Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's why a lot of docks have ethanol-free gas, 'cause boat motors sit quite a bit. We use it with my friend's generator for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What I wanted to get at is the Volt being one of the few very well engineered GM cars. He's worried that since his trips are short enough to only be on battery, the fuel in the tank will go stale. Problem is, the Volt (even the first gen ones) was designed to prevent this. The fuel tank itself is pressurized for one. Second, if it detects only battery usage for six weeks, it'll automatically run an engine maintenance mode to make sure everything is running properly and burn a tiny bit of fuel (If mine runs it's around ~0.05gal). It'll run this every six weeks after with no fuel usage. And finally, if the system detects an average of a year with old fuel it'll run a fuel maintenance mode to burn old gas. The manual even states adding fresh fuel then allowing fuel maintenance to run will maximize time between this happening.

Combined with the fact that I'm pretty sure he's going to be commuting with gas within the year he literally has nothing to worry about

Edit: Not saying anyone above me is wrong, you're all correct, just clarifying that the Volt is a special case in that it's somehow more idiotproof than normal

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I know. Maybe somebody in the chat pointed it out for him? I dunno. I don't think stabil will hurt anything though, besides about $15. Also in classic GM, anything good they cancel. But that's getting off topic. :P

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

What about gas being stored in canisters? I bought some extra in case society broke down and we went Mad Max. Can I just... shake it a bit?

mewse
May 2, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

What about gas being stored in canisters? I bought some extra in case society broke down and we went Mad Max. Can I just... shake it a bit?

Gas should be good for about a year untreated. I fill up a couple jerry cans at the start of the warm season for my motorcycle and lawn mower, then at the end of the season if there's old gas in there I dump it in my car which seems more than happy to burn it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GruntyThrst posted:

Yes just make sure you're using garbage cans for storage

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Artistic depiction of the latest GN video:

Tech Jesus Driving the Zalmans from the Temple, El Greco, 1568

(Dude really hates Zalman.)

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It's funny watching the two reviews of the Zalman R1 case, from Gamers Nexus and Linus.

Linus's videos haven't changed in five years (good production but quick and little useful detail) whereas Steve looked like he was a kid doing the show in his mom's basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFHhudWafUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYuphCFbC8

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Even bedroom Linus tried harder. C'mon past Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfwrubJC3II

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Steve and GN is about the only one of these types of channels I can tolerate these days they're overall great, but as been said before, they really could do well to start paring the amount of data back in their video reviews. I'm sure it's a monetary concern to some extent as I understand YT's compensation policy wrt ads + video length, but drat their reviews where they're comparing against multiple products at once can be a real slog.

Watching their Ryzen 3100 review just drives that home, the screen showing charts with 30+ separate lines and Steve speed-reading listlessly through the written review for each separate benchmark, drat. I mean just cut out 2/3rds of those CPU's in the graphs at least to make the comparisons legible, really don't think we need to know how the 3100 fares against a 16 core/32 thread Ryzen, but maybe that's just me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you're not wrong but GN know their niche, and that niche is Steve reading walls of text and showing massive charts. It's the PC gamer's PC gamer channel.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I first watched a GN video after one was linked somewhere ITT and occasionally check out what they have going on, but most of the reviews are borderline incomprehensible because Steve's just rushing through a ton of text and numbers.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, I first watched a GN video after one was linked somewhere ITT and occasionally check out what they have going on, but most of the reviews are borderline incomprehensible because Steve's just rushing through a ton of text and numbers.

problem is that tons of well researched graphs are the absolute best thing you would want to understand how good a component is, but the absolute worst thing to put in a video

the only channel i’ve seen that actually incorporates graphs well is digitalfoundry, where you get a video of the gameplay overlaid with a live fps/frame time graph. it’s really good to help them explain micro-level performance quirks and actually makes use of the video format.

i’m sure GN would say that the written review is the more informative piece, but i’m sure they’d also say that the exposure you get from having a youtube presence is too much to pass up

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
GN has explicitly stated that YT is what pays the bills - the ad spots at the start of each clip is where the money's at. IIRC Steve even said at some point that he himself would rather be reading the reviews but they gotta go on video to keep the business sustainable. So watch GN's actually interesting video content instead, like the factory tours, read the reviews on the website and throw them a dollar on Patreon instead if you feel like it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The problem is that the site reviews go up late if ever, and sometimes things that should be in the text are only in the images, making it hard to search. It's not really Steve's fault, just the state of things right now. Idiots would rather watch youtube videos of someone reading text than read text themselves. Can't really justify allocating more of his limited resources to something that doesn't make money.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus's server room actually caught on fire for once due to an improperly installed UPS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzHbFzF6W20

mewse
May 2, 2006

That electrician is blameless for that old unit catching on fire and Linus is like "I can see both sides of this"

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Eaton sent a decent chunk of it to him for free, and he admitted that throwing the electrician under the bus was part of the deal.

In all reality it was a potentially poorly assembled and definitely poorly maintained unit. If anything, the blame lies on Eaton and Linus equally. Brian did no wrong.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Watched the first couple of minutes and I honestly don't know if he's being sarcastic or not when he literally goes "So Eaton said we have to have a bunch of clearance behind the UPS for airflow I guess so I knocked out a wall and made this space behind it, which is great cause now I can store all this poo poo in there!" and also still having 3" thick sound deadening still there where the wall was.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rudager posted:

Watched the first couple of minutes and I honestly don't know if he's being sarcastic or not when he literally goes "So Eaton said we have to have a bunch of clearance behind the UPS for airflow I guess so I knocked out a wall and made this space behind it, which is great cause now I can store all this poo poo in there!" and also still having 3" thick sound deadening still there where the wall was.

It looks like the sound material is gone by the end of the video and he only stores a little stuff so maybe someone explained this to him by the point

mewse
May 2, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Eaton sent a decent chunk of it to him for free, and he admitted that throwing the electrician under the bus was part of the deal.

In all reality it was a potentially poorly assembled and definitely poorly maintained unit. If anything, the blame lies on Eaton and Linus equally. Brian did no wrong.

Yeah and he says they were supposed to have an Eaton technician at the original install but he's saying "I can see both sides" like the electrician carries half the blame

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So I don't watch Linus usually, and particularly not when he's doing his Jackass Of Tech style videos.

But where does that server closet full of ridiculous badly-designed over-expensive equipment exhaust to? Or is it just 125 degrees in there with the door shut and hatches closed? That's a set of stairs behind those hatches where he had the sound foam, it looks like it was designed as a storage closet on the building plan. Not the type of space normally known for ventilation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm glad to see that my thread title still applies. Jesus gently caress Linus.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

So I don't watch Linus usually, and particularly not when he's doing his Jackass Of Tech style videos.

But where does that server closet full of ridiculous badly-designed over-expensive equipment exhaust to? Or is it just 125 degrees in there with the door shut and hatches closed? That's a set of stairs behind those hatches where he had the sound foam, it looks like it was designed as a storage closet on the building plan. Not the type of space normally known for ventilation.

I watched the whole series of videos on his server closet build (with recycled blue jean sound dampening!!) and I don't think they ever discussed exhaust venting.

One really funny thing I noticed in this most recent video is that they're putting the UPS stack behind the server rack. Server racks intake air at the front, and exhaust hot air at the back, directly into this UPS unit

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

mewse posted:

One really funny thing I noticed in this most recent video is that they're putting the UPS stack behind the server rack. Server racks intake air at the front, and exhaust hot air at the back, directly into this UPS unit

It's OK there's like 3-4 cubic meters of sealed in air behind the UPS for it to vent that hot air + it's own heat into forever.

After watching to the end, the icing on the cake was the fan setup to blow into where they installing the UPS, presumably because it was uncomfortably hot working in there for a few hours.

I feel sorry for Eaton having to write off a bunch of poo poo and help him fix this poo poo up because the alternative is a, probably unintentionally by Linus to be fair, bad PR video goes up to his massive audience that his really good Eaton UPS just randomly blew up!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Klyith posted:

These are the only Linus videos worth watching imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like LTT but the thumbnails and video titles kind of annoy me because the actual content of the videos is usually pretty normal by comparison.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Blame Google/Youtube's reliance on their ML bullshit for everything. For some reason their algorithm converged to a solution that promotes that poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's in it for Eaton to send a UPS to LTT? Is there much overlap between people who watch his videos who don't already know Eaton make UPS hardware and people with purchasing decision making powers? Are there some Reddit sysadmins learning on the job while being underpaid and building gaming rigs for work usage with pirated Windows that are being targeted here?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

What's in it for Eaton to send a UPS to LTT? Is there much overlap between people who watch his videos who don't already know Eaton make UPS hardware and people with purchasing decision making powers? Are there some Reddit sysadmins learning on the job while being underpaid and building gaming rigs for work usage with pirated Windows that are being targeted here?

It's not a freebie, Linus is a paying customer

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Eaton did do them a favor though since they were out of warranty but I'm guessing bad press from LTT over this is probably not worth denying a replacement.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

I'm glad to see that my thread title still applies. Jesus gently caress Linus.

Jealous much?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles posted:

Jealous much?

what?

I made an offhand comment in some thread years back about how we needed another thread to discuss the youtube tech idiots as I collectively, jokingly called them (because we were talking about tech jesus a lot), and this thread got made with this title because of it. That's all. I'm just amused at Linus being an idiot, like always.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Former Human posted:

It's funny watching the two reviews of the Zalman R1 case, from Gamers Nexus and Linus.

Linus's videos haven't changed in five years (good production but quick and little useful detail) whereas Steve looked like he was a kid doing the show in his mom's basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFHhudWafUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYuphCFbC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoaCwGVwCV4

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

I love this

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whCHfejM18

Linus was right??? From late February:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPoPwrQwm_g

At the time that video came out I remember people (including other techtubers) saying it wouldn't be a big deal, :lol: to how that turned out.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Did anyone say that there wasn't going to cause shortages? All I remember is "don't panic buy computer parts you'll need that for food".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whCHfejM18

Linus was right??? From late February:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPoPwrQwm_g

At the time that video came out I remember people (including other techtubers) saying it wouldn't be a big deal, :lol: to how that turned out.

They didn't say it wouldn't be a big deal, they said "buy a computer NOW" was a stupid sentiment, and that if you had an adequate PC running out to panic buy new poo poo was stupid.

Here's what 99% of people in the PC build thread buy a new, more powerful computer for: video games. It's cool, I like games too, but if you can't play a video game it's not a big deal. (Plus anyone who owns a PC and plays games probably has at least 50 unplayed games they picked up on steam sales etc that work just fine on their old PC.)

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The best games are from the late 90s/early 2000s anyways, there's no need to buy a new computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Klyith posted:

They didn't say it wouldn't be a big deal, they said "buy a computer NOW" was a stupid sentiment, and that if you had an adequate PC running out to panic buy new poo poo was stupid.

I'm pretty sure that's what Linus's video actually said too (not gonna lie the title is clickbait), just that if you were gonna upgrade do it now. I don't feel like watching the video again to confirm exactly what he said though.