Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dragon's can also control the weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Drunk dragons currently excepted

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kild posted:

dragon's can also control the weather

To be fair, all we really know is that he called down lightning to save Luffy. He could have some variant of a lightning fruit, or a storm fruit, etc. I could see the wind fruit working via using wind to rub clouds together to create static electricity to cause thunder, but that sounds more like jojo-levels of wacky poo poo and not quite so much One Piece.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
conquerors haki might allow you to control weather. there's like weird storms and crazy sky poo poo that happens when people with it clash, and roger was able to narrowly escape death with a convenient storm so who knows.

(its probably the weather fruit tho)

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

mamma mia megahouse. I need this pronto

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

RatHat posted:

I mean Hawkins is also just a headliner. It might not be an issue of strength, it’s just that they haven’t been in the crew for very long.

Apoo has been in Kaido's crew long enough to try to infiltrate other crews to leak intel so that Kaido can curbstomp and recruit them. And his reintroduction had him accompanying the numbers who seems like the strongest members with the exception of the Calamities

davidHalestorm posted:

Headliners are just below the Calamities/All-Stars, right? So that's a high pretty rank. And from what we've seen from last chapter, Headliners can become an All-Star if they took one out and replaced them. That implies that the two ranks aren't that far apart in strength, if someone like Who's Who thinks he's got a chance against the likes of Jack, King, and Queen.

Julias posted:

Specifically the Flying Six/Tobi Roppo. A lot of the other headliners are pretty weak in comparison, (Hol D. Em, for example :v: )Though we don't know the gap in power, or if any of the Tobi Roppo might wind up being more powerful than any of the three calamities.

The ranks go something like this, I believe:

Kaido (the leader and the strongest member)
Three Calamities (Jack, Queen, and King; the strongest members after Kaido)
Numbers (inhuman-looking members of Kaido's crew, just below the Calamities in rank.)
Tobi Roppo/Flying Six (The six strongest Headliners. Seems on-par with the Numbers in terms of strength, given that they can in certain situations be able to challenge a Calamity for their rank.)
Headliners (If the mooks are not led by Kaido, the Calamities, the Tobi Roppo/Flying Six, they're led by these guys. This rank is comprised of the more powerful Gifters with the more useful abilities, but also has powerful pirate captains that Kaido and his crew managed to subdue into servitude; they vary in strength depending on their background; Hawkins, a former pirate captain and one of the Worst Generation for example is much more powerful than your typical Headliner, while most SMILE Headliners tend to be on the weaker end)
Gifters (The 10% that got a functional SMILE, the strongest mooks of Kaido's crew)
Pleasures (The 90% that got a faulty SMILE, seems stronger than the Waiters.)
Waiters (The members of Kaido's crew who still hasn't gotten a SMILE yet. Seems to be the weakest members.)

As to who belongs in which rank (listing only a couple examples under the headliners):

Three Calamities: Jack, King, Queen
Numbers: N/A
Tobi Roppo/Flying Six: X. Drake, Page One, Ulti, Who's-Who, Black Maria, Sasaki
Headliners: Basil Hawkins, Holdem, Speed, Bakanuki
Gifters: Batman, Gazelleman, Alpacaman, Madilloman
Pleasures: N/A
Waiters: N/A
Unknown Rank: Scratchmen Apoo, Scotch

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CodfishCartographer posted:

To be fair, all we really know is that he called down lightning to save Luffy. He could have some variant of a lightning fruit, or a storm fruit, etc. I could see the wind fruit working via using wind to rub clouds together to create static electricity to cause thunder, but that sounds more like jojo-levels of wacky poo poo and not quite so much One Piece.

We don't know that he called the lightning or that he was responsible for the storm. All we know is that he probably caused the massive wind gusts. Given the weird rear end weather of the world and the proximity of Logue Town to the Grand Line we can't be entirely sure how much of all of that was Dragon using a fruit power. Even without the weather, he did physically stop Smoker from arresting Luffy thus allowing them to escape.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jose posted:

so we're getting close to the big 1000 what do people think will be in it? the rest of the world learning about kaidou and big mams loss?

Vegapunk reveal. Calling it now.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its cool that vegapunk was mentioned in chapter 433 and we dont know poo poo about him lol. thats longer than the jinbe mention to reveal which i believe is the longest in the series to date.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chapter 1000 will be a special behind the scenes chapter where the actors who play the Strawhats candidly discuss the process of making a One Piece chapter, including some bloopers that were deleted from the pages.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

anime was right posted:

its cool that vegapunk was mentioned in chapter 433 and we dont know poo poo about him lol. thats longer than the jinbe mention to reveal which i believe is the longest in the series to date.
digging through my images for this

This is from a SBS around Thriller Bark or so, I think, maybe early Marineford and I am 100% convinced this is Vegapunk. In fact he might have said as much in another SBS that I dont have on hand

I also found this beautiful example of oda time, this is about Bink's Brew

e:

(this is from around the 520s)

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

anime was right posted:

Only 433? It feels like he's been teased since the beginning.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I love the running gag of 'stealth' in the last few arcs. Every time there's a detailed plan to go undercover and surprise the enemy, Luffy ends up blowing his cover over absolutely nothing.

And holy gently caress what a bomb chapter. Luffy Zoro Law Kidd just blowing their cover over nothing. I think my favorite part of this manga is the exponential growth of insurrmountable threats but every single arc is Luffy diving head-on into the fray. I know Luffy has infinite plot armor but God drat dude you're gonna get killed.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

TBH that could have just been sheer dumb luck that lightning struck buggy on the execution stand.

Comedy option is Skypeia was hovering over and one of Enel's stray bolts touched down while frying some particularly annoying heretics trespassing on the Vearth after juicing it up too much.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Parrotine posted:

TBH that could have just been sheer dumb luck that lightning struck buggy on the execution stand.

Yeah, there was a huge storm rolling through and the execution stand is essentially a huge lightning rod. About the only weather related thing that happened there that couldn't just be a side effect of a regular ol' dramatic storm is the huge wind gusts that sent people flying.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Chapter 1000 is gonna be all of the Strawhats and their friends dying, except Luffy. Luffy will then have a long conversation with Kaido that ends with Kaido using the dragon-dragon fruits secret power to resurrect people at the cost of his own life. Thus saving everyone and getting his own redemption

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
chapter 1000 will be kaidou using the lance of longinus to bring about the third impact

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Apoo has greatly misunderstood the Human Instrumentality Project.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Chapter 1000 will show us Luffy's mom, who was previously shown sitting on a throne and talking to the Gorosei.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I'm not sure why but I like the way this random mook is drawn:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Can Of Worms posted:

I'm not sure why but I like the way this random mook is drawn:

thats not a random mook im pretty sure

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Chapter 1000 will have Kaido dragoning out to fight Luffy and Luffy will combine Gear 3 and Snakeman to make a giant Dragonman form to fight him.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

frajaq posted:

thats not a random mook im pretty sure

That's how the numbers have been drawn so far. Curious to see what they're actually going to look like.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm kinda surprised Kaidou can find so many people who want to eat SMILES.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm kinda surprised Kaidou can find so many people who want to eat SMILES.

they get free food and booze and basically dont really have to do poo poo because they all live in an isolated country that's already been taken over so it sounds like a pretty great job in terms of one piece

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

U WANNA ROLL WITH THE HARDEST DUDES IN THE WORLD
ALL U GOTTA DO IS EAT THIS FRUIT* AND WEAR THE UNIFORM
WE GOT FIGHTS
WE GOT FOOD
WE GOT BOOZE
WE GOT ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES

ITS ALWAYS A PARTY AT KAIDO's

*terms and conditions apply

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Chapter 1000 will be a teaser for One Piece 2, the sequel to One Piece.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Thinking about Toei dragon ball super-ing OP after Oda ends it makes me sad

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

One Piece Shippuden

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

chefscientist posted:

That's how the numbers have been drawn so far. Curious to see what they're actually going to look like.

I always forget that the numbers are even a thing in this manga, are they just Big Scary Silhouettes and nothing more at this point?

White Light fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 24, 2020

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Parrotine posted:

I always forget that the numbers are even a thing in this manga, are they just Big Acary Silhouettes and nothing more at this point?

i hope they actually just look like big scary silhouettes, and its not just some perspective thing

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

Thinking about Toei dragon ball super-ing OP after Oda ends it makes me sad

Well by the time OP ends we'll probably be on death's door so it's not like we'll necessarily have time to feel sad about it or even see it happen!

...this was meant less as a we live in hell world joke and more as a one piece is loving long joke

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

rannum posted:

...this was meant less as a we live in hell world joke and more as a one piece is loving long joke

The series has been very much ramping towards a climax, though. Sure, it's not immediate, but the whole "ha OP will never end am I right" jokes are annoying because Oda actually is pacing it out

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I’m guessing there will only be 2-3 arcs after this one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most arcs last like at least a couple of years now so 3 arcs is still 6 more years of One Piece.

It can be hard to recognise with how there's already almost 1000 chapters but like, wow. There's still probably a couple of hundred chapters left of this thing, and that's pretty insane.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

The series has been very much ramping towards a climax, though. Sure, it's not immediate, but the whole "ha OP will never end am I right" jokes are annoying because Oda actually is pacing it out

we're ramping to a climax definitely but one piece arcs are still fairly long. Wano, as a whole, I'd say has been pretty fast paced! Even Oden's flashback, which had a few people complain about its length, still burned through a lot of events & time within those what 15-20 chapters? & the reverie ... levely intersitials are great and snappy world updates

but also Wano is still in act 3 of 5 and has been going on for about 79 chapters as of now. Even if we took out the between-act world update chapters it's still going to be mammoth of an arc that will probably exceed Dressrosa's ~100 since, as I mentioned before, I just cannot see it wrapping up in 20 chapters on the ol' 1-0-0-0.

And as we continue approaching the final arc I can see these major arcs still maintaining these lengths and I wouldn't be surprised if the Final Arc was the longest of them all. "Dying before seeing one piece end" is an exaggeration sure but I could genuinely see this bad boy take another 10 years to finish.

But then again Oda's always a little unpredictable so who knows, right? Maybe we'll blitz through in another 5.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wait 5 acts, what?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait 5 acts, what?

It’s a kabuki thing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Elbaf, reaching Raftel, big war, final battles vs. the Blackbeards, the only set in stone parts. There could easily be stuff like "settling the Fishman Island plot" and Vegapunk stuff in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

curious for peoples opinions here. will elbaf be a more isolated arc without much baggage or will oda throw a lot of ingredients at it like wano has? there's the big mom angle which i might speculate means she'll make it out of this arc and we'll finish her arc over there but to drag a yonko through 3 arcs seems weird to me.