Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll be honest I kinda want to see you watch 21 just so we can all hate it again vicariously through you.

But don't. Its very, very bad. And racist. And misogynist. And just plain mean. Except for Ovi and Nicole. They were rays of light in a terrible, terrible storm.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

I'll be honest I kinda want to see you watch 21 just so we can all hate it again vicariously through you.

But don't. Its very, very bad. And racist. And misogynist. And just plain mean. Except for Ovi and Nicole. They were rays of light in a terrible, terrible storm.

I probably will end up watching it, but BB13 is proving to be a MUCH needed palate cleanser.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I was poking around CBS All-Access and made the enormous mistake of watching Big Brother Over The Top instead of BB21. Holy poo poo that was awful. I can’t even imagine how BB21 could be worse than this dumpster fire. The premise was really interesting but inserting a returning player into that was incredibly stupid, and the whole thing felt Grodnered to death.

BB seems to have settled into a formula. I spend 99% of the season absolutely loathing the cast while everyone in the house does everything they can to prop up the one returning player...

...and then that obnoxious jackass gets owned in the finale.

I don’t like it one bit. It’s not fun to watch. It’s excruciating watching the returnees spend the whole season being insufferably smug and awful both inside the DR and the house. I guess it’s better than seeing the worst person on the season win, but I don’t want to watch it anymore.

I don’t think I can do BB21 for a while. I’ve slogged through way way waaaaaaaaay too much awful television this month. Maybe I’ll try BB21 in a couple weeks or something. I don’t think there’s enough of a palate cleanser season in the history of BB after this garbage.

...but I’m gonna try. It’s time to bring out the biggest gun in the armory: BB10.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well the good news is BB21 has no returning players.

The bad news is it has quite possibly the most insufferably smug and awful cast in BB history.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

Well the good news is BB21 has no returning players.

The bad news is it has quite possibly the most insufferably smug and awful cast in BB history.

So it’s season six all over again?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I might actually put BB6 as worse just because I really can't think of any high notes or good moments. BB21 is terrible but it has (a) two of the nicest houseguests cast in BB history and (b) one of the single most universally loved weeks in BB history. It also had a couple of rare instances of genuine apologies. Unfortunately nearly everything else is kind of terrible and horrible.

But as best as I recall at least no one mocked someone's suicide.

I suppose as I think of it the best way to describe the difference between the two is that BB6 is like a whole house of assholes being assholes to each other and BB21 is a large alliance of assholes being assholes to the minority of the house. So I can see how people might digest BB6 easier but I can also see why someone might find it easier to have someone to like on BB21.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 23, 2020

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
oof, that sounds rough. I’m not sure I’d dig awful people bullying the hell out of decent people. Big Brother 11 is one of my least favorite seasons in part because of the meathead guy bullying and harassing the hell out of that nerdy guy.

Welp. I’ll probably end up watching BB21 eventually but for now I’m catching up on Survivor and then it’s time for some Dan Gheesling magic.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BB21 may have also completely killed the have nots mechanic.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Its definitely killed the have-nots punishment and they might as well not bring it back. Even before season 21 they hardly showed people being have nots for a while. I never even really remember who is a have-not. I mean they used to have an entire show dedicated to the haves and have not competitions and really show the effects of being it during the show.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
They need to up the have nots so we can get another Dan BB14 moment

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It feels like a fundamental flaw to assume that just because they bent over backwards to kill Have Nots for one dude who refused to or was incapable of cooperating with them that they'll be consistent about that and not just bring them back next season anyway. This IS Big Brother and its arbitrary as gently caress.

I actually think they keep Have Nots around just for the extra room and house division. I actually do think there's some benefit from not allowing the sides of the house to just divide up into their own rooms all season. But there's probably other ways you could mess with that.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 23, 2020

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am not particularly well-versed in reality shows, but BB21 and Survivor 39 were the two worst seasons back-to-back.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The CBS reality show casting department probably had a stern talking to after the second straight show finale entirely focused on what terrible monsters the cast were.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

STAC Goat posted:

I think I might actually put BB6 as worse just because I really can't think of any high notes or good moments. BB21 is terrible but it has (a) two of the nicest houseguests cast in BB history and (b) one of the single most universally loved weeks in BB history. It also had a couple of rare instances of genuine apologies. Unfortunately nearly everything else is kind of terrible and horrible.

But as best as I recall at least no one mocked someone's suicide.

I suppose as I think of it the best way to describe the difference between the two is that BB6 is like a whole house of assholes being assholes to each other and BB21 is a large alliance of assholes being assholes to the minority of the house. So I can see how people might digest BB6 easier but I can also see why someone might find it easier to have someone to like on BB21.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of BB9, not BB6.

BB6 is the one with Janelle and Kaysar etc. versus the "Friendship." Lots of high notes and good moments and is generally considered one of the better seasons even though the bad guys ended up winning.

BB9 is the irredeemable winter season one with no good guys, where someone mocked his castmate's father's suicide and said she should follow in her father's footsteps, and was won by a guy who ended up going to prison for many years.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Nah, BB6 was terrible. The Sovereign Six were exposed as fraudulent whiny children on BB7, and were only likeable sitting next to (and losing horribly to) the most obnoxious alliance in the history of reality television: The Friendship/Nerd Herd.

I guess the best positive spin you could put on BB6 was that it set up a bunch of enormously hateable tomato cans for Dr Will to knock down in BB7. Exposing Kaysar and James as a total joke was particularly sweet.

BB9 was awful too, but BB6 will forever be the standard by which awful seasons of reality television will be judged.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, bbf2 is right. I meant BB9. BB9 is a toxic poo poo show with like nothing redeeming I can think of.

I liked BB6 the one time I watched it. I mean, I see the arguments against it and I don’t know that I’d want to watch it again. There’s a poo poo load of toxic behavior from both sides. Janelle, James, and Howie are deeply flawed “heroes” that would be villains on near any other season. I love Kaysar but he obviously let his ego get ahead of his gameplay. But like it has a constant back and forth, lots of twists and turns, and a ton of assholes eating poo poo. I mean, again, I get why Janelle is a less than ideal protagonist and she’d be a huge villain 4 out of 5 times. But that did happen to be the fifth time it worked, at least for me. At least one time. And I can still go back and rewatch the episode where Kaysar flips the house.

I think it’s a little silly to say Sov 6 lost horribly to Friendship. I mean Janelle made F3. But BB stops being much of a game past like F6.

My problem with BB6 is that it’s left this legacy where BB fans are forever wanting a deeply divided house and that poo poo just doesn’t work. BB6 was a perfect storm of power flips and betrayals driven in large part by two comp beasts on the smaller side. Most of the time that house war plays much less interesting and you get poo poo like Level 6 vs Foutte. The game is much more interesting when it’s more fluid. But bb fans rather root for a team than see good gameplay because they’re all holding onto how much they liked BB6. But like it’s only a divided house until one side gets the numbers and everyone folds. And that always happens.

And of course BB has done stupid poo poo like the Battle of the Block and the Hacker that just encourage sticking with the numbers.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

No, bbf2 is right. I meant BB9. BB9 is a toxic poo poo show with like nothing redeeming I can think of.

I liked BB6 the one time I watched it. I mean, I see the arguments against it and I don’t know that I’d want to watch it again. There’s a poo poo load of toxic behavior from both sides. Janelle, James, and Howie are deeply flawed “heroes” that would be villains on near any other season. I love Kaysar but he obviously let his ego get ahead of his gameplay. But like it has a constant back and forth, lots of twists and turns, and a ton of assholes eating poo poo. I mean, again, I get why Janelle is a less than ideal protagonist and she’d be a huge villain 4 out of 5 times. But that did happen to be the fifth time it worked, at least for me. At least one time. And I can still go back and rewatch the episode where Kaysar flips the house.

I think it’s a little silly to say Sov 6 lost horribly to Friendship. I mean Janelle made F3. But BB stops being much of a game past like F6.

My problem with BB6 is that it’s left this legacy where BB fans are forever wanting a deeply divided house and that poo poo just doesn’t work. BB6 was a perfect storm of power flips and betrayals driven in large part by two comp beasts on the smaller side. Most of the time that house war plays much less interesting and you get poo poo like Level 6 vs Foutte. The game is much more interesting when it’s more fluid. But bb fans rather root for a team than see good gameplay because they’re all holding onto how much they liked BB6. But like it’s only a divided house until one side gets the numbers and everyone folds. And that always happens.

And of course BB has done stupid poo poo like the Battle of the Block and the Hacker that just encourage sticking with the numbers.

I actually think BB20 was a nice illustration that "divided house" seasons DO work, it's just the balance is extremely delicate and once one side pics up momentum things start to snowball. We got through a solid 60% of BB20 with Foutte and Level 6 roughly alternating power and it was awesome, it only started to suck in the last few weeks when Foutte started dying a death by a thousand mostly self-inflicted wounds (in particular the 1-2 punch of Rockstar accidentally giving Tyler the veto followed by Fessy's HoH mess was almost impossible to recover from).

The alternate universe where Tyler loses that veto and is evicted at Final 9 or whatever and Level 6 crumbles and Fessy uses his subsequent HoH to target Kaycee and Angela could have produced a really exciting BB20 endgame.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
You nailed my big issue with BB6 STAC, on any other season the Sovereign Six would be considered villains, and rightly so. It’s only the world-class unlikability of The Friendship that got them a pass.

They were astoundingly smug for an alliance so poor at playing the game. Janelle was the closest to competent in the whole alliance and her ceiling is “dollar store knockoff Rachel Reilly”.

Their sole saving grace was how much fun it was watching them get utterly demolished the following year. Probably the most overrated alliance in the history of BB or Survivor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem with BB20 was that it was only a divided house war superficially. Level 6 had the majority the whole way, just outside the L6 core but with JC, Sam, Kaitlyn, as well as Haleigh, Bayleigh, and Scottie always trying to "play the middle". And then the numbers could have flipped on Haleigh's HOH but the Hacker devalued it because even though game devices theoretically could serve to flip things realistically they're more liking to benefit the majority.

Plus, you know... again the house war largely comes down to a game that's about who wins comps. L6 were really bad at winning comps so the first half of the game stayed pretty lively and L6 really SHOULD have been dismantled pre-jury but not for Tyler's manipulations of Kaitlyn, Sam, and JC. But then Tyler got tired of playing when people started to recognize what he was doing and call him on it. At that stage Haleigh's HOH could have turned the house but the Kaycee won Hacker and it was undone. Then Fessy, Haleigh, and JC all blow their games in one move taking out Scottie and from then on L6 just wins all the comps through a numerical advantage.

That's the problem. The game only allows "divided houses" if the power keeps flipping. But in the modern game winning HOH isn't enough to flip power. You also gotta win all the superpowers. BB6 was a different game where Kaysar or Janelle could win HOH and gently caress with people. And Janelle won a LOT of HOHs so she kept loving with people. But without that kind of comp beast its a tough thing to maintain.

BGrifter posted:

You nailed my big issue with BB6 STAC, on any other season the Sovereign Six would be considered villains, and rightly so. It’s only the world-class unlikability of The Friendship that got them a pass.

They were astoundingly smug for an alliance so poor at playing the game. Janelle was the closest to competent in the whole alliance and her ceiling is “dollar store knockoff Rachel Reilly”.

Their sole saving grace was how much fun it was watching them get utterly demolished the following year. Probably the most overrated alliance in the history of BB or Survivor.

I mean, 15 years later I don't think anyone still really holds Sov 6 highly. They largely killed their luster in All Stars and Janelle and Howie's behavior has aged badly. But like, Kaysar while not a GREAT player by any means was one of the few seemingly decent people on that cast and did a good job flipping the house. And Janelle and James were comp beasts with character. And Howie was a character. So you know... people enjoyed it and I don't think its hard to see why, especially when played against how unlikable Friendship were and how satisfying it was to see Janelle ruin their day.

But in 2020 I don't think many people are really gonna be ranking any of them highly.

edit: To me the clearest example of bad "house wars" is BB17. Ok, you start with James and Jason forming a majority and Vanessa, Austin, Shelly, the Twins, and Steve are on the outside of it. Vanessa and Austin manage to flip the house and gain the majority and all that's left of James and Jason's crew are them, Meg, and Jackie. People are rooting for them because they're "the other side" but they're also really bad, passive players. I theorized we would have gotten better play if we quickly dismantled them and FFed to Vanessa vs Austin vs Shelley vs Steve. And I think that ended up being one of the better end games in BB history even without Shelly in the mix. But because James and Becky* won a bunch of comps we delayed that out for some weeks of hoping Jason and Meg would stand up. Literally.

*Poor Becky. A tragic story of someone outside the majority at the start of the game, offered a spot in the minority revolt and turning it down because she misjudged her game position, the revolt works and flips the house, and then Becky has no choice but to align with the overthrown anchor scraps.

I could talk all day about BB17.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 25, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yearly rumors of an All Stars season for 22:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/big-brother-eyes-second-stars-172348501.html

Rinse and repeat, but there seems like a lot of things which would align to make it more likely this year.

Easier to reel in returnees to stay in due Covid worries. 20 year anniversary. Could make it not as long due to the start being pushed back some.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Teek posted:

Yearly rumors of an All Stars season for 22:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/big-brother-eyes-second-stars-172348501.html

Rinse and repeat, but there seems like a lot of things which would align to make it more likely this year.

Easier to reel in returnees to stay in due Covid worries. 20 year anniversary. Could make it not as long due to the start being pushed back some.

Also, having an all star season means getting people who have developed some degree of media savvy and who will be less likely to say bigoted poo poo when they know cameras are running and they are mic’d up.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I remember my watch-through of season 6. I got into BB during Dan's first season (great season) At some point after that I started rewatching old seasons. I remember the beginning of season 6 being really fun, and interesting. Then every person that was likeable got picked off 1 by 1 until it was just Janelle left, and even if she stuck around a little after that (I honestly forget) all the other people were Soooooooo boring and lame. I liked the twist from season 6 though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, when people remember S6 fondly I think its basically 3 things.

1) That Week 3 magic of Kaysar winning HOH, rallying numbers, and flipping the house with that really compelling POV play. Nowadays the idea of the HOH putting up a pawn and conspiring to rig the POV is not only common but the rules have been adapted to try and avoid it, but back then it was some cool poo poo. And it couldn't have happened to a smugger guy than Cappy.

2) The pure emotional highs and lows of the constant HOH power shifts and the whacked out betrayals and bad decisions of Jen betraying Kaysar or Maggie convincing Howie to betray James.

3) The schadenfreude of Janelle winning all the fan stuff and constantly winning challenges and driving the Friendship completely insane in their self righteousness and frustration.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Anyone watching the new AU Big Brother? It's a reboot with the US/CAN format, right? I figured the BB community would be all over this and talking it up as much as BBCan but I've barely heard a peep about it. I'm guessing that I should take that as a sign that it's no good?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

mancalamania posted:

Anyone watching the new AU Big Brother? It's a reboot with the US/CAN format, right? I figured the BB community would be all over this and talking it up as much as BBCan but I've barely heard a peep about it. I'm guessing that I should take that as a sign that it's no good?

I am watching it. - The Woman who keeps complaining about tea I love her. She reminds me of the UK nutbag that was in BB Canada.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I watched a couple of episodes. It's not very good.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Dan is probably just trolling but...

https://youtu.be/mBnKDB42I60

Apparently the clips in question from the middle of the video are recent ones.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Dan was trolling fwiw.

Current rumor is an end of month move in with early start next month. Also:

https://twitter.com/bigblagger/status/1285248524981096450?s=20

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
My wife and I have been re-watching BB14 to fill the summer BB void and man this season holds up so well. I have to say it's the last "great" season. If you need to fill a BB sized hole in your heart I suggest rolling thru BB14 again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SweetJahasus posted:

I have to say it's the last "great" season.

BB17.
:colbert:

I have to be honest, I was kind of relieved for no BB season. Seeing one might happen is getting the wrong emotions from me.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

STAC Goat posted:

BB17.
:colbert:

I have to be honest, I was kind of relieved for no BB season. Seeing one might happen is getting the wrong emotions from me.

Okay BB17 is...fine. Compared to 14 though it's still clear 14 is leagues above it. I couldn't get invested in the Clay/Shelley crap and the Nolan twins gimmick was exhausting to me because they were so dumb. In 14 once Jojo goes out the game starts to get interesting fast, and anything with Britney is good tv.:colbert:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, the Twins and Clay and Shelley were only supporting characters and the latter didn't even make it to Jury. And the Twins made for some fun moments from other people. Audrey was a hurricane. Vanessa feels like the last great player we've had and was a hurricane herself. I think Austin is an underrated player and incredibly hilarious buffoon. I really enjoyed Johnny Mac and Becky got hit by a train. James was fun. Some people like Jason, Meg, Jackie, and Day. The only real knocks I'd put in BB17 is that it dragged a bit in the middle when the Gremlins couldn't bother playing the game and its got an underwhelming winner. But Vanessa stayed in there keeping things interesting until F3.

But you know, individual tastes. BB14 is the season that made me a fan.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Yeah I don't wanna disagree that bb17 is good, because it definitely is. I just don't know of any real huge moments from it that I look at and say "now THAT is some good BB poo poo!".

14 has dans funeral, Janelle's ouster, Ian clowning boogie, and Britney dumpstering everyone in confessionals all season. Its just got iconic BB stuff. 17 feels like it just has Vanessa overgaming the whole time and spiraling then a quiet nerd winning. I do have similar hesitations about Ian's win but I understand why Dan got so dragged at the finale, and you saw Ian eating poo poo all season in an effort to garner votes.

Maybe I should watch 17 again after this, but I can't remember many huge moments from it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's some moments. Audrey's meltdown. Julia revealing herself to Vanessa and Vanessa using that to form a power alliance from the bottom. Vanessa bumrushing Jeff to paint a target on him. Vanessa and Co turning on Austin and him having to beg/talk his way back in, and then Vanessa betraying Jason. James winning endurance to take down Shelli/Clay and Clay and James nearly fighting. Becky backdooring Vanessa only for her and AusTwins to activate their secret alliance with Steve to save her and screw Becky. Vanessa voting out Austin.

But a lot of that obviously rests on how you feel about Vanessa. If you don't like her or can't deal with her meltdowns then it probably falls apart a bit.

Ultimately I'm less of a "big move" fan as I am a gameplay fan so I really enjoy watching Vanessa and Austin take power from the bottom, both of them play their way out of near certain eviction at separate times, and the two of them leverage against each other and as it was clear someone had to make the move. I also just really enjoyed them as characters.

But again, I wasn't speaking ill of BB14. Its the season that made me a fan. I just also really like BB17.

Besides, the real answer is Big Brother Canada 2.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SweetJahasus posted:

My wife and I have been re-watching BB14 to fill the summer BB void and man this season holds up so well. I have to say it's the last "great" season. If you need to fill a BB sized hole in your heart I suggest rolling thru BB14 again.

I may have to do just that. The finale was so heartbreaking at the time I haven’t had it in me to go back.

I get why the jury voted the way they did. But I can’t help feeling like if the vote had gone the other way it’s instantly the greatest season of either Big Brother or Survivor. Sadly it’ll have to remain in the alternate universe where Parvati won HvV.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

of all the bb players to get a shot at survivor dan 10 years ago would have been someone i'd be interested to see in that game environment.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

all stars 2 could be interesting but if its gonna be a bunch of racists/shitheads or they do obvious game rigging gimmicks like battle of the block or Pairs im not gonna bother.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Not gonna lie, if either Rachel or Jessie are back I’m buying the feeds and watching every single episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

let's post what casts we'd want to see/who we think it would be for all stars, this is always great filler content

make your own here using the Custom Edit option.

i picked a variety of players that went deep into the game/won or were at least memorable personalities. Kemi I threw in because from reading about how last season was done it looks like she got a really raw deal, like Jodi/Cameron in previous seasons.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 21, 2020