Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

noice

ya girls been trying to ride her bike a little lately, not bad for an often sedentary lifestyle

e: drat 3 hours later and my lungs/heart are still sore, i definitely hit my cardio limit for the time being

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Posting this everywhere: I hit 1x455 on my deadlift. New PR for me.

At least someone in this thread is getting some heavy lifts in.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ring Fit on switch is actually A Good And Fun Workout RPG.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's amazing how quickly your endurance improves. been what, a week and a half since my last post? and today i rode 13.7 miles in the noon sun and I'm still not as pooped as that time. I'm back to feeling it mostly in my legs, which is solid progress.

did forget to bring my water bottle though, and i found out the hard way that north on the route i went, past the trailhead at the 3 mile mark there's no more water fountains as far as i can tell. the South route has them a lot more regularly. good to know for the future, i suppose.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Nice!

I lifted two singles of 455 on Wednesday. Tonight I'm scheduled to bench heavy singles at 225. Depending on how I feel, I might make a run for 10@225.

E: Well, it was a short run. 1x4, then 1x3, then 1x2, all at 225. Sad.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 26, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

it's so gratifying seeing my pace gradually trend upward

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hi thread, been a bit. November kicked my rear end with a lovely flu but I'm back up to the pace i had just reached when i got sick, rides like this 3 days a week.

I'm reaching the point where i can feel the limitations of my bike, gotta find some way to get a decent today bike for cheap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So is AI getting fat again? This thread has been dormant for a while.

The move to 3rd shift killed my momentum and I've spent the last year bouncing between 170 and 180 until a couple weeks ago where I hit 185 and it seemed like I was gonna be fat again no matter what.

But unlike being skinny too much so Sunday I began an intermittent fasting routine again, doing an 8/16 split. But on 3rd I had to sort out the best timeframe. I sleep 3-10 most days. So I've begun eating around 3am so my window closes at 11am. I am at work from midnight to 8am and remain fairly active in those hours, returning home by 8:30 usually. So far this week I have eaten my final meal by 11am and done my workout at 12:30 or 1. Should I be eating after my final meal prior to my workout or after? I've seen science that claims both.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Not getting fat, getting slim. I just don't have anything novel or interesting to say about it :sigh:

Keto and construction has gotten me down to 190 and I'm building my chest, abs, and arms up like crazy from it. I've got the great vasculature back in my forearms and I almost like how I look now

I wish I had more time and energy to lift for real, but at least what I'm doing is working for now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
whats up posting bros

im not getting swole just trying to keep slightly healthy with my stupid travel schedule

been skiing a lot, skating a bit, and doing some small freeweights and cardio in the hotel gyms. trying to keep around 170, so far its workin

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
UPDATE

Been doing IF and cardio since March 1st. Am down 5 pounds already. Programming has returned to normal.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Ugh, hi, I seem to have reached new and exciting levels of fat and out of shape. I've recently gotten disgusted enough with myself to try to fix that, so now I'm hungry all the time too. How do I convince myself exercise isn't worse than just pounding myself in the dick with a hammer and actually do things routinely? It's in that glorious time of the year where the ground is muck so, so much for going and doing stuff I actually enjoy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One month back on the IF horse. 8 pounds lost. Resumed weights last week. Gut is visibly shrinking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Woosh. 70 days in and I'm back under 170 lbs. I worked so hard to get there a few years ago and I let myself slide too far back in the wrong direction. Hopefully I don't get complacent again as I'd like to continue to fit into the clothes I bought the first time around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how is everyone doing with quarantine? i have taken up yoga. its pretty good. dropped like 12 lbs and really don't want to get any smaller.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm watching diet and I'm down 20 pounds from when I started but seem to have hit a plateau. Time to find some exercise that doesn't make me want to kill myself.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

FWIW unless you're a small woman you probably don't need to exercise to lose weight, especially if you hate it. If you can get in a lot of low intensity exercise like walking, working in the garage, etc, that's great and will help, but it's not necessary. If you're getting burned out just eat at maintenance calories for a month, then start dropping the calories down slowly again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'd go so far as to say there is a real chance you might gain weight if you exercise somewhat hard.

When this whole Covid poo poo started and my martial arts club had to shut down, I lost about 5-8lbs in 2 weeks. Almost certainly due to muscle because I was eating poo poo food and drinking like a fish so it certainly wasn't my stellar diet.

Mid april we started doing online classes and a small group of us also started doing Insanity max30 4x per week all together online, so I am actually working out pretty hard 8x per week now for a month solid.. with only weds off.

My weight increased again and then plateaued (starting to slowly come off a bit since I am going dry for a while) but I have started to noticeably lean out. So much so people who haven't seen me in just 2-3 weeks are going "Whoa" and I'm starting to have stomach muscles become visible on the side of my gut..which for those few of you that know me personally, that is something.

I'm still eating snack poo poo when I want and certainly not playing "healthy" with most of my meals (pantry full of chips and easter chocolate), but it's ironic I'm almost certainly in the best shape I've been in for 25+ years right now. I am hopeful I can keep this up for some time... at least until we have normal classes again. Not sure if I can keep doing the Max30 then because classes are quite hard and, well, you take a true physical pounding quite often.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I got this part down during our new stay at home lifestyle:

slidebite posted:

When this whole Covid poo poo started and my martial arts club had to shut down, I lost about 5-8lbs in 2 weeks. Almost certainly due to muscle because I was eating poo poo food and drinking like a fish so it certainly wasn't my stellar diet.

But I haven't gotten around to the rest of it. I was supposed to have weights arriving by the end of April, now they're saying no later than the end of May yet I still don't have a shipping notification. I need to start doing something soon though, I went from around 6 to 10 hours of lifting weights per week to 20 mins a day of walking my dogs, plus a lot more random chores / yard work. Still not even close to what I was doing pre-covid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There are plenty of routines you can do to get your cardio and muscle game on that don't need any equipment, other than maybe something decent underfoot.. and a bit, but not much, room.

Give something like this a try 4 times a week for a month and see how you feel. If you can do more than 4, great. It's not going to make you into a fine tuned machine on its own, buts it's a decent short routine that doesn't take a huge commitment.

3 sets of each. Should take all of about 15 minutes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

There are plenty of routines you can do to get your cardio and muscle game on that don't need any equipment, other than maybe something decent underfoot.. and a bit, but not much, room.

Give something like this a try 4 times a week for a month and see how you feel. If you can do more than 4, great. It's not going to make you into a fine tuned machine on its own, buts it's a decent short routine that doesn't take a huge commitment.

15 minutes, LOL. Maybe if you're not a widebody like me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hit my weight goal and I'm back to pre wedding weight from 3 years ago. Some of you might remember how insufferable I was posting my weight loss progression but it's such a great feeling to be able to do this again. I also wrapped up 9 weeks of weight training which is longer than I've managed to go without stopping in the past.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

sharkytm posted:

15 minutes, LOL. Maybe if you're not a widebody like me.
That's fair.

Take your time and modify. My advice would be if it's really tough start with 1 set but you want to keep your heart rate up so don't take too much time. For the push ups and plank you can drop to your knees and do a straight arm plank (like a push up) instead of elbow plank. Eventually as your strength and stamina improve you can try to do them as described and you'll feel accomplishment as your abilities increase. The nice thing with exercises like this is you need nothing to do them and minimal space. Heck, I do most of my exercises barefoot because that's how I practice my sport.

I like this simple set because it has some core work in it. Core strength is such a huge thing but is neglected by so many people, even those that train regularly and "look" healthy.

Give it a shot! Baby steps! Any regular exercise activity is better than none.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

slidebite posted:

I may just give this a shot, I've been avoiding anything new because my weights are supposedly arriving soon, although at this point it could probably be another month. I hurt my back many years ago and I used to throw it out twice a year, but ever since I started lifting ~10 years ago it's mostly gone away as long as I keep lifting. I was doing direct core work pre-covid, but even when I didn't do any direct core work just having to brace myself for things like pushdowns got it strong enough to not get hurt. I can stop for up to two months if I have some other injury making me stop lifting and I'll be fine, but once I get past 2 months without working out it's a lot easier to get the back pain back, and I just reached two months with minimal workouts.

What I really need to find is the best way to increase flexibility for squatting, I'm naturally incredibly inflexible and it's so bad I can't really safely barbell squat (with full range of motion and proper form). I'm also restoring my bike that's been sitting outside for 3 years so I can work on my cardio. Nothing like doing a track day on a bike to realize you really need to work on core strength and cardio, goddamn. At least it's a good motivator.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

That's fair.

Take your time and modify. My advice would be if it's really tough start with 1 set but you want to keep your heart rate up so don't take too much time. For the push ups and plank you can drop to your knees and do a straight arm plank (like a push up) instead of elbow plank. Eventually as your strength and stamina improve you can try to do them as described and you'll feel accomplishment as your abilities increase. The nice thing with exercises like this is you need nothing to do them and minimal space. Heck, I do most of my exercises barefoot because that's how I practice my sport.

I like this simple set because it has some core work in it. Core strength is such a huge thing but is neglected by so many people, even those that train regularly and "look" healthy.

Give it a shot! Baby steps! Any regular exercise activity is better than none.

Yup, I made it through all three sets, but needed a break between them. Heart rate was between 120 and 150 during each set. I've really needed to get off my rear end and get back in shape for several years, and I've been going on at least 30 minutes walls around the neighborhood and hiking when the weather is nice. This will add to that, and doesn't take long. The wife's on board too, she dragged out our Wii and balance board a few weeks ago.

I was in pretty solid shape back in 08-12, but several factors have led to my downfall. I've finally got decent insurance so I can go get my back looked at, hopefully get my egg allergy dealt with, and get PT once quarantine eases a bit. Thanks for posting that, it's saved on my phone and I've asked my wife to respond me to do them MWF.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's awesome man!

Try to get into the habit of paying attention to your form, either with a mirror or partner. Keep your back straight, it's really easy put a curve in it for the lunges and squats and that what engages the core. Also with the plank and push ups - keep your butt down and flat with your back/legs. If it's just too tough, there is absolutely no shame in either going slow or dropping to your knees. Way better to do that than have bad form.

If you can pull off a 60 second elbow plank while maintaining good form, that's a real accomplishment. I guarantee most people you pull randomly off the street can't do that.

E: also try to get into a routine. You don't have to do it every day, but try every 2nd or 3rd. Have a time and stick with it and make it a habit. I find it really helps motivate me to exercise with someone else.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 25, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

slidebite posted:

Did this during the AM in place of my regularly scheduled run because its too hot out. It's a nice set. You must be bookin it to get through in 15 mins, took me 18 and change without pauses. I did throw in some more pushups. If you like me have spent too much time computer touching and have wrist issues, two recommendations:
1) Get a soft surface, a yoga mat or something like that, which can absorb the strain. if you don't have a yoga mat, a piece of carpet or a welcome mat or a towel or something is good provided it lies flat.
2) Do knuckle pushups on your fists. your wrists stay straighter. these are more difficult to do and will probably cause you some discomfort in your knuckles, but will take a ton of strain off your wrists.

Be sure you stretch a bit afterwards esp core, quads, and shoulders if you are just getting in to more intensive fitness routine than walking.

I will pitch yoga on you all. My wife is super in to it, and I never really did any before lockdowns. However, I'm not very flexible and that's an area that I am always looking to improve to prevent injury. I've found its a good workout, tough but not super cardio intensive, and it makes you really aware of how you use your body otherwise. There's a good intro app called down dog for ios/android/web, beginner version is free. they take you through stuff pretty slowly, and it's enough to figure out if you like it or not. I'm bad and I fall over with some frequency, but am improving quite a bit!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Did this during the AM in place of my regularly scheduled run because its too hot out. It's a nice set. You must be bookin it to get through in 15 mins, took me 18 and change without pauses.
Most of these are exercises I do almost daily, so yeah, maybe I am a bit speedier than most :shobon:

quote:

1) Get a soft surface, a yoga mat or something like that, which can absorb the strain. if you don't have a yoga mat, a piece of carpet or a welcome mat or a towel or something is good provided it lies flat.
2) Do knuckle pushups on your fists. your wrists stay straighter. these are more difficult to do and will probably cause you some discomfort in your knuckles, but will take a ton of strain off your wrists.
Big fan of those interlocking mats myself, but absolutely agree with something underfoot. Can't say I've ever had a problem with stress from pushups... and only do knuckle ones when I'm doing them in my sparring gear, but different strokes I guess!

quote:

Be sure you stretch a bit afterwards esp core, quads, and shoulders if you are just getting in to more intensive fitness routine than walking.
Absolutely. I'd also recommend a bit of light, very basic warming up at the beginning too... although these aren't super intensive it's not a bad thing. I try to do a good stretch after every major workout. Best time after your all warm and sweaty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had to go to knuckles since my right wrist is jacked up. It helps me a lot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

slidebite posted:

Most of these are exercises I do almost daily, so yeah, maybe I am a bit speedier than most :shobon:

with a little extra effort i got down to 14' today

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good for you!

How often are you doing them? Every other day?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

every other day, and i do jump rope or run after for a bit of cardio. other day is yoga and jump rope / run.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i touched my toes today for the first time probably in my whole life

nothing can stop me

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Awesome. My right leg hamstring is really bothering me, I've been trying to stretch regularly, especially after I train/exercise, but I'm hitting a wall. Makes straight leg stretches really difficult.

I really, really want the RMTs to be back in business and pay a visit. :(

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My weights arrived over 2 months after I ordered them (but fair enough because they were the only people not price gouging), but now I need to clean up my garage enough to fit my power rack in there. I unexpectedly inherited a GSX-R750 this week, which hasn't helped the garage situation at all. Of course upon towing it home I realize the front tire won't hold air, I broke the key off in the ignition because there must have been some trick to getting turned on, then upon hotwiring the bike it appears there's some fueling issue and it won't start. I've been working on that while also fixing my Daytona's split open coolant hose that was a simple fix in theory but just an absolute pain in the rear end location to fix, so my body is just a mixture of random muscle soreness and pains along with a stiff lower back at the moment. And also my roof rack came in for my truck, so that's taking up a lot of garage space and needs to be installed.

But once that's done I'm back to lifting again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So how is everybody doing?

I've been training quite hard basically doing something every single day since late spring, with a few exceptions.

I've been talked into taking one day off as a recovery day but between martial arts and insanity I'm probably in the best shape of my life....but... holy poo poo am I stiff the next day.

I try to stretch lots but it seems to be a minimal benefit when I'm not exercising or training.

I'm hoping as a goal I can eventually do splits but I really don't think it's an attainable for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i am very close to being able to keep my legs straight and touch the floor! this is a big deal for me. always been in decent shape to fairly fit but with very tight hamstrings and lower back.

bit of setbacks as i strained my shoulder doing yoga last week but it seems like i am back on track after a week ish off and easing back in to light duty stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's awesome. I hope you try to do that stuff only when you're warm if it's not easy yet.

Still doing that small workout set I posted in the spring as well or move on to other stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had to stop my daily workouts back when we decided to sell our house, I only had so many hours in the day and since I was doing so much heavy lifting working on the house I figured it would be fine. So 5 months later and I'm only 7 pounds heavier but I feel like poo poo a little too often. I planned to get back in the wagon on Sunday but my brain decided that wasn't happening.

I'm also pretty sure that my mental health decline lines up with my exercise stoppage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I put on about 5-10kg during 2020. ugh ok fine 2020 is gonna 2020 though I was still spinning a stationary indoors like a freight train till PG&E season happened in CA. Right back to flabby programmer status now.