Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

It's little league, I doubt it makes much of a difference.

Oh, I know. I just really want to see them try and execute this plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gonna be tons of youth sports dads getting arrested for spitting at umps

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Intruder posted:

Gonna be tons of youth sports dads getting arrested for spitting at coughing on umps

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I hope its real because its so drat funny.

Its like... someone actually said "Well if the catcher is 6 feet behind the batter and the ump is 6 feet behind him he'll be 12 feet away and he'll never be able to judge the batting zone. So lets put him behind the pitcher."

What? How did that help?!

Covering preps, there have been a few times when one of the softball umpires didn't show up. I can't recall if the ump stands behind the plate with no one on, but if there are runner(s) aboard, that's where the ump is positioned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WaryWarren posted:

I've been watching someone's YouTube channel where they are simming the 2020 season in MLB The Show 20 as it would be happening in real time. I saw this graphic and thought of this board. MY GUY lol

I wasn’t exactly looking forward to this season, but I was interested to see how the Astros lineup fared stat-wise compared to the Trash Can Years. A lot of armchair stat analysis on Twitter seemed to indicate the cheating gave them only a very marginal improvement in ABs, like they’d essentially blown up the team’s entire reputation and legacy for next to nothing. I’m not sure what would be funnier/more depressing: a) the 2020 lineup performing basically the same as they had in years previous, thereby proving the schemes were totally unnecessary, or b) every single star player’s stats falling off a cliff because they no longer had some rear end in a top hat banging on a trash can to tell them what to expect.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I hope its real because its so drat funny.

Its like... someone actually said "Well if the catcher is 6 feet behind the batter and the ump is 6 feet behind him he'll be 12 feet away and he'll never be able to judge the batting zone. So lets put him behind the pitcher."

What? How did that help?!

It is absolutely real and we're going to play if they have a season so I'll record all of it for posterity etc.

I kind of doubt they actually get enough kids to have a season but I'm hopeful.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I live in Colorado but am a huge Phillies fan and the Phils were supposed to be in town for their 3 game series against the Rockies this weekend.

RIP Baseball in 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wasn’t exactly looking forward to this season, but I was interested to see how the Astros lineup fared stat-wise compared to the Trash Can Years. A lot of armchair stat analysis on Twitter seemed to indicate the cheating gave them only a very marginal improvement in ABs, like they’d essentially blown up the team’s entire reputation and legacy for next to nothing. I’m not sure what would be funnier/more depressing: a) the 2020 lineup performing basically the same as they had in years previous, thereby proving the schemes were totally unnecessary, or b) every single star player’s stats falling off a cliff because they no longer had some rear end in a top hat banging on a trash can to tell them what to expect.

I mean I have to assume it's somewhere in between. Marwin had been decent for the Twins, for example, so I think it's just gonna depend on the guy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1264035826603708417

Yeah I'm gonna have to buy this

rickiep00h posted:

I mean I have to assume it's somewhere in between. Marwin had been decent for the Twins, for example, so I think it's just gonna depend on the guy.

Marwin has been a sub .800 OPS player every year of his career except 2017, where he OPSed .907

He also received by far the most trash can bangs on the team

e: on the other hand, the banging supposedly started on May 28

Prior to that date he slashed .297/.391/.628. Granted this is only a 135 PA sample size

After that date he slashed .307/.372/.497 through the rest of the season on 380 PA. You don't expect a guy like Marwin to slug .600+ through a season, so the numbers seem closish otherwise? You'd think his OBP would go up though

He went from 20.7 k% to 18.7 k% and 12.6 bb% to 8.5 bb%

e2: also keep in mind it's impossible to tell how many pitches were given away by the absence of banging (ie fastball)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 23, 2020

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't played SMB3 yet but 2 was/is my favorite sports game since MVP Baseball 2005 probably (aside from Out of the Park which I don't count so much as a game as the thing that will feature most prominently when my life flashes before my eyes at death). I can't imagine they hosed it up so much that it isn't worth recommending.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve been playing it for a few days and it’s not a huge improvement over SMB2 but it’s definitely a deeper game now with all the additional team management stuff. Plus it’s nice to have more parks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you're missing baseball then here, this premiered on Youtube today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fO8olM5P8

Yes, it really is two and a half hours of every out Steve Cishek ever got.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1264035826603708417

Yeah I'm gonna have to buy this

Marwin has been a sub .800 OPS player every year of his career except 2017, where he OPSed .907

He also received by far the most trash can bangs on the team

e: on the other hand, the banging supposedly started on May 28

Prior to that date he slashed .297/.391/.628. Granted this is only a 135 PA sample size

After that date he slashed .307/.372/.497 through the rest of the season on 380 PA. You don't expect a guy like Marwin to slug .600+ through a season, so the numbers seem closish otherwise? You'd think his OBP would go up though

He went from 20.7 k% to 18.7 k% and 12.6 bb% to 8.5 bb%

e2: also keep in mind it's impossible to tell how many pitches were given away by the absence of banging (ie fastball)

Not defending the astros or Marwin even though he carried me to fantasy victory in 2017, but the analysis of ABs that had bangs vs ABs that didn't seemed to show that overall it was an extremely marginal benefit for the team as a whole. When the bangs were right, it gave a small benefit, and when they were wrong (which was not uncommon) they were a huge disadvantage. Lots of marginal players fluke into a .900 OPS for one year and most of them aren't cheating. Not saying Marwin didn't get a benefit, but it's probably not the whole reason why he had a good season

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm not saying it was definitely the banging. There's evidence both for and against. And hell his biggest hit of the season came on the road against a closer who throws one pitch

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Haven't missed baseball as much as some but now and again come across something that really makes it spike

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

his OPS+ last year was 94 and he slashed .264/.322/.414

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

solid

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

his OPS+ last year was 94 and he slashed .264/.322/.414

Goalpost moving time!

94 is good enough for at or near the middle of the team for almost every year of the decade. And his OPS and OPS+ last year were both closer to career average than 2017. Pretty sure they got exactly the production they were expecting from him. Which was decent, not great, for a utility guy.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
If I know generally what's coming, it changes what I observe during the pitch. I'd be surprised if the effect of that was able to be isolated, but I can for drat sure tell you I wouldn't forget what I'd learned. I ain't saying the ability to integrate and apply that information is universal or even easy, but it is something and it can never be taken away. Is that unfair? Not my call. Does it matter? I don't know. But if one player can permanently benefit from any amount of time spent cheating does it make it okay if other players who also cheated don't?

I mean it's somewhat irrelevant at the moment since we don't have a large post-cheat sample size to compare to, but hey, that means it's still true that

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My point is does it have a broad statistical application for the entire team as individuals? Doubtful. Will the Astros as a whole be worse statistically than years previous? Yeah, probably. But by how much individually? Hard to tell. From the point of view of trying to figure out how a player "should" perform this year vs. known cheating years, it's gonna vary quite a bit depending on the player. Some of those guys were good before cheating, some of them were mediocre, and they all benefitted to varying degrees as well. The 2020 Astros would have still been a decent team. They're not just gonna fall off a cliff. They would be AS good, but still good.

...is my guess.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just got a birthday card in the mail from my parents and its making me realize how much I miss baseball. :unsmith:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

happy birthday, dude

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1264046509215166466

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Angels know a lost season when they see one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You would think with just a 5 round draft you would want to make sure you get those picks right....

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Angels know a lost season when they see one

Laying off scouts certainly has an impact beyond this season!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just got a birthday card in the mail from my parents and its making me realize how much I miss baseball. :unsmith:

is that a picture of someone charging the mound on a birthday card? :allears:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

seiferguy posted:

Laying off scouts certainly has an impact beyond this season!

Look, if you can draft an inner-circle generational talent once, surely you can do it again every three or four years, it's not hard.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Trout will never win a playoff game.

What other great players never won a postseason game? Ernie Banks is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

What other great players never won a postseason game? Ernie Banks is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

depends on your definition of greatness but Felix Hernandez has never played in the postseason

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Fergie Jenkins, Ralph Kiner, King Felix, Minnie Minoso, Ron Santo?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Billy Williams too. Pretty much any Cubs hall-of-famer that played from 1946-1983.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Pancakes posted:

Luke Appling.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Other great players to never win a postseason game: Nap Lajoie, George Sisler, George Kell, Dick Allen

It's a lot more rare nowadays since so many more teams make the postseason each year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

is that a picture of someone charging the mound on a birthday card? :allears:

Possibly a future mound charge since he's celebrating a dong

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Some dude just came out of my neighbor's house in a Rays jersey and a Pirates hat and I'm shook

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love how the Angels can't NOT gently caress themselves somehow.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Some dude just came out of my neighbor's house in a Rays jersey and a Pirates hat and I'm shook

Chris Archer fan spotted.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a strong look when you look like rays sean rodriguez in march and you're at a full pirates sean rodriguez after three months of lockdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

Chris Archer fan spotted.

It was a Boggs jersey 🤔