Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PinheadSlim posted:

You have to wonder how many games that they didn't like that they played all the way through. That's either very few games or they just love playing games they don't like.

don't worry, they're only looking forward to replaying one out of the six games they found so distasteful lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

food court bailiff posted:

don't worry, they're only looking forward to replaying one out of the six games they found so distasteful lol

They aren't distasteful, they are just boring. If you've ever had the Apple Maple Oatmeal military ration, that's what Halo tastes like.

ODST is the best of a mediocre batch.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I hate games that don't make crits aesthetically satisfying.

Earthbound did it the best with the SMAAAAAAAAAAAASH

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Just loving lol at all you nerds bitching about hl2 without ever playing hl2 co-op using the synergy mod and forget to turn down physics polling which crashes your network the first time you blow up a barrel with any amount of debris near it.

Good times.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I played half life 2 a little when it came out: I met a scientist who spoke uninteresting exposition at me for 5 minutes while I was locked in a room
and jumped around hitting the environment with my crowbar, then he teleported me to a sewer level filled with flying robot balls, which were unsatisfying to shoot. Then I stopped playing

9/10: a flawed masterpiece

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
all shooters made after Unreal Tournament 99 are garbage

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Sorry you're bad at video games Bonaventure :(

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
listen here buddy I’ve beaten ninja gaiden 1 without using a single continue,

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The quality of how a story is presented is far more important than how complex or thought-provoking the story is

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
Here's an unpopular halo opinion, putting the words "satisfying gunplay" in the same sentence as "halo" means you gently caress missionary through a hole in a sheet, christ almighty that poo poo is stiff and bland and completely unsatisfying in every regard.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I just installed Halo 2 on my PC and played a bit. Those of you who are seriously comparing this game to Halflife 2 have hilariously broken eyeballs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

halo? more like haaale no

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They are very different games with their ups and downs and currently this thread is a time warp to 2004 GameFAQs discussions.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They are very different games with their ups and downs and currently this thread is a time warp to 2004 GameFAQs discussions.

Halflife 2 remains relevant in 2020 as a high water mark in video game storytelling, pacing and world building.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
somehow

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

HL2's biggest contribution to the video game industry was insanely fake game trailers.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Halflife never ever breaks the connection with the player by using cutscenes; you learn about the world by watching events unfold around you in real time as you explore. It's such an effective way to keep the player immersed in the game that I'm honestly mystified it's not used more often.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 22, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I love when something important happens but I’m facing the wrong way so I don’t see it, it helps me feel like I’m really there and in this seamless immersive world I’m just as gormless as in real life

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I never finished halflife 2 because the boat thing was a piece of poo poo and when I got through that the following area didn't live up to the hype for me and I probably will never finish that game and I don't feel like I'm missing out

For all the supposedly amazing storytelling it sure didn't make me want to keep playing it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tango alpha delta posted:

Halflife never ever breaks the connection with the player by using cutscenes; you learn about the world by watching events unfold around you in real time as you explore. It's such an effective way to keep the player immersed in the game that I'm honestly mystified it's not used more often.

Because when you’re replaying the game you desperately want to skip them but can’t, since it’s not technically a cutscene.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it breaks my connection pretty loving hard when doors lock and won't let me open them because gently caress you unskippable cutscene

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Oh gently caress yes I hate cutscenes. I am so glad this game had me walk really slowly next to someone while they talk. It's so effective and immersing. Can't believe this is such an uncommon technique

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
[gets locked in a small room while a character talks to thin air in a direction that I am not standing]

this is so much better than a cutscene, look how much agency I have. Control was never technically taken away from me, amazing

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Can’t break the connection with the player if you never established it in the first place, a good post.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

They should have given Gordon the ability to yell "SHUT UP!", which would automatically cause the person to skip their non-cutscene.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Because when you’re replaying the game you desperately want to skip them but can’t, since it’s not technically a cutscene.

ACTUALLY, you can set trip mines in front of NPCs and shoot people as they are talking to you, so it's win/win.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bonaventure posted:

I played half life 2 a little when it came out: I met a scientist who spoke uninteresting exposition at me for 5 minutes while I was locked in a room
and jumped around hitting the environment with my crowbar, then he teleported me to a sewer level filled with flying robot balls, which were unsatisfying to shoot. Then I stopped playing

9/10: a flawed masterpiece

I looked at the box of halflige two and it was an unsatisfying experience 0/10

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nice Van My Man posted:

They should have given Gordon the ability to yell "SHUT UP!", which would automatically cause the person to skip their non-cutscene.

Or a crowbar :thunk:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

I looked at the box of halflige two and it was an unsatisfying experience 0/10

the satisfaction is meant to be supplied by your hands masturbating yourself until you come, looking dead into the bespectacled eyes of Gorton Freedman. I suggest you give it another go!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

unlike half life 2, half life 1 is a fantastic game I happen to enjoy a lot, except the loving tram ride at the beginning on playthrough N+1. so I think this opinion would be tremendously stupid even if the multiple scenes where badly animated NPCS give the main character a verbal handjob for existing were compelling or well-written in any way whatsoever, which uh, lol

big garbage robot go roar

e: there’s like 15 minutes in HL2 between where you get yelled at by a fuckin pig and when you have to drive the world’s worst boat where you’re practically defenseless and running through the City that is really goddamn great, 11/10, but it’s by far the high point in the game as far as I played and from my understanding i was pretty close to the end

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 23, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Half Life 2 is a brilliant and unmatched experience from the perspective of someone who considered themselves above console gaming both before and after its release.

Perfect Dark had a better single player campaign over half a decade earlier and it didn’t have to rely on physics gimmicks.

And I honestly do like Half Life 2, but come on. Its technological advances outshined anything the narrative pulled off by leaps and bounds.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Half Life 2 is a brilliant and unmatched experience from the perspective of someone who considered themselves above console gaming both before and after its release.

Perfect Dark had a better single player campaign over half a decade earlier and it didn’t have to rely on physics gimmicks.

And I honestly do like Half Life 2, but come on. Its technological advances outshined anything the narrative pulled off by leaps and bounds.

I've actually never played Perfect Dark. I do have the Rare Collection for my XBone, so I'll give it a shot.

e: It's actually called Rare Replay. Picked it up for ten bucks but never played any of the titles.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 23, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I've actually never played Perfect Dark. I do have the Rare Collection for my XBone, so I'll give it a shot.

If the Rare collection port is based off the XBLA version it’s pretty much the best official way to play the game. Enjoy! It’s a great game.

I might be overselling it a bit but there’s a lot of narrative depth and polish in PD and other games of the generation that get way over-attributed to HL2 when Valve were very much following in the footsteps of those that came before them.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Dewgy posted:

If the Rare collection port is based off the XBLA version it’s pretty much the best official way to play the game. Enjoy! It’s a great game.

I might be overselling it a bit but there’s a lot of narrative depth and polish in PD and other games of the generation that get way over-attributed to HL2 when Valve were very much following in the footsteps of those that came before them.

Thanks! On the back of the case it contains Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero. I'll google the difference.

e:ok, why is Joanna Dark much taller than everyone else?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 23, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thanks! On the back of the case it contains Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero. I'll google the difference.

Zero is the lovely prequel.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Again, please try the Halo campaigns in co-op before judging, they're meant to be arcade-like experiences with a buddy and are total slogfests if you play alone.

This is the same thing people say about Borderlands. Borderlands and Halo do have that in common, they're bad games that are only fun if you're playing them with a friend, but they're still bad games

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I found Borderlands 3 to be just awful even when playing it with friends. Like, I have no idea what kind of person enjoys the humour and dialogue in those games. Its actually viscerally embarrassing sometimes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't play much shooters but actually liked Halo Reach from what I played of it. Mind you, Halo seems like kind of the middle point between older and newer style shooters, problem is all the newer style shooters took all the worst lessons from it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't play much shooters but actually liked Halo Reach from what I played of it. Mind you, Halo seems like kind of the middle point between older and newer style shooters, problem is all the newer style shooters took all the worst lessons from it.

I dunno, the regenerative armor was good and meant you never got stuck going into a fight where a stiff breeze kills you.

Which is somehow an unpopular opinion these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

perfect dark was so good. it transcends the 64.