Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of Keeping Up With the Joneses, it's interesting that Clarice is offended by the idea of buying frozen meat.

My family has an in-joke of "New Mexico fresh fish" after one server happily told my mom "of course it's fresh, the plane brought it in just this morning!"

As for the time of the comic, flash-freezing started being a thing in 1929 so you could sell see an issue in quality for frozen meat even from a professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May. 14, 1939)
Please pretend I made a clever joke about COVID-19 here. Thanks in advance.

At least these people take that poo poo seriously.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Really do appreciate the tavern keeper just no question immediately torching his entire livelihood and belongings to protect his family.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Plague is serious business when you have no idea how or why disease works. That man is a realist.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He's wanted to torch his inn for years now.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Then the fire started to spread and burned the entire town, oops!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hwurmp posted:

He's wanted to torch his inn for years now.

At least roll out the kegs & pipes & tuns 'n' poo poo, before the Zippo party. What good is a righeous bonfire without everyone (especially the innkeeper) tying one on.

Keep posting Foster. Can't have too much Valiant.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 23, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I did not know that one of the kids was supposed to be da Vinci but of course he was, everything has to be as dumb as you can.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

OK, now this punchline I can contextualize and explain. The liberal party in South Korea which just won landslide elections last month has long had a reputation of being made up of well-meaning eggheads. This dates back to the current President Moon Jae-in taking control of the party roughly ten years ago because his whole gimmick is that he's kind of a lousy campaigner but extremely smart and such a giant dork it's hard to seriously maintain the idea that he has a single malicious bone in his body.

The liberals have had control of the legislature for four years now, are guaranteed it for another four years due to the recent election, and we're in the third year of Moon Jae-in's five year term. Consequently many of the country's bureaucracies are being remade in the image of people like this rather than the previous hard-partying private nightclub type. The joke here is that social skills and well-connectedness are gradually becoming less important for success in South Korean society, to a degree that's starting to seem ridiculous. Not that the old way of doing things is gone by any means. I expect jokes about the CEO's idiot relatives who he gives jobs to will persist about as long as the comic itself does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

because species stands in for so many different kinds of minorities in holbrooks work i get to imagine which one she would happily fire the moment their economic value to her diminished.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

because species stands in for so many different kinds of minorities in holbrooks work i get to imagine which one she would happily fire the moment their economic value to her diminished.
She's the CEO and owner of a corporation.

Obviously the answer is "all of them".

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Isn't their job to go out and kill people? So they're not doing their job, right? Because of the quarantine? How do you work from home and social distance when your job is to go out and kill people using your claws and/or face? Drones and guns are considered bad form, right? And that's why the Evil Murder Company uses them? (Oh no are we going to be subjected to strips where the Good Murder Company employees go out and kill people while wearing face masks?)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm beginning to suspect Holbrook has gone in so deep on the idea of Kel being a good generic capitalist boss he's completely forgotten what her company actually does.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Julet Esqu posted:

Isn't their job to go out and kill people? So they're not doing their job, right? Because of the quarantine? How do you work from home and social distance when your job is to go out and kill people using your claws and/or face? Drones and guns are considered bad form, right? And that's why the Evil Murder Company uses them? (Oh no are we going to be subjected to strips where the Good Murder Company employees go out and kill people while wearing face masks?)

Nah, they order delivery from the International House Of Prey©

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

Andy Gump was the main character of Sidney Smith's The Gumps, which ran from 1917 to 1959 and was to my taste a pretty standard comic about middle class foibles which was nevertheless extremely popular for awhile.

The Boulevard Vampire is a pretty good name. Just not sure in what context.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thanks for the comments everyone! But Ashsaber, I'm afraid I don't really know much about JoJo, other than that Muhammad Avodol is an attempt at pronouncing Muhammad Abdul in a Japanese accent, so you're gonna have to point out the exact JoJo.

Anyway, enough about the animes, in today's Corto Maltese: Satan is down with the only ehtical form of cannibalism, I guess, or Corto has little sympathy for the devil, or Corto, I don't think it's very sensible to enter agreements with Lucifer simply because you are 'curious'

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

(Is Moomin mugs a thing in the states? Because there's a huge collector's market for them in Scandinavia and some mugs can be really valuable)

Pondus

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Samovar posted:

Thanks for the comments everyone! But Ashsaber, I'm afraid I don't really know much about JoJo, other than that Muhammad Avodol is an attempt at pronouncing Muhammad Abdul in a Japanese accent, so you're gonna have to point out the exact JoJo.
i believe ashsaber is in fact referring to the titular jojo maltese, a westerner who is both quite angular and dressed in a country-unspecific military naval uniform and comparing them to the titular corto jotaro of the bizarre adventures of corto, who is similarly depicted in a fairly angular manner dressed in a gakuran, a japanese school uniform explicitly modelled on western military naval uniforms.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghostlight posted:

i believe ashsaber is in fact referring to the titular jojo maltese, a westerner who is both quite angular and dressed in a country-unspecific military naval uniform and comparing them to the titular corto jotaro of the bizarre adventures of corto, who is similarly depicted in a fairly angular manner dressed in a gakuran, a japanese school uniform explicitly modelled on western military naval uniforms.

poo poo, I didn't even recognize that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

It's a simple pun. The sign says: "Repent", or more literally "Do betterment", which can be translated as "Cure"/"Heal"

Nice plop anyway.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

WOMEN AND SHOES, RIGHT GUYS?! :haw:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Today's Fingerpori

Tali-Ihantala

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 12, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 12, 1998)

Garfield Classic (October 12, 1988)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

This was already answered from British point of view, but yes, it's common in Finnish to refer to your family members as 'our <name>'.

LazyQ fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 23, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Making your elderly mother live upstairs seems like kind of a dick move. Unless there's some extra nuance here I'm missing.

Reminder that the whole "all guys just want to get laid" stereotype is literally toxic masculinity and you're a bad feminist if you're spreading it around.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

Reminder that the whole "all guys just want to get laid" stereotype is literally toxic masculinity and you're a bad feminist if you're spreading it around.

That guy is an arsehole though. They weren't complaining about male feminists, just men who pretend to be feminists and, more importantly, no one was talking to him and he should mind his own business.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

While true you could make the exact same criticism of Zelda herself in a typical strip. And to be totally fair that is kind of the whole reason why the comic is so polarizing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May. 14, 1939)

Please pretend I made a clever joke about COVID-19 here. Thanks in advance.

Just for the record, this one strip dates exactly when Valiant is happening pretty firmly; though Attila never actually conquered Rome itself (that was Alaric, king of the Visigoths), he was making his merry way through Europe in 450-451, and he died in 453, his empire quickly disintegrating after that. So this Valiant strip must be happening between 450 and 453, maybe plus a year or so (to allow for news of the Hun invasion to travel to Britain).

But of course Valiant is a fantasy comic strip which has only the most tenuous link to real life, so... :shrug:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Don't focus on the fact that he's moving his mother to the attic. Focus on the fact that he's not beating her to death in a drunken rage.

Anyway, in Juliet Jones, even more mistreatment of women:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Yes, that is the point of the strip, the joke if you will.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mikl posted:

Just for the record, this one strip dates exactly when Valiant is happening pretty firmly; though Attila never actually conquered Rome itself (that was Alaric, king of the Visigoths), he was making his merry way through Europe in 450-451, and he died in 453, his empire quickly disintegrating after that. So this Valiant strip must be happening between 450 and 453, maybe plus a year or so (to allow for news of the Hun invasion to travel to Britain).

But of course Valiant is a fantasy comic strip which has only the most tenuous link to real life, so... :shrug:

He does have significant interactions with Justinian later on, which is a century later. But the authors do a pretty good job of fixing historic events to the 5th-7th century. The clothing, armor, and architecture of course is hell of anachronistic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

While true you could make the exact same criticism of Zelda herself in a typical strip. And to be totally fair that is kind of the whole reason why the comic is so polarizing.
Yeah, Zelda, the character, is inconsistent. Like, not "inconsistent" as in "the author writes a Good Feminist character but is bad at it and regularly makes her say Bad Feminist things", but intentionally written as inconsistent and flawed. Like a person! And we're never directly told which of her talking points is Actually Bad through direct comeuppance or comments from a designated viewpoint character, we're left to figure that poo poo out, and American comic strips that dabble in politics or social stuff just don't seem to do that. Usually they have that viewpoint character who's always right by default (such as Ed Kudlick or Ruthie and her despicable grandpa) or if they're particularly bad like Luann they're trying to do that but end up making their designated wrong characters the underdog heroes by any non-biased reading.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Stultus Maximus posted:

He does have significant interactions with Justinian later on, which is a century later. But the authors do a pretty good job of fixing historic events to the 5th-7th century. The clothing, armor, and architecture of course is hell of anachronistic.

So it takes place in a 14th century idea of the 5th century

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

A "State Meal" of food styles imported from the US Southeast seems like a real "gently caress you" to the Native Americans who got kicked off the land in Oklahoma they were given "forever" after they were kicked off their original lands - which for many were in the US Southeast.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

...Yeah, pretty much. Took one look at the Corto from the last few days' strips and thought it was pretty much Jotaro's design but with regular human proportions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This incredible birth story was made possible by two factors:
1. One of the twins was born prematurely, but the other was willing to stay put for a while longer
2. I was prepared for one or both of the twins to be born to a surrogate (in which case, big deal that they had different birth dates), but no. Konovalova gave birth to them both. She has a rare condition wherein she effectively has two uteruses... uteri... She's got two of them inside her one body and evidently both are functional, though chances of miscarriage and premature birth are extremely high. So good for her and the kids for getting through it!