroom-36751263

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm actually going to go full minimalism and just leave it empty and see how I do with it. I did pull out the dresser a bit which lessens the amount of emptiness you see from the door.

I'm not going to buy a thing just for the purposes of putting it in a corner unless, after having it this way for a while, that it's really needed.

I will shamelessly admit that I looked at prada's old posts as I wanted to see his furniture :) but he did also post this interesting link that I'm trying to follow.

https://www.mydomaine.com/minimalist-interior-design

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Most rooms have a sight line when you approach / enter them and you put things around that sight line. You can leave the rest empty and it just pulls attention toward whatever you do have there

Also, most people talk about the focal point of a room like it's just a room in a void, but in reality, it's usually based off your line of sight from when you enter and see in from a different room. If you're decorating room A, start in connecting room B and note what you can see of A as you approach and where your focus moves as you enter.

eg, when I enter my living room from the hallway, I only get a view of one corner of the room and a window. The window is the focus point during transition, while whatever I put in that corner is going to be the "main" focus upon entry due to its proximity to the transitional focus point.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

actionjackson posted:

Testing bedroom with a chair with my hoodie on it :p

wave radio seems to work well next to the plant, though again this dresser is Ikea so I'm amazed it hasn't caused it to break apart.

In reading about minimalism, one of the first things mentioned was just to leave an area empty or at least decluttered for a while. The chair may seem like it's not enough now, but perhaps that will change!

put away your ugly laundry basket

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's an Eames hamper, it cost 15 thousand dollars. Anyway with it removed, I also moved the dresser a bit closer to the corner, but not much. My thinking is that this also moves the plant closer to the window, so when you go from the window to the left you focus on that and the dresser, not the empty corner.

As for focal points, if I enter from the bathroom across the way, it's basically the view in the picture, while if I enter from the living area it's the other corner where the side table is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 23, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This TV stand that I've basically settled on, something about it bothered me with the doors removed and it felt a little plain. That's because it reminded me of this from a week ago:

Josh Lyman posted:

This would pick up some of the grey from my couch but it looks a bit ugly in this photo:

BUT then I had an epiphany. My actual problem with those stands is that they're not much wider than the TV. The sexiest TV setups I've seen on Houzz have really long floating consoles. I can't do floating, but I can do really long, kinda like this. It would also save me from using stools as speaker stands:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 23, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a standard depth for console table? This one I think would be great for my dining table replacement to go perpendicular to my desk. It's at desk height, but still has the depth I need of 24". Most console tables seem to be more like 18" deep which would be too little. This table wouldn't be getting a lot of wear and tear, so not really interested in spending this much hah

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/console-tables/parsons-console-tables

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Josh Lyman posted:

This TV stand that I've basically settled on, something about it bothered me with the doors removed and it felt a little plain. That's because it reminded me of this from a week ago:

BUT then I had an epiphany. My actual problem with those stands is that they're not much wider than the TV. The sexiest TV setups I've seen on Houzz have really long floating consoles. I can't do floating, but I can do really long, kinda like this. It would also save me from using stools as speaker stands:

if it's not RTA, measure everything including the entrance you'll bring it into.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

if it's not RTA, measure everything including the entrance you'll bring it into.
It’s 3 coffee tables/tv stands side by side. :ssh:

I think that faux-granite TV stand would actually look really cool in a 10 foot long setup but I don’t think I can remove the middle shelf. The Ikea one I photoshopped into my living, I know I can remove the middle shelf.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I really like #3, plus it’ll hide stains and dirt.

Shhh... gray is the only option. Introducing even a mild pattern will attract bears to your home, who will do something truly horrifying... like introduce a color in a non- chlorophyll form.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My loveseat is a navy blue and even it looks like a neutral against my backdrop

It’s just colorful enough to be interesting but not enough that it draws attention specifically to its color

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s 3 coffee tables/tv stands side by side. :ssh:

I think that faux-granite TV stand would actually look really cool in a 10 foot long setup but I don’t think I can remove the middle shelf. The Ikea one I photoshopped into my living, I know I can remove the middle shelf.
You can remove anything if you're properly motivated.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just relaxing with my tagine

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

My loveseat is a navy blue and even it looks like a neutral against my backdrop

It’s just colorful enough to be interesting but not enough that it draws attention specifically to its color

For once I wasn't giving you poo poo. There's a strong /r/maleivingspaces trend creeping into this thread, and whatever I think about your tastes it's definitely better than that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Brawnfire posted:

Just relaxing with my tagine

god drat I thought I was the only one but then no, it couldn’t be, why would someone have a tagine in their coffee table

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

that's an Eames hamper, it cost 15 thousand dollars. Anyway with it removed, I also moved the dresser a bit closer to the corner, but not much. My thinking is that this also moves the plant closer to the window, so when you go from the window to the left you focus on that and the dresser, not the empty corner.

As for focal points, if I enter from the bathroom across the way, it's basically the view in the picture, while if I enter from the living area it's the other corner where the side table is.

any thoughts on the dresser placement? I adjusted the little picture above so it's centered. Normally I wouldn't want to have so little be on the side of the room closer to the door, but Abby's dog palace uses enough of that space :woof:

Basically what I'm asking is, when I walk in what do I want to see in the corner? As it is here where it shows slightly but the attention gets drawn to the plant right away? Or better to have the dresser and plant obscure the bottom corner completely?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

actionjackson posted:

I'm going to post some more pics of my bedroom - overall I'm very happy with this room - it's very comforting and has the blue/gray/walnut kind of palette I'm looking for.

I just got this plant which I think looks really nice and adds some vibrant color. The dresser (and nightstand) will be upgraded to something of actual quality, like the walnut copenhagen series from room and board (https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/dressers/copenhagen-dressers). I'm wondering about what to do with that corner though - I don't really need that crappy bookcase, and most of the books on it I will either be selling once stores open up again. I do use the radio (for my dog lol) but that could go on the dresser. Is there some other way I could fill that space? Perhaps move the dresser over more? If my new dresser is the longer kind it would probably make the question moot, but I'd prefer a 4-5 drawer tall over a wider one with two columns of the drawers Also I might put the hamper in the closet as it does look kind of weird there.

On this side, my only issue is that stupid intercom high up. I don't use it at all (if someone comes by they just call me). I did put up a little print there, but the problem is that's well above high level, so I think it looks a bit awkward. It might be okay to just leave it like this though.

Okay please ignore the crap on the floor :) Why the hell is the electric box there??? Who the gently caress decided that? Is there any way to cover that up given it's in such a weird spot (i.e. right next to the change in the wall angle)?

this is the same pic as above. I'm wondering if I can get away with having just the right print be on this wall. Above the bed it looks awkward because it's pretty much square.

One option I would be interested in is a sconce that could go above the bed. However I honestly very rarely have any lights at on in this room - when I'm reading in bed it's with an e-reader so it's not necessary. If I want to read a physical book I sit in the other room next to a lamp :)

If that is a hamper for dirty laundry then quite frankly it belongs in your bathroom; not in your bedroom, or the bedroom closet.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Josh, have you considered a media console and then getting soundbar? For example many of the BDI consoles have gaps to let remote frequencies in, and a soundbar shelf.

https://www.bdiusa.com/products/corridor-8177-modern-tv-stand-media-storage-drawer

These aren't cheap, but are incredibly high quality, and given how much you use the tv would be worth considering at some point.

The Lord Bude posted:

If that is a hamper for dirty laundry then quite frankly it belongs in your bathroom; not in your bedroom, or the bedroom closet.

yes I already got yelled at that above :)

it was a shameful placement

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How does a hamper not belong in a bedroom lmao? Galaxy brain my wife: "Oh yeah let's keep this in the bathroom so all the laundry soaks up moisture, that'll end well!"

I keep mine in the vestibule though, it's behind a door and right next to the bathroom.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lol a laundry hamper in any regular suburban sized bathroom or smaller is a terrible idea at best.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No, no everyone has room in their massive walk in closet and palatial bathroom for their hamper!

If not, in can just go in your laundry room or servant's quarters

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Just get a laundry chute you poors.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

latinotwink1997 posted:

Just get a laundry chute you poors.

Where does the chute go? We just don't know.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
just lol if you wear clothes, transcend the consumerist lifestyle and join Nudist Beach

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Where does the chute go? We just don't know.

To the incinerator, duh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

just lol if you wear clothes, transcend the consumerist lifestyle and join Nudist Beach

I went to the nudist beach and fuken Greenpeace rolls in and tries to push me into the ocean.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

latinotwink1997 posted:

To the incinerator, duh.

Seriously

Lol if ever wear the same clothes twice you filthy poors

You don't need a hamper, just an open garbage pit

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

mutata posted:

Lol a laundry hamper in any regular suburban sized bathroom or smaller is a terrible idea at best.

Why?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Because goons let their moist rear end underwear pile up for three weeks until it solidifies into a puck-like miasma in their $3 laundry baskets, attempting to load it into the washing machine like trimming a foul shawarma

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

Because goons let their moist rear end underwear pile up for three weeks until it solidifies into a puck-like miasma in their $3 laundry baskets, attempting to load it into the washing machine like trimming a foul shawarma

Oh I just do my laundry instead of that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Buy 100% organic clothes, grind them up when dirty and feed them to a goat, eat the goat. Problem solved.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Buy 100% organic clothes, grind them up when dirty and feed them to a goat, eat the goat. Problem solved.

Meat is yucky

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Look at you schlubs who don’t have a laundry chute in your house. (Ignore the romex, that’s a previous owner’s terrible idea of how to remediate knob and tube.)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.amara.com/products/laundry-basket-white

£637

:wow:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It gets wet and humid in there and laundry hampers will tend to hold on to that humidity. At least it does for those of us who bathe regularly. Even if you're doing laundry weekly, that's still long enough to start some growth.

Also aeresol poop and pee particulates, but mostly the humidity thing.

My main reason, though, is because there's literally not enough room for them in these average suburban skinny alcove tub bathrooms in my house.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I dress and undress in my bedroom, so that's where the dirty clothes hamper lives. Why would I bring anything unnecessary into a damp bathroom?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

mutata posted:

It gets wet and humid in there and laundry hampers will tend to hold on to that humidity. At least it does for those of us who bathe regularly. Even if you're doing laundry weekly, that's still long enough to start some growth.

Also aeresol poop and pee particulates, but mostly the humidity thing.

My main reason, though, is because there's literally not enough room for them in these average suburban skinny alcove tub bathrooms in my house.

I guess I do my laundry way more often than that so it’s not as much of an issue.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Emperor's New Laundry Basket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’ve been idly browsing house listings in my area the last couple of weeks, and one trend I’ve noticed is a stovetop facing the bar of an open-plan living space, like this:

My question is: why? It seems like a nightmare with no hood or even recirculator to speak of, and I don’t think it would be any easier to hold a conversation with someone while cooking. Is this just a flipper thing for the ~ a e s t h e t i c ~ or are people actually using their stovetops this way?