Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Nah, it's a family of flies called the Bombyliidae, or 'Bee flies'. They are bee mimics but one easy way to tell at a glance is those long mouthparts.

Still, nice find!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m still on page 11, but I just need to say, this is the best thread on the forums.

You might be the most productive and industrious person alive. I read from the start until Hicks death. Then I had to stop for the night because I cried and hugged my dog for 20 minutes then took her for a long walk.

Been slowly working my way through since and I hope to catch up soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

AceClown posted:

These are lady Orange Tips, you can see the really cool marbled pattern on the underwing of that second one really well.

You should be able to see their fellas about, they're real pretty

Edit: Oh wow that first picture is a Bee Hawk Moth, they're pretty rare that's a good fuckin spot mate!

Grumio posted:

Nah, it's a family of flies called the Bombyliidae, or 'Bee flies'. They are bee mimics but one easy way to tell at a glance is those long mouthparts.

Still, nice find!

Ratjaculation posted:

That's a dark-edged bee-fly, very under recorded so if you have time you should add it to iRecord or Naturewatch

I am placing it under the genus Ishouldplantlotsmorehonestyforthem for now :)

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’m still on page 11, but I just need to say, this is the best thread on the forums.

You might be the most productive and industrious person alive. I read from the start until Hicks death. Then I had to stop for the night because I cried and hugged my dog for 20 minutes then took her for a long walk.

Been slowly working my way through since and I hope to catch up soon!

Thankyou, I don't do accepting praise for my work well (british/catholic guilt/protestant work ethic) but I really appreciate it and find it a great motivator- not only to keep doing stuff but to also take the time and document poo poo so everyone else can play along from home

Please go give that dog a treat and a fuss and tell them desperatedan sends his regards :)

boil in the bag

Relaxing nature time?

Please follow the guide and stick to the marked paths

Water. Expired dutch army rations. the essentials.

I'm fairly sure the two thin fat ball feeders are getting emptied out of the top, so I ziptied the lids on this time, and birdfeeder footage shows a variety of guests who may have been dipping

My office is so much nicer with a little extra workspace

Meal of the day was green bean and meatball casserole type thing. 5/10 on the ration pack taste scale, maybe a 6 after a pinch of salt and pepper.

Watering was done

Despite the ants fighting me bravely

On deer trails we have lots and the trailcam has kept getting some good stuff but with the kids home all the time my chances for editing much remains limited but I'm hoping I can finish off the backlog of birdfeeder footage and get a selection of clips up- I have deerfights and deerlove and foxes picking up eggs as gentle as they were babies and various other cool specimens

I was mainly down to check on things and have a chill but I took a few mins to tie the tarp at the front to allow more light to the solar panels, temp job for now, neater job to keep the windproofing good at a later date

That did me some good :)

Back at home I cropped a peashoot and lettuce salad- the two peashoot boxes to the left are from pea seed that expired in 2015 and are taking longer to sprout properly, the ones to the right are from the bachelor's brand ones and despite having to cut away vines/creeper bits the leaves were lush and tasty

The outdoor salad is looking good- I added another row of lettuce seeds to each, and I'm going to do a row of peashoots too I think

The flowerbomb project is also seeing results and I think I need to learn to use less seeds because goddamn

The bean machines are getting warmed up

These are the outdoor germination experiment results so far- peas are through nicely and will be ready for a pea machine soon, and the backup beans can go somewhere I guess ukmt crew know where beans go

The pumpkins still desperately need replanting but lol I have to go buy soil, the honesty are doing great and also need repotting and somewhere in the middle keen eyes will spot a lone chilli seeding poking through

Got at least 3 strong seedlings each of the new varieties and at least 6 of my house standard, so when I get some more soil I'm about ready for tomato factory.

The remnant beans are looking a bit sad, but their companion marigolds are going well, and a few tomato twins have been transplanted into empty cells

Here's all the potted plants from the big purchase earlier in the year- doing grand despite the overgrown patio

Come a long way in a month or two from looking like the above

The black lace elderberry has gorgeous leaves, and the berberis flowers are very popular with the bees.

More. Soon.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 23, 2020

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

green snakes, but as of yet no sugarcane field

Oh poo poo Waddup

Here come dat boi. He saw a green snake, deer and foxes. Not necessarily all from up there, but he does like that spot.

Strawberries starting to flower up. I forgot a picture of the stuff we hauled in. This troubles me to extents I don't really wish to disclose so hopefully this picture serves as adequate distraction from my rank incompetence

We got to work with this stuff

And some of these

And did things like this

And now the bird table and windbreak are a bit more rugged and handsome.

We had meant to bbq up some sausages on the rocket but we forgot the sausages so it was a bit of a non starter tbh but white beans with ham and potatoes stepped up

And maybe it can go sit back down again because this really wasn't great, like cheap baked beans with lumps of potato and smoke flavouring- 3.5/10 ration pack scale but no gastrointestinal distress so far

The lad took one sniff of the ration pack and wordlessly went and grabbed a pack of noodles

I made a coffee while he was on branch dragging detail and I forgot to bring more sugar but thought "this hot chocolate powder will be fine to sweeten it up, it still smells fine, my nose knows best". Nah. It was rancid. Yuck. Reflex action spat it out. And the worst part? I think I noticed it going awhile back and then forgot. Oh well!

After that fun, we went and started clearing out some more chopped branches to clear out more of an area to the north- the oak will make nice firewood eventually.

This is what stands in my way now, dog rose and bramble thicker than my wrist and probably older than I am. But many a bird, bug and beast are currently nesting, so I'm not doing brush clearance in any major way till autumn comes

Had a wander over to look at some of the neighborhood hives and they were all a buzzin gently away in the late afternoon sun

We have a whole lot of spring and summer coming up- more soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 25, 2020

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

That there is a Comma, one of my favourites and that one looks like one that's hibernated over winter so he's an old boy in butterfly years.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

As a general update, right now I'm praying for some rain- the ground a few inches down is still okay but the top surface has been too hard for digging easily the last few visits. If I can get a few good planting days in before mid way/end of next month then I can get pretty much everything I wanted in the ground planted, but if I'm having to cut dried out clay then those ain't good planting days.

It's no big failure if I can't, but it means more time/effort will be spent caring for them in pots waiting for the autumn planting season. Next week has some forecast over a few days and hopefully this will even the odds for me. It will also let me spread some other seeds- I have many pumpkin seeds and peas that would be nice to have growing wild.

Did some video editing last night and knocked out birdfeeder footage for continued weekly releases into June, and figured out a much easier way for me to deal with chopping up the trailcam videos- now I just need to do it to about a hundred clips and I think I'm gonna gently caress off and play doom for a bit first tbh

AceClown posted:

That there is a Comma, one of my favourites and that one looks like one that's hibernated over winter so he's an old boy in butterfly years.

There were a good few of them around but I spent a lot of time trying to chase down a picture (and probably longer deleting dozens of blurred/distant shots) because they move around so much- they are really glorious and it's nice to see the little specks of colour flitting around

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Lovely to see how much progress you have made!

DesperateDan posted:

There were a good few of them around but I spent a lot of time trying to chase down a picture (and probably longer deleting dozens of blurred/distant shots) because they move around so much- they are really glorious and it's nice to see the little specks of colour flitting around

I had blurry picture problems when Tanuki and Hypatia were kittens, so I started doing short videos and then selecting frames. Much easier!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What you should be trying to find are apparently, French rations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

Lovely to see how much progress you have made!

I had blurry picture problems when Tanuki and Hypatia were kittens, so I started doing short videos and then selecting frames. Much easier!

However it seems you came here and mentioned two cattes and pictures of them and neglected to post any- I would kindly request you rectify this if at all possible, thankyou in advance for your consideration :)

Angrymog posted:

What you should be trying to find are apparently, French rations.

I have an rcir to hand that I bought a little while ago (luckily before they all tripled in price due to rona) and I'm really looking forward to it- health depending I was hoping to do a camp out overnight at some point this year and use that for sustenance but I also have two complete 24hr british army rations that are about expired now and tempting me

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

How well do you find copper tape works for slug prevention? I tried growing beans last year and they got absolutely wrecked before even the flowers came in.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

DrSnakeLaser posted:

How well do you find copper tape works for slug prevention? I tried growing beans last year and they got absolutely wrecked before even the flowers came in.

It's pretty good for stopping them crossing a line you make with the tape, but if they get past that (alternate route/hatched from egg in soil/dropped by bird/was a big chungus and just plowed through the pain) then it also tends to keep them where you don't want them, if that makes sense.

I'm saving up some eggshells to bake and then crumble to put around the base of the plants/canes but my main weapon with slugs/snails (other than grow lots more than you think) is regularly checking the area and then throwing them to the other end of the garden and hoping the birds get them before they slither back

I have seen studies that supported copper tape/eggshells and others that strongly doubted the efficiency of both but it gives me something to do about it regardless that won't harm the plants at all.

Definitely hard recommend on buying strong chilli powder cheaply in bulk to deter foxes/cats from digging up/making GBS threads in your veg though- I should try it at the field and see if it stops deer/badger attacks too

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I started a garden largely thanks to you, DD. Also, the pandemic.

Any tips for growing potatoes? I got some from the greenhouse that are already sprouting and threw them into a potato tower on some dirt/compost and then covered them in dirt.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I started a garden largely thanks to you, DD. Also, the pandemic.

Hurrah, thanks and then boo, all in order- stay safe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Any tips for growing potatoes? I got some from the greenhouse that are already sprouting and threw them into a potato tower on some dirt/compost and then covered them in dirt.

I'm going to be planting up mine soon, but as that is soon I will run through what I intend on

Few cm of compost, soil and some chicken poo poo in a container, spuds in and barely covered, then keep covering them over until near the top of the bucket happens or they start flowering then harvest when the tops are dead. Will fert with a bit more chicken poo poo as I top up soil, and maybe a liquid feed once or twice.

They are fairly hardy and will survive slug and snail raids fairly efficiently, they love water but letting the soil get fairly dry every now and then will apparently help a variety of issues- bees love the flowers too- good luck!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

DesperateDan posted:

However it seems you came here and mentioned two cattes and pictures of them and neglected to post any- I would kindly request you rectify this if at all possible, thankyou in advance for your consideration :)
Kittens, lo these many years gone past -
Tanuki decided to hide in a paper bag so as to ambush Hypatia. This is how that worked out for him:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Just chewed through this thread in about a week. Man, it's been a pleasure to catch up, and I'm looking forward to coming along.

I have to do all my gardening vicariously through you since I live in a sardine-can tract house, in the desert, down the street from a metal foundry, and a couple miles away from a rocket fuel plant that had one very bad day.

Although, I may try some planters or something this year...

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

DesperateDan posted:

It's pretty good for stopping them crossing a line you make with the tape, but if they get past that (alternate route/hatched from egg in soil/dropped by bird/was a big chungus and just plowed through the pain) then it also tends to keep them where you don't want them, if that makes sense.

I'm saving up some eggshells to bake and then crumble to put around the base of the plants/canes but my main weapon with slugs/snails (other than grow lots more than you think) is regularly checking the area and then throwing them to the other end of the garden and hoping the birds get them before they slither back

I have seen studies that supported copper tape/eggshells and others that strongly doubted the efficiency of both but it gives me something to do about it regardless that won't harm the plants at all.

Definitely hard recommend on buying strong chilli powder cheaply in bulk to deter foxes/cats from digging up/making GBS threads in your veg though- I should try it at the field and see if it stops deer/badger attacks too

After seeing a youtuber recommend them, I was planning to use brambles this year (I have never seemed to lack a supply of viciously sharp stems). This guy - https://www.growlikegrandad.co.uk/allotment/snail-problems-egg-shells-no-brambles-gypsum-yes.html - did a bunch of experiments that seem to suggest that works (and that eggshells only work to the extent of slowing the slugs down while they eat them).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

Kittens, lo these many years gone past -
Tanuki decided to hide in a paper bag so as to ambush Hypatia. This is how that worked out for him:

Thankyou, I now fully appreciate the efficacy of the technique :)

Royal W posted:

Just chewed through this thread in about a week. Man, it's been a pleasure to catch up, and I'm looking forward to coming along.

I have to do all my gardening vicariously through you since I live in a sardine-can tract house, in the desert, down the street from a metal foundry, and a couple miles away from a rocket fuel plant that had one very bad day.

Although, I may try some planters or something this year...

Glad to have you along and good luck with those planters :)

Endie posted:

After seeing a youtuber recommend them, I was planning to use brambles this year (I have never seemed to lack a supply of viciously sharp stems). This guy - https://www.growlikegrandad.co.uk/allotment/snail-problems-egg-shells-no-brambles-gypsum-yes.html - did a bunch of experiments that seem to suggest that works (and that eggshells only work to the extent of slowing the slugs down while they eat them).

That looks really effective and I have plenty of densely thorned bramble at home to play with- thanks for the links!

supplies attack

Now then

Topsoil, compost, sugar, hot choc powder, coffee, expired army ration and stale crackers

Wasn't expecting to see a gooseberry on the rounds but here an early fruit is developing all the same

Chokeberry has pretty little flowers

Strawberry plants getting stuck in hard

I think from this hair and a nearby blood trail leading into a bush that a squirrel met a violent end here and probably just a few hours before I showed

Another spot on the rounds was this oak gall

Between deer and bird I probably won't see most of these currants when they fruit, but that's fine.

Chicken dopiaza, 2 years vintage, british ministry of defence issue.

While I wait, a hot drink. Ahhh, a mocha that doesn't make me instabarf. Wonderful.

loving amazing, it smells just like takeaway curry, tastes great- good amount of heat but with well rounded flavours, 7.5/10. Would have been higher but the chicken bits were obviously not cooked in with it and it they were a bit generic/bland and dragged me out of the illusion that a delivery driver could have just dropped this off from the local tandoori. I wonder if the MoD has solved shelf stable naan bread technology.

Couldn't get a nice angle for the trailcam from a tree so I brought in my substitute and weighted it down and hopefully the whole thing hasn't been dragged by unruly wildlife into the pond, the militia is ill equipped for naval combat with a rogue vessel but bah gawd sir we will fight

Good trip for a quick supply/prepositioning run, was going to do some more varnishing in my last few minutes but it started to rain so I just sat by the pond and watched it rain for a few precious moments before it then stopped but there is more due so thankyou whatever deities were tuned in previously to my demands please can I have a date with eva green too kthnx bai

Last night I pea in a cup

I took the time to separate off the already split bits this time prior to soaking- easier than when soaked and fragile.

More salad soon. And more soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

soaking

Wet out. Snails like that, so I went and checked the tape and it seems to be working

Beans getting all wrapped up round the bamboo in relative safety

I made speciality bread.

It has pork loin, chorizo, lots of fat from those two and eggs inside (not the eggshells tho).

It is hornazo, which is a Spanish bread traditionally cooked in celebration for the return of exiled sex workers- banished from the city for lent observances but welcomed back with this wholesome treat

Raining down here too

https://i.imgur.com/eMYtziW.gifv

Made the pond all wet, so inconsiderate

Small haul, but the birds will love the sunflower seed

As it was raining, the cats sent a wet weather welcome team from their command post

Big box of seed, contents by volume 99% rejected porrage oats, 0.7% bugs, 0.3% seeds.

Scattered it in muddy patches in many places regardless

Then I gathered strike force six and we rolled out

This soil smelt so good I felt strange urges to eat some

I think this was 3 tayberry and 2 loganberry

The tayberry is mean

Didn't stop these woodlice having a party in the pot though

Where did I put that raspberry?

Oh, there you are, you rascal

These will be cherries soon

I had some more fight in me today but had to go do other things that were far less fun. Boo. Hiss. More. Soon.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:sterv:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

lol

It kinda also reminded me of the owl from adventure time

Tasted better than owls tho ...so far...

menu twenty

Well then, let's get some poo poo done.

We arrived just in time to save this young fellow from drowning in a pond and they became quite fondly attached to my boot in return. Don't recall seeing one like this before, but they certainly weren't alone :)

What's in the box?

Well, nothing but air and dust now, but menu 20 was in the box. Or at least most of menu 20- the company that sells them removes the little cookers/heater bags, taste questionnaire and range card and a part of me thinks the pasta salad got thrown in by me when I got it. The MoD keep them around 2 years and then I kept it handy for another 2 and now it's probably worth investigating and replacing.

First up was some biscuits brown and some of the cheese spread. Really enjoyable, the slight sweetness of the biscuits was met by enough cheesy taste, 7/10 field cheeseboard style

Neither of us are tuna fans at all, but we had to give it a go and... it's not bad? 5/10. This was half eaten and half left for cattes, but we both agreed if we were hungry enough it would have gone down easy enough. Maybe better with some bread? I dunno.

The birds have obviously been struggling with their rations

But I got them shipshape and squared away

Still lots of these two flying around and loving. Lots. Lots and lots. I mean, yay environment and all, but they are some of the few insects to seemingly not give a single solitary gently caress about DEET and constantly got up in our faces while smushing tooshies

The new plants are settling well- this loganberry in particular

With the coffee break was the apple turnover and meh, 3.5/10. Doughy bread, slimy apple and needed some cinnamon or raisins or something. Got hosed off into a bush half eaten in an apathetic manner by the kid

I had planned to set the trailcam for timelapse but the settings/firmware was playing silly buggers so it just got set up again normally and I'm looking into updating the firmware.

Gave the caravan battery a rainy day workout and es no bueno- an hour or so's worth of topping up this usb charger (about half of a 26,000mAh) knocked the overall voltage on the system down by over a volt, which means most of the capacity of the battery is probably just not there any more. Don't think I can service it, but will check. I might get away with a small pc fan running 24/7 and phone top-ups but much else is gonna need a new battery system.

I assembled some troops onto the battlewagon

The breakfast course was then ready- beans and potatoes and holy gently caress, 9/10. It looks really generic but the taste was rich and strong like a great veggie casserole I once enjoyed in haarlem- we fought over it bitterly and resented its absence once devoured

First up is a small leaved lime tree, close to the first feeder station

Bees apparently go wild for these

Then a hazel,

A myrobalan plum,

A currant bush,

A rowan

And a field maple :)

I wanted to do some more but I'm still battling aches and pains/fatigue- finally got the official results of the liver biopsy and it's inconclusive but no immediate worries, more blood tests in a few months. I'm happy I don't need to worry too much (and very happy to avoid hospitals for awhile) but on the other hand I'm fed up of just not knowing what's going on for over a year now.

More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 3, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Where are you getting all of these trees?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Where are you getting all of these trees?

Ah got em from't round front o't caravan lad

Everything today bar the currant came from buckingham nurseries in a big batch earlier this year as bare root transplants- just pretty much a dormant stick with roots that I potted up and nurtured at home awhile. There were about 50 plants in that order and I'm in the last dozen or so now that need planting

The currant was in a pot left for dead in brambles but survived, probably a white or red currant

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRFo8vS4NIQ

Down there now for a quick visit, noticed that this had gone public before I intended so I hope it's properly ready for you all to enjoy :)

Another two episodes should have finished uploading too, but they seem to have obeyed my schedule so you can wait a little while longer for the passions of the deer

More soon :)

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
That's rad. I didn't get a chance to watch it all, but still very cool.
I'm pretty sure you posted what camera that is, I'll have to go look it up, seems pretty decent. I had some janky one that died like 2 years ago and I've been meaning to get a new one.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rotten posted:

I'm pretty sure you posted what camera that is, I'll have to go look it up, seems pretty decent. I had some janky one that died like 2 years ago and I've been meaning to get a new one.

It's this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S67VM4N

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Oh nice, thanks dude!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rotten posted:

It is indeed

This one. I'm planning on getting a video review done and maybe buying a different one to accompany it. My initial big pile of video clips was well over a thousand, and it was easy to get it under 200 as about half had nothing in, and the quality suffers on a lot of clips due to fixed focus/small sensor so another bunch were chucked due to "well there's something there" not really holding much interest, unless I start playing it off as paranormal/cryptids

tempting tbh

kurt russell tipped a scotch into a computer in this film

So I got out the thing and just told myself to sort out a few wires then put it back

So what's the drat soldering iron doing out? This wasn't the plan!

Your skills are rusty as gently caress, look at the loving state of those globs, that's not a nasa standard line splice you twit!

But after some swearing, lots of talking to myself, a slight burn and some significant lead inhalation, it went together and actually functions

Wait, the switches are meant to be unlit when off fuuuuuck I wired the hots the wrong way round ugh resoldering time

So I found some misplaced seeds (I think one of the kids wandered off with them) and heh whatever moulded up these apple seeds can eat paper too

Cauliflower made for some interesting growth

Leeks? Tough bastards. These are going outside somewhere and we can try some more apples and maybe cauliflower but that stuffs mainly just a vehicle for cheese sauce imho

Snails got through defences and munched some beany boys, retaliated in anger and straight up murdered a bunch. Plants survived so far, and I have replacements waiting if needed.

The lavender seeds are doing some plantlike things on the comfort of my filthy windowsills and some of the bigger ones are probably ready for pots

I thought this was dead so I'm glad I didn't chuck it out- google seems to think it's called phlox and I don't even care if it's wrong cause that's one hell of a name there phlox

This place then? Alright.

https://i.imgur.com/cKHUOk7.gifv

The welcome party was overseen by a fox

Brought the lad and some old friends, but what's in the bag?

Science. Science is in the bag.

This isn't the first time I ziptied a fan in place and it won't be the last. It works! And after an hour it was still working! Not even a little fire! Yay!

But the job that had been requested was some woodwork

I did the sawing, he did the drilling and screwing

And a fine job he did too- this should help it stand up to even the chonkiest of flying friends

We did the rounds too, where we saw the honesty developing such pretty seed pods

Think I will get to eat any strawbs this year, or will the (other) beasts get them all?

Home time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9_T6hsE67I

My latest production has the theft of a dozen eggs by one-eye the fox, and the tribulations of deer love contrasted with deer warfare. And insofar as another episode is cued for tomorrow night, more soon :)

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 7, 2020

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

seven hundred and sixty cold cranking amps

So I started loading up the car but the central locking sounded feeble. Grabbed the multimeter. One dead battery. Feck.

So I went and cleared up the patio a bit, give the snails a bit less concealment and hopefully dent their morale

A nursery web spider, if I'm not mistaken. We wish you good fortunes madam, your kids will hopefully be guarding my tomatoes in a few months

Put some bramble barriers in place on the beans and planted some of the extras

Ground some eggshells for better composting, added to some carbon and then added to the compost bucket

Planted up my peas finally

And the honesty, marigolds and rhubarb got new homes too

The new battery came next morning, and let me find that the alternator is working nicely

So I threw some trees in the car

And went to the acres

Two crabapple, a maple, a hazel and a cherry delivered

After the rounds I had a meal- chicken in black bean sauce. 6.5/10, a good effort but I'm very demanding with chinese food.

The fan has really helped the atmosphere inside of the caravan- it's very fresh now. Battery was 12V before it had any direct light that day, and it was after a few days of cloud, so running the fan all the time isn't currently a problem.

A short trip but a nice time- the next chapter should be on Thursday morning and will be a very special one :) More soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Still alive, just a combo of very busy/tired/sore, and every time I make plans at the moment or even just try and take some time to write up what I did something else crops up

But stuff is indeed happening-

Apparently all masterminded by this fierce chap.

More. Soon*.

*some conditions may apply, not valid in the state of maryland

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glad you're still kicking.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

God I need to cook sausages RIGHT NOW!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Glad you're still kicking.

Well, at very least I'm flailing my legs in a determined manner :)

spookygonk posted:

God I need to cook sausages RIGHT NOW!

You do. Everyone does. We ate them partially burnt and without rolls or condiments and they were good.

some stuff from last week, maybe, who knows, it's been over sixteen years since last month

The cat didn't want to move

At least until it clear that was clear work was to be undertaken

Twenty tomato plants in some nice rich soil. It's rich because it's full of poo poo, which has relevancy to many issues under capitalism, but in agriculture it clearly serves the people. The chilli powder keeps cats and foxes out reliably and adds a touch of colour to things

Started some peppers- bit late but better than never. Will probably put some on windowsills as well as outdoor.

I went and checked the things, things seemed good

And I brought in the last of the trees, a hazel, a maple, a cherry and a rowan. I might have to keep them potted and watered till autumn unless there's a rainy end to May, and that would be easier at home but I could barely fit them in the car now, after a few months more growth I wouldn't stand a chance so here they are.

Another birdfeeder dead and another won't survive much longer. Ordered some metal ones.

It was only a short delivery trip but lots of things were very actively fluttering about and it was very pleasant.

Back at home again I remembered that I saved some flower heads from onions and carrots

The majority of the onion flowers bore no seed or had non viable looking scraps, but we still got around a dozen lookers, and maybe the carrots will prove more successful

Well yes, perhaps to three or four orders of magnitude more seeds. nice. We then planted half a dozen onion seeds, 18 carrot and 24 pumpkin but I forgot pictures.

More. Soon?

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 23, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DesperateDan posted:

Well, at very least I'm flailing my legs in a determined manner :)

You do. Everyone does. We ate them partially burnt and without rolls or condiments and they were good.

some stuff from last week, maybe, who knows, it's been over sixteen years since last month

The cat didn't want to move

At least until it clear that was clear work was to be undertaken

Twenty tomato plants in some nice rich soil. It's rich because it's full of poo poo, which has relevancy to many issues under capitalism, but in agriculture it clearly serves the people. The chilli powder keeps cats and foxes out reliably and adds a touch of colour to things

Started some peppers- bit late but better than never. Will probably put some on windowsills as well as outdoor.

I went and checked the things, things seemed good

And I brought in the last of the trees, a hazel, a maple, a cherry and a rowan. I might have to keep them potted and watered till autumn unless there's a rainy end to May, and that would be easier at home but I could barely fit them in the car now, after a few months more growth I wouldn't stand a chance so here they are.

Another birdfeeder dead and another won't survive much longer. Ordered some metal ones.

It was only a short delivery trip but lots of things were very actively fluttering about and it was very pleasant.

Back at home again I remembered that I saved some flower heads from onions and carrots

The majority of the onion flowers bore no seed or had non viable looking scraps, but we still got around a dozen lookers, and maybe the carrots will prove more successful

Well yes, perhaps to three or four orders of magnitude more seeds. nice. We then planted half a dozen onion seeds, 18 carrot and 24 pumpkin but I forgot pictures.

More. Soon?

24 pumpkins is a mind boggling amount of plants and space - how big is the plot you’re growing on?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

wooger posted:

24 pumpkins is a mind boggling amount of plants and space - how big is the plot you’re growing on?

:haw: Around about 5 acres :haw:

I'm just going to do 2 or 3 at home, similar size plot to the tomatoes and maybe one in a big bucket, the rest will go over to a few spots on the acres and I would be surprised if many make it through to next year- it's an experimental approach, something will eat them or they will survive and various things will eat pumpkin. If it pans out I will try it with specialist seeds and not just the guts of a halloween carving attempt :)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Butterfly ID Time!

Green Veined White
Red Admiral

Good spot on the Red Admiral, looks fresh too so not an over winter hibernating one!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

AceClown posted:

Butterfly ID Time!

Green Veined White
Red Admiral

Good spot on the Red Admiral, looks fresh too so not an over winter hibernating one!

Ta :)

There were a bunch of either but they were very flighty and such and especially in the latter case seemed to enjoy being up high in the trees and not stay still in photographable range but I guess I'm just gonna have to work on more wildflowers to tempt them in then steal their reflected photons

splish splash I'm posting from a bath
i even have candles and incense

Them beans been thinking about me too- and they brought flowers! :blush:

Rhubarb seeds coming along- an interesting shape to them, and another thing I want to grow in patches over at the field.

Tomatoes outnumbered, overwhelmed and in need of some assistance. Rip and tear, until it is done.

Or at least looking about 80% better, gently caress getting it perfectly when I'm just gonna be back in a few days regardless. All 20 tomatoes still doing well, and I suffer every moment now till they bear me fruit.

This young lady is keen for a place to engage her maternal habits too, and had many comrades doing the same around the absolute mess of a garden *ahem* nature patch. Last year's tomatoes had a real menagerie protecting them, hopefully will have similar this year.

Back on the clock

We brought water. And change. Change grows from the end of a power tool.

https://i.imgur.com/M4QeiRc.gifv

Oh and sausages. And fire.

Drill/screw/saw/measure/swear

Stop for ration pack based rehydration. Could have used 50% more water than stated imo, and I like things strong

The potted trees were appreciative of their own dose too

Can you tell what it is yet?

How about now? Well it's not finished, but for those who really cannot wait for more soon:

there will be more, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the slightly delayed 2 year anniversary post spectacular

Well this is gonna be a bit of a change of format from the normal posts. I just got to the acres with this stuff, and I'm not leaving for the next 24 hours+ .

This is my current inventory. Hoping to update as I go, open to suggestions cyoa style if anyone is around, right now I'm headed west and I'm likely to be eaten by a grue. More soon!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
This is an exciting new development in the story!

Let's Play: The Five Acres

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

This is an exciting new development in the story!

Let's Play: The Five Acres

Absent of instructions, I went and did the rounds and fed the birds, then sat for lunch- pork and rice with pineapple and it's 8/10 can't quite believe it's a ration pack meal

The instant coffee is pretty good for instant but the choc is gorgeous- just enough sugar to cut the strong cocoa taste. About to work on my sleeping arrangements for awhile, more soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I can't believe I'm finding ration packs meals appealing. They've really upped their game on those.