Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Today I noticed that the Veloster N has one door on the drivers side and two on the passenger side.

That is all.

yeah that's always been the Veloster's thing

also get this: asymmetric B pillars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Isn’t it usually reversed? I vaguely remember taking a look at one a while ago and the single door being on the passenger side.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Warbird posted:

Isn’t it usually reversed? I vaguely remember taking a look at one a while ago and the single door being on the passenger side.

nah the one door is on the drivers side to make driver ingress/egress better, they figure if you ever have to use the back seat you have a passenger anyhow. it's pretty clever. i drove a Pre-N veloster and just couldn't love it.

edit: to be clear, the single large door is on the left side of the vehicle. if you're in a moon country i guess it would be on the passenger side.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
I believe they switch the door arrangement for right hand drive markets so you may have seen that in photos. Or an accidental mirrored image.

They're also equipped significantly better for less money in Canada as of last year. I've heard the 1.6 in them is pretty iffy, but haven't heard anything about the 2 liter turbo in the N.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: to be clear, the single large door is on the left side of the vehicle. if you're in a moon country i guess it would be on the passenger side.
Nah, the Veloster has different bodies for RHD and LHD markets, the driver's side always gets the long door and the passenger side gets two doors.

It's the first-gen Mini Clubman that always put the two doors on the right, ironically loving over their "home market".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wolrah posted:

It's the first-gen Mini Clubman that always put the two doors on the right, ironically loving over their "home market".

But Germany drives on the right :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

MarsellusWallace posted:

I believe they switch the door arrangement for right hand drive markets so you may have seen that in photos. Or an accidental mirrored image.

They're also equipped significantly better for less money in Canada as of last year. I've heard the 1.6 in them is pretty iffy, but haven't heard anything about the 2 liter turbo in the N.

Nah, I was climbing around this one in the Carolinas so it must have been my mind messing with me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking for a shift knob for a 2018 Civic Si. What's a reputable site to order one from?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wolrah posted:

Nah, the Veloster has different bodies for RHD and LHD markets, the driver's side always gets the long door and the passenger side gets two doors.

lol what in the gently caress hyundai just pissin away money

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I'm looking for a shift knob for a 2018 Civic Si. What's a reputable site to order one from?

rhdjapan got my Mugen knob here with no fuss.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

But Germany drives on the right :v:

This post deserves some lovin.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol what in the gently caress hyundai just pissin away money

No, they are being nice to LHD nations, who in most cases don't deserve it compared to the Godlike RHD nations :smug:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

mariooncrack posted:

Nengun is one of my go to's if you want the JDM goodness
https://www.nengun.com/honda/civic-fk7/interior

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
The rotiforms I ordered didn't fit my Type R due to the barrel being too small. :smith:

They we're catching on the tallest part of the brakes

At least the wheel company took them back no sweat and now I've got some Work Emotions on order

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ran into the stalling issue on my '19 GTI MT. It happened a few times my first week, but I thought maybe I was just getting used to the clutch and loving it up myself. Happened 3x this week though, each time as I was coasting to a stop at a traffic light. Did some digging and found this service bulletin, so hopefully it's not too much hassle to get it fixed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169120-0001.pdf

Other than that I'm absolutely loving the GTI, if this is the "boring" hot hatch I'd probably land myself in jail with a FiST.

e: aaaaand service dept just tried telling me that it's normal behavior... this should be fun

gonna print out that service bulletin and head down later

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 13, 2020

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Ran into the stalling issue on my '19 GTI MT. It happened a few times my first week, but I thought maybe I was just getting used to the clutch and loving it up myself. Happened 3x this week though, each time as I was coasting to a stop at a traffic light. Did some digging and found this service bulletin, so hopefully it's not too much hassle to get it fixed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169120-0001.pdf

Other than that I'm absolutely loving the GTI, if this is the "boring" hot hatch I'd probably land myself in jail with a FiST.

e: aaaaand service dept just tried telling me that it's normal behavior... this should be fun

gonna print out that service bulletin and head down later

I had the same issue and had to bring my 19 MT GTI to the dealer and told them about the bulletin. They said they had to keep it over night to diagnose and then when I picked it up they said their was a bulletin from VW so they updated my ecm. It was ok because they gave me a loaner, but yeah I also couldn't get them to acknowledge it until it was fixed. Since then no stalling.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I had the stalling issue last summer and they replaced my base model S with an SE since I was okay to go to the DSG and didn't seem like they would ever resolve it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I miss driving my GTI. Our office converted 90% of staff to work from home and my state has been on lockdown pretty much ever since. I only go out a couple times a week to the grocery store, Costco, or Home Depot for stuff and all of those are within a few miles. Haven't filled my tank since March 20th.

Even bought a new Valentine One Gen2 radar detector just before the poo poo hit the fan and have barely gotten any facetime with it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e : nm

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 14, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

I had the same issue and had to bring my 19 MT GTI to the dealer and told them about the bulletin. They said they had to keep it over night to diagnose and then when I picked it up they said their was a bulletin from VW so they updated my ecm. It was ok because they gave me a loaner, but yeah I also couldn't get them to acknowledge it until it was fixed. Since then no stalling.

Good to hear the ecm flash fixed it, I was pretty bummed that they hadn't already heard of the issue when I called in. But I suppose if they had heard about it and didn't flash the car before selling it that would be even worse. I printed out the pdf and will take that down with me Friday morning when I bring it in, hopefully they'll just flash it without trying to reproduce the error first.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Cheaper than a lowering kit. Who needs a light duty truck from the 90s when you've got a plucky turbo 4 making the same power?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So what would be the cheapest/sanest way to get kayak/overhead hauling capability on a GTI? I assume some removable Thule roof rack setup and some ratchet straps?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Thule or Yakima.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can get purpose built foam blocks and run straps through the cabin/over the blocks and kayak, with safety straps on the front and back. Seasucker is the fancier temporary way. If temporary just means remove when you sell the car there are loads of clamp on options.

Use cambuckle straps instead of ratchet straps though; you can actually bend/break a kayak if you crank up the tension too much.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

So what would be the cheapest/sanest way to get kayak/overhead hauling capability on a GTI? I assume some removable Thule roof rack setup and some ratchet straps?

OEM crossbars and then the attachments of your choice.

I don't have any pics of the kayak on my GTI, but it would be the same thing. Not all attachments come with the ability to hook up with T-slots right away but both Thule and Yakima make conversion kits for everything since they also sell bars that require T-slots. If you happen to be in Colorado I'll hook up with the OEM bars for a mk6 or mk7 for cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Warbird posted:

Used Yakima or Thule off Craigslist or FB marketplace if you're patient you can find a set cheap, brand new they are expensive.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The foam block thing isn't a bad idea, I had forgotten that was an option. I may end up going with that if I can't gsource some proper crossbars.

fknlo posted:

OEM crossbars and then the attachments of your choice.

I don't have any pics of the kayak on my GTI, but it would be the same thing. Not all attachments come with the ability to hook up with T-slots right away but both Thule and Yakima make conversion kits for everything since they also sell bars that require T-slots. If you happen to be in Colorado I'll hook up with the OEM bars for a mk6 or mk7 for cheap.

I had a similar setup with my old jeep but in practice I just flipped the kayak upside down on the crossbars and wratchetted that poo poo down hard. I'll keep an eye on Craigslist to see if something pops up; any SKUs/models to watch for or are they generally universal?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's pretty standard, I have a Yakima setup, you want the Q towers and then cross bars that are gonna be the length you need just don't get them too short. You can always cut longer ones if you need to. If you go on Yakima's site it will tell you the minimum length you need.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

I'll keep an eye on Craigslist to see if something pops up; any SKUs/models to watch for or are they generally universal?

If I didn't have anything else up there I'd just put the kayak upside down directly on the bars as well. For the Golf/GTI the OEM bars are usually just listed as OEM or Votex. They're very identifiable and don't look like anything from Thule or Yakima. They're not too expensive new either if you hunt around a bit. I mainly went with them for the T-slot as I've had bad experiences with bolt on attachments coming off on the highway... The only comparable T-slot bars from Thule and Yakima were more than double the price of the OEM bars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OE base bars retail at $299

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got my Yakima setup for $150, if you're patient you can get one cheap on the used market.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How reliable are Mazdspeed 3s? They seem disgustingly cheap for something with an LSD, turbo, and useable hatch

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

How reliable are Mazdspeed 3s? They seem disgustingly cheap for something with an LSD, turbo, and useable hatch

Zoom, zoom, boom.

The low price is a clear indicator that the car has been beat on.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

Like most turbo DI engines, they need regular maintenance and monitoring. The biggest issues are a marginal high pressure fuel pump and a sensitivity to LSPI. Upgraded fuel pump internals are a must-do modification right away.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Zoom, zoom, boom.

Lol, never heard that one before

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rhyno posted:

Zoom, zoom, boom.

The low price is a clear indicator that the car has been beat on.

When I say cheap I'm talking about clean 08-12 ~100k mile cars in the $7-9k range. Is that about the right area, or are those underpriced?

MourningGlory posted:

Like most turbo DI engines, they need regular maintenance and monitoring. The biggest issues are a marginal high pressure fuel pump and a sensitivity to LSPI. Upgraded fuel pump internals are a must-do modification right away.

Thank you, I'll look into that :)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

When I say cheap I'm talking about clean 08-12 ~100k mile cars in the $7-9k range. Is that about the right area, or are those underpriced?

That sounds about right to me.

Get an 08.5 or 09. Second gens be fugly and its the same drivetrain.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

More general vehicle question incoming. To offset my unemployment I started doing food/beer delivery for a local brewery. The company van wasn't starting and we were way behind, so I took an order in my gti. The loving cap blew off a growler of oatmeal stout, emptying the 64oz of beer onto the floor in my backseat. Anyone have recommendations for small, powerful carpet shampooer you can rent? My car smells like rotten soy sauce dumped into a hangover.

Tried doing some research at home depot and whatnot, but most places aren't even doing rentals right now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Did you try supermarkets? I always see them in cages near the service counter.

I would suggest asking the company to pay for a detailer to clean it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

taqueso posted:

Did you try supermarkets? I always see them in cages near the service counter.

I would suggest asking the company to pay for a detailer to clean it up

The grocery stores around here only have the big gently caress off upright ones that you use to clean an apartment or something. If the depot near me had any it was only like 16 bucks or something for a rental. Just kinda seeing if anyone has had experience with the hand ones I could fit in a two door back seat easily