Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

I need to look for this thing. I’ve got the UHD final cut and the 5 disc blu-ray set. That’s probably enough but these extra supplements. Hmm.

I think the only exclusive is a piece on the Final Cut and the different versions, plus a photo gallery.

The problem is that the US UHD release inexplicably only has the Final Cut version and uses the DVDs from the 2007 edition (even the Blu-ray and HD-DVD editions used DVDs for the two supplement discs) while the 3-disc digibook condensed the two DVDs and Blu disc of the workprint into a single Blu-ray disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Decided to take it easy for this sale, since I have to save for the Severin sale next month.

Rad
Sugar Cookies
The Vineyard
Red Mob
Satan's Slave

Might go for House on Tombstone Hill, The Severed Arm, or Unmasked later this weekend.

Anyone have an opinion on Blood Games or Patty Hearst?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ah, then yea maybe I don’t need to track it down. What I got is good.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Is Rad worth the extra cost? I’ve never seen it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hey, someone kind of mentioned it before but is there any word on Martin?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Steen71 posted:

In my experience people go nuts over UHDs of movies that are already reference quality on BD - both here and elsewhere. Like they're going to be watching Lawrence of Arabia with their face pressed up against their TVs.

Well yea that's true in some cases but I'm sure you understand that some movies are just beloved to the point that people are gonna get excited about the prospect of even an incremental change. Stuff like Lawrence of Arabia or Blade Runner, to me it's worth upgrading those because I've seen them so many times and I'm definitely gonna notice and appreciate even marginal improvements.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Well yea that's true in some cases but I'm sure you understand that some movies are just beloved to the point that people are gonna get excited about the prospect of even an incremental change.

Oh yes, I've bought Terminator 2 and RoboCop many, many times.

I refuse to get the T2 UHD though. That one is a crime.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Harry Privates posted:

Is Rad worth the extra cost? I’ve never seen it.

Rad is not a good movie. I still bought it though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Zombie UHD is out for delivery today. My partner is out of the house and I am very excited (she hates horror so now I don’t need to warn her about coming into the room and getting surprised by a wooden chunk going through an eye).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Went back and added Psychos in Love and Spookies to my order, mostly because Spookies is such a great schlock title, even if the movie itself is garbage.

Spookies!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Spookies is an absolute wild ride, stitched together from two crews making very different films under the same production (with none of the same cast) years apart. You're in for a good time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Spookies rules, it’s got so many different fun creature designs and practical effects. Basically everything else is terrible but it’s really fun anyway.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Spookies also has one of my favorite 80s scores. I have the Terrorvision LP, and I've listened to that score to death. I love it so much.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well now I’m really excited. It showed up on an episode of Best of the Worst ages ago and looked like a blast.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Added a few titties to my VinSyn order. Grabbed Patty Hearst, Hell Comes to Frogtown, and Putney Swope.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Added a few titties to my VinSyn order. Grabbed Patty Hearst, Hell Comes to Frogtown, and Putney Swope.

You grabbed Patty Hearst?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

You grabbed Patty Hearst?

One could say I kidnapped her.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Vince MechMahon posted:

One could say I kidnapped her.

She's cool with it...

now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Edit: wrong thread!

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 24, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Finally got around to watching Avenging Angel. Not as good as the first.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

:argh: god dammit I finally had the funds to snag the Angel Box Set from VinSyn and OF COURSE it's OOP. gently caress.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah, I was super surprised by how good Angel was. It's kind of a steady decline from there though, wish the quality kept up. :smith:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, I was super surprised by how good Angel was. It's kind of a steady decline from there though, wish the quality kept up. :smith:

The second one is still fun. It just doesn't capture the feel of the first one. It's trying too hard sometimes too. I'm not expecting much from the third.

I also watched the first of the Female Prisoner: Scorpion movies and Tetsuo: The Iron Man today. Both are great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I went a bit nuts in some recent blu-ray sales. Both Amazon AU and JB Hi-Fi (basically Australia's Best Buy) had "buy 1 get 1 free" sales for blu-ray and 4K over the weekend. JB included every blu-ray and 4K, while Amazon limited it to a selection of about a thousand. Many of Amazon's deals were already much lower than the JB prices, before you even factored in the B1G1F.

I ended up getting a ton of movies to fill out my collection and they averaged to about $7 each after all discounts. :h:

Now they're all getting shipped in small consignments of 2-3 movies per parcel so I have like 8 parcels to go pick up today and more coming later in the week.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also plan to do some rearranging of stuff next weekend so I can have all of my collection alphabetised (with the TV shows and animation separate).

Currently my blu-rays are all spread between a normal-width and a half-width Ikea Billy bookcase, plus some random shelves on my other bookcases.

If I move some books from another normal-width one to our spare room, I can swap that case with the half-width case.

Then I'll have two normal-width bookcases for blu-rays, which at 8 rows per bookcase and about 50 blu-rays per row, I can shelve 800 blu-rays. That's plenty of room for quite a while.

(I refuse to double up on each shelf so that rows of titles are hidden -- is anyone else as anal about this as I am?)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Did someone mention an upcoming Severin sale? I’ve been digging through their selection and came up with this list of stuff I’m interested in:

The Changeling
Robowar
Asylum
And Now The Screaming Starts
The Uncanny
Count Dracula

Any other essentials/suggestions?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vince MechMahon posted:

The second one is still fun. It just doesn't capture the feel of the first one. It's trying too hard sometimes too. I'm not expecting much from the third.

I thought the second Angel was good in a Cannon way. The third, well prepare to be disappointed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did someone mention an upcoming Severin sale? I’ve been digging through their selection and came up with this list of stuff I’m interested in:

The Changeling
Robowar
Asylum
The Uncanny
Count Dracula

Viy is a must-have. Allegedly the first Soviet horror film. It seems inspired by Mario Bava's films, while anticipating stuff like Hausu and The Evil Dead.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Changeling
Robowar
Asylum
The Uncanny
Count Dracula

echoing that Viy is great

also I really like:
All the Colors of the Dark
Next of Kin
Saint Bernard (one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen)

Burial Ground is... interesting, parts of it are awful but if you like janky euro-horror it's well worth a watch

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

Burial Ground is... interesting, parts of it are awful but if you like janky euro-horror it's well worth a watch

Burial Ground is a movie where you wouldn't believe it if someone tried to explain it to you especially that one sub-plot, if you've seen it, you know the one.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly, with Severin, just dig through the titles on their website, pick out what you think sounds interesting. At the very least, you will never be bored watching one of their discs. I really loved Night Killer, Absurd, All the Colors of the Dark (get All the Colors of Giallo too, it's hours of Gialli and Krimi trailers) and Zombie 4: Afterdeath. The Killer Crocodile 2-pack is great too. The only one I have that was a bit too much was Threads. I watched that back in January, right when Trump and NK were playing with nukes, probably not the best decision on my part. It's extremely grim.

I'm excited because my Al Adamson set is out for delivery today. Now if my 4K discs for Zombie and Maniac would ship, I'd be happy. I had a virtual interview for a position I really want, and I haven't heard anything yet (they told me it would take some time to make any decisions), and I need something to help get my mind off of worrying that I won't get this job, so the Adamson set plus those two Blue Underground 4K discs would be a good distraction.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

ultraviolence123 posted:

...Al Adamson set...

I have this pre-ordered on Amazon and it's not out until June 2nd or so. Did they end up fixing whatever was wrong with Disc 8 or am I going to have to send out for a replacement?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

is this what blu-rays look like these days?

also i loving hate rotten tomatoes for this poo poo. get a real logo!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Jebus that's a lot of loving company logos

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Changeling
Robowar
Asylum
The Uncanny
Count Dracula

Dark Waters is a good Euro-horror: atmospheric, Lovecraftian, directed by an Italian but filmed in eastern Europe and it's got a nice vibe of both
Thirding All the Colors of the Dark, and All the Colors of Giallo if you're into the genre. The documentary is really just a collection of interviews but the highlight is definitely the 4 hours of giallo trailers with the whole thing accompanied by a commentary by Kat Ellinger
Viy is fantastic, there's so much creativity inside what's a very simple fairy tale

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Jebus that's a lot of loving company logos

It's like when you watch an independent film and it takes five minutes to get through all the production company logos before the opening credits.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I have this pre-ordered on Amazon and it's not out until June 2nd or so. Did they end up fixing whatever was wrong with Disc 8 or am I going to have to send out for a replacement?

I think that if you ordered from anywhere in the last month or so then you should be good. The initial run was a Severin exclusive, and the people who got theirs from that pressing back in like April were the ones who had bad discs. Then they did a second pressing with fixed discs and everybody else should get those, I assume they also went back up on sale at Severin because that's where I ordered mine a week or so ago. I think a few people who ordered from other retailers got bad discs too, but for the most part the bad discs were from the Severin store and they caught it once people started to get theirs.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ultraviolence123 posted:

Honestly, with Severin, just dig through the titles on their website, pick out what you think sounds interesting. At the very least, you will never be bored watching one of their discs.

This is true, Severin has never really disappointed me. Of the various boutique labels they are probably the most consistent in terms of film quality. As much as I love Vinegar Syndrome, some of the films they release are truly awful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

gey muckle mowser posted:

As much as I love Vinegar Syndrome, some of the films they release are truly awful.

Yeeeeeeaaaaah. Like Night Beast, a movie I have a very love/hate relationship with because the highs are so high but the lows are just loving excruciating. I watched it with a group and we nearly gave up and turned it off at half a dozen different points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jenny Agutter posted:

is this what blu-rays look like these days?

also i loving hate rotten tomatoes for this poo poo. get a real logo!

I'd imagine that looks fantastic on blu ray though. I think I rented amazon's version when it dropped on VOD. Interesting flick.. very lord of the flies meets Apocalypto