Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Posting Trauma and Shitposting Disorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Stereotype posted:

lol everyone in the world is going to have ptsd after this

thats an elephant in the room, yeah. theres a couple others

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my alma mater posted something about it at the start of may

https://thedaily.case.edu/case-western-reserve-team-studying-unprecedented-levels-of-trauma-caused-by-covid-19-pandemic/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we're all going to get coronavirus twice a year for the rest of our lives, our brains wrecked with ptsd, and life expectancy will be in the 55-65 year range.

hug your loved ones, plant the prettiest flowers, enjoy what you can while you can. party's over.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

graph posted:

what's wrong with elephants, they're nice, noble creatures

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

jesus christ there's an image i haven't seen for a while

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

jesus christ there's an image i haven't seen for a while

at least you didn't forget it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yes bcoz im an elephant irl

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
more like a wooly mammoth!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:argh:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the Friday Rule should be backported to yospos imo. It's pleasant

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
what's the friday rule?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rotor is old jokes are not allowed in yosslack on fridays. We give him a break and it's pretty nice tbh.

i mean of course this just means that we run 120% on the other six days, but still

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there is a yospos slack?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

graph posted:

two of them were apocalyptic hells, the other was me and chris jericho (????) had to go on some search and rescue mission

Bad news, one of the apocalyptic hells isn't a dream.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there is and it's a closed community. there are discords and stuff tho.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

this is necessary but not sufficient

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I run a lot and it’s not sufficient and the plague rats infesting my space are starting to really get on my nerves now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Stereotype posted:

lol everyone in the world is going to have ptsd after this

in terms of generational struggles i’ll definitely take this over things like total war or famine

i’ve tried pointing this out to my parents several times but they just absolutely won’t stop bitching about this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

at least they have friends :shobon:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midjack posted:

i woke up screaming yesterday morning from some nightmare where my clothes were trying to eat me. i haven’t remembered a dream in 20 years.
It's only fair. They've put up with you wearing them for years; now they get to eat you as part of the bargain.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

in terms of generational struggles i’ll definitely take this over things like total war or famine

i’ve tried pointing this out to my parents several times but they just absolutely won’t stop bitching about this

White boomers have basically never experienced any adversity at all ever in their entire lives. They have absolutely no conception of what it is like to have any sort of hardship. "You have to stay at home and can't have dinner parties with your friends and no one will serve you while you shout at them for a few months" is literally the worst possible thing they have ever experienced in their privileged sheltered existence and they are absolutely losing it and it is going to end up killing millions.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

human adaptability is a good trait in general but it also means that we end up with our day to day lives feeling normal even if they're incredibly privileged and ultimately led to the "white feelings outrank poc lives" situation we're in now

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

number might edge up a bit though

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

qirex posted:

human adaptability is a good trait in general but it also means that we end up with our day to day lives feeling normal even if they're incredibly privileged and ultimately led to the "white feelings outrank poc lives" situation we're in now

The migrant crisis exemplifies this pretty well. Poor women and children walking thousands of miles to escape brutal sexual violence and desperate poverty aren't as important as Karen and Kevin in Ohio who are worried that maybe one might be a murderer or "wont work hard enough" or something incredibly stupid and selfish.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Kevin and Karen should maybe walk to another country if they don't like this one, per their own advice

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my benchmark has been "what civilians in continental europe had to endure from 1938-1946"

are you and your children spending every night in a bomb shelter? have you been kidnapped, sent three countries over, and forced for spend 100 hours a week in a dark cave making parts for v2 rockets? is there a "mass rape" problem in your town or county? are you literally living the woods to avoid the red army or wehrmacht? have you been rounded up and sent to an extermination camp? no? then shut the gently caress up and stop whining about the terrible unfathomable catastrophe youre experiencing

people - ordinary people, people like you and me - managed to survive all of that, reconstructed their devastated continent, and built new lives for themselves afterwards. corona sucks, but this is a walk in the park compared to what people in living memory have managed to pull themselves through

Stereotype posted:

White boomers have basically never experienced any adversity at all ever in their entire lives. They have absolutely no conception of what it is like to have any sort of hardship. "You have to stay at home and can't have dinner parties with your friends and no one will serve you while you shout at them for a few months" is literally the worst possible thing they have ever experienced in their privileged sheltered existence and they are absolutely losing it and it is going to end up killing millions.
yep

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i dont think it'll kill millions

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean not millions of americans anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think this also is why 9/11 broke so many people's brains, mass casualty events are for over there it was unthinkable our century of foreign adventure might ever come back to haunt us on our own soil

basically
https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=20
[this isn't the original version of this tweet, is it?]

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Stereotype posted:

I mean idk the Vietnam War probably counts as adversity for the boomers who got drafted. I'd definitely take dealing with this pandemic over that, that was a horrifying war for pretty much everyone involved

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
reading the descriptions of us boomers makes me glad my parents are sane and not freaking out because they can't go abuse staff at starbucks

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

rotor posted:

i mean not millions of americans anyway
I'm willing to say there's a reasonable chance the US will have more fatalities than all of Europe combined

This will probably be approximately equal to all of South America (most of which are in Brazil who is equally denialist)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

VikingofRock posted:

I mean idk the Vietnam War probably counts as adversity for the boomers who got drafted. I'd definitely take dealing with this pandemic over that, that was a horrifying war for pretty much everyone involved
Coronavirus has already killed more Americans than the Vietnam war and we're not exactly getting it contained in half the country

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm willing to say there's a reasonable chance the US will have more fatalities than all of Europe combined

This will probably be approximately equal to all of South America (most of which are in Brazil who is equally denialist)

the EU alone has 100 million more people so the odds are a bit against it but it's close enough that differences in how they're counted and reported could swamp the population difference

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DuckConference posted:

the EU alone has 100 million more people so the odds are a bit against it but it's close enough that differences in how they're counted and reported could swamp the population difference

that's what, 30 percent more? A difference in real casualty rates could easily make up that gap and more.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

DuckConference posted:

we could basically count the tallies by comparing year on year death statistics and have a pretty good estimate though. this should negate most of the differences between counting strategies

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Penisface posted:

we could basically count the tallies by comparing year on year death statistics and have a pretty good estimate though. this should negate most of the differences between counting strategies
Yeah the only reasonable way to do this is by excess mortality stats

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah the only reasonable way to do this is by excess mortality stats

Americans aren’t dying of COVID, they’re dying of the symptoms :sad:

states trying to reduce their stats out of some sort of fealty to the president is what broke my brain during this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jonny 290 posted:

there is and it's a closed community. there are discords and stuff tho.

people aren’t that eager to sit at your lunch table dude