Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Leal posted:

So was it intentional that this was taken in front of the beer section :v:
that's just the natural place a goon and rlm would meet. like how there's always a savanna in the background of a photo of cheetahs hunting gazelles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

like his solo channel is relative fantastic(I especially enjoyed his FF7R playthrough) his banter with his basically-wife Paige is adorable, his cat is a screaming trainwreck of a being, and I just wish things hadn't gone so awry with the group as a whole.

Now that I've finished the game for myself and I can't get enough of other people's reactions like with Smash reveals, I'm watching them too.

Was really weird when Paige was really not into Aerith and had a comment literally every single time she talked- which I'm just not a fan of because it feels like the most lame form of comedy. I haven't watched a full Rifftrax video but I'm sure they weren't trading off on someone talking throughout the entire movie when they were cracking jokes.

That and calling people simps for 'defending the waifu' like how dare they not be rolling out of their seats laughing at the rapier wit of 'wow they sure want to make you like this character, we're going to tell you all the things they did off screen instead of showing you' made me roll my eyes because it's just one of those things where if you don't find it funny then that's just a low point in something for 40 minutes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, she played it up a lot early on but it leveled off later. I totally feel you on her going in on it too hard, I definitely feel like she's the type of streamer who can be manipulated by chat pretty easily.

if you enjoy people's reactions to stuff, you should check out Maximilian Dood's run and Briana White's(the voice of aerith in ff7r) playthroughs too. max because he's one of the biggest ff7 marks in history up to and including the loving dev team watching his reactions to the trailers for the remake to raise their spirits and then bumping into him at E3 and taking him backstage to play the full demo, and briana because man, she is goddamn adorable while playing and like, her reaction to meeting aerith ingame is just so drat sweet. also, she is very good at letting her mouth get ahead of her brain, and thus you get moments like this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FriendlyAcceptableChoughDancingBanana

I don't know if briana has her playthrough archived anywhere outside of twitch, and I don't know if it'll remain on her channel or get archived after the time limit, so I guess watch it sooner rather than later if you can.

I'll also recommend to you these two spoilercasts that max guested on because when it comes to the overall story of the remake, the ending, and where they go from here, they made me go from "apprehensive, but hopeful" to "HELL YEAH IF THEY EVEN DO ONE OF THESE THINGS I AM ALLLLLL INNNNN LET'S GO"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfgw7iDZ-bo&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Ex8ILaJAA&hd=1

the level they tied the extended ff7 lore seamlessly into ff7r is really impressive and makes me a lot more comfortable with whatever they plan on doing in future installments.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

Also that yeah, I liked their story together, adult semi-Wolverine Sherry is neat and Jake is the secret good boy. They're also very cute together.

I also wish we could ever get Sheva in another game too, but that probably won't happen until the RE5make.

But also just yeah sorry thread that I ever come off lovely without meaning to, my ability to talk is often worse than my typing by this point, feel like I'm perpetually scatterbrained a lot of the time and medicine mostly stopped helping.

your fine. your a good poster. also my RE hottake is i sucked super bad at RE4 so i can't wait for a remake that ditches the tank controls.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Game Grumps feels weird and directionless lately. After years of a pretty tight schedule, they now seem to randomly put out their daily video, and sometimes it’s not even about a game? Also, the cast seems to have been cleaved down to just Arin and Dan.

Granted, they have to work within the YouTube hellscape, where the whims of the algorithm changes like the wind. Which also explains why thumbnails look more obnoxious.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Oh my god

https://twitter.com/Diamandahagan/status/1264055450619781121

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If I haven't come off this Remake high yet, I'll take a look at Max's playthrough next, yeah. My laptop cannot handle Twitch for whatever reason so I can't watch Briana's stuff.

Thanks for the Dropped Frames link, I had no idea he'd gotten onto another podcast aside from EZA.

Been a blast reading the FF7 thread. People keep coming up with great ideas while I'm shitposting.

Onmi posted:

Oh man, oh wow. I just had another big brained theory. Sephiroth takes the White Materia, lets them have the Black One... Yuffie steals the black one, Shinra reignites the Wutai War... Wutai casts Meteor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

Game Grumps feels weird and directionless lately. After years of a pretty tight schedule, they now seem to randomly put out their daily video, and sometimes it’s not even about a game? Also, the cast seems to have been cleaved down to just Arin and Dan.

Granted, they have to work within the YouTube hellscape, where the whims of the algorithm changes like the wind. Which also explains why thumbnails look more obnoxious.

For the last 10 weeks they’ve been recording in quarantine. I guess they walk to the studio and interact with nobody on the way, but it’s just them and whatever they can manage on their own.

The Super Mega guys quit before that, though.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

But also just yeah sorry thread that I ever come off lovely without meaning to, my ability to talk is often worse than my typing by this point, feel like I'm perpetually scatterbrained a lot of the time and medicine mostly stopped helping.

It's cool! You're actually one of my favorite posters on here tbh :)

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah :smith: I still love em but man they aren't as much fun as they use to be. They stopped doing long playthrus (because of youtube algorithm nonsense) but its like, the long playthrus were the main meat of the channel imo. Game Grumps is (er, more like was) the perfect channel to have on in the background while you grind away in an RPG or play something monotonous or while you're cooking or cleaning. You could just set your smart tv or device or whatever to a nice long GG playlist like their Wind Waker or Sonic Adventure playthru and just have it on for some company. :unsmith: But they really don't do that much anymore :smith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

There is a person in the comments of the video asking

quote:

Why would you cut out all the producers when the novelty of these anniversary movies was seeing all the reviewers crossing over with each other?

:thejoke:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I opened up twitter and was not expecting this guest star:

https://twitter.com/c0teof/status/1263850003803619331

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I get kinda bummed out when I go to their channel now because for the longest time their video titles were so nice and neat and well organized. Like: “Sonic Boom - Video Title - Part 6” and the thumbnail was just the game’s logo or protagonist or something over a simple background. Now the titles are less neat and the thumbnails are absolute messes, always with irritating super exaggerated reaction faces taking up most of them. I don’t hold it against them because this is what they do for a living and that clickbait poo poo must be super effective considering that EVERYONE does it, but man I hate that poo poo.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Leal posted:

There is a person in the comments of the video asking

:thejoke:

LMAO Yeah, like the fact that all those producers now want nothing to do with Doug cuz he's an rear end in a top hat who will die alone and miserable. That video is good satire.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ariong posted:

I get kinda bummed out when I go to their channel now because for the longest time their video titles were so nice and neat and well organized. Like: “Sonic Boom - Video Title - Part 6” and the thumbnail was just the game’s logo or protagonist or something over a simple background. Now the titles are less neat and the thumbnails are absolute messes, always with irritating super exaggerated reaction faces taking up most of them. I don’t hold it against them because this is what they do for a living and that clickbait poo poo must be super effective considering that EVERYONE does it, but man I hate that poo poo.

Same. When I start doing youtube, I will never do that *makes extremely cringy over the top reaction face on thumbnail* thing. I don't care how many views it brings me lol

If I ever go back on this, then feel free to quote this post like Arin's infamous "I will never become a lets player" tweet after I become youtube famous :thumbsup:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
New video from Daniel "Three" Arrows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bd_H8Cyago

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RareAcumen posted:

My laptop cannot handle Twitch for whatever reason so I can't watch Briana's stuff.

Yeah twitch can be really heavy, consider looking into streamlink or something similar that let's you watch it through a regular media player. You'll lose the chat on vods, but in most cases that's not a significant cost.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Danny and Arin are playing House Party again so I can't stay mad at them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FuturePastNow posted:

this one has a good swerve

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

Danny and Arin are playing House Party again so I can't stay mad at them.

That's true! Especially now that they've been added as characters to the game :allears: Man their lines in that game are too funny. And I lost it when Dan was talking about how the voice actress who was playing a game grumps fan sounded like she never even heard of them before :lol:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Says something that even with those edits, they still managed to end up 22 minutes of footage.

The James Rolfe/Board James cameo is still in there, which might be mistake, since I thought James cut ties with Channel Awesome.

Actually, funny thing about that: I caught part of a stream where they watching the Channel Awesome movies, and it was pointed out that the two-minute Board James cameo, despite just being a joke, is shot and lit better than entire rest of the film.

FuturePastNow posted:

I couldn't parse a lot of this, but the first section feels akin to a thought I had a while back, where I feel like we as a society have this habit where we see or hear about some plan or project that sounds absolutely stupid, horrible, or ridiculous, and in response, we voice our concerns, concerns, and criticisms. Yet, with all the outcry that there might be, said thing ends up coming to pass anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jamie Faith posted:

That's true! Especially now that they've been added as characters to the game :allears: Man their lines in that game are too funny. And I lost it when Dan was talking about how the voice actress who was playing a game grumps fan sounded like she never even heard of them before :lol:

I fell out of my chair when Arin in game is doing the thing with the painting and Frank just goes SHUT THE gently caress UP DOOD

Pants Donkey posted:

Things are weird right now that they're in quarantine. They record at Arin's house right now so it's just Arin and Dan, they don't have their 10 minute power hour crew around right now because of it. But they are gonna be doing podcasts in place of it for now so that's cool.

I'm confused about the random daily video comment though. For a while they stopped doing videos every single day I guess to just have more time to themselves (it sounds like the channel is quite a bit more work than just going in and recording for a few hours. Arin basically runs the whole company and his touring company, and other projects and Dan is obviously also doing Ninja Sex Party). But now during quarantine they do an episode every day and episodes in general are now like 40 - 60+ minutes instead of the usual 10. They hop between different series but they're currently doing House Party and Dan is replaying Link Between Worlds.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Says something that even with those edits, they still managed to end up 22 minutes of footage.

That's the thing that got me too. I looked at the timestamp and was like "22 minutes?!" Even ripping out everyone but Doug, Brad, the Molassia dude, and James Rolfe's cameo, there's STILL 22 minutes worth of "usable" footage in this movie? What? :vince:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

The James Rolfe/Board James cameo is still in there, which might be mistake, since I thought James cut ties with Channel Awesome.

James never really had much in the way of ties to CA. The rivalry thing was something he did for fun

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I couldn't parse a lot of this, but the first section feels akin to a thought I had a while back, where I feel like we as a society have this habit where we see or hear about some plan or project that sounds absolutely stupid, horrible, or ridiculous, and in response, we voice our concerns, concerns, and criticisms. Yet, with all the outcry that there might be, said thing ends up coming to pass anyway.

If anything, the habit we have is overestimating the size of that outcry, or for that matter the size of any group we happen to be a part of. If the 2016 election was decided by the media then Trump would have lost in a massive landslide, but (surprise, surprise) journalists turned out to be completely out of touch with the thoughts of the average person, and so they created the illusion that opposition to him was much larger than it actually was.

Also don’t feel bad about not understanding what that guy says; it’s like one paragraph’s worth of reasonable opinion wrapped up in several pages of gibberish designed to obfuscate what he’s saying and make it harder for people to contradict him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

James never really had much in the way of ties to CA. The rivalry thing was something he did for fun

Also if we're being true to the letter of the edit, James was never on CA to begin with, therefore he never left it, meaning he stays in the movie.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
James still cameo'd on some NC videos from time to time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Now the titles are less neat and the thumbnails are absolute messes, always with irritating super exaggerated reaction faces taking up most of them. I don’t hold it against them because this is what they do for a living and that clickbait poo poo must be super effective considering that EVERYONE does it, but man I hate that poo poo.

I still have yet to see any proof of these types of titles and thumbnails actually resulting in any positive change to viewership.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I still have yet to see any proof of these types of titles and thumbnails actually resulting in any positive change to viewership.

What kind of proof were you hoping for?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The thing is overall, they probably didn't in the long run. But if you didn't do it, you probably got shellacked to gently caress and back because everyone else was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ariong posted:

Yeah. Even large channels have to bow to the whim of the Algorithm. You can't just have a large base and make content for them, you have to exponentially grow or YouTube casts you into a black hole even if your subscribers have run that notification bell and slammed that like button.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

What kind of proof were you hoping for?

Any, really.

I mean, YouTube offers lot of analytics for your videos, so a channel should be able to look at what effect, if any, doing their thumbnails and titles differently appears to have.

StealthArcher posted:

The thing is overall, they probably didn't in the long run. But if you didn't do it, you probably got shellacked to gently caress and back because everyone else was.

It's a sound theory, but still just a theory, and one that is easily challenged by the number of channels out there that don't follow the trend and seem to be doing just fine.

The obvious answer here is that "different things appeal to different people" which then extends to the possibility of following these trends appeals to a younger audience while the older audience drifts away. But still, analytics on demographics and stuff should show that kinda thing, right?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 23, 2020

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hel posted:

Yeah twitch can be really heavy, consider looking into streamlink or something similar that let's you watch it through a regular media player. You'll lose the chat on vods, but in most cases that's not a significant cost.

VLC nowadays loads twitch links to both streams and vods directly!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Macaluso posted:

I fell out of my chair when Arin in game is doing the thing with the painting and Frank just goes SHUT THE gently caress UP DOOD

Things are weird right now that they're in quarantine. They record at Arin's house right now so it's just Arin and Dan, they don't have their 10 minute power hour crew around right now because of it. But they are gonna be doing podcasts in place of it for now so that's cool.

I'm confused about the random daily video comment though. For a while they stopped doing videos every single day I guess to just have more time to themselves (it sounds like the channel is quite a bit more work than just going in and recording for a few hours. Arin basically runs the whole company and his touring company, and other projects and Dan is obviously also doing Ninja Sex Party). But now during quarantine they do an episode every day and episodes in general are now like 40 - 60+ minutes instead of the usual 10. They hop between different series but they're currently doing House Party and Dan is replaying Link Between Worlds.

Episodes were already longer in general before quarantine; a few months back, after some feedback from the community, Arin decided to start doing longer videos so that they could continue doing full-ish playthroughs while mitigating the damage of the algorithm for two major reasons: Youtube no longer likes it when a channel uploads multiple videos a day (which I think is why they have the separate "The Grumps" channel now for content like 10 Minute Power Hour) and they don't like videos with titles like "Video Game - Part 70." If he hadn't, they wouldn't have finished their LPs of Phoenix Wright 1 and Twilight Princess.

Of all the major YT channels I follow, Arin and Jirard (of the Completionist) exude the biggest "I loving hate YouTube" energy, and I'm certain that if there was a viable alternative, they would be gone within a second.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7O1mnaUB2M

anyone ever watch this dudes stuff? its fasinating and funny stuff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The WA-HEY WOOHOO wacky face thumbnails probably do get more literal children and toddlers to look at what you're doing, gotta remember that actual babies are a source of lots of views on youtube.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

The WA-HEY WOOHOO wacky face thumbnails probably do get more literal children and toddlers to look at what you're doing, gotta remember that actual babies are a source of lots of views on youtube.
Kids’ YouTube is one of the creepiest things. My niece would rather watch some guy act out with some PJ Mask toys than watch the actual cartoon, and that’s unsettling to me.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kunster posted:

VLC nowadays loads twitch links to both streams and vods directly!

That's nice to know, I couldn't get it to work in the minute I tried but then again I don't think I've updated VLC in a while.
Honestly it's kinda surprising how bad some online media players are at actually playing media.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I hate this poo poo so much.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 23, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/735281634656669696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

I hate this poo poo so much.

I also can't figure out how to embed images for some reason

Use [img] for full size or [timg] for smaller pics like I did here.

also hhheeeuugghh