Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Lobok posted:

It's been too many years to remember all the detail but Saints Row 2 felt like the spiritual sequel to GTA III for me and had lots of little quality-of-life improvements to mechanics and controls that made it less aggravating to play compared to GTA 3 and Vice City. SR3 and 4 start to get a little too over-the-top for me but 2 was perfect.

SR 3 was my favorite and 4 is the one that went a bit too far, though as an escalation of 3 which was an escalation of 2 I enjoyed it on release. 3 is the one I have the fondest memories of. Instead of the dour immigrant tries to get his life together but OOPS HE’S A NUTCASE WHEN THE PLAYER FEELS LIKE IT, Saints Row 3 leans all the way in to the idea that you are a supervillain. You have a gang, you invade headquarters, you take territory, you dress as vibrantly as you like.

The game is a love letter to player choice. Everything the player uses from clothes to guns to vehicles is customizable with a ridiculous range of cosmetic options. You can dress your gang members (like any self respecting super villain). There are six (6!) voice sets for the fully VA’d player character. And then a Zombie voice just for fun. All of this is totally cosmetic and pointless and just wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you own Saints Row 2 on steam, Volition is working on getting it to work on modern systems with working multiplayer. I'd kill for an actual remaster of 2, though. It's the best of the bunch and still has the best character customization in any game. It really nailed the tone and the world is incredibly detailed with a lot of fun nonsense to get up to.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/494590500?filter=archives&sort=time

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Firstborn posted:

I, too, spent hours on my HUmar getting sweet katana and hating goes to Caves* (but Mines owned). I played a little bit of PSO version 2 much later and it was good, too.

* - The boss at Caves was great, as was the music.

I'm sad that we aren't getting PSO2. I've yet to find a game that plays similar where you actually have to press the button to time your moves, instead of holding a button to attack.

Edit: I might get saints row 3 remastered just for the online coop alone.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 23, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

One of the biggest issues with the post SR2 games is how lifeless the city, AI, and backdrop felt in comparison to the original two, largely because the scale of destruction and the absurdity of the tools and abilities you had in 3 and 4 reduced them to goofy amounts of carnage that unfortunately reduced the smaller, more charming incidents of stupidity. In 4 you basically have zero reason to use a car or be on the ground level for very long.

It's harder to terrorize the AI and enjoy it if everything is just so ludicrously over the top that you barely interact with it meaningfully since you'll hardly see those minor interactions. By the time 4 rolled around I was glad to play GTA5 instead because it was funnier punching someone in the back of the head then tripping over a fire hydrant as people screamed and ran into traffic than it was flying around at mach speed with nothing to really make that carnage hit home with satisfying NPC reactions. SR3 and 4 just felt very detached from the cities they took place in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
4 especially suffered from reusing 3's city.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The original plan was for 4 to be an expansion to 3 right? Neither one of them felt like complete games to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

4 especially suffered from reusing 3's city.

Yeah. Ultimately I just found 4 very boring because the city/game wasn't designed around the super powers it gives you. Also hated the neon day glo permanent night aesthetic. I also found the driving/shooting/planes etc in 3 to be really fun, and they were all there in 4 but there was just no point to using them. 3 was just a much much better game imo.

Actually really interested in that remaster now. Sr3 was just a super fun game to dick around on and I loved the sheer amount of customization on everything. The humor is painfully bad but everything else about it was just a blast. I think I'll wait for a sale though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My only question about the SR3 remaster is can I still use that glitch to pimp out the tank?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh poo poo Nioh 2 for 40 bux is pretty tempting though.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Wish it was 2 getting the treatment as well. That was the perfect balance of GTA/Naked Gun absurdity. I played through 3 and 4 recently enough that I'm fine skipping this, but 2 could really benefit from a remaster/upgrade to modern control conveniences.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol the sr3 remaster is a timed epic exclusive on pc

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
SR2 would be the hardest one to do since everything looks like potatoes now. Like, you couldn't just upscale some textures, you'd have to redo the whole thing almost from scratch. That and changing to a more modern control scheme. Even on PC it didn't look that great at the time. But maybe someday :pray:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samurai Sanders posted:

The original plan was for 4 to be an expansion to 3 right? Neither one of them felt like complete games to me.

Yup, 4 was originally the “Enter the Dominatrix” DLC, which itself eventually became a cut content/behind the scenes DLC for SR4.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

i didn't watch it in detail, but i typically don't like when a remaster messes with the lightning and overall look of a game.

an example of the above

it's not like SR3 was beautiful, but they're erasing the original artstyle

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

My dick is an oblong, from a certain point of view.

A certain point of view?

JBP posted:

What if I want alien erotica? What of it?

Watch Lifeforce. :swoon:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man I am really struggling with Guardian Ape, I find it pretty do-able in the 1st phase but i'm struggling to find an opening for damage in the second

Brick wall. BRICK WALL. YESSSSSS.

VIOLENCE :neckbeard: MORE VIOLENCE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWdK9nhQpE0&t=220s

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Ape has broken me. I need to try some farm simulator to chill out

:yeshaha:

:ssh: try fire

exquisite tea posted:

I once read a book about what would happen if humans vanished off the face of the earth and Manhattan would return to a marshland in something like three months because of all the water that's consistently pumped away from the city. Basically all our monuments and technology are ephemeral and would almost instantly decay without our presence there.

So the 'good ending' then.

Grem posted:

Anyone playing Maneater? Cause uh... It's pretty fun!

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeAXXIJvqzM

mysterious frankie posted:

Neither of us increased the overall sum of human understanding, or even successfully met in the middle, but we also didn't question each others moral or intellectual capacity, so by internet discussion standards I feel like this was a win.

Whoever wins, we lose.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Dreamcast was cool but its controller was poo poo. It really could have used two more buttons and another joystick. Six face buttons would have been fine and put it in line with other Sega consoles if they didn't want to use four shoulder buttons. The lack of a right joystick made good camera control pretty much impossible on the system.

Totally agree. Absolute trash. The worst D-pad of all time. Awful loving triggers. Terrible shape. The cord comes out the bottom. Insane.

exquisite tea posted:

That first night of Phantasy Star Online when it sunk in that I was playing with another person on the internet, on my TV, was one of the most mindblowing gaming experiences of my life.

One would think a devout member of the Master Race would've played an online game before :shrug:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rinkles posted:

an example of the above

Ugh I’m so torn on how I feel about this. I really loved the way SR3 looked. I don’t dislike this, it’s actually quite nice looking, but it’s very different.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rinkles posted:

an example of the above

Ehhhhhh I feel like they’re doing a good job of it at least. It’s not like it’s a farmed out port factory job, any of the changes here are from the original team, or close enough to it, and I doubt that the original assets would look nearly as good with the new renderer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Ehhhhhh I feel like they’re doing a good job of it at least. It’s not like it’s a farmed out port factory job, any of the changes here are from the original team, or close enough to it, and I doubt that the original assets would look nearly as good with the new renderer.

it is farmed out.

https://twitter.com/Sperasoft/status/1263845574815744001?s=20

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Neal! posted:

If this is a real roadblock for you watch a video of some guy on YouTube defeating him flawlessly (you can turn it off before the kill if you don't want to see the death blow spoiler I suppose) and listen to the rhythm of the second stage deflects done right. Honestly once you get the exact timing if the button taps down the 2nd stage of the boss becomes simple.

I know what you are trying to say but this is hilarious.

I’m at Fountainhead now, zipping right through having a blast

Also I can’t wait for the JollyBoyJohn posts once he gets to Double Ape!!!!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

an example of the above

It happens that I speak cat, so I can comment this in catunesse MEH. NGEH. WNGEH. wngek. wngk. WNEGRRRRHHEH

https://twitter.com/wiltingilhoon/status/1263551471699652608

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ84BjkPnGU

Maneater looks good, sadly I'm still on a limited budget for the foreseeable future

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

an example of the above

Much appreciated, this helps a lot in highlighting what I was saying. Saints Row wasn't really a game I associated with characters looking like people so this isn't really the best update. I know it was because of graphical limitations but I liked that people were basically like a less intense Fortnite level of cartoonish beforehand.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t mind Pierce or whoever the villain lady is but oh god what did they do to Johnny.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Saints Row games were the ugliest things I've ever seen, even at the time, the first one looked like those joke Maya 3D animations where the guy fights a giant baby or whatever

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Why does the woman look good and the two guys look like they are from a different game.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

bows1 posted:

I know what you are trying to say but this is hilarious.

I’m at Fountainhead now, zipping right through having a blast

Also I can’t wait for the JollyBoyJohn posts once he gets to Double Ape!!!!

I guess it was poorly worded. Very don't get hit, don't die.
What I meant was that compared to some other bosses where working out what attack is coming next is half the battle, the ape stage 2 has slow well telegraphed attacks that are easy to see coming but hard to time and one attack pattern in particular that if you get the parrys perfect will take off like half his posture. So listening to 'ding' sounds in a YouTube video and remembering that rhythm will mean that if you manage to parry the first, very telegraphed strike, you'll parry them all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rinkles posted:

an example of the above

thats weird. i guess i will have to watch it in action because i probably will pick it up at some point.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you miss the original designs for Saints Row 3 the player character is still ugly.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Tlou replay update : I forgot the absurdity of carefully sneaking around clickers and runners, while the NPCs (particularly loving Bill) just stomp around, shouting, and with no consequences.

Anyway, I got as far as the school, then Spiderman arrived in the post, so I guess I'm gonna leave it there!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I remember the city in saint rows looked ugly and uninteresting, if they fixed that, is the type of change that make a game much more than the original.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They made SR3 look better. If you think the old game looks good you have brain worms

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They made SR3 look better. If you think the old game looks good you have brain worms

Yeah all those posts were confusing the hell out of me. It so obviously looks better!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I picked up SR2 after playing 3 and it was one of those things where I guess you had to be there because I didn't think it was very good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

did you say the same thing about the wanderer in sotc?

yes the tech is better, but some of the original artistry is gone.

none of pierce's and viola's stylization is there. and gat looks like a hastily peeled potato.

veni veni veni posted:

I picked up SR2 after playing 3 and it was one of those things where I guess you had to be there because I didn't think it was very good.

it's more about the gang than the moment to moment gameplay. for me anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
SR2 was worth it because you could be a very mean Mr Sheffield.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The original style of SR3 looks like total rear end to me. SOTC looked good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yes i think it's a much smaller deal because it was never incredible to look at, but it did have an artstyle. from what i've seen, the remaster looks bland at best, low effort at worst.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wander does look better in that newer image

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, even as a fan of SR3 I couldn't give a flying gently caress about the art style and think the changes look like an improvement. I was not a fan of Bluepoint's Wander redesign for the same reasons, but we are talking one of the most beloved GOATs for it's art direction vs a really stupid but fun GTA clone. I just can't bring myself to care or have any negative feelings about Saints Row looking different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't care either way about SR3 because that game is ugly as hell no matter what HOWEVER I do think Wander's redesign was one of the few things I didn't like as much about the SotC remake. In the original you kind of get the sense that Wander is still a boy from his almost childlike run cycle to the way he can barely hold up a sword. There's definitely a greater sense of a child impinging upon a world he doesn't understand and cannot control that isn't quite as present in the remake, where he more clearly appears to be 17 or 18. I think a younger Wander is more effective with respect to the themes of the story.