Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The truth generally doesn't matter if you say poo poo convincingly enough, and then there's the question of which truth is relevant. The truth of "this is gonna turn into a big hassle" is far more important than whether it's actually true that he's vulnerable to a suit. Obviously the equation would change if Jimmy was dealing with someone higher up the social hierarchy who might want to punish him for daring to speak to his betters like this.

Ya, it's kind of the same with that scene in Breaking BAd where Saul essentially blackmails Jesse's parents and their lawyer by threatening to file a suit and encumber the sale of their meth contaminated property. Do you think Saul was actually going to file a suit and bring Jesse or Walt (the only two living people who knew about the meth) to the stand and go through all of that?

Nah, he just knew that the Pinkmans wouldn't wanna deal with it and would "settle" for just selling the house cheaply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm sure this might not be new... but this is pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzaLn4RVH8k

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The truth generally doesn't matter if you say poo poo convincingly enough, and then there's the question of which truth is relevant. The truth of "this is gonna turn into a big hassle" is far more important than whether it's actually true that he's vulnerable to a suit. Obviously the equation would change if Jimmy was dealing with someone higher up the social hierarchy who might want to punish him for daring to speak to his betters like this.

So the worker wouldn't need a lawyer to get it thrown out but it doesn't matter because the worker doesn't want to check to see how likely it is due to him not wanting to take an iota of risk.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

punk rebel ecks posted:

So the worker wouldn't need a lawyer to get it thrown out but it doesn't matter because the worker doesn't want to check to see how likely it is due to him not wanting to take an iota of risk.

It's like the worker was conned or something, wild.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Obviously its completely out of character for Jimmy to con somebody...

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Just finished this season.

I find Lalo to be a much more interesting character than Ignacio. I know that Lalo is a bad guy but I found myself rooting for him in the end. Nacho is just like a stoic Jesse Pinkman, tortured but without the crying.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I started a rewatch of Breaking Bad and I'm coming up to the end of season 4.

I remembered that Walt was a loving rear end in a top hat but I didn't remember just how much of an rear end in a top hat he was. Pretty much all of his problems were created by him deciding to act like the big dick in the room, usually repeatedly. Just doubling down on being a toxic as gently caress rear end in a top hat time after time after time, until everyone's lives around him are ruined.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Der Shovel posted:

I started a rewatch of Breaking Bad and I'm coming up to the end of season 4.

I remembered that Walt was a loving rear end in a top hat but I didn't remember just how much of an rear end in a top hat he was. Pretty much all of his problems were created by him deciding to act like the big dick in the room, usually repeatedly. Just doubling down on being a toxic as gently caress rear end in a top hat time after time after time, until everyone's lives around him are ruined.

Yeah, he's the worst. He didn't want to be meak anymore, so what does he do? He goes in the total opposite, and ruins so many lives in the process.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Jessie becomes so boring after Jane dies. All of the characters defined by "doesn't talk and mean mugs everyone" are terrible. The twins, mid series Jessie, early Nacho.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

That's a weird read on Jesse Pinkman

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually agree about Nacho. The way he's never spoken much, showed much emotion, and constantly mean-mugs has made him the least entertaining character on the show IMO... though I still root for him.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I actually agree about Nacho. The way he's never spoken much, showed much emotion, and constantly mean-mugs has made him the least entertaining character on the show IMO... though I still root for him.

he has a really deep anxiety (because, gently caress, anyone would) that manifests as emotional disassociation, imo

like there are a shitload of 'tough guy' types who deal with heavy anxiety, and ime that's how they do it- bury it, hide it, attempt to 'mind over matter' something that ultimately comes from the mind in the first place- it's just that we tend to associate anxiety with flinches and flighty bird-like behavior

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Jessie becomes so boring after Jane dies. All of the characters defined by "doesn't talk and mean mugs everyone" are terrible. The twins, mid series Jessie, early Nacho.

lol, the Terminator Twins are awesome because of how hilariously terrible they are

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

That's a weird read on Jesse Pinkman

Yeah, you're right, there was a period of a few episodes after Jane dies where he acts like that but I've made it further in my rewatch now and he's mostly snapped out of it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’m rewatching BB with my wife who never watched it first time around and she really hates Skylar (we are in season 2 and she is giving him the silent treatment)

It’s interesting how She’s a lot more understandable in hindsight. Rewatching you can really see how far Walt goes so quickly and how intolerable that should be for a partner. But at the time I remember thinking “give him a break!”

Also how explicitly his own fault almost everything is for Walt. Christ

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

funny way to spell posted:

lol, the Terminator Twins are awesome because of how hilariously terrible they are

I'm up to end of season 3 of my rewatch and my favorite example of this is them shooting the guy to test the bullet proof vest and this establishing that such a hit, especially at close range, would still gently caress you up to a degree from the force of impact. Hank repeatedly shoots the cousin at similar range in one of the same vests, who completely shrugs off all of the force of all those shots without so much as flinching.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Yeah, you're right, there was a period of a few episodes after Jane dies where he acts like that but I've made it further in my rewatch now and he's mostly snapped out of it.

Yeah, far be it for a character to be depressed when the person he loves dies tragically and in a very avoidable way, especially when you're also coming down from meth.

The opposite is much, much worse; stuff happens and there's no fallout, no consequence, or whatever consequences there are end up being stupid or bullshit.

Two excellent examples of this are Dexter and Sons of Anarchy. Having Jesse 'mope' around helps the show, overall.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Season 8 of Dexter in particular was a masterpiece of having the show set up for a number of potentially interesting things to happen in the final season and then managing to do absolutely none of those things and instead doing the least interesting thing at every opportunity.

It would be like if part 2 of season 5 opened up with Hank just asking Walt about the book, Walt saying "you got me, I knew Gale, but I didn't know he was a drug manufacturer" and Hank believing him and never suspecting him again.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nep-Nep posted:

I'm up to end of season 3 of my rewatch and my favorite example of this is them shooting the guy to test the bullet proof vest and this establishing that such a hit, especially at close range, would still gently caress you up to a degree from the force of impact. Hank repeatedly shoots the cousin at similar range in one of the same vests, who completely shrugs off all of the force of all those shots without so much as flinching.

To be excessively fair to the writers, the supplier was just some late-middle aged truck driver who could skim military gear every once in a while, and wasn't expecting to get shot. The twins are young men who spent their entire lives being cartel enforcers and were prepared for a fight. That's a pretty big benefit in the 'who can take a bullet impact better' contest. They're still easily the worst/least interesting characters in either series IMO.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Takes No Damage posted:

To be excessively fair to the writers, the supplier was just some late-middle aged truck driver who could skim military gear every once in a while, and wasn't expecting to get shot. The twins are young men who spent their entire lives being cartel enforcers and were prepared for a fight. That's a pretty big benefit in the 'who can take a bullet impact better' contest. They're still easily the worst/least interesting characters in either series IMO.

Plus some of it is understandable abstraction to have them be the Terminator Twins just to quickly visually say "these guys are loving great at blowing people away" without having to get more elaborate with the action. I'm glad they just own it like that because it really does make them so bad as characters that they're at least go into goofy bad. All of the action we see in the show is going for emotions and not a documentary of "this is how two guys with guns would dismantle a bunch of other guys with guns." Like I'd love if every shootout was guest-directed by Gareth Evans or something but they way they work with the violence in the show is generally great.

With how well it's subverted my expectations, at this point I'm almost prepared for a Lalo+Nacho team-up after Lalo finds out that Fring has a gun to his dad's head.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

teacup posted:

I’m rewatching BB with my wife who never watched it first time around and she really hates Skylar (we are in season 2 and she is giving him the silent treatment)

It’s interesting how She’s a lot more understandable in hindsight. Rewatching you can really see how far Walt goes so quickly and how intolerable that should be for a partner. But at the time I remember thinking “give him a break!”

Also how explicitly his own fault almost everything is for Walt. Christ

Skylar was widely hated in the first season or two because she does things like get really upset about a man dying from cancer smoking some weed and serve a man veggie bacon on his birthday, all without actually being at all aware of anything Walt is really doing. Basically, she is a sitcom-level bad person. Unfortunately for her, she is not in a sitcom. she is in a Crime Drama, and her husband initially seems like a nice guy from the viewer's perspective but gradually reveals himself to be a crime drama-level bad person. Her actions after she finds out what's going on are all totally understandable, and her crimes of "being a bit controlling and vaguely unpleasant to deal with sometimes" are unable to compete with Walt's "lots of actual murders, palling around with nazis, and being an actively manipulative narcissist".

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Like most of the supporting cast, Skylar's character is subtly shifted and largely improved between seasons 1 and 2. I love how a lot of characters in season 2 see through Walt's schtick really easily--Mike tracks him down in an hour and Skylar--knows the something is up, just not what. Even Hank deduces that Walt's keeping secrets, though he thinks that it's an affair.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Peanut Butler posted:

he has a really deep anxiety (because, gently caress, anyone would) that manifests as emotional disassociation, imo

like there are a shitload of 'tough guy' types who deal with heavy anxiety, and ime that's how they do it- bury it, hide it, attempt to 'mind over matter' something that ultimately comes from the mind in the first place- it's just that we tend to associate anxiety with flinches and flighty bird-like behavior

Of course Nacho has lots of anxiety, he keeps trying to take out his Salamanca boss and keeps failing over and over to actually kill one of them... He's built a web of lies around himself and multiple people know the truth... and he and his father will be dead if they spill it...

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Of course Nacho has lots of anxiety, he keeps trying to take out his Salamanca boss and keeps failing over and over to actually kill one of them... He's built a web of lies around himself and multiple people know the truth... and he and his father will be dead if they spill it...

yes! it is anxiety that anyone would feel, because every single person is susceptible to trauma-based anxiety

what I'm saying is more directed at people critiquing his character as affectless, flat, and stone-faced- this is how a certain kind of dude processes trauma and the anxiety that results. Michael Mando is doing an excellent job of portraying that anxiety not by being all flinchy and obviously scared-looking as our (inaccurate) cultural biases would expect, but through muuuuch more subtle tells, like how he works and flexes his jaw when it manifests

a lot of Gilligan's work is an exploration of modern North American masculinity, and this is a huge part that is often overlooked. A seemingly flat affect, one that seems unreal and inauthentic, is one way that dudes are often acculturated to deal with deep anxiety

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If Lalo dies, it should be from Nacho. It'd be poetic.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Janes dad didn't cause that plane to crash, Lalo tried to jump away from nachos ambush and got sucked into a jet engine

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The twins being terminators is fine for me in the same way anton chigurgh going around popping peoples heads with a cattle gun is fine. As in its ridiculous and surreal but thats part of the fun as the other characters deal with this force of nature capital E Evil.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Peanut Butler posted:

yes! it is anxiety that anyone would feel, because every single person is susceptible to trauma-based anxiety

what I'm saying is more directed at people critiquing his character as affectless, flat, and stone-faced- this is how a certain kind of dude processes trauma and the anxiety that results. Michael Mando is doing an excellent job of portraying that anxiety not by being all flinchy and obviously scared-looking as our (inaccurate) cultural biases would expect, but through muuuuch more subtle tells, like how he works and flexes his jaw when it manifests

a lot of Gilligan's work is an exploration of modern North American masculinity, and this is a huge part that is often overlooked. A seemingly flat affect, one that seems unreal and inauthentic, is one way that dudes are often acculturated to deal with deep anxiety

I recently went through Breaking Bad for the first time and I was really struck by how much this was worked into the show and all its characters, it was really well done. So much of it, especially in the first few episodes of season one, is framed to make you feel like Walt is "emasculated", like he's some lesser kind of man and it's the world's fault and oh poor Walt but then the story pulls back and it's like, no, Walt just really sucks.

Nacho, especially where he was in this season, is under an enormous amount of stress. He's surrounded by violent, powerful people who have itchy trigger fingers, his father's in their sights, and he has no way of predicting how they'll react to anything he does. Any statement, any action or lack thereof could be the tipping point for Gus or Lalo to lash out at him, he's a rabbit in a snare and he's learned it's safer to shut down and not give anybody anything rather than risk violence.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Nacho was doing the silent tough guy thing before he tried to get out of the cartel. That's how he acted with the Saul and the nerdy SUV guy back in season 1.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Really great, thanks for posting!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

These table reads are fantastic. If you've never seen the Blood Money one for Breaking Bad, it's also worth a watch.

Timestamped at Aaron Paul's amazing performance that literally makes the other actors in the room cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGhOdvzlloE&t=1490s

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Started season 5 of Breaking Bad. Two peak toxic shithead Walt moments rise above all.

Guy who has been diagnosed with cancer and is obviously scared out of his mind is looking for comfort and human contact. Walt decides to take the opportunity to make a big speech about what a loving badass he is and leaves the guy confused and even more scared than he was before. Was "hey, I was diagnosed a year ago and I'm in remission now, don't let cancer rule your life, you can totally beat it buddy" so hard to say?

At the end of season 4 after Gus has been blown up Skyler calls Walt up to ask if this was him. Walt, for some reason, decides to once again make a big speech about how he's the alpha dog who blows up three people at an old folks' home to "win". Somehow thinking this would reassure or comfort his wife who is scared out of her wits for her family's safety, and being angry and disappointed when in fact she is pushed away by his murdering-rear end husband who is openly bragging about the shocking violence he's committing.

And still some people think Walt is a good guy, a cool dude and a hero.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Skyler: Walt, I'm afraid of you. You're violent and unhinged.

Walt: But I just blew up 3 people who were going to kill us all!

Skyler: And why were they going to kill us all? What led to us being brought in here?

Walt: .... Skyler, I brought dipping sticks, so...

Sure he saved his family. From that evil he brought on them.

Good job, Walt.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

walt jr: Where's breakfast?

walt: I AM THE BREAKFAST

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Walt did at least use his big dumb speech powers to yell that Skyler had nothing to do with any of it when the police were listening.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I can't describe the feeling of only knowing about Walt's "I am the one who knocks" speech from cultural osmosis and people putting it on T-shirts like it's some cool badass thing and then seeing it in the context of the show where it's Walt basically having a tantrum at his wife.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People don't understand what strength is. They just see and emulate whoever is loudest and assume that is the same as strength.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Walt is grating on a binge watch. Ah yes, the lovely liar is lying again.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Walt is easily my favorite character. Sure he's evil, but he's a ton of fun to watch. This is fiction and not reality so it's ok to cheer for the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
walt was pretty cool when he threw that magic crystal at the ground and blew up a building